The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
what a glorious magnificent sweet tone

but these Dreadbox guys drive me lil crazy - they always make an absolutely wonderful sounding synth, but manage to cripple them by lack of some fundamental synthesis controls. similar to inclusion of delay on Erebus, adding fancy extras like this digi reverb may seem nice, but it comes at an expense of other things, since they insist of such small form factor.

while reverb certainly sounds magnificent and very interesting, given the choice i would have preferred more classic synth elements like normal ADSRs, pw/pwm for both oscillators, more waveforms, controls for each of the two SVFs , interval btwn osc etc. i can always add reverb later. either that, or simply make a little bigger synth. think there is a huge gap in their range; btwn these small boxes and murmux v2, which is otoh everything but the kitchen sink. a lot a room in btwn for a well balanced product.

the duo-paraphonic thing: i just hope there is a way to turn this off, otherwise it can create problems when you want to play your regular mono/legato, like it does on Arp Odyssey.

all in all, after playing erebus and hades, omicron, lamda and their euro range, and now reading about nyx - they sure became my favorite company on face of earth as far as understanding vintage organic analog tone. but some of their design, feature and routing decisions are strange and frustrating.

now i am in dillema, should i order this. or save my pennies for that Abyss. if its coming at all.. a SVF tone of this thing in full polyphonic version - arghghg i'd die and go to heaven immediately
Yeah, I was about to order the TO SEM patch panel when I heard this...

I know it may be a little bit too soon but based on the features (although not yet entirely clear for me) and sound of one demo (but maybe the oscillators are the same as on the Erebus?) I am wondering which one would be the better choice, SEM patch panel re-issue or NYX?
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
I am wondering which one would be the better choice, SEM patch panel re-issue or NYX?
I thought the demo sounded great but didn't hear anything extraordinary. If it was me I'd go for the Oberheim without a doubt. However the Oberheim sound suits me well. Look for a used SEM and get this one down the road?
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

The relative tuning of the two oscillators and how exactly the two filters function is still very unclear to me. I wonder if a fifth is now possible between the oscillators. Also, is the low pass filter 24dB and the high pass 12dB...who knows...can they be used simultaneously, who knows...are their envelopes now a bit faster as they were in Erebus, who knows....still all very unclear. And only one demo so far. But sounds interesting in any case!
Old 17th December 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
I wonder if a fifth is now possible between the oscillators.
If you're referring to the Erebus, to which Nyx is clearly related, a fifth has always been possible. I think it was Nick Batt who suggested it wasn't, but he's mistaken.
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
If you're referring to the Erebus, to which Nyx is clearly related, a fifth has always been possible. I think it was Nick Batt who suggested it wasn't, but he's mistaken.
That is good, one less problem!
Old 17th December 2016
Quote:
Yeah, I was about to order the TO SEM patch panel when I heard this...

I know it may be a little bit too soon but based on the features (although not yet entirely clear for me) and sound of one demo (but maybe the oscillators are the same as on the Erebus?) I am wondering which one would be the better choice, SEM patch panel re-issue or NYX?
well they are obviously different topologies and features. But also inherent character across various dreadbox machines is different from Oberheim's. not a question of "better", as much as preference or ones needs.

to my ears dreadboxen sound very juicy and sweet. vintagey but with their own colour. That is exactly what makes em interesting to me. Obie has stronger edge in the filter. capable of both silk, and hp bp "chew".

however its no secret im not enamored by the reissue. Its tad harsher and brighter, whereas original SEM is so warm and organic, has more growl in the low mids, whilst still capable of edginess with higher resonance settings. humongous sweet spot.

i have a feeling Nyx deosnt have enough features to be used as classic mono. they went for something different, but like you im not clear on how you do certain things with it, especilly regarding the dual svf.. the envelopes.. hope theres another demo soon..
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
well they are obviously different topologies and features. But also inherent character across various dreadbox machines is different from Oberheim's. not a question of "better", as much as preference or ones needs.

to my ears dreadboxen sound very juicy and sweet. vintagey but with their own colour. That is exactly what makes em interesting to me. Obie has stronger edge in the filter. capable of both silk, and hp bp "chew".

however its no secret im not enamored by the reissue. Its tad harsher and brighter, whereas original SEM is so warm and organic, has more growl in the low mids, whilst still capable of edginess with higher resonance settings. humongous sweet spot.

i have a feeling Nyx deosnt have enough features to be used as classic mono. they went for something different, but like you im not clear on how you do certain things with it, especilly regarding the dual svf.. the envelopes.. hope theres another demo soon..
Of course one could not be a direct replacement for the other but as I am pretty minimalist about my setup (lack of space, carefully planed budget and the fact that I find limitations inspiring and overlapping daunting ), I have read about the SVF multi-mode filter and I thought it would be this one or the other for me...

By the way, what features you think are lacking from the NYX in order to be used as a classic mono?
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Maniac

I wonder if the envelopes are different than the linear envelopes on the Erebus and Hades? Since they aren't full adsr anymore, could be an entirely new design?
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

I had to really lol when I saw that name... "Nyx" is ancient Greek, it means "night"... hence the colour... so we have erebus, abyss, hades, and now nyx... I'll bet you 1€ that I can find the next name they will come up with... Expect names such as Orpheus, Cerberus, Pluto and the like...

Sounds awesome though.. really beefy tone.. The design is a bit weird but the tone is really good.
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

I wrote an email to them asking if there's a preliminary manual for NYX...let's see how it goes.
Old 17th December 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
should i order this. or save my pennies for that Abyss. if its coming at all..
Abyss is still in the plan, but has had a few software delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud drift View Post
I wonder if the envelopes are different than the linear envelopes on the Erebus and Hades? Since they aren't full adsr anymore, could be an entirely new design?
Looking at the front panel, could be the EGs are a bit like the Moog Prodigy's. Weren't they an odd three-stage design?
Old 17th December 2016
Here for the gear

Hello guys,

Well, i was reading this thread and i thought that its a good idea to just drop by and answer a couple of questions, although on Tuesday we have arranged to shoot a demo video that we'll try to explain everything.
There are mainly 3 things that worth explaining:

1. The EG's are actually attack decay , or when having the hold engaged they turn into attack release. Engaging the lfo switch they turn into LFO's where the rise and fall will determine the rate. Having the hold on while lfo is engaged and pressing down a key will set them on a sustain state.

2. There are 2 Erebus filters in there with the addition of a high pass mode. You can have them in series or parallel, so you can have a 24dbor 12db filter(s).

3. The rooting determines (as mentioned above) if the filters play in parallel, in series and in which mode they are. You can also set the oscillators path.
For example if the switches are on NOR (normal) and LPF, you get both vco through both filters in series, hence you get a 24db/ocv low pass filter.
Having them into SPLIT and ODD , you get parallel filters where vco1 goes through a LPF and vco2 through a HPF. On that last mode if you set MOD root into SPLIT, you also have a modulator1 on the 1st filter and modulator2 on the second, and in that way you can have completely different vibes from each sound source.
On the sound clip, in the middle of the track , im actually sending both vco's directly into the vca, so i have both filters free, and then by cracking up the reson i got 2 more sound sources.

4. Yes, you can have a unison mode , but you need to access an internal DIP switch.

We ll be back on Wednesday with a video then
I hope you enjoy it

Btw,thank you guys all for your support. I really cant describe how happy it make us to see people using our staff as me and Dimitra are really giving our hart and soul on every single project we make!
Old 17th December 2016
Here for the gear
Already own the Erebus and Hades, love what these guys do.

Preordered to Oregon in the US, comes out to 467.58 euros shipped, or $500 in case anyone was curious.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
Already own the Erebus and Hades, love what these guys do.

Preordered to Oregon in the US, comes out to 467.58 euros shipped, or $500 in case anyone was curious.
Where from?
Old 18th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_dreadbox View Post
Hello guys,

Well, i was reading this thread and i thought that its a good idea to just drop by and answer a couple of questions, although on Tuesday we have arranged to shoot a demo video that we'll try to explain everything.
There are mainly 3 things that worth explaining:

1. The EG's are actually attack decay , or when having the hold engaged they turn into attack release. Engaging the lfo switch they turn into LFO's where the rise and fall will determine the rate. Having the hold on while lfo is engaged and pressing down a key will set them on a sustain state.
awesome, thanks for the information. and thank you for coming here. its the first time we had contact with someone from Dreadbox, and we have been talking about your synthesizers a lot .

good to know about the hold mode which makes it possible to have sustained notes and release instead of decay. its similar to how function generators like buchla 281 or intellijel quadra work.

one thing i wanted to ask about Nyx envelopes, if i may : are they digital or analog design, and most importantly, are the shapes linear, or logarithmic attack and exponential decay, like they are on most classic synths?

and, is there any target time frame you have set for release of Abyss, at least aproximately, or is this too far on the horizon as of yet? and is there any new info about it you could possibly share with us?

thanks
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Guru

sorry for the stupid question but how do you detune osc's from each other with only one large tuning knob..?

what am I not seeing..?
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
sorry for the stupid question but how do you detune osc's from each other with only one large tuning knob..?

what am I not seeing..?
Hmm, maybe the "detune" slider?
Old 18th December 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post
Where from?
sythesizers.gr the only place that has it up for preorder that I know of. Out of Greece.
Old 18th December 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
sythesizers.gr the only place that has it up for preorder that I know of. Out of Greece.
KMR is taking preorders in the UK, but at a higher price. It does have this blurb, which adds a bit to the specsheet and John_dreadbox's post:

Quote:
The*Dreadbox NYX*is a semi modular analogue synthesizer with a flexible open*architecture and unique routing options.

NYX would best be described as a sound designer’s playground, with a very well thought out workflow and a spec sheet that reads like any synth enthusiasts dream;

Two dual wave analogue oscillators with detune, dual analogue filters,*reverb effects section, three modulators / LFO's and*15 eurorack compatible patch points for inspiring*modulation combinations.

Plus something rarely seen in any other synthesizer; VCO and VCF audio routing and VCF modulation routing for a true open, modular experience.

The two VCO's provide paraphonic playing capabilities, both feature a wide operating range, independant*PWM,*glide and level controls, there's also a dedicated vibrato LFO and oscillator sync for a diverse array of raw analogue tones.

The onboard VCF is dual mode and can operate as either 24dB or 12dB low pass of high pass and includes controls for master cutoff, resonance and includes rotary switch for selecting the routing of the modulators to the filter. There's also a post slider for attenuating the signal hitting the resonance section after the filter section.

Speaking of modulators, there are three onboard which can function as pseudo attack decay envelopes, with rise and fall controls. The modulators can also function as LFO's, with the LFO mode engaged the level slider LED displays the rate of the LFO providing*vital visual feedback.

Modulator 1 and 2 are normalled to the filter and modulator 3 is normalled to the VCA, thus providing attack and decay to the VCA using the rise and fall controls. With hold engaged on modulator 3 the synth will drone, making it a cool tool for building textures and soundscapes.

As you'd expect on any DreadBox synthesizer, there's a wealth of patching options to hand. 15 patch points in total grant access to VCO 2's output (great for FM), modulators 1 and 2's output, modulation wheel output, gate and CV.

Patch inputs include VCO 1 and 2, VCF cut off frequency, global pitch CV, reverb time, filter post amount, global pulse width amount, VCA gate and VCA level.

Dreadbox are big on their effects and NYX is no exception, there's a very inspiring reverb circuit onboard that's been provided courtesy of Crazy Tube Circuits. It's a unique sounding reverb with lots of character and opens up a new world of sonic possibilities.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

I absolutely love the tone of these synths... But I am curious... Isn't there a lot of overlap between this Nyx, the Hades and the Erebus?

Can someone tell me how they differ?
Aren't they all essentially 2 oscillator monosynths?
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
Hmm, maybe the "detune" slider?
Sooooooo you use the slider to detune the second oscillator from osc 1..??

I guess that'll work, I didn't see that slider I was looking for another knob, can't say I've ever detuned a osc against another with a slider but there you go it's on this synth..
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
I absolutely love the tone of these synths... But I am curious... Isn't there a lot of overlap between this Nyx, the Hades and the Erebus?

yes I agree for the most part, differences that are obvious is one has delay, one has reverb and one doesn't have any effects but does have 'drive' into the vca but they are probably all made with the same oscillators and filters, nothing wrong with that I guess as they do sound good..

they could probably condense all 3 into one really nice synth and people would line up more for it imo..
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hades is 1 osc with 2 suboscillators and no effects. It's more limited than the others, but it sounds great.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm not following Dreadbox closely, nevertheless...

Each has its own architecture and effect, giving to each its own sonic territory. A bit like monotrons: there's some common ground but they all go in their own direction.

Roughly:
Hades: 1 osc + 2 subs + distortion + 18dB filter
Erebus: 2 oscs + Unison + Delay
Nyx: more complex modulation + more complex filter + reverb

Look at those ingredients and think at what they point towards to.
Old 18th December 2016
I 'd like to add another question if Giannis is willing to answer here or at the video they are about to release, can you chain the Erebus and the Nyx into a four voice paraphonic madness?? I mean, 2 notes through delay, 2 notes through all that modulation and reverb plus some self oscillation from the filters??
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

A great synth, apparently not the multi-note paraphonic I was imagining, but still time for Dreadbox, or anyone else, to create the first of those for very many years.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
A great synth, apparently not the multi-note paraphonic I was imagining, but still time for Dreadbox, or anyone else, to create the first of those for very many years.
Have there ever been true paraphonic module?
The little i know paraphonic organs involve key triggering-multiplexing and loads of oscillators. Not sure can all that be fitted to TH module.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

It would be difficult to create at a small form factor. Ideally it would be great for a multi-paraphonic unit like that to have a keyboard attached in the old style, but maybe with much more synthesis options - but anything like that would be great and very overdue really.

In the meantime, this is another great synth from Dreadbox, and again original in a different way - love the design, the dual-paraphonic emphasis + patchbay, which I've never seen on any other synth anywhere, let alone built-in effects. The demo also sounds great - well done to dreadbox - again!

Last edited by wendell r.; 18th December 2016 at 03:25 PM..
Old 18th December 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweethome View Post
or $560, very good price indeed!
or around $746 Canadian Dollars.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

I have also read at Muffwiggler's that the filter in Erebus had high noise floor. I wonder if Giannis could tell us if it is fixed with NYX...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search