The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone else underwhelmed with modern poly synths? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I've posted this here or elsewhere before, but I was amused by the moment Roland gave professional users control over the secret of analogue sound in the XV-5080 by..... providing system-wide EQ for the unit.

The XV-5080 comes default with the EQ set to a slight bump in the lower-mid frequency range.

Why? Because -- as Bob Moog did in design of the Minimoog -- that default "sweetening" of the sound was a great marketing trick, much like the EQ pop music generally gets in recording and playback.
Another "secret" of analog vintage sound is that on some synths you can't open the filter 100%, like you can on digital synths.
When the knob on the user interface is turned all the way right, it translates to about 8Khz on a digital and you can't force it to open more even with maximum LFO/ADSR modulation amount.
I discovered that this was a lot of what I didn't like about the Andromeda. 32 sawtooths with an open wide filter ends up sounding like white noise in the high end. When I reduced the oscillator count and closed the filter a bit... I started getting the sounds I love.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear
Actually I'm overwhelmed of all the great choices out there.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Those are all DSI's, Synthguy. One company, one overall aesthetic, one vision. If I may, it seems like the subtext to this thread is that some people really don't gel with the sound of Dave Smith's recent efforts. I am one, but was never into Prophets except the VS anyway, I don't miss the Prophet 5 I had years back.

You have to acknowledge that there has been at least as much positive buzz about these synths as negative, however.
The Prophet 08 has been in production for almost 10 years so "buzz" aside I'm sure that there's more people happy with the Prophet 08 that there has been people complaining about it.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
The Prophet 08 has been in production for almost 10 years so "buzz" aside I'm sure that there's more people happy with the Prophet 08 that there has been people complaining about it.
Absolutely!
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Boomstars are monophonic and thus are designed with a ballsier vca so that they would stand up on their own. Stacking them up to make a poly would be a bit too much. It's like that in a lot of cases - that a poly sounds a bit more tamed compared to a mono, when you try to play monophonic sounds on it.
Quote:
These two demos have plenty of bread & butter sounds in them:

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the sound, but I don't think there's anything that has got an edge over the Prophet-6 or OB-6 either, which surprised me a little. That's what I meant with regards to the price of the Omega/CODE.

For clarification, I happen to like the sound of the Prophet-6 and OB-6 so it's not that I consider the Omega to be in bad company.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the sound, but I don't think there's anything that has got an edge over the Prophet-6 or OB-6 either, which surprised me a little. That's what I meant with regards to the price of the Omega/CODE.
I guess the price difference comes from the fact that the Omega/CODE:

1) Uses through hole instead of surface mount.
2) Has 8 voices vs 6
3) 3 lfo's vs 1 lfo
4) 3 envelopes vs 2 envelopes
5) 8 part multitimbral.
6) Has a screen
7) Comes with two different sets of filters (moog + SEM lp, hp, bp, notch)
8) A far more extensive mod matrix

the digital fx, arpeggiator & sequencer on the P6 and OB6 have alternatives and solutions if someone feels they are lacking from the Omega/CODE. But regarding to sound and sound design option the Omega has the advantage.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess the price difference comes from the fact that the Omega/CODE:

1) Uses through hole instead of surface mount.
2) Has 8 voices vs 6
3) 3 lfo's vs 1 lfo
4) 3 envelopes vs 2 envelopes
5) 8 part multitimbral.
6) Has a screen
7) Comes with two different sets of filters (moog + SEM lp, hp, bp, notch)
8) A far more extensive mod matrix

the digital fx, arpeggiator & sequencer on the P6 and OB6 have alternatives and solutions if someone feels they are lacking from the Omega/CODE. But regarding to sound and sound design option the Omega has the advantage.
I think the through hole and two filters are the main culprits price wise. Modulation is digital on both units so I don't think that has a major impact on price. I'm guessing Dave wanted to have direct control and no menus like on the Prophet 5 which is what prompted him to reduce modulation options on the Prophet-6, for better or worse.

I'm hoping that we'll see an 8 voice, dual VCO - dual filter based, 61 note key spiritual successor to the Prophet 08 now that it has been discontinued. A larger keyboard could also accommodate at least one more LFO and EG without resorting to menus.
Old 27th December 2016
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Were you maybe trying to suggest I'm only considering it because it's rare/desirable/mystique-laden? lol.
Not you specifically, but yes, I think rare/mystique-laden can play a part with old/discontinued instruments. I both understand it and find it funny.
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Well, I can't speak for 'people', but... I couldn't care less about the collectability of synths- it's downright stupid to make decisions based off that...
I would frankly never buy a synth that was not collectable.
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
...I think you will find that most fans of the vintage sound have plenty of digital in their setup and unless they are collectors it's condescending to say that vintage fans don't know how to program them. We do.
Let's extend the "We do" to collectors as well...
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
Buy a sunsyn. There is only one person on the planet that can fix something if it glitches out. Don't drop your Sunsyn... and pray for its components every night before bed. Lol.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Actually I'm overwhelmed of all the great choices out there.
Seriously, I wonder what "need" people are having that's not being met with the current crop.

The only thing worse than GAS is fantasy GAS for a product that doesn't exist.
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Addict

Like them or not (which I do...), imagine if DSI decided to release a new flagship in 2017 and went after the $4,000~$5000 market.

I couldn't see plugging another ~$2000 into P6/OB6 tech leaving anyone underwhelmed.

While I hear a difference I like in the demo's I have heard from the current higher end synths, the P6/OB6 sound pretty darn good and there is (IMO...and apparently some others here) an open spot at the top of the VCO poly pile

IMO, DSI (Sequential?) is about a click away.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Aging may very well be a part of it–I remember the sound of the OB-8 on its original release to be somewhat sterile, and aging capacitors (in some spots) might very impart a silky quality until they stop functioning altogether.

That said - modern polysynths lack passable factory presets (I'm so sick of toppy filter-drive presets that it actually hurts to audition some factory banks), and you might have to choose carefully based on whether you're a 2-pole or 4-pole kind of person.

Another thing worth pointing out is that you might find headphone-based auditions to be pretty meaningless; the phones outputs are often not beefy enough and a good analogue input stage helps to bring things into focus.

I'm digging my Kiwi-modded Roland JX-3P presently, along with a modern DSI Pro-2 hybrid and a Tom O SEM re-issue, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, though I bought the Pro-2 based on the sound from a pair of decently-cranked midfield monitors. As always, your mileage may vary....
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only way to top that exclusivity is to build your own. Nothing beats one-obtainium.
Old 27th December 2016
Deleted User
Time to get schooled everyone!
This is a peice of cake, let's all play nice for 2017!!!

https://youtu.be/tivES-sjHc4?t=3672
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha wow, only the finest for you!
Old 27th December 2016
Deleted User
I think, just like gain structure, programming the synth, any synth whether
35 years old, or 5 months old, should be the synthesis players responsibility.

Why live vicariously through someone else's programming skill (or lack thereof in the case of most Blofeld presets).

I think most presets are rushed to market, as the programmer is under the auspices of a timeline to market.

I have a feeling that synths nowadays are being marketed for ease of use,
and instant gratification (just like a smart phone ((which is only smart for the people selling them, and not the people using them)))

and to somewhat get back on point (maybe), have you heard the "presets"
on a JX-3P!!! lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
That said - modern polysynths lack passable factory presets (I'm so sick of toppy filter-drive presets that it actually hurts to audition some factory banks),
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Seriously, I wonder what "need" people are having that's not being met with the current crop.

The only thing worse than GAS is fantasy GAS for a product that doesn't exist.

Yeah i owned the Prophet 6 at the sometime as the OB6 they were both pretty incredible. In the end i sold the P6 and held on to the OB6. I also own the Roland system 8 and with the new juno 106 emulation its pretty convincing. I cant imagine one have problems making great music with any of those choices.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

I have a feeling that most of the assessment of synths here is actually assessment of the style of factory patches included.....

BTW if cash is a factor, YOU CANNOT MISS checking out the Xils Lab PolyKBIII, a loving recreation of the rare (30 made) PolyKobol II from RSF in France. The architecture has features in some ways similar to the Prophet 5, in others to the Matrix 12, and in most ways similar to itself. <G>

'tis on sale until January 25th, I think it is? And like so many things these days, sounds absolutely loverly, with stunning modulation capabilities to boot.

In summary: I am seriously underwhelmed with the underwhelmedness expressed in this thread. I consider it underwhelmingly underwhelming, even. There's a point where "critique" morphs seamlessly over into "missing out on 99% of life" and that point has been discovered herein. Und Zo I rezzt my kase.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds rather whelming to me!

Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post

Very Nice!!! I would take one and never sell it.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post

If you are looking for clean and precise, then yeah, sounds whelming.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I have a feeling that most of the assessment of synths here is actually assessment of the style of factory patches included.....
I have a feeling that you are wrong.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

“And you tell me, my friends, that there is no disputing of taste and tasting? But all of life is a dispute over taste and tasting. Taste – that is at the same time weight and scales and weigher; and woe unto all the living that would live without disputes over weight and scales and weighers!” – Friedrich Nietzsche

Factory patches?
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

This is the only demo I was somehow convinced with the Prophet 6, but thanks to Linnstrument poly AT, it sounds more alive. But I guess I would be surprised with any synth that supports poly AT, including many digital ones.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

This thread was excellent for helping me determine who's opinions on synths I can avoid wasting my time with.
Old 28th December 2016
+1 for the whelming of the Prophet 6!

Whelming = Cowbell
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
+1 for the whelming of the Prophet 6!

Whelming = Cowbell
"To whelm" used to mean "to bury". There was this painting, I recall, "Children are burying a stallion" ?? Nevermind
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

"The Whelming" sounds like a great name for a horror movie...

Carry on...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search