The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th February 2017
  #151
Gear Maniac
 

Found this vid of it self generating...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQWR_HwDYu6/

All of the recent vids have made me super excited.
Old 11th February 2017
  #152
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zet View Post


here is a small demo using modulator 1 as an envelope
Ugh, ya killing me over here! I was part of the 2nd preorder and dying to get my hands on mine. Thanks for the audio!

Anyone from the US that was a part of the first preorder on synthesizer.gr on here? Curious, how long did it take to arrive once they notified you that your Nyx had shipped?
Old 11th February 2017
  #153
Deleted User
Guest
Don't know about the States, but mine took a week to get from Greece to Britain. Went Athens - Italy - Germany - UK by UPS, IIRC.
Old 11th February 2017
  #154
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Don't know about the States, but mine took a week to get from Greece to Britain. Went Athens - Italy - Germany - UK by UPS, IIRC.
Cheers! I imagine two weeks then to get to New York. Impatiently awaiting my shipping notification. :P
Old 14th February 2017
  #155
Gear Addict
 

So I'm checking the manual to understand its vca modulator.
The configuration is either Attack - Release or Attack - Decay.
What I'm wondering is, is it really that limited functionality wise as opposed to a regular adsr envelope, as found on most synths?

And how does it do unison when there's only 2 vco's inside the synth?
Old 14th February 2017
  #156
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
No threat to the Erebus, though. The Nyx is a wonderful, but very different instrument. Less mainstream appeal I think, but I'll be able to build whole tracks around this. It has a 1980s Shreikback kind of sound that I love.
I love the look of it next to your A-01.

The sound of the Nyx reminds me of the Analogue Solutions Leipzig-S.
Old 14th February 2017
  #157
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by neorev View Post
F'n sold.

Old 14th February 2017
  #158
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
So I'm checking the manual to understand its vca modulator.
The configuration is either Attack - Release or Attack - Decay.
What I'm wondering is, is it really that limited functionality wise as opposed to a regular adsr envelope, as found on most synths?

And how does it do unison when there's only 2 vco's inside the synth?
Yes, that's how the modulator works. You either get an envelope with full sustain and adjustable release time or one with no sustain but adjustable decay time. It's a limitation for sure, but limitations seem to be Dreadbox' thing.

Also it does unison by playing the same note with the two VCOs, as opposed to two different notes
Old 14th February 2017
  #159
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
limitations seem to be Dreadbox' thing.
More like Dreadbox does things differently. For example, how many other synths feature VCOs with separate glide controls? Once you've used that feature you wonder why no-one else is doing it.

In any case, judging instruments by their spec sheets is misleading as I found out. They don't tell you that Dreadbox synths sound better than any of their rivals.
Old 14th February 2017
  #160
Has anyone checked out the external input?... does the external signal go through the filter as well as the reverb, or is reverb only?
Old 14th February 2017
  #161
Gear Maniac
 
4zet's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
Has anyone checked out the external input?... does the external signal go through the filter as well as the reverb, or is reverb only?
i haven't tried it but based on the schematics it's reverb only. i'll try it once i have the time but i guess it's like they stated in the manual.
Old 14th February 2017
  #162
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
More like Dreadbox does things differently. For example, how many other synths feature VCOs with separate glide controls? Once you've used that feature you wonder why no-one else is doing it.

In any case, judging instruments by their spec sheets is misleading as I found out. They don't tell you that Dreadbox synths sound better than any of their rivals.
You're right, and I didn't mean what I said negatively. It's just that if you want a bread-and-butter synth that can do any sound you want then you should probably look elsewhere.
Old 14th February 2017
  #163
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
if you want a bread-and-butter synth that can do any sound you want then you should probably look elsewhere.
Erebus can be your only monosynth, though I concede it would be a left-field choice. For most users a Bass Station 2 is a much safer bet, which is not a criticism of the Novation, which I occasionally think about buying.

Nyx is something else altogether. It's capable of shimmering textures of great beauty, things that I'd only heard from pre-1980 semi-modulars before. I'm kind of interested to see that no one on Youtube (so far) is using it that way!
Old 15th February 2017
  #164
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Erebus can be your only monosynth, though I concede it would be a left-field choice. For most users a Bass Station 2 is a much safer bet, which is not a criticism of the Novation, which I occasionally think about buying.

Nyx is something else altogether. It's capable of shimmering textures of great beauty, things that I'd only heard from pre-1980 semi-modulars before. I'm kind of interested to see that no one on Youtube (so far) is using it that way!
I'd like to know what the Erebus can do, what the Nyx is not capable off.
Looking at the patch points, there's a vco2 output, and vco1/2 inputs.
Seems like it can do fm sounds then, which to me is a big plus.

Last edited by Djones; 15th February 2017 at 03:54 AM..
Old 15th February 2017
  #165
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
Yes, that's how the modulator works. You either get an envelope with full sustain and adjustable release time or one with no sustain but adjustable decay time. It's a limitation for sure, but limitations seem to be Dreadbox' thing.

Also it does unison by playing the same note with the two VCOs, as opposed to two different notes
What if I run the Nyx thru my Slim Phatty, I guess I can then use the full adsr of the Moog instead of that 'limited' modulator to shape the sound with, am I correct?
Old 16th February 2017
  #166
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
What if I run the Nyx thru my Slim Phatty, I guess I can then use the full adsr of the Moog instead of that 'limited' modulator to shape the sound with, am I correct?
Sure, you can do that.
Old 16th February 2017
  #167
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
What if I run the Nyx thru my Slim Phatty, I guess I can then use the full adsr of the Moog instead of that 'limited' modulator to shape the sound with, am I correct?
Personally, I think the modulator system seems very well thought through.

Of course, the modulators on itself seem pretty limited, but when you take the routing options and patchbay into account, you can accomplish quite a bit. You want an ADSR for the VCA? Set the VCA modulator as an AD-env (hold off); set modulator 2 as AR (hold on); connect modulator 2 to VCA via patchbay (which has a depth control for M2).

(this is in theory, I haven't tried NYX yet)
Edit note: I can't find in the manual if using the patch points disconnects the internal routing, or adds to it. If it disconnects, the above example won't work... (in the erebus, using VCA input disconnects the VCA-env, in the Nyx manual, it is not mentioned).
Old 16th February 2017
  #168
Gear Addict
 
analogsynth's Avatar
Yes, I really like the Dreadbox Modulators as opposed to traditional ADSRs and LFOs, so many synths have those standard modulation sources and it gets a bit boring.

Also, by simplifying the operation of the Modulators with only Rise/Fall parameters it makes the synth a more immediate creative tool when playing and writing, and by simplifying the design we also get MORE modulation sources, having 4 on such a small desktop synth is quite extraordinary.

We should all be thankful to Dreadbox for innovating in the world of analog synths, not a lot of companies are doing that, most are just copying, cloning and re-issuing old analog synth designs. Although I like those too and I have a lot of vintage analog synths, the clear attraction of the Nyx for me is it's fat sound combined with the unusual signal routing possibilities available right there on the front panel. Normally you'd need two synths and play them in parallel to achieve the same results.
Old 16th February 2017
  #169
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
I'd like to know what the Erebus can do, what the Nyx is not capable off.
Looking at the patch points, there's a vco2 output, and vco1/2 inputs.
Seems like it can do fm sounds then, which to me is a big plus.
Yup - tried that and also using a 0-Coast.

Sounded awesome too!
Old 16th February 2017
  #170
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsynth View Post
Yes, I really like the Dreadbox Modulators as opposed to traditional ADSRs and LFOs, so many synths have those standard modulation sources and it gets a bit boring.

Also, by simplifying the operation of the Modulators with only Rise/Fall parameters it makes the synth a more immediate creative tool when playing and writing, and by simplifying the design we also get MORE modulation sources, having 4 on such a small desktop synth is quite extraordinary.

We should all be thankful to Dreadbox for innovating in the world of analog synths, not a lot of companies are doing that, most are just copying, cloning and re-issuing old analog synth designs. Although I like those too and I have a lot of vintage analog synths, the clear attraction of the Nyx for me is it's fat sound combined with the unusual signal routing possibilities available right there on the front panel. Normally you'd need two synths and play them in parallel to achieve the same results.
Right now I'm much preferring those sliders to an ADSR, sometimes simplicity is the way.

And yeah - hats off to Yannis & Co. for actually innovating - too much music tech is going over old ground. Music can't move forward unless the technology does.

I'm loving the NYX, especially when adding in further modulation from external devices.
Old 18th February 2017
  #171
Gear Nut
 

I'm not sure which of the Dreadbox topics to post this to, but perhaps this is the best fit...

I've been looking at both the Erebus and the Nyx a lot lately and I find them both very interesting. I know they have been getting a lot of praise for being somewhat different. I like that. However I still haven't quite been able to anser the question: If you get the Nyx is there a reason to get the Erebus too? (I know this was kinda asked a bit above, but as it was not answered I'd like to repeat it.)

Then another thing occured to me: Does anyone have experience with how both of these compare to their modular units? Both sound wise as well as in terms of features/usability? I haven't dared to foray into modular territory so far, but those modules look like they would provide a lot of interesting twists. I know that getting all the modules named after greek letters would cost at least twice as much as the Nyx and the Erebus combined, but perhaps in the long run it would be preferrable? Anybody with thought on that please?
Old 20th February 2017
  #172
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasses View Post
You want an ADSR for the VCA? Set the VCA modulator as an AD-env (hold off); set modulator 2 as AR (hold on); connect modulator 2 to VCA via patchbay (which has a depth control for M2).
.
Yeah I was hoping something like this would be possible
Old 24th February 2017
  #173
Deleted User
Guest


Easily the best Nyx demo so far, though to me it seems a waste to use this thing for bass. He doesn't even touch the patch matrix, which is when things get really interesting for me, but nonetheless this is a good taster. Kicks off about three minutes in.
Old 27th February 2017
  #174
Gear Maniac
 

Spoke with synthesizer.gr and it seems there was a slight delay with Dreadbox, but the 2nd preorders should ship out by this Friday, March 3rd.
Old 1st March 2017
  #175
Gear Maniac
 

Just got a message from synthesizer.gr, my NYX shipped out today! I was part of the second preorder.
So if there's any other second preorderers on here like myself, yours should be shipping out soon.

According to another e-mail, they said half of the preorders have shipped out while the rest will be ready to ship out by March 10th. They did apologize for the delay and offered the chance for folks to want to cancel their order, but honestly I was expecting a much worse delay than just a week or two. So that's a plus!

I've been keeping in touch with them thru their Facebook page. They're very approachable, friendly, and quick to respond, which is nice. Gotta say one of the most personal and upfront customer assistance I've gotten from a company. Always there to answer questions and keep you updated. For instance, I got a message directly from them thru Facebook that my Nyx shipped out a while before the e-mail went out. So it shows how they remembered me and my preorder and quickly sent me a personal message to keep me updated. Good guys! Can't wait for my synth!
Old 11th March 2017
  #176
Deleted User
Guest
Having long-blamed the DX-7 for the analogue extinction event I'm amused to find I'm getting a lot of FM-like sounds out of the Nyx. The zombies got me in the end...
Old 12th March 2017
  #177
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
NYX and Erebus both very nice sounding synths..
Old 12th March 2017
  #178
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I noticed perfect circuit don't sell any Dreadbox gear any more after stocking their whole range quite recently, anyone know the reason for this..? Is the best place to source these units direct at the Dreadbox on line store or..?
Old 14th March 2017
  #179
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I noticed perfect circuit don't sell any Dreadbox gear any more after stocking their whole range quite recently, anyone know the reason for this..? Is the best place to source these units direct at the Dreadbox on line store or..?
I think they only sell their modular gear on their own site. Other than that Thomann carries them if ordering from Europe is feasible.

The Dreadbox site has Deluxe Guitars listed as a retailer for Australia. No idea how the prices are and they don't seem to have the Nyx listed.
Old 15th March 2017
  #180
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I noticed perfect circuit don't sell any Dreadbox gear any more after stocking their whole range quite recently, anyone know the reason for this..? Is the best place to source these units direct at the Dreadbox on line store or..?
When I spoke to Perfect Circuit Audio, they said they were having problems with their local distributor who handles Dreadbox and will no longer be ordering in their products. The rep wouldn't go further on what the actual problem was. But I bought a Hades and Erebus from them last fall.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump