The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

ah interesting, so it's a different kind of resonance being "pre-fed."
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
It adds character according to the designer. See about four and a half minutes in:

'People complain, but I like it."
Cool

As he says it's a pre-fed resonance, which is not the same as when you turn the resonance knob up. It's the Dreadbox sound and it rocks, very fat and satisfying to play with. Not many analog synth manufacturers can say they have their own sound, everyone just copying Moog, Oberheim, Roland and Korg.

Dreadbox is a breath of fresh air and it's obvious from the interview that Yannis is an artist/musician first and marketing hype guy last, his synth designs are very musical and unique, unlike all the regurgitated products of yesteryear, albeit good, but not unique nor original.

Love my Erebus, can't wait to get my Nyx, I'm on the 2nd batch waiting list from synthesizer.gr
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
I don't see how I made you think that. The Erebus in paraphonic mode with independent glide on each oscillator and synchronised delay is unmistakable and a genuinely beautiful instrument. However, it's not a 'do-it-all' mono.If it can't make the particular sound you want then don't buy it.

Not sure if you're suggesting all subtractive synthesisers should behave in the same way, but if it's clean sub-bass you're after then the Minibrute would be a better bet. It has a very usable sine wave.

i mentioned none of these things. i talk exclusively about the ever present resonance issue on Nyx, and how i disagree with you that having no choice in turning resonance on and off can ever be called a "feature".

and even if designer says this and that, is irrelevant to a musician using this to create a piece of music - the synth sounds the way it does. and some will like it, find it inspiring, some won't. fwiw i first found it very interesting and intrigued by unorthodox design, still am in a way, but after a while this resonance started to irritate me. ces't la vie. so altough i almost jumped on that first GR preorder, i just realized i'm not to get it.

if you do like it, that's good for you. enjoy.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just ploughing through the manual. You need to open up the box and flick a dipswitch to put Nyx into unison mode.
They already mentioned this in one of the videos, so it doesn't come as a shock to me.
I've just been through the manual myself, the VCO-VCF routing system was very intriguing to me, and some of the combinations did not make sense at first glance. The manual is very clear and simple, explains it brief but good. It also seems that VCO2 can be used as a modulation source via the patchbay, which is very good news to me!

One letdown: with all the routing flexibility, I find it a strange omission that there is no configuration to use highpass and lowpass filter in series (only high-high or low-low in series, high-low only available with parallel routing). It would have been nice to use the filters as bandpass as well...
Still, I think it is a very attractive synth because of its uncommon features.
Old 3rd February 2017
Deleted User
My Nyx is arriving today according to the tracking info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasses View Post
They already mentioned this in one of the videos, so it doesn't come as a shock to me.
Has there been more than one?

I took it for granted that switching between paraphony and unison would be a front panel switch as on the Erebus. Wrong.
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
I took it for granted that switching between paraphony and unison would be a front panel switch as on the Erebus. Wrong.
What switch on the front panel did you think it was?!
Old 3rd February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
What switch on the front panel did you think it was?!
The one that wasn't there.

I thought the Nyx and Erebus were more closely related than they are. That the substantial changes were the use of sliders, substitution of reverb for echo and the addition of a second filter. Didn't noice that the unison/II toggle was one of the casualties of fitting the extras in the same real estate.
Old 3rd February 2017
Deleted User
The filters and LFOs in this thing are amazing - it really sings for its supper. Which is just as well as it hasn't got off my kitchen table since it arrived.

No threat to the Erebus, though. The Nyx is a wonderful, but very different instrument. Less mainstream appeal I think, but I'll be able to build whole tracks around this. It has a 1980s Shreikback kind of sound that I love.
Attached Thumbnails
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!!-nyx_nixed.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The filters and LFOs in this thing are amazing - it really sings for its supper. Which is just as well as it hasn't got off my kitchen table since it arrived.

No threat to the Erebus, though. The Nyx is a wonderful, but very different instrument. Less mainstream appeal I think, but I'll be able to build whole tracks around this. It has a 1980s Shreikback kind of sound that I love.
I'd like to hear more of this synth nudge nudge , I think it's their best model
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

How are the envelopes? Can they do nice and snappy bass lines?
Old 3rd February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud drift View Post
How are the envelopes? Can they do nice and snappy bass lines?
Not suitable for snappy bass lines, though good for drones. Best for evolving sounds, I'd say.

It's definitely not an all-rounder Bass Station-kind of synth and won't have the crossover appeal of Erebus. It's much more of a niche product and I'll be interested to see how well it sells.

None of that's intended as a criticism - I have other synths for basic stuff. I'm really enjoying what Nyx can do.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Not suitable for snappy bass lines, though good for drones. Best for evolving sounds, I'd say.

It's definitely not an all-rounder Bass Station-kind of synth and won't have the crossover appeal of Erebus. It's much more of a niche product and I'll be interested to see how well it sells.

None of that's intended as a criticism - I have other synths for basic stuff. I'm really enjoying what Nyx can do.
Thanks, yeah I'm still considering something from Dreadbox eventually. Just finding out where the strengths are and how they'd fit into my (minimal) set up. Nyx won't cover basic mono synth stuff but has other ground to cover so this paired with another semi modular would definitely be intriguing. The reason why the Nyx is so interesting to me is the two variable filters.

Are you able to get bandpass and / or notch settings with the filters?
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Evolving is something I enjoy with polyphony. Drones are not my thing. So maybe it's not for me in the end but I'll still wait for some decent demos to appear...

Interesting that you say that is a very different synth from the Erebus when on paper it seems like just an updated version of it.
Old 3rd February 2017
Old 4th February 2017
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Maniac

The Nyx and Erebus in action...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmKiA37Xbhs
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Maniac

the envelopes can be really snappy, especially the modulator 2. this one is much more versatile than the erebus. even without the reverb it's worth whatever money they ask for it.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

So one user says it's snappy and another says it's not...

Anyone with a NYX cares to record a simple arpeggiated or sequenced line and play a bit with the filters for us poor guys who don't own one? (without the reverb please)
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Nut

or just record anything? Any kind of nyx demos would be appreciated!
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Guru

those Instagram demos are just awful, why do people insist on recording demos on their stupid phones and layering everything in harsh acid resonance and annoying beats..
Old 10th February 2017
Here for the gear

Got one of these this morning, sounds utterly lovely - reminds a bit of ARP stuff.
Old 10th February 2017
Here for the gear

Oh and seems pretty snappy to be me but i don't profess to be an expert!
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

So the NYX might be snappy and more versatile than the Erebus or not snappy and less versatile than the Erebus. The plot thickens...
Old 10th February 2017
Old 10th February 2017
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Maniac

here is a small demo using modulator 1 as an envelope
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zet View Post

thank you. Finally a good demo of the sound of this thing. And I'm not disappointed.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sounds snappier than th Erebus to me.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Nut

Gas rising...
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks a lot!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search