The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 26th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHorizon View Post
Right ok. How about the, "In" jack on the NYX? Is that mono too? I have tried my headphones on both the IN and OUT and they are both coming out of the left speaker. Is there a way of making it a stereo signal?
Buy a second one...
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Head

Now i have established that both the, "IN" and, "OUT" is mono. I plugged in both the in and outs on the nyx and i get 2 different sounds coming out of both speakers. One channel has reverb on it and the other one doesn't. One channel responds to the master level and the other one responds to the oscillator level.

I think i may have to contact the retailer to understand the architecture of this synth.
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Head

I can get 2 signals coming out of my speakers. They​ just both sound different.
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
Buy a second one...
Lol
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Lol
You have to set up your audio interface so it knows that it is a mono out. Then it will come out of both speakers. Its not the synth, its your mixer setup.
Old 26th March 2017
Deleted User
Doug, just out of interest is this your first synthesiser?
Old 26th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
That, or Doug's a couple of pitchers of Bloody Marys deep already today....
Old 26th March 2017
Deleted User
Dreadbox has just posted a Nyx blank patch sheet.

http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/wp-conten.../blank-nyx.pdf
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think i may have to contact the retailer to understand the architecture of this synth.
I think the manual would be a better starting point: http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/wp-conten...ers-manual.pdf
Old 27th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
This is my first mono synth.
Old 27th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
I think the manual would be a better starting point: http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/wp-conten...ers-manual.pdf
Yeah and the manual would help also.
Old 27th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
That, or Doug's a couple of pitchers of Bloody Marys deep already today....
Lol
Old 27th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Dreadbox has just posted a Nyx blank patch sheet.

http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/wp-conten.../blank-nyx.pdf
That would help as you obviously can't save any patches.

I'm still in the process of setting up the synth.

The reverb effect on the NYX is very nice i must say!
Old 27th March 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Well, it's not what I would recommend as a first mono, but once you grasp the way the EGs/LFOs interact it's not so different from a normal ADSR synth. Stay with it. The manual will help.

Maybe set the patch matrix aside until you've mastered the standard controls. Though in truth that's when Nyx can become most interesting.
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
All joking aside, congrats! You made a great pick going with a DB synth. I've only had mine for a few days, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this thing in my limited time with it.
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Well, it's not what I would recommend as a first mono, but once you grasp the way the EGs/LFOs interact it's not so different from a normal ADSR synth. Stay with it. The manual will help.

Maybe set the patch matrix aside until you've mastered the standard controls. Though in truth that's when Nyx can become most interesting.
Mono synths such as the Korg Minilogue and the Monologue, even the DSI prophet synths didn't really interest me too much.

With the NYX it's almost a different breed of analogue synth in accordance to the synths that i have mentioned above. It's about finding the right synth for your own sound.
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
All joking aside, congrats! You made a great pick going with a DB synth. I've only had mine for a few days, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this thing in my limited time with it.
Yeah I'll get use to it eventually. I'm sure the NYX would be good for layering and other interesting sounds.
Old 28th March 2017
Hey everybody - absolutely loving my NYX but it seems to have developed a fault. Non of the Reverb (Time, Decay or Mix) is responsive in any way at all. Or it could be user error on my behalf of course. Any ideas?
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil F View Post
Hey everybody - absolutely loving my NYX but it seems to have developed a fault. Non of the Reverb (Time, Decay or Mix) is responsive in any way at all. Or it could be user error on my behalf of course. Any ideas?
With the routing knobs at Norm/LPF and the Mod Routing to Single, and the post in the middle, you should hear the oscillators, right?

If you do and you crank up the Mix to max and the delay up 3/4 you should definitely be hearing the reverb.

Anything plugged into the Ext In jack? Pull it out if so.
Old 29th March 2017
Deleted User
In the manual's introduction, Yannis warns that 'advance synthesis knowledge is required to successfully use the Nyx'.

Seems Dreadbox needs to emphasise that a bit more. Erebus is easy to use so Nyx will come as a shock to some buyers. As this thread has already shown.
Old 29th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
With the routing knobs at Norm/LPF and the Mod

Anything plugged into the Ext In jack? Pull it out if so.
Stupid user error

Cheers
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stupid user error

Cheers

Glad it's sorted. Was it something subtle or was it something like what I've done before? (plugged a cable into the footpedal jack and wonder why I have no output)
Old 29th March 2017
Quote:
Glad it's sorted. Was it something subtle or was it something like what I've done before? (plugged a cable into the footpedal jack and wonder why I have no output)
Yep, got it in one. Cable plugged into wrong place

The stupid ones are the hardest to spot
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, got it in one. Cable plugged into wrong place

The stupid ones are the hardest to spot
Word of advice - before you re-do the MIDI cabling in your setup, make sure you label *both* ends of the MIDI cables with the gear and port number...

Cost me a weekend of debugging why I couldn't get my sequencer to talk to certain machines. (Cirklon has 5 MIDI ins and outs and I also have a 16x32 MIDI patchbay plus another 6x8 MX-8 patchbay).
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Head

I can't find a power switch on the NYX. And the Vibrato level slider LED is always on.

Is this a normal function?
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't find a power switch on the NYX. And the Vibrato level slider LED is always on.

Is this a normal function?
There isn't one, and yes.

As people have pointed out - the NYX *may* not be a good first hardware synth for people. There are some idiosyncrasies that can throw people off.

Spend time exploring all the functions. You can't break anything - the worst that happens is you have settings that produce no sound. Check on-line for basic subtractive synthesis principles and combine that with their manual and just have some fun exploring what it can do.

BTW - a lot of people put gear like this on power strips so all the gear can be turned on/off with a single control. It's become a bit more common these days to have gear with no separate power switch.
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Can i sequence the two oscillators separately on 2 midi channels in its 'duo' mode?

And are they velocity sensitive?
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post
Can i sequence the two oscillators separately on 2 midi channels in its 'duo' mode?

And are they velocity sensitive?
both subjects are not present in the manual, so I would say no. (you should probably be able to play paraphonic sequences, possibly comming from different midi-channels. But it is not like each osc has a dedicated midi channel to receive note info)
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasses View Post
both subjects are not present in the manual, so I would say no. (you should probably be able to play paraphonic sequences, possibly comming from different midi-channels. But it is not like each osc has a dedicated midi channel to receive note info)
Okay well i have two monophonic midi channels available to sequence with. How would i best take advantage of the paraphony of this synth with them?
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
There isn't one, and yes.

As people have pointed out - the NYX *may* not be a good first hardware synth for people. There are some idiosyncrasies that can throw people off.

Spend time exploring all the functions. You can't break anything - the worst that happens is you have settings that produce no sound. Check on-line for basic subtractive synthesis principles and combine that with their manual and just have some fun exploring what it can do. Hi

BTW - a lot of people put gear like this on power strips so all the gear can be turned on/off with a single control. It's become a bit more common these days to have gear with no separate power switch.
I would imagine it's not going to harm the NYX if the LED is left on as alot of power strips have LED's in them and they operate fine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search