The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post
Okay well i have two monophonic midi channels available to sequence with. How would i best take advantage of the paraphony of this synth with them?
You can set nyx to receive at all midi channels, so combining two mono midi-channels should work (all in theory, I don't have nyx (yet))
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Nut

so the Battster has had the Nyx for well over a week and still no sign of a review? Wonder what's going on. Perhaps he's broken it and can't bring himself to tell Yannis...
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

I was set to order an NYX, but having the midi channel selector switch inside the box has killed it for me. I want to use it live, so I can't be popping the back off in the middle of a show to switch midi channels. I hope they do a V2 of the NYX and mount a switch for this on the outside where it's easily accessible.
Old 31st March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I was set to order an NYX, but having the midi channel selector switch inside the box has killed it for me. I want to use it live, so I can't be popping the back off in the middle of a show to switch midi channels.
why on earth would you change the midi channel mid show?
Old 31st March 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
I can't be popping the back off in the middle of a show to switch midi channels.
Can't see the need to do that myself, but be warned, Erebus and Hades have internal dip switches too. However, Abyss' dipswitches are on the back panel by the look of the prototypes.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

I can't picture any situation where needing to change the midi channel for a device in the middle of a set couldn't be addressed with a workaround. It's a really abnormal deal-breaker for a synth imo.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Everyone is different. I popped mine open, set the DIP switch for unison, selected a MIDI channel (you have a choice of 2 to 7), and closed it back up. Total time was less than 5 minutes.

Now it sits on my stand receiving MIDI and sounding great.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Head

What are actually the alternatives to Nyx - "Night" (darker sounding, with character) in that price range?
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasses View Post
You can set nyx to receive at all midi channels, so combining two mono midi-channels should work (all in theory, I don't have nyx (yet))
Thanks, yeah I'd figure it would do. Logically it would. I don't have one either, but I reckon that's gonna change next pay day!
Old 1st April 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stage6 View Post
What are actually the alternatives to Nyx - "Night" (darker sounding, with character) in that price range?
If you're using the modulators to full effect I'd say none. Nyx is a lot more than an everyday subtractive with a Splash reverb stuck on the end. Which is what one ex-owner (upthread) seemed to think.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
why on earth would you change the midi channel mid show?
It's just the way I work, the way I have my gear set up. Everyone does not work/program the same. Gear requirements differ depending on people's workflow.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Everyone is different. I popped mine open, set the DIP switch for unison, selected a MIDI channel (you have a choice of 2 to 7), and closed it back up. Total time was less than 5 minutes.

Now it sits on my stand receiving MIDI and sounding great.
If I wasn't planning on using the NYX at shows, then it would be a non issue.
Old 1st April 2017
Quote:
It's just the way I work, the way I have my gear set up. Everyone does not work/program the same. Gear requirements differ depending on people's workflow.
yes, but why do you have to change midi channel mid show?
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, but why do you have to change midi channel mid show?
One reason is that I already have a slew of songs written & programmed where I would like to incorporate the NYX. I use all 16 midi channels, and multiple sound modules, and I don't always use the same sounds on the same midi channels. It just isn't flexible. If it was the only midi module that I used it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 1st April 2017
Quote:
One reason is that I already have a slew of songs written & programmed where I would like to incorporate the NYX. I use all 16 midi channels, and multiple sound modules, and I don't always use the same sounds on the same midi channels. It just isn't flexible. If it was the only midi module that I used it wouldn't be an issue.
yeah, only way round that i suppose is to pre-plan your show and exchange the midi channels around (most seq can do this) so all the sounds you want the Nyx to play is on the same channel, not that difficult to do tbf.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, only way round that i suppose is to pre-plan your show and exchange the midi channels around (most seq can do this) so all the sounds you want the Nyx to play is on the same channel, not that difficult to do tbf.
The problem with that, is that I'm already triggering existing sounds from modules on certain midi channels, so if I reprogram those channels to work for a set midi channel on the NYX, then all of a sudden they don't work anymore with the way I have my romplers programmed.

Believe me, I really wanted to incorporate the NYX into my music, I think it sounds fantastic.

I'd love to see them mount a little midi channel switch on the back of the unit like the old Electrix rack units have.

Old 1st April 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
I'd love to see them mount a little midi channel switch on the back of the unit like the old Electrix rack units have.
The old Anatek MIDI Pocket Channel should add what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!!-s-l1600-2.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Got to demo another Nyx in-store today. The VCA seemed to respond better to the modulator on this one, with a less abrupt decay. I guess that, much like guitars, individual boutique instruments are going to differ noticeably between each other.

Next to it was an Erebus, which I found a little more controllable but with a similar core sound to the Nyx. Personally, I preferred it and knew straight away that it would find a lot more use in my setup. I definitely agree with the previous posts suggesting that the Nyx is for more advanced synthesis. It's much trickier to tune and dial in the sound you want with those sliders, compared to the Erebus's knobs.

My own feeling is that the Erebus is a well-balanced and complete instrument in itself. The Nyx, on the other hand, feels a whole lot weirder and less self-contained - as if it is perhaps better suited to being a part of a modular setup. VCA envelope response aside, I really liked it. The Erebus, however, was love at first sight/sound.
Old 6th April 2017
Deleted User
Had Nyx and Erebus triggering each other last night to produce an amazing rhythm track. I can see Nyx becoming the modulation hub of my system.
Old 8th April 2017
Deleted User

This is unintentionally hilarious, though I suspect it's typical of most users' first run-in with the Nyx. Starts about 15 minutes in:
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Head

Does anyone know how to record the Dreadbox NYX via MIDI?

I want to record audio via midi data and i can't seem to figure it out using the NYX. I have a midi cable going out of my midi controller and into the midi input of the NYX.

I am using Cubase 8.5 on a pc.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHorizon View Post
Does anyone know how to record the Dreadbox NYX via MIDI?

I want to record audio via midi data and i can't seem to figure it out using the NYX. I have a midi cable going out of my midi controller and into the midi input of the NYX.

I am using Cubase 8.5 on a pc.
well you should record audio via an audio cable that goes from nyx's audio out to one of your interface's/mixer's audio in.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zet View Post
well you should record audio via an audio cable that goes from nyx's audio out to one of your interface's/mixer's audio in.
I have already done that.

The NYX does not recognise the MIDI messages coming from Cubase.

I have midi cables plugged in between my midi controller and the NYX.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Head

I am not sure if this has anything to do with the dip switch that is in the NYX.
I am not sure if you have to enable the dip switch in order for the NYX to receive MIDI.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have already done that.

The NYX does not recognise the MIDI messages coming from Cubase.

I have midi cables plugged in between my midi controller and the NYX.
if the nyx midi in is connected to your controller then you cannot send midi from cubase.

but anyway the midi out of your audio interface should be connected to the midi in of nyx. then you should try and send the midi messages from the daw. as the nyx is set to omni mode by default you can use any midi channel. hope this helps!
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbel View Post
so the Battster has had the Nyx for well over a week and still no sign of a review? Wonder what's going on. Perhaps he's broken it and can't bring himself to tell Yannis...
This is why I'm glad I catch Sonic Talk live. In one of the recent episodes Nick showed off the Nyx in an improptu "mess-around" (that's a technical term donchaknow) and after we recovered from the massive sub bass... he mentioned that a review won't happen until after Sonic State returned from visiting Messe.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zet View Post
if the nyx midi in is connected to your controller then you cannot send midi from cubase.

but anyway the midi out of your audio interface should be connected to the midi in of nyx. then you should try and send the midi messages from the daw. as the nyx is set to omni mode by default you can use any midi channel. hope this helps!
I may have connected the wrong device. I'll try connecting the midi cable to my audio interface instead of my midi controller.

I'll let you know the result.
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I may have connected the wrong device. I'll try connecting the midi cable to my audio interface instead of my midi controller.

I'll let you know the result.
I have managed to sort out this issue. I set the midi input as my audio interface in the external instruments section within Cubase.

Now onto my next question.

What is the analogue INPUT for on the NYX? Am I able to use the NYX as an external effect within Cubase or is it used for something else?

I even tried setting up the NYX as an external effect before but i couldn't seem to get it to work. The filter cutoff wouldn't respond when using the NYX as an external effect.
Old 9th April 2017
Quote:
I even tried setting up the NYX as an external effect before but i couldn't seem to get it to work. The filter cutoff wouldn't respond when using the NYX as an external effect.
The external input doesn't go through the filter, it goes through the reverb only.
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
The external input doesn't go through the filter, it goes through the reverb only.
Ok that's good to know
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search