The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Joey, there's a downloadable manual on the Dreadbox site, see http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/wp-conten...ers-manual.pdf
Hi there.. nice to meet you Yes, I am very aware of how the unit works and I have a lot of experience with recording equipment. The problem is, I am experiencing noise coming out of the unbalanced 1/4" jack going into my Focusrite pro14. I've tried both TRS and TS cables, as well as trying the line & instrument level input settings within the soundcard's control panel, same thing happens. It seems the lowpass filter doesn't sweep it out either. If I have the cutoff all the way down, playing a key will trigger line noise that is substantial in the recording into my daw (ableton). Of course if I open the filter, that noise is layered with the sound. Also, while in lfo mode, even if the lfo level isn't turned up, there is a ticking static pulse that is triggered without even hitting the key that just continues to run. Anyone else experiencing line noise coming out of the nyx? Note: it makes no noise unless I trigger it with my midi controller. Do you think a DI box would solve this problem? Or do I have a defective unit? Thankls guys! Joey
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Connect gate input on recently-arrived Nyx to Volca Beats trigger out.

Grab spare pile of 1/8" (3.5mm) patch cables.

Lose an hour or two making oddball noises.

Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Any of the errors solved? Osc Sync, unwanted noise and so on..
Old 4th November 2017
Lives for gear

Not much activity around here, is it?
Old 4th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
Any of the errors solved? Osc Sync, unwanted noise and so on..
I've had the Nyx since it came out and never had any issues whatsoever so not sure what you're talking about tbh...
Old 4th November 2017
AvS
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moralz View Post
Hi there.. nice to meet you Yes, I am very aware of how the unit works and I have a lot of experience with recording equipment. The problem is, I am experiencing noise coming out of the unbalanced 1/4" jack going into my Focusrite pro14. I've tried both TRS and TS cables, as well as trying the line & instrument level input settings within the soundcard's control panel, same thing happens. It seems the lowpass filter doesn't sweep it out either. If I have the cutoff all the way down, playing a key will trigger line noise that is substantial in the recording into my daw (ableton). Of course if I open the filter, that noise is layered with the sound. Also, while in lfo mode, even if the lfo level isn't turned up, there is a ticking static pulse that is triggered without even hitting the key that just continues to run. Anyone else experiencing line noise coming out of the nyx? Note: it makes no noise unless I trigger it with my midi controller. Do you think a DI box would solve this problem? Or do I have a defective unit? Thankls guys! Joey
I am experiencing similar stuff with my Nyx:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...d-through.html

It is not really noise, as in white or pink noise, that I am hearing it sounds more like the high frequencies of the oscillators that are bleeding though somewhere.
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

Is it just me or the Dreadbox Abyss sounds worse?
Old 6th November 2017
Try lowering the VCA gain below half value, then boost your sound externally using whatever software or hardware. Don't crank up the VCA and try to balance the volume externally.

and please stop complaining about how sterile vst and digital synthesizers sound and at the same time about the noise on pure analog synthesisers. Well, one of the ingredients to warm up the sound is this hard-to-hear noise.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone?
Old 8th November 2017
Here for the gear
I own a Nyx and have demoed the Abyss as Moog Audio. I wouldn't say the Abyss sounds worse by any means but the voice architecture is obviously a lot more limited although the core tone is beautiful. The filter and modulation routings on the Nyx are what makes it so special, in fact it reminds me of a Yamaha CS-15 at times in the way in which you can route each VCO to a different filter which can be modulated by its own slope generator. The real heart of the Abyss however is in the interaction between the wave former and the reflector where it's possible to focus in on and emphasise particular harmonics to create some uniquly haunting timbres. I can't help feeling that Dreadbox missed a trick though by allowing filter to be modulated by 2 LFOs and its dedicated envelope but only allowing the wave former to be modulated by its own LFO. Even my humble Juno 6 allows me to shape the pulse width with an envelope as well as the LFO. Its limitations like this that make me wonder if there's enough flexibility in the Abyss to keep me entertained in the long term although I do think it sounds superb. The Nyx sounds really good but crucially has more depth and better interface options.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the Abyss is far more interesting/better sounding. But apples and oranges really.
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Maniac
Is the NYX supposed to be making sound on its own when the VCA is set to LFO? I’m not used to this kind of synth so i’m not really sure
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Maniac
I just nudged it and it stopped, so apparently not!
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Got my NYX last week and I am fairly happy with it. Here are some impressions:

Bleed through: is ok, Yes, when you put the VCA on max (hold on modulator), you will hear the oscillators, but in normal setting this is not a problem.

Oscillators are phat, limited by waveshapes though.

Filter sounds great, very liquid. Always a little nasal which will tend to lock out certain dry sounds. But nevertheless, sounds great in both modes, HP and LP. I like the 2 pole a lot.

Modulators are actually suprinsigly flexible and you have 3! Fast enough and very analog spongy.

Reverb is interesting but not very useful in wet positions for me. I like it almost dry and it adds some room. In wet positions it dominates the sound.

Patchfield is actually very thought through PWM sounds awesome and crossmodulation works well on oscillator and filter.

Quality is good, nothing to complain for the price I paid.

What is missing: I like velocity, at least to filter or in the patch matrix. Now I have to make mod wheel work. For sequencing that should not be a big problem but for playing live, this synth is lacking. No ADSR either, which makes floating sounds more difficult. It tends to be more sequencer oriented.

The reverb needs to get some getting used to, I think. So far I used it very sparely. I wonder with all the AR envelopes (modulators) that a delay would be the better choice.

Flexibility of the dual filter is great. I think they have though of most combinations, the only thing missing is the serial LP-HP filter combination which is only available in parallel. Also Resonance is shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr shifty View Post
Is the NYX supposed to be making sound on its own when the VCA is set to LFO? I’m not used to this kind of synth so i’m not really sure
Mine does and you come up with off sync poly sequences. Very nice, very moving, never the same. Some might want to sync the modulators and I guess you could, by triggering via midi. Something I need to try.

I only have a few hours with it and I only triggered it from keys. I hope it will shine when combined with the sequencer. But phat sounds are instant and it covers already a lot of turf I intended to use it for. But the complexity of 3 modulators plus a vibrato (which I might want to mod to do PWM or put a toggle switch in). The flexible dual filter setup and the dual oscillators with cross and sync modulation it a good starting point to get interesting results.

Not everything is perfect but with this little real estate you cannot ask for all. Only AR envelopes, no velocity, limited waveshapes on oscillators, the reverb, these are the things I noticed instantly. Sound is great and I was a little concerned about the bleed through. But for me that is not instantly noticeable. I think that is fine and when the no note is triggered my unit is silenct.

Last edited by raffor; 13th November 2017 at 07:18 PM..
Old 25th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
The external input doesn't go through the filter, it goes through the reverb only.
Has anyone investigated modifying the Nyx so external audio can be routed through the filter? There are two oscillators with level controls, so there has to be a mixer before the filter (a place to tap in). Seems like it would be possible, I just don't know how difficult it would be.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Has anyone investigated modifying the Nyx so external audio can be routed through the filter? There are two oscillators with level controls, so there has to be a mixer before the filter (a place to tap in). Seems like it would be possible, I just don't know how difficult it would be.
I opened mine for the dip switch settings and all is smd. Not sure where to dip in here, but I am fairly sure that Dreadbox would tell you if there is an easy way. They seem to be straight forward with their design.

I also bought myself an Erebus but find the NYX just more interesting. The Erebus sounds great though, very in direction of SEM as far as I can compare, just dirtier. The Erebus let's you use the VCF and VCA for external input.
Old 26th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
I opened mine for the dip switch settings and all is smd. Not sure where to dip in here, but I am fairly sure that Dreadbox would tell you if there is an easy way. They seem to be straight forward with their design.
I've emailed Dreadbox, will report back.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post

I also bought myself an Erebus but find the NYX just more interesting. The Erebus sounds great though, very in direction of SEM as far as I can compare, just dirtier.
Please, share some more opinions. I'm thinking about nyx and erebus but can't decide which one to get. Based on specs, i like nyx more but only tried erebus, it has great low end and i liked the sound overall. I'd be happy with it, but extra things on nyx are very tempting. Is basic tone similar? How about low end?
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
Please, share some more opinions. I'm thinking about nyx and erebus but can't decide which one to get. Based on specs, i like nyx more but only tried erebus, it has great low end and i liked the sound overall. I'd be happy with it, but extra things on nyx are very tempting. Is basic tone similar? How about low end?
To be honest, I started out with the NYX and I am happy. If I would have not bought an Erebus I still would think that she is by far thick enough. The Erebus takes is a notch further though.

Low end is better with the Erebus. The Oscillators by itself are similar but the Erebus ones gel better and give you this woolly mush. The NYX is great too, but more edgy sounding. The filter is more nasal.

In general, these synths share the DNA but they are different. Different approach and different use. The Erebus is leaning to lead sounds, the SEM style bass sounds. The Delay also is better for arp sounds. Overall, it sounds good in any pitch range, just pure vintage and the features are lend from the area too.

The NYX is more what I expect from a modular synth. Many modifiers, 3 of them plus vibrato. Great for AR envelopes with very analog response. Not hyper fast, but spongey - gooey. It lends to go a different direction. AR envelopes with a hold are not that great for lead sounds. No movement but there are tricks, like combining two modifiers for an ADSR response. But what do I talk about modifiers, the most important part for me is the way more flexible and good sounding oscillator pair, with cross mod, sync, filter FM. I love envelope on PW and sure, you can patch that, what is missing in the Erebus, where you can also route the Env or LFO to PWM but with always having initial position at square. The NYX can manual set initial PW position. And if you want, VCO2 can also audio modulate PW! Very flexible.

The filter is great too, very resonancy so to speak. You get a pair of 2pole LP and HP. One thing you have to learn is the mode selectors for Oscillator routings, Filter arrangement, and modifier routings. If you get into their somewhat strange labeling, you can get all kind of fun. You have 2 LP or 2 HP filters in series to create 4 pole filters or with the post offset you can do some other crazy stuff. And you have in parallel the LP-LP and LP-HP. The oscillator routing is the most logical by routing both oscillators in Filter 1, Split Osc1 in Filter 1 and Oscillators2 in Filter 2, then half all goes into filter 2, and a direct setting directly to VCA. Makes sense, or? Modifier routing is easy too.

Filter resonance and cutoff has one knob for both filters and only the post or the spacing between the two cutoffs can be controlled. That is also a parameter in the patch field and fun to play with. Yes, and then there is a reverb which is something you need to get used first. It is a great addition though, once you understand how it works.

So, to make a long story short, the NYX is just pure fun. Maybe not as warm and fuzzy as the Erebus, not all is sweet spot either, but it is an amazing machine in such a small package. And it sounds just great. Sometimes I ask myself why this would need 3 oscillators when two already sounding so full. And sure enough, when I run the Erebus through the NYX (I prefer that setting) or visa versa, the third or fourth oscillator doesn't add much. However, I like to play a bass patch on the NYX and higher pitch on the Erebus and have the delay playing, like pitch shifted, through a long reverb decay.

So, If you want something that works out of the box, doesn't need to be complex, just vintage sounding, go for the Erebus. If you get bored easy with your gear, the NYX is sound-wise not far off and adds a lot more of complexity.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you for the time and effort for such usefull post. I don't have mono synth in my setup now, nor I miss it too much for my music, but in the past I couldn't live without two or three monos in the setup at least.

Now, I don't want to do something it doesn't make sense. I can make great basses with almost all of my polysynths, so this mono has to be better for low end and classic mono stuff, so Erebus fits just about right here.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
Thank you for the time and effort for such usefull post. I don't have mono synth in my setup now, nor I miss it too much for my music, but in the past I couldn't live without two or three monos in the setup at least.

Now, I don't want to do something it doesn't make sense. I can make great basses with almost all of my polysynths, so this mono has to be better for low end and classic mono stuff, so Erebus fits just about right here.
I am a poly guy as well. But these things are fun to play around with. Erebus has bass, one of the best. Not the buzzy kind, the round and warm kind. But you won't be disappointed!!
Old 21st December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomix_303 View Post
Has anyone else tried feeding another synth into the Audio In, seems very muffled? I know you can't filter the input so slightly confused as to why?

Thanks,

Tom
Yes, my audio input is very muffled too, un-usable imo.
Old 22nd December 2017
I used to like the Erebus whenever I tested or heard it anywhere.
Then the Nyx came out, and I thought "Oh, that must be like the Erebus, but more versatile!", and I ordered one.
After an hour or so the variable routings had successfully tied my brain into a knot (I'm a simple guy), and I sold it.
Now I have just ordered a second-hand Erebus V2 - I'm sure I'll like it...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 22nd December 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
I used to like the Erebus whenever I tested or heard it anywhere.
Then the Nyx came out, and I thought "Oh, that must be like the Erebus, but more versatile!", and I ordered one.
After an hour or so the variable routings had successfully tied my brain into a knot (I'm a simple guy), and I sold it.
Now I have just ordered a second-hand Erebus V2 - I'm sure I'll like it...

Cheers,
Bert
I agree with Bert that the routings are confusing mainly down to the unintuitive labelling but it's actually pretty straightforward to learn. For me it's the "dual-timbral" aspects of the Nyx that make it something almost unique in modern desktop synths. From around 2:14 onwards in the video below you can hear the 'split' routing in action. I know it's not the beefiest sounding mono when you do this, but it has it's own flavour and that's enough for me:

Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac

I love the Nyx! The routings make it even stronger.

Here's a video with examples of the different routing options...

Old 10th February 2018
Here for the gear
Just received my Nyx, and I must have got a bad one. VCO1 doesn't track even one octave, and after a few minutes it goes dead and puts out one pitch no matter what key you press and regardless of the unit's pitch or octave settings.

I'm also disappointed at the level of noise, or possibly signal bleed, on this thing. Some people here have complained about this. To my ears, it appears that the VCO>VCA signal path bleeds through even when you're using one of the VCO>VCF signal paths. So if you have a VCO>VCF signal with the high end rolled off, you'll still hear the ghost of the unfiltered VCO>VCA signal.

I like the sound of this synth in the demos I've heard, but my first impression of it is pretty negative based on the lack of quality control. I'm debating whether to send this back for a refund or a replacement.
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapmo View Post
Just received my Nyx, and I must have got a bad one. VCO1 doesn't track even one octave, and after a few minutes it goes dead and puts out one pitch no matter what key you press and regardless of the unit's pitch or octave settings.

I'm also disappointed at the level of noise, or possibly signal bleed, on this thing. Some people here have complained about this. To my ears, it appears that the VCO>VCA signal path bleeds through even when you're using one of the VCO>VCF signal paths. So if you have a VCO>VCF signal with the high end rolled off, you'll still hear the ghost of the unfiltered VCO>VCA signal.

I like the sound of this synth in the demos I've heard, but my first impression of it is pretty negative based on the lack of quality control. I'm debating whether to send this back for a refund or a replacement.
Yeah, I'd return it - and see if you can get a replacement. FWIW I've never had any of the issues with regard to filter bypass bleed (VCO -> VCA) on mine.
Old 10th February 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Yeah, I'd return it - and see if you can get a replacement. FWIW I've never had any of the issues with regard to filter bypass bleed (VCO -> VCA) on mine.
Thanks. The positive reviews for the Nyx keep me hopeful. The VCO problem alone tells me I got a lemon. Hopefully I'll have better luck on my next try.
Old 20th February 2018
Here for the gear
So I returned my Nyx with the bad oscillator and what appeared to be noise bleed from the VCO -> VCA setting. I received a new one. The VCOs both work, and the noise bleed issue seems less extreme. Unfortunately, the unit has to be plugged in several times before it responds to MIDI. Worse, the VCO sync doesn't work. I've used the sawtooth wave and set the pitch of VCO II higher than VCO I, but there is no difference between sync off and sync on.

If anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know. Otherwise this one is going back as well. Thanks.
Old 16th March 2018
M32
Lives for gear
I have one of these gems since yesterday, i love it.
Very quirky, but pure character.
It has a bit of osc bleed, but it really doesn't matter, part of this thing's charm is that it sounds a bit filthy in a gorgeous way.

To my surprise, it's a lot more musical then i expected from the comments, the duophonics sounds lovely. When you use the reverb, and send it through some delay and a shimmer algo, it does some brilliant pads.
As an arp it's wonderfull too, lovely delicate high-end and resonance, plus using osc2 to mod stuff gives you more bell-like tonalities.

The envelopes are a bit annoying, the fact they have some strange retriggering and non-retriggering habits make it tricky for leads. I tried to get velocity by using max4live devices to convert velocity to modwheel, again hard to get consistency. In the end using a modwheel felt easier, perhaps an expression pedal to CC1 might work better. Managed to get aftertouch too, but going via 127-value midi made it rather steppy. Useable in small amounts though.

One of the best tricks is modulating the delay decay with osc2 output, gives a kind of chorused reverb effect that is super musical, since it tracks the pitch of osc2. Got that practically patched in as a standard now.

Sending other stuff through it is great, it's tone is so dark it's not so much a reverb as a harmonic smearing/smudging, and when you overdrive the input it gets gritty in a really nice way.

One of the greatest things was playing a good digital piano that was also controlling the Nyx via midi, and sending a bit of the piano through the Nyx-reverb.

Definitely a keeper, very fitting name too,
"a figure of such exceptional power and beauty that she is feared by Zeus himself"

Beautiful and ominous.

That's it, guess i'm a Dreadbox fanboy now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search