The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neorev View Post
When I spoke to Perfect Circuit Audio, they said they were having problems with their local distributor who handles Dreadbox and will no longer be ordering in their products. The rep wouldn't go further on what the actual problem was. But I bought a Hades and Erebus from them last fall.
Dammit. They are a short drive from me. Got my Erebus there and intended to get other Dreadbox stuff from them....
Old 15th March 2017
Gear Nut
Square Wave Sound in Salt Lake City is a Dreadbox dealer.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Nut

so does the 'post' slider act like the filter separation control on the Oscar?
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbel View Post
so does the 'post' slider act like the filter separation control on the Oscar?
I believe so, although I won't know for sure until my NYX arrives tomorrow!
Old 16th March 2017
Deleted User
I'll be interested to see what you make of Nyx. It's aptly named with a very dark sound and I can't see it being useful to anyone producing pop. And while the modulation options allow complex driving pulses, the filter can be quite harsh.

I also find the small faders (similar if not identical to those on the Roland Ju-06), hard to adjust accurately, which means sweet spots are much harder to find than on the Erebus. That said, this is a more distinctive synthesiser and patience is rewarded.

Definitely not an analogue for the beginner.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
I'll be interested to see what you make of Nyx. It's aptly named with a very dark sound and I can't see it being useful to anyone producing pop. And while the modulation options allow complex driving pulses, the filter can be quite harsh.
Well, I have mixed feelings after a first play with it. I really like the dark tone of it and the unearthly reverb but the VCA appears to be behaving strangely.

I can't get anything like a natural decay or release from it. A long decay from the modulator results in an extended hold followed by a fairly short decay. Likewise, a long attack results in second of silence before a relatively quick attack and then full amplitude. It's as if the modulator is working over a far wider range than the VCA can handle, with silence or full amplitude at anything other than a small window in the middle. I tried patching modulator 1 and 2 to the VCA and both exhibit the same characteristics.

I can't hear from the demos whether this is normal behaviour. Does your Nyx do this?

As it stands on mine, it's pretty difficult to use the Nyx for any kind of lead sound when the VCA works more like a gate with softened edges.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseball View Post
A long decay from the modulator results in an extended hold followed by a fairly short decay. Likewise, a long attack results in second of silence before a relatively quick attack and then full amplitude.
This behaviour might be observed when the potentiometers are attack/exponential and decay/logarithmic. If this is the case, then you need the opposite, or at least inverse logarithmic.

Perhaps that also explains why lots of users have found the envelopes a tad slow. A log attack is perceived quicker/snappier than an exp attack when times are equal.
Old 17th March 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Does your Nyx do this?
Yeah, it does. The great modulation capabilities have been at the expense of normal envelopes, which will be an unacceptable tradeoff for some people.

I’m in two minds about it. While I've got screaming and sometimes beautiful sounds out of it (plus lots of interesting pulses and textures), that's a very niche market that the MS20 Mini may already have conquered.

These are sounds you can build new tracks around, but they will be hard to drop into existing songs or soundscapes. I suppose I'm saying that anyone expecting the immediacy of Erebus will be disappointed. Nyx will divide people, which makes me curious to get more users' feedback on GS.

There's a distinct lack of Nyx reviews or clips out there.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, it does. The great modulation capabilities have been at the expense of normal envelopes, which will be an unacceptable tradeoff for some people.
Well, that's good to know, I guess. I was perfectly fine with the idea of doing without normal ADSR envelopes but the way the VCA behaves makes it hard to use for anything other than pulsing sequences. Strange that it's only the VCA that behaves that way. The modulators on the filter have exactly the attacks and decays I expected.

A shame it's so weirdly limited. The tone of the Nyx is great but this might be the first synth purchase I send back. :(
Old 18th March 2017
Quote:
Well, that's good to know, I guess. I was perfectly fine with the idea of doing without normal ADSR envelopes but the way the VCA behaves makes it hard to use for anything other than pulsing sequences. Strange that it's only the VCA that behaves that way. The modulators on the filter have exactly the attacks and decays I expected.

A shame it's so weirdly limited. The tone of the Nyx is great but this might be the first synth purchase I send back. :(
Write them an e-mail explaining your concerns.
They are very helpful and its possible to give you a workaround. If they do please share it here.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Nick Batt got a Nyx, already scoring Blade Runner with it, sounds great

Someone else exploring:

Old 19th March 2017
Deleted User
Those two clips capture the sound of the Nyx better than any others I've heard. It does dark foreboding very well. Light not so much.

I admire Dreadbox for making such a distinctive-sounding instrument rather than another all-rounder. That's the only way forward for small manufacturers and as long as you have other synths in your armoury it's very much a positive.
Old 19th March 2017
Quote:
It does dark foreboding very well. Light not so much.
I guess that's why they called it Nyx/Νυξ = Νύχτα = Night
Old 19th March 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmo View Post
I guess that's why they called it Nyx/Νυξ = Νύχτα = Night
Indeed. Seems some people still judge a synth on its ability to do basslines, though. They should try a VCS3.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Nick Batt got a Nyx, already scoring Blade Runner with it, sounds great

Someone else exploring:

It sounds ridiculously good here..
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

I've only had mine for a little bit. A few quick comments.

Notice where the main VCA volume control is on that 8 minute video - around 1 o'clock. The NYX puts out a ridiculously hot level, so you don't need to max that out unless you want to completely overload everything downstream. Mine is sitting around the same position and generating a +4 signal at the mixer.

Same goes for oscillator levels into the filter - a small change in level can make a definite audible difference, so be sure to play around with that.

This machine is probably not something I'd recommend as a first synth or only synth to people. It has a number of quirks and subtleties that will frustrate/bewilder newcomers. For folks that have other gear at their disposal, this can be an amazing addition.

Yes, as others have commented, the envelopes are different and don't lend themselves to traditional ADSR playing styles. However, the more time I spend with the modulators (either as envelopes or LFOs), the more I appreciate the differences they bring to the table.

Again - this is not a Swiss Army knife or 6-in-1 screwdriver. It is a specialized tool that does something different than the average subtractive synth. Yes you can carp about no noise source, no negative modulation, etc, etc but the fact is the core sound is very very good and the filter has a wide range of usable possibilities.

Edit - FWIW, Nick is apparently mainly auditioning the reverb, based on the panel settings. That takes out much of the filter and VCA/Modulators out of the picture. In my mind, this synth could have started as an amazing filter design that they then decided to put some other synth components around.

Last edited by oldgearguy; 19th March 2017 at 06:40 PM..
Old 22nd March 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
FWIW, Nick is apparently mainly auditioning the reverb, based on the panel settings. That takes out much of the filter and VCA/Modulators out of the picture. In my mind, this synth could have started as an amazing filter design that they then decided to put some other synth components around.
Maybe the Crazy reverb with its infinite sustain is partly to compensate for the drawbacks of the modulator EG approach. As you say, as long as Nyx is not the only synth in the village it's an interesting design.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe the Crazy reverb with its infinite sustain is partly to compensate for the drawbacks of the modulator EG approach. As you say, as long as Nyx is not the only synth in the village it's an interesting design.
Returned mine in the end, which is something I never do. I actually liked the modulator EG approach but the way the VCA responded to it was too weird and unusable for me.

Bought a Splash Mk iii for the crazy reverb instead. Sounds just a great with my other, more conventional, synths.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

I caught Sonic State live today as Nick was doing his pre-show preamble and he hooked the Nyx up. Huge, huge bass. Instant Bladerunner leads. Massive presence and a warm tone were immediately apparent. Phew I want one. :D Hoping for a Sonic State review soon...
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Are there any U.S. dealers that currently have this in stock? I def want to grab one.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Are there any U.S. dealers that currently have this in stock? I def want to grab one.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I got mine shipped here to LA from synthesizer.gr.
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Nut
Square Wave, that I linked above, doesn't have them yet but they are on the way. There is a Erebus and a Hades in the shop.
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear

Do you have to open up the box to adjust which midi channels are received? What's the default midi setting - omni? Channel 1?
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Do you have to open up the box to adjust which midi channels are received? What's the default midi setting - omni? Channel 1?
Yes, 4 screws on the bottom. Default is omni. While you are in there, decide if you want unison or bitimbral and flip that switch.
Old 26th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Yes, 4 screws on the bottom. Default is omni. While you are in there, decide if you want unison or bitimbral and flip that switch.
Thx for the info/tip.
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Head

I have just bought this synth and the audio is just coming out the left channel. Does anybody know the reason for this?
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Head

I am just testing the synth out on my headphones and sound is just coming out of the left speaker.
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHorizon View Post
I have just bought this synth and the audio is just coming out the left channel. Does anybody know the reason for this?
its a mono out. so no stereo
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Head

Right ok. How about the, "In" jack on the NYX? Is that mono too? I have tried my headphones on both the IN and OUT and they are both coming out of the left speaker. Is there a way of making it a stereo signal?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search