The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th December 2016
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!!

Dreadbox effects & synthesizers – nyx

Old 15th December 2016
Deleted User
An absolute must-have! The brand new Dreadbox Nyx is simply inspirational!

Dual Filter

Routing for VCO plus VCF and Modulation

Soon video with this beauty.

The reverb is so vintage and nice that makes us love this unique synth even more.

A big ACE to you Dreadbox

AVAILABLE MID JANUARY

Specs:

Analog Paraphonic Synthesizer
Unique Reverb Effect by Crazy Tube Circuits (as found on Splash Mk3)
2 x VCO with separate glide controls
Dual State Variable 24 or 12dB / oct Filter
Triangle wave LFO
Triple Unique Envelope Generator (can be used as an LFO)
Unique Routing control (allows open architecture)
15 patches for an astonishing Modular experience:
CV Outputs: VCO2 direct wave out with attenuation control,
Envelope 1 , Envelope 2 (with attenuation), Modulation Wheel, Gate, Midi to CV
CV Inputs: Osc1 Frequency, Osc2 Frequency, VCF Cut off (for both filters),VCF Cut off (post for the 2nd filter), VCO1 PW, Gate, CV, VCA

http://synthesizer.gr/dreadbox-nyx

~violetta~
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Awesome! Really interested in this!
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

Well I see that in my rig this year.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

price?
Old 16th December 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NebulaZero View Post
price?
says $670 on the site
Old 16th December 2016
Deleted User
Not sure about paraphonic, but I have great faith in Dreadbox. Other synths may have better specs, but Dreadbox has the sound.

That's my Minilogue in the bin.
Old 16th December 2016
Deleted User
Just pre-ordered one from Synthesizer GR in Greece. Price €555 inc delivery to the UK, which is about £80 cheaper than KMR, which was the only English stockist I could find. That makes it only about £30 more than the Erebus.

EDIT: I was billed €537.10, which is about £450.00.
Old 16th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Just pre-ordered one from Synthesizer GR in Greece. Price €555 inc delivery to the UK, which is about £80 cheaper than KMR, which was the only English stockist I could find. That makes it only about £30 more than the Erebus.

EDIT: I was billed €537.10, which is about £450.00.
or $560, very good price indeed!
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

It would be nice if you could polychain multiple Nyxes.
Old 16th December 2016
I love the sound of a new synth! It's like that new car smell when you get behind the wheel.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Why limit paraphony polyphony?
All vintage organs are unlimited polyphony "synths".
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

And they stopped being made at almost exactly the same time. Farfisa and others stopped making them in 81-82. Not one since then !
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Excited, when I had the Erebus I absolutely loved how it sounded. As 'vintage' as anything else I've heard that isn't 'vintage'.

I hope they sort out the tuning range 'issue' between osc1 and osc2, but it's not a deal breaker either way for me.

Smart product.
Old 16th December 2016
Deleted User
No sign of the video Dreadbox said would be here by Wednesday, but really like they way this was just dropped on its website. No prolonged build-up, just 'coming next month'. Can't help contrasting that with Behringer's DM12, which is going to see like an old product when it finally arrives.
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Guru

Cool...they make some interesting and good sounding stuff, they confuse me with their marketing of somethings though, like they will make a product and then without notice it's not in production any more or there was only a small limited number made, and what happened to their new euro rack range..they had some new cheap modules coming didn't they..?
Old 16th December 2016
Deleted User
This is the Splash Mk.III reverb that Dreadbox says will feature in Nyx. Dreadbox's implementation seems to be missing the excite feature. Presumably just algorithm one as well.

BTW, I hadn't realised Crazy Tube Circuits is Greek as well.

Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

serious reverb to include on an analogue synth
Old 16th December 2016
Deleted User
First demo up:

Quote:
This is a one take jam with a single Nyx synthesizer.
no external effects where used during this recording
We used a Novation Bass Station II as a midi controller and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
First demo up:

That's a glorious demo. Hats off.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Haven't had the pleasure of seeing any of their stuff in the flesh, but these guys seem to be killing it. Theirs stuff always sounds really good in any of the demos I've checked out.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear
I'm confused.
So, this only plays two notes at a time? Wouldn't it just be duophonic?
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
I'm confused.
So, this only plays two notes at a time? Wouldn't it just be duophonic?
Duophonic would mean it has 2 complete voices.
This plays the second note using the same filter/env/vca. etc.. paraphonic.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Does it also have a high pass filter?
Old 16th December 2016
I like what they are doing. Small, semi-modular, with cv/gate or MIDI, and the little FX are a nice touch. Best of all, Dreadbox's stuff all sounds RAW AS F#$*! The Erebus has a lot of bottom end, and that's not even their bass synthesizer.

TBH, I'd prefer the delay, but the dual filter, yeah.....winner.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Addict

The Dreadbox Hades is my favourite buy of this year and I was thinking about about getting the Erebus in a few weeks but I really like the sound of this.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Guru

sounds super on my laptop, can only imagine how it sounds through my proper monitors..
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Guru

you could probably get that reverb to sound like a delay with short time/decay..

I just wish the unit tilted up at the user instead of flat on the desk, but that's a personal ergonomic thing..
Old 17th December 2016
what a glorious magnificent sweet tone

but these Dreadbox guys drive me lil crazy - they always make an absolutely wonderful sounding synth, but manage to cripple them by lack of some fundamental synthesis controls. similar to inclusion of delay on Erebus, adding fancy extras like this digi reverb may seem nice, but it comes at an expense of other things, since they insist of such small form factor.

while reverb certainly sounds magnificent and very interesting, given the choice i would have preferred more classic synth elements like normal ADSRs, pw/pwm for both oscillators, more waveforms, controls for each of the two SVFs , interval btwn osc etc. i can always add reverb later. either that, or simply make a little bigger synth. think there is a huge gap in their range; btwn these small boxes and murmux v2, which is otoh everything but the kitchen sink. a lot a room in btwn for a well balanced product.

the duo-paraphonic thing: i just hope there is a way to turn this off, otherwise it can create problems when you want to play your regular mono/legato, like it does on Arp Odyssey.

all in all, after playing erebus and hades, omicron, lamda and their euro range, and now reading about nyx - they sure became my favorite company on face of earth as far as understanding vintage organic analog tone. but some of their design, feature and routing decisions are strange and frustrating.

now i am in dillema, should i order this. or save my pennies for that Abyss. if its coming at all.. a SVF tone of this thing in full polyphonic version - arghghg i'd die and go to heaven immediately
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
First demo up:

is that the opening arp to stranger things??

Sounds amazing, and finally a built in reverb that doesn't sound like crap (looking at you elektron!)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search