The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th March 2018
Deleted User
Nice write up! And great tip with modulating the delay with osc2, i need to try that.

Yeah it's incredible how beautiful and musical this little synth is, and it can quickly go mental if you want
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapmo View Post
So I returned my Nyx with the bad oscillator and what appeared to be noise bleed from the VCO -> VCA setting. I received a new one. The VCOs both work, and the noise bleed issue seems less extreme. Unfortunately, the unit has to be plugged in several times before it responds to MIDI. Worse, the VCO sync doesn't work. I've used the sawtooth wave and set the pitch of VCO II higher than VCO I, but there is no difference between sync off and sync on.

If anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know. Otherwise this one is going back as well. Thanks.
Check out this video on syncing...
YouTube
Old 17th March 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by neorev View Post
Check out this video on syncing...
YouTube
Thanks for the video! That's a great tip.

My problem was that VCO 2 wouldn't sync to VCO 1, which, according to page 6 in the manual, is what should happen when you turn on sync. Between that issue and the power-up problem I was having, I had to send the Nyx back. It was the second unit I received that had issues, and I haven't reordered. You guys with your functional Nyx's are making me jealous.
Old 14th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvS View Post
I am experiencing similar stuff with my Nyx:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...d-through.html

It is not really noise, as in white or pink noise, that I am hearing it sounds more like the high frequencies of the oscillators that are bleeding though somewhere.
Yep. I spoke with the developer. I sent him audio clips of the noise coming out of the unit even with the low pass filter all the way down. He says the noise that is presented in my sample is nominal. I even received a new unit and it's relatively the same. This is the deal with boutique synths. There handcrafted so they come with anomalies. I still decided to keep it though, because it does present quite a unique sound. I have a mini brute for basslines, but I always reach for the Nyx for organic sounding atmospheres and especially infinite drones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search