The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th December 2016
Ouch! I just ordered an Erebus last night. Might need this soon as well. I think they would go together well.
Old 18th December 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredlost View Post
Ouch! I just ordered an Erebus last night.
You won't regret it. The Erebus is a great instrument.
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Nut

This looks interesting! I loved the sound and interface of the Erebus but hated the noisy VCA, I ended up selling it for that reason. If they solved that problem the Nyx will be in my future for sure.
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Head

Looks very interesting! Look forward to seeing a proper demo of this synth
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
If you're referring to the Erebus, to which Nyx is clearly related, a fifth has always been possible. I think it was Nick Batt who suggested it wasn't, but he's mistaken.
It was possible, but only by tuning one oscillator down and the other up, thus losing correct pitch per note.

On the Erebus that was somewhat remedied buy playing the desired notes paraphonically, but then you lose certain glide nuances.
Old 19th December 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
It was possible, but only by tuning one oscillator down and the other up, thus losing correct pitch per note.
That's right. John from Dreadbox suggested a more drastic solution to someone over at Muffs:

Quote:
If you open Erebus and remove the main PCB you will be able to see the trace of DETUNE knob pin3 leading to a resistor. The resistor though is on the other side, but if you solder on parallel something like 220k you should be able to do get an octave or even more. Originally the resistor there is a 470K leading to +12v supply and the knob is a 100k, making an attenuation with the other end at ground.
The result has been posted on YouTube:

Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
That's right. John from Dreadbox suggested a more drastic solution to someone over at Muffs:

The result has been posted on YouTube:

Nice mod. I can't help wondering though: why on earth didn't they make it themselves? It is such a fundamental thing to play in fifths on a mono synthesizer. Not everyone is comfortable with a soldering iron.

Also: the noisy VCF/VCA. Some people reported that Erebus was borderline unusable because of this and had to let it go. Not so good, I wonder if it is fixed.

It would also help to learn a few more things on the envelopes. I think they are a bit slow on the Erebus.
Old 19th December 2016
That's not a bad sound at all...

I like what it does from 2/3 into the soundcloud demo, it's like staring into this wormhole space between the speakers.

The reverb sounds spring like, though I suspect there is no actual poing springs in there.
Someone should kick that box in a video just to make shure
Old 19th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
Also: the noisy VCF/VCA. Some people reported that Erebus was borderline unusable because of this and had to let it go. Not so good, I wonder if it is fixed.

It would also help to learn a few more things on the envelopes. I think they are a bit slow on the Erebus.
can't claim i tried every released Erebus, but the one i did try didn't have a noisy vcf/vca, at least not that i would call unusuable but within margins of all analog circuits i have. something that you won't hear within musical context. however the main VCA pot was ocassionally noisy crackly when turned. but once you set it it was okay.

envelopes appear to be linear.. it wasn't capable of clear snappy decay, or should i say twanng, like you can get on minimoog or sh101 or pro one. and release was always abrupt due to its linearity. impossible to set it to dissapear to fine "nothingness" like you can with classic expo release.

both issues i also noticed with Hades, which was right next to it. this were brand new units in display in justmusic.de store in Berlin. i played on big AKG headphones.

hence my question about Nyx envs. i am toying with the idea of preordering it from that Greek dealer. but only if they moved to expo envelopes. and fixed the vca pot. for all i know, the latter may have been just those units maybe not a universal problem. i can't say since i haven't played other specimen of erebus and hades.

cheers
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
can't claim i tried every released Erebus, but the one i did try didn't have a noisy vcf/vca, at least not that i would call unusuable but within margins of all analog circuits i have. something that you won't hear within musical context. however the main VCA pot was ocassionally noisy crackly when turned. but once you set it it was okay.

envelopes appear to be linear.. it wasn't capable of clear snappy decay, or should i say twanng, like you can get on minimoog or sh101 or pro one. and release was always abrupt due to its linearity. impossible to set it to dissapear to fine "nothingness" like you can with classic expo release.

both issues i also noticed with Hades, which was right next to it. this were brand new units in display in justmusic.de store in Berlin. i played on big AKG headphones.

hence my question about Nyx envs. i am toying with the idea of preordering it from that Greek dealer. but only if they moved to expo envelopes. and fixed the vca pot. for all i know, the latter may have been just those units maybe not a universal problem. i can't say since i haven't played other specimen of erebus and hades.

cheers
A ha, that was nice info. Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I am also very tempted but I must hear some more sounds and be sure that those problems are fixed with the NYX. On the other hand I suppose I could just wait a few months and just play the synth on my next trip to Athens...
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Guru

Erebus sounds really nice here..it's a simple synth that does the simple stuff really nicely with it's own unique tone that is very vintage like..
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Maniac

I own the Hades and Erebus and have no issues with noisy VCA or VCF. I actually put my Korg MS-20 Mini up for sale because I want the Nyx to go with my Hades and Erebus. That's how much I love Dreadbox.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

Erebus sounds really nice here..it's a simple synth that does the simple stuff really nicely with it's own unique tone that is very vintage like..
I love this demo. Really simple, but so warm.

I need to switch the modular back on, as I've barely used my Atlantis recently.
Old 20th December 2016
Deleted User
This is in danger of turning into the Erebus thread (although a certain amount of overlap is inevitable), which is here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ghlight=erebus

There's discussion there on issues such as the Erebus' ability to tune to a fifth.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

If those schematics on the video are true, I think the envelopes are exponential!
Old 22nd December 2016
Deleted User
Well, this is awkward. I like Dreadbox, but the quality of the Nyx youtube clip is not acceptable. Can anyone understand the voiceover? It really needs to be done again.
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Nut

It's understandable to me. I like the look of the nyx, but why do they always have a bit of resonance present in the filter?
Old 22nd December 2016
Yes i can understand the voiceover no problem, NYX sounds great.
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbel View Post
It's understandable to me. I like the look of the nyx, but why do they always have a bit of resonance present in the filter?
Maybe has something to do with their pre-fed filter topology? I would also like to hear some sounds without resonance.

Yeah, I guess that's English with Greek accent combined with a bit too low mixing. As a Greek though it was easy for me to understand everything!
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Head

Is filter always resonant like in Erebus? If not, is a diy mod possible to change that?

This aside, it looks like a well thought out synth! The option to use modulators like envelopes or LFOs is awesome. The visual feedback of the mod rate by LEDs in sliders is also great. I do miss the possibility to patch one modulator into another, but we can't have everything, right?

How tight is the tuning across the keyboard? The 20 cents difference in three octaves on my Minibrute is sometimes driving me crazy.
Tight pitch is a must! I had and sold two VCO analogs that just didn't track well and had individual notes out of tune quite a bit.
Old 28th December 2016
Deleted User
The mid-Jan first batch from Synthesiser GR is sold out. There'll be a second batch available at the end of Feb.

Currently showing 82 Nyx sold on preorder. At €555, that's a lot of advance sales for a small company.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Maniac

The demo video excited me!

Just ordered from the 2nd preorder batch due at the end of February. I wanted to get in at this awesome price. Can't wait! This will sit nicely next to my Hades and Erebus. The wait is gonna kill me.

I imagine Dreadbox has the first preorder batch pretty much ready to go since mid January seems like the estimated ship date. They'll use this next 1-2 months to build the next batch. I think the first preorder was like 60, the 2nd is 30.
Old 30th December 2016
Just ordered one from Synthesizers.gr. Including shipping to the US, it was only a hair over $500 due to the favorable exchange rate. Much better than it was 8 years back or so.

I love the Erebus. The Hades is decent for an inexpensive synth, but is no Erebus. The Nyx looks very promising.

What I really want is a Murmux v2, but I think I'd have to murder someone to get one. Tempting

Pete
Old 30th December 2016
Deleted User
You got in just in time, Pete. Synthesizer.gr is now sold out.

Edit: seems they found more units. ;-)
Old 30th December 2016
If Dreadbox made a full monosynth with keyboard, based on Erebus and/or Murmux v2, with more knobs, I suspect it would sell like mad.

They just have a great sound and huge personality for a tiny box.

Pete
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
If Dreadbox made a full monosynth with keyboard, based on Erebus and/or Murmux v2, with more knobs, I suspect it would sell like mad.

They just have a great sound and huge personality for a tiny box.

Pete
or even better, a 4 voice polysynth.
Old 31st December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
or even better, a 4 voice polysynth.
No idea how it would sound as a poly. Not all monos are good that way.

Anyone here have a fleet of Erebus modules? :D

Pete
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

Pete
I saw a video the other day where somebody had paired an Erebus and Hades together as a 3 voice.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:

Pete
it will sound like this
https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4vqqxBlat/
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search