The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Maniac

According to the guys over at Dreadbox, they're gonna try their best to get the Synthesizer.gr preorders done earlier than the end of February. They'd like to get them done by the first week of February, but obviously they can't promise anything. Either way, it will be well worth the wait.

I absolutely love my Erebus and Hades. Sold my MS-20 Mini to help cover the cost of the Nyx. That's how much I love my Dreadbox synths.
Old 31st December 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by neorev View Post
According to the guys over at Dreadbox, they're gonna try their best to get the Synthesizer.gr preorders done earlier than the end of February. They'd like to get them done by the first week of February, but obviously they can't promise anything. Either way, it will be well worth the wait.

I absolutely love my Erebus and Hades. Sold my MS-20 Mini to help cover the cost of the Nyx. That's how much I love my Dreadbox synths.
I would love to get an MS20 if only korg made one with moog-standard CV connections. that would be baller.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetta View Post
I would love to get an MS20 if only korg made one with moog-standard CV connections. that would be baller.
Moog standard? If you mean V/Octave, there is the MS-20M that supports this.
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Nut

I'm in the same boat as Pete. Really wanted the Murmux V2 but took too much time pulling the trigger. Preordered the NYX which will be my first Dreadbox synth and look forward to the eccentric little guy.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear
Quick question for Hades and Erebus owners. I'm looking at one of these as dedicated bass synth. I know Hades is advertised as just that but maybe the Erebus can hold its own in that regard. Owners wanna chime in
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

I hath joined the cult of Dreadbox now after ordering a Nyx. I noticed too that their 13% off deal has been removed. There were only 7 left when I ordered, so we must've been the last few lucky ones.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear
I'd love to get hold of a nyx...but going to hold off and see what the Abyss will have to offer.
Old 1st January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Quick question for Hades and Erebus owners. I'm looking at one of these as dedicated bass synth. I know Hades is advertised as just that but maybe the Erebus can hold its own in that regard. Owners wanna chime in
The Erebus is a great all-around synth. Listen to the demos on YT/SC and see what you think. It depends on the type of sound you want.

Erebus, including a bass demo
https://soundcloud.com/dreadbox/sets...log-paraphonic

Hades
https://soundcloud.com/dreadbox/sets...er-audio-clips

Pete
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

Does anyone know what curve do the modulators have? I've asked Dreadbox, but received no answer.
When used as an envelope, it would be nice to be logarithmic, but that wouldn't work in LFO mode as you won't be able to get a nice triangle waveform.
I'm very eager to get info on this as this really is potentially my next buy.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Nut

Is there any way to midi sync the modulators?
Old 19th January 2017
Deleted User
Supposed to ship in two weeks, but not seen a manual yet.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

Old 19th January 2017
Deleted User
Well, that's more promising than the previous demo on YouTube. Looking forward to pairing Nyx with my Erebus.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Well, that's more promising than the previous demo on YouTube. Looking forward to pairing Nyx with my Erebus.
Would have been nice to hear more than a repetitive fart noise....

Holding out for better demos. My Erebus needs a buddy.
Old 22nd January 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Would have been nice to hear more than a repetitive fart noise....

Holding out for better demos. My Erebus needs a buddy.
Yes, unfortunate that Nyx seems to have been almost completely overshadowed at NAAM by Abyss as I'd like to hear more and see an online manual. (I've got a Nyx arriving in a week or so, which is a bit of an act of faith given I liked the Soundcloud track, but hated the youtube demo.)
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, unfortunate that Nyx seems to have been almost completely overshadowed at NAAM by Abyss as I'd like to hear more and see an online manual. (I've got a Nyx arriving in a week or so, which is a bit of an act of faith given I liked the Soundcloud track, but hated the youtube demo.)
Indeed. I expected Sonicstate will cover Nyx, but unfortunately they didn't. I have questions regarding its modulators, but haven't received any info from Dreadbox, yet.
There is still no specs nor manual available on their site.
And they really need to get someone to make good demos for it as the two existing ones suck. The soundcloud demo is more like a demonstration of the reverb than the synth.

I hope to hear more Nyx soon as I'm very, very curious about it.
Old 24th January 2017
Deleted User
Some updates to Dreadbox website at last. They've moved Murmux v2 to the Discontinued section. Maybe a Nyx manual in 2018?
Old 24th January 2017
Quote:
Maybe a Nyx manual in 2018?

just be patient, takes a long time to write a manual (and it's boring as hell to do!)... they're a small outfit, i'd rather they made the pre-orders than mess around writing a manual, the synth will be here soon anyway so you won't even need a manual, play around with it for a few minutes and work it out, it's not that complex a synth...
Old 24th January 2017
Deleted User
I like a bit of foreplay.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like a bit of foreplay.
I'd add to this comment but this would descend quickly into the gutter.

OT, I finally took the time to give the Hades a good listen and I do like what I hear there. I'm really looking forward to your opinion on Nyx. I'd love to know how well it will play with Erebus and Hades. If it proves to be a great trifecta I'd build a stack of all three ala Mother 32 style and create some true analog magic.
Old 25th January 2017
Deleted User
Haven't got a Hades because I'm tired of one-oscillator synths, but have got a Reon on the way. An Erebus, Nyx and Driftbox R_Limited should be good, though I half-think I'm daft for buying the last two without having even tried them.
Old 28th January 2017
Deleted User
Synthesizer.gr has received its allocation of Nyx. First pre-order batch ships next week.
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Maniac

Manual is available on their website now!
Old 1st February 2017
Deleted User
Just ploughing through the manual. You need to open up the box and flick a dipswitch to put Nyx into unison mode.

Like the idea of polychaining a Nyx and Erebus, though.
Old 2nd February 2017
hmm, like someone noticed before, it seems obvious from this last demo that filter is calibrated ito always have some resonance. he moves the resonance slider down to zero, and yet there is still resonance in the sequence. meaning that nice warm round zero resonance sound is not possible.

is this similar behaviour on Erebus? i played one for a while in the store, but didn't pay attention to this peticular detail.
Old 2nd February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
is this similar behaviour on Erebus?
Yep, it's a design feature. Dreadbox makes very idiosyncratic synths, but who wants bland?
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
Yep, it's a design feature. Dreadbox makes very idiosyncratic synths, but who wants bland?
yeah well, that's like saying a car that can only turn left has a feature that makes it less bland than other cars that can turn left and right.

i like dreadbox core synth sound, a breath of fresh air in the sea of lifeless or harsh sounding currently made monos. but if true, think this peticular issue is an unnecessary limitation to the sonic palette. you simply don't want resonance on all the time.

other monos in the past had 2.pole OTA svf as well. its not an earth shakingly new design, but they had capability to do both: extreme and zero resonance. and everything in btwn.
Old 3rd February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
yeah well, that's like saying a car that can only turn left has a feature that makes it less bland than other cars that can turn left and right.
I don't see how I made you think that. The Erebus in paraphonic mode with independent glide on each oscillator and synchronised delay is unmistakable and a genuinely beautiful instrument. However, it's not a 'do-it-all' mono.If it can't make the particular sound you want then don't buy it.

Not sure if you're suggesting all subtractive synthesisers should behave in the same way, but if it's clean sub-bass you're after then the Minibrute would be a better bet. It has a very usable sine wave.
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

hmm... that's an odd limitation, not sure what always being forced to have resonance adds exactly?
Old 3rd February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud drift View Post
hmm... that's an odd limitation, not sure what always being forced to have resonance adds exactly?
It adds character according to the designer. See about four and a half minutes in:

'People complain, but I like it."
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search