The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone else underwhelmed with modern poly synths? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd December 2016
Four octaves. Wassup with that?!?
Old 23rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
1: I don't have big sky or any shimmer verb
Actually if your DAW supports feedback routing, you can make shimmer reverb with any reverb and pitch shifter.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11692204-post1.html
Old 23rd December 2016
Deleted User
The TC Electronics HOF and Strymon Deco
are all that I need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
My alternative to this

1: I don't have big sky or any shimmer verb
2: I sound like me

Tadaaaa
Old 23rd December 2016
Deleted User
I actually enjoy 4 octaves keyboards.
I have a white Blofeld keyboard for my left hand
and a black Blofeld keyboard for my right hand.

49 keys +49 keys =98keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
Four octaves. Wassup with that?!?

Last edited by Zaphod Betamax; 23rd December 2016 at 06:33 PM..
Old 23rd December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
I agree. My main problem with this thread is the overgeneralization its premise is based upon. A relatively rational person would see the ignorance in it. A title like "anyone else underwhelmed with poly synths that aren't the OB-8?" would be more appropriate for this thread imo.

Also, the false narrative that people who find this thread flawed are "over-defensive about their modern poly synths being attacked" is distracting and unfounded. I mean are the Studio Electronics Omega 8 and Jomox Sunsyn considered modern poly synths or not? I'm still confused about everything.
Right-e-o.
Old 23rd December 2016
Some old and some new synths are great, some are good and some are garbage. I have my personal opinions based on the music I like to create which is which. Certain periods of time from certain manufactures had a certain sound for awhile and then they moved on to other designs. I pick a choose my favorites old and new and then get on with making music. Its no big deal and a lot of fun. I take no prisoners.
Old 23rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
49 keys + 49 keys = 88 keys
Maybe in Canada.
Old 23rd December 2016
Deleted User
I think I made a math error!
European version
I think I made a maths error!
please read the edited post!
p.s. wouldn't it be cool if messages had object linking and embedding,
so when I changed my edited post to reflect 98 keys,
your quote would also change to 98 as well!!
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/1y0d88ts8zy1um7/Audio-Term.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
Maybe in Canada.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayersweb View Post
I thought the same thing... something like a Virus TI could probably sound very close and as good. I know very little about the Modal synths... just commenting on the demo.
Just to squirt lighter fluid on the fire, let me send a thrill up the legs of some here.

I love hardware, analog, VA and rompler. They all provide nourishment to our musical needs in their own ways. And analog fans take note, many VAs provide sonic resources and modulation capability that only a massive modular can equal.

But what rocks so hard these days for pennies on the thousand? Softsynths. You can buy 10 to 20 for the price of a Kronos or Solaris. And they sound GREAT! Juicy filters, OSCs which aren't brittle unless that's what you want, some of them are modular out the wazoo. Dredge up some awesome YT vid of a 008, JD-XA or Solaris in blazing glory, and some yahoo with Omnisphere or Zebra might be able to recreate it almost to the harmonic. How does that make us hardware guys feel?

Well, who cares? I'm all about those subtle flavors that even VAs bring to the table. I still cling to my theology that when you get down to it, a Kronos will sing with textures that a JD-XA can't get, and an XA won't sound like a Kurzweil, or a Radias, or a Virus, or a 008, ad synthium. So you guys with your Solari and 008s and OB-8s, don't get defensive or depressed if some kid with a $75 VST makes a patch that you have to write off as something that isn't even close, when you're sweating because it is. Use it as incentive to fire up your megaboards and program them and use those awesome patches in a piece of music you share here. Then fold your arms and look all cool. Or listen to Synth Guru's Incantation and wonder how the heck you get that sound you said you don't like but secretly admire (says synthguy under his breath).
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

NO one mentioned analog4. no love 4 it?
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
I would respectfully submit that this is incorrect with two synths in particular: the Behringer Deepmind-12 and Roland JD-XA.

Anyone who isn't just a little bit amazed at what the DM12 can do is either fibbing to themselves, or doesn't like anything but blirpy noises. I've listened to demos and have been utterly floored, thinking that Uri's team somehow snuck a Solaris in there. The sounds that it's capable of with a fairly traditional synth architecture are simply amazing.

The JD-XA cheats by also being a digital SN synth, but I don't care. The melding of four mere analog voices on top of a very capable sixty-four voice SN section with some pretty darn good effects is amazing. The patches it shippped with are mostly garbage, but hint at an extremely potent synthesizer. The Axial patch libraries help it a lot. But the real magic comes when you roll your own patches on one. It's one of those black hole synths, like a JD-990 on steroids.
Agreed. The DM12 brings some fresh ideas to the analog world along, but the JD-XA is something pretty much totally new. (Have there been any digital/analog synths before?)

Either way, it really pushes the envelope (no pun intended) of modern hardware synths, and it never fails to surprise me how good and detailed it can sound, both in great raw sound and all the magic that comes when you layer parts and get them blending beautifully and cross-modding etc.

Everytime I step up to it i'm blown away by the options it brings to the table.

btw newer versions ship with most the Axial patches loaded (and the matte surface rather than the contentious glossy one). VennD68 on this forum made a really nice set of presets as well.

I would like a screen to make diving deep in to it a little easier rather than scrolling through on the little LCD screen, but it's not the end of the world. I'd love a VST editor for it though to help speed up the workflow, as it does take a bit of time to program big patches, but maybe that's just me not having spent enough time with it yet.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'm aligned with OP on this one, no current analogue poly (from 3 voices) has the same and beautifull sound power than some classics (I'm an oberheim fan I admit).
For my tastes following brands :dsi, studio electronics, Schmidt, elektron are still behind on the sonic side than some old classic...(Vermona poly is not really a poly imho but 4 mono in the same package).
Of course good musicians can compose a beautiful song on a xylophone ...
Big hopes on the Mfb dominion 5 or 6 (I believe it's the only brand which can have "this" sound everybody is looking for and maybe the new *Dreadbox if it has patch storage.
To be followed !

Last edited by isham; 24th December 2016 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Mistake at dreadbox naming
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayersweb View Post
I thought the same thing... something like a Virus TI could probably sound very close and as good. I know very little about the Modal synths... just commenting on the demo.
Just to squirt lighter fluid on the fire, let me send a thrill up the legs of some here.

I love hardware, analog, VA and rompler. They all provide nourishment to our musical needs in their own ways. And analog fans take note, many VAs provide sonic resources and modulation capability that only a massive modular can equal.

But what rocks so hard these days for pennies on the thousand? Softsynths. You can buy 10 to 20 for the price of a Kronos or Solaris. And they sound GREAT! Juicy filters, OSCs which aren't brittle unless that's what you want, some of them are modular out the wazoo. Dredge up some awesome YT vid of a 008, JD-XA or Solaris in blazing glory, and some yahoo with Omnisphere or Zebra might be able to recreate it almost to the harmonic. How does that make us hardware guys feel?

Well, who cares? I'm all about those subtle flavors that even VAs bring to the table. I still cling to my theology that when you get down to it, a Kronos will sing with textures that a JD-XA can't get, and an XA won't sound like a Kurzweil, or a Radias, or a Virus, or a 008, ad synthium. So you guys with your Solari and 008s and OB-8s, don't get defensive or depressed if some kid with a $75 VST makes a patch that you have to write off as something that isn't even close, when you're sweating because it is. Use it as incentive to fire up your megaboards and program them and use those awesome patches in a piece of music you share here. Then fold your arms and look all cool. Or listen to Synth Guru's Incantation and wonder how the heck you get that sound you said you don't like but secretly admire (says synthguy under his breath).
I had an amusing experience not long ago; I'd been spending time in "complex, multi-instrument into DAW (Sonar Platinum)" mode. I was playing in a melodic line at one point, thinking it was coming from the analogue keyboard I was using, only to discover afterwards that I'd been playing one of my Arturia softsynths!

It sounded great, and further undermined any prejudices I might have left over the whole "which is better" thing.

Rest assured that any instrument you already own is probably far better than any of the discussions here might make it out to be. The trick is making good music with it, and that is entirely up to you!
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post
I'm aligned with OP on this one, no current analogue poly (from 3 voices) has the same and beautifull sound power than some classics (I'm an oberheim fan I admit).
For my tastes following brands :dsi, studio electronics, Schmidt, elektron are still behind on the sonic side than some old classic...(Vermona poly is not really a poly imho but 4 mono in the same package).
Of course good musicians can compose a beautiful song on a xylophone ...
Big hopes on the Mfb dominion 5 or 6 (I believe it's the only brand which can have "this" sound everybody is looking for and maybe the new *Dreadbox if it has patch storage.
To be followed !
If these sound "sonically behind" to you, you'd most likely only be pleased with a "vintage" poly synth. I believe the Roland Juno 106 and Yamaha DX7 are undoubtedly considered vintage poly synths. Since they are considered to be vintage poly synths, they will please you more than anything that can ever be created today or in the future.

Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

I see 3 Oberheim OB-8's and 2 OB-Xa's for sale on EBay at this very moment. I see 2 OB-8's and 2 OB-Xa's on Reverb. I never see these synths not available to buy, and I haven't even checked Craigslist.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
1) slap Big Sky on everything
2) sound like everyone else
That shimmery Strymon reverb you hear everywhere is very tasteful in a way I find distasteful.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see 3 Oberheim OB-8's and 2 OB-Xa's for sale on EBay at this very moment. I see 2 OB-8's and 2 OB-Xa's on Reverb. I never see these synths not available to buy, and I haven't even checked Craigslist.
it may shock you to know that we don't all live in the USA
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
it may shock you to know that we don't all live in the USA
I ship and buy things outside of the US regularly.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

FYI I see two OB-8's on EBay.uk right now.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

every modern analog or virtual analog we've tried in the studio has been easily defeated by the vintage synths in our studio.
the only advantage to us, since we meticulously service all our gear to work like new or better (so reliability isn't the issue it might be with an unserviced or improperly serviced instrument), is the fact that the parameters are usually all midi controllable. however, the better vintage sound combined with the feel and inspiration you get when you're sitting in front of a beautiful 30-40 year old instrument are the reasons we havent replaced anything vintage with anything new.
mini
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
FYI I see two OB-8's on EBay.uk right now.
Nope...
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope...
Well, I guess your only option now is to wait until someone creates an exact OB-8 replica, and distributes it in your country at a cost you approve of.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

This thread is maddening. I admit defeat. Vintage everything is better than modern everything. Merry Christmas.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

What's new is old again!

Happy Upside Down Holi Days! :>
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I guess your only option now is to wait until someone creates an exact OB-8 replica, and distributes it in your country at a cost you approve of.
Eh? There's no need to be snippy - I'm just saying that they are not readily available here, so 'go buy a vintage synth then' doesn't really apply. And buying a (say) £5000 'delicate' vintage synth from the USA, along with it's 110V power supply and trusting that the shipping will work out well (because FedEx never break anything) - and then paying tax on that £5000 doesn't really sound like fun to me...

It's a bit like with guitar amps - on forums when I was buying an amp, people in the USA often said 'you'd be mad to buy the reissue, you can get a real, hand wired silverface 70s deluxe reverb for less money'... well, you can't over here.

That's all, really.

I played with an OB-6 the other day and thought it was cool. Still think I'd prefer the Prophet, though. I intend to buy one in the next few months.

Last edited by The Beatsmith; 24th December 2016 at 07:03 PM..
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Eh? There's no need to be snippy - I'm just saying that they are not readily available here, so 'go buy a vintage synth then' doesn't really apply. And buying a (say) £5000 'delicate' vintage synth from the USA, along with it's 110V power supply and trusting that the shipping will work out well (because FedEx never break anything) - and then paying tax on that £5000 doesn't really sound like fun to me...

It's a bit like with guitar amps - on forums when I was buying an amp, people in the USA often said 'you'd be made to buy the reissue, you can get a real, hand wired silverface 70s deluxe reverb for less money'... well, you can't over here.

That's all, really.

I played with an OB-6 the other day and thought it was cool. Still think I'd prefer the Prophet, though. I intend to buy one in the next few months.
I see. I guess my main point is that they're available. A little easier to access in the US since it's a US synth. But if nothing else will do, it's right there waiting.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Rest assured that any instrument you already own is probably far better than any of the discussions here might make it out to be. The trick is making good music with it, and that is entirely up to you!
Fair dinkum.

I have no doubt that the majority of slutz, even the most jaded "only vintage will do" purists, would have a similar unguarded moment if shown they were really playing a VA or softie. Like I say, all protestations aside, almost everything sounds good these days. I'm still impressed with what you can get out of the first two VAs, the Nord Lead 1 and JP-8000. And the JD-XA isn't even fair, as Gattobus demonstrates so capably.

So a true synth afficionado like me who loves everything, hates it when the kids fight over resonant filter sweeps and if the Prophet~6 or OB-6 is really all that cool. I mean... FIRST OBERHEIM POLY IN DECADES! The day it was unveiled should be a national holiday! We're getting the release of honest to God serious polyanalogs with discreet components, which many here were crying bloody tears for, and then when it happens, the grumps wipe their eyes and turn away and mutter, "What's so special?" Didn't some of us call it in the Jupiter-80 thread?

This is such an awesome day to live, because you can buy a $75 softie, grab an old Virus from ebay, or save up the price of a house to buy a Moog Modular, and make music and synth textures with them that have never been heard before. And the only poor souls who feel bad are those who make the mistake of listening to some grinch here who insists what they bought isn't all that special. Unless it's the modular.

This age is too freaking hip for words. You can have anything, and you can do great things with it. Take realtrance's and my and the other yaysayer's advice: go forth and do so.

And Merry Christmas again, one and all.
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

We need someone to go out in the street and interview non-synth nerds about polysynths.

"Hey what do you think about this one?"

I suspect the result would be somewhere between- "they all sound the same" and "another synth..? Do you have a piano sound?" and "that one sounds really cheesy just like that one" and "wow, you can play five cat fart sounds all at once?" and "no sane person would pay $5k to make that sound, you need help"
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
We need someone to go out in the street and interview non-synth nerds about polysynths.

"Hey what do you think about this one?"

I suspect the result would be somewhere between- "they all sound the same" and "another synth..? Do you have a piano sound?" and "that one sounds really cheesy just like that one" and "wow, you can play five cat fart sounds all at once?" and "no sane person would pay $5k to make that sound, you need help"
I had a girlfriend that said electronic music wasn't real music, because she couldn't identify the instruments into the tracks. She was into surf rock and all that ****, I only dated her because she was cute. True story!
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Regardless, there is something about vintage analog polys that most modern analog polys do not have. It's not magic dust or aging components. They were designed and built to different specs.

I think you will find that most fans of the vintage sound have plenty of digital in their setup and unless they are collectors it's condescending to say that vintage fans don't know how to program them. We do.

You can make whatever compelling arguments you want about how good modern stuff is and that's fine, it is good. Yes, and it also sounds different.

As regards boutique reissue amps not sounding the same, well that is my opinion too. It's based on having both reissues and the real deal in the studio. Not magic dust there either, but it's not my fault that many reissues don't sound the same, not even close to the same. Maybe the companies aren't being completely honest about how closely they followed the original spec. Some sound close - but I would argue that reissue synths like the new Mini and MS-20 get closer to the sounds of the originals than many of these amps do.

Anyone who is A/Bing day in and day out and not with the bias that one sound is better is qualified to an opinion. The more one knows one's tools, the easier it is to spot differences. This means programming and arranging differently, hence a different result.

That they are different means that you use them for different tasks. My main recording amp is a vintage Fender that is insta-Clapton, which is nice but will not cover a more modern sound - plenty of modern boutiques (that won't do insta-Clapton) for that. For those of us with both vintage and modern synths, getting the modern ones to sound vintage is a waste of time, its better to play to the strengths of any given synth.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search