The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 20th May 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
strange those spiky waveforms, seems like there is continuous filter resonance going on
Yep. A design characteristic. See p.4 of this thread.
Old 20th May 2017
Here for the gear

Well the review definitely confirmed that the unit I sent back was faulty since Nick worked the sync with ease. Also, I guess I must have a different definition of what "sweet spot" means, because Nick and a few others have said they're hard to find and maintain. IMO the Nyx's raw oscillators and filter are so nice that you are already starting with a huge sweet spot. I love sweeping that Erebus filter in 24db mode over those oscillators. It's also one of the few synths where I enjoy the raw oscillators.
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
strange those spiky waveforms, seems like there is continuous filter resonance going on
Initial design decisions, most likely.
If you're looking for pure waveforms, skip the Waldorf Q. They designed imperfect waveforms in from the beginning on purpose.

Take a look at the revered MiniMoog waveforms. Not pure at all.
Old 25th May 2017
Deleted User

Interesting and unadvertised discussion of Dreadbox Nyx in latest Sonic Talk, about 48 minutes in. Nick Batt is unenthusiastic about it, more openly critical than in his review, citing too-fast LFOs, deficient control interface, lack of veolocity sensitivity and too-high price.

I'm somewhat surpised given some of the other - and quickly forgotten - synths he's endosed. Maybe he feels Dreadbox has been given too easy a ride.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
[YOUTUBE]
Interesting and unadvertised discussion of Dreadbox Nyx in latest Sonic Talk, about 48 minutes in. Nick Batt is unenthusiastic about it, more openly critical than in his review, citing too-fast LFOs, deficient control interface, lack of velocity sensitivity and too-high price.

I'm somewhat surprised given some of the other - and quickly forgotten - synths he's endorsed. Maybe he feels Dreadbox has been given too easy a ride.
Didn't sound that harsh to me. They were gushing a bit on the wonderful sound of the Dreadbox(es) in general- and coming off as fans of the company's offerings. Even hinting that the 1st products from Dreadbox might someday be revered. Gaz sounds like he dreams of the Abyss even.

Sounded like he felt the Nyx was great sound but not great value, and one might choose an Erebus over a Nyx- (but still go for the Dreadbox sound).

** I don't own any Dreadbox, and have not seen one in person- so I have no clue other than reviews/ word of mouth/ online vids/demos. Hearing this sonictalk has peaked my interest in them (on the radar now).
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

the mono reverb is a big let down
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
the mono reverb is a big let down

In practice, I find that is not actually the case. It's nice to be able to manage a mono signal that's so big and full like the one coming out of the NYX with reverb engaged. Same with the Elements synth with the delay and reverb all coming out the same mono output.

Unless you plan to have a solo NYX track, a full stereo reverb coming out would take up so much sonic space that you'd have trouble fitting anything else in without doing a lot of work. For me, even though the NYX reverb is great, it's mainly only one type of sound. My outboard reverbs have a lot more variety and you don't always want that same big Dreadbox reverb sound.

FWIW, I'd rather have mono outputs from most any synth. It makes it much easier for subsequent processing and mixing with other gear.
Old 25th May 2017
Here for the gear

The reverb in the Nyx is licensed from Crazy Tube Circuits so I imagine part of the price goes to them. You get 4-pole, 2-pole, and HPF modes, compared to the Erebus' 2 pole LPF only. The dual filter offset allows you to get some nice throaty sounds. It's a unique synth. If you want that stuff the price is worth it and you probably can find a place with a discount if you're patient. I actually became quite fond of the mono reverb and tweak it as I'm playing in such a way that it doesn't even seem like reverb at times. A stereo reverb would always give itself away if you were tweaking the mix as you play.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

I think this one, of all of the first tranche of Dreadbox gear so far, is the one most likely to be remembered as a classic. The sound I've heard so far is simply exceptional.

Last edited by wendell r.; 25th May 2017 at 09:54 PM..
Old 25th May 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
Didn't sound that harsh to me. They were gushing a bit on the wonderful sound of the Dreadbox(es) in general- and coming off as fans of the company's offerings. Even hinting that the 1st products from Dreadbox might someday be revered. Gaz sounds like he dreams of the Abyss even.
Nick wasn't harsh. The most telling sentence is, "I'm not saying it's a bad synth, but ..." He was the least enthusiastic guy in the conversation and the only one who'd used it.

Not a big deal for me. I'm well aware of Nyx's negatives, but think its positives outweigh them.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
In practice, I find that is not actually the case. It's nice to be able to manage a mono signal that's so big and full like the one coming out of the NYX with reverb engaged.
If having a stereo reverb is a "problem", you can just use only the left or right output.
Or just mix it down to 1 channel.

If one is gonna put a reverb in a synth, making it only mono is just a limitation.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If having a stereo reverb is a "problem", you can just use only the left or right output.
Or just mix it down to 1 channel.

If one is gonna put a reverb in a synth, making it only mono is just a limitation.
You should buy my NYX and see for yourself.
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You should buy my NYX and see for yourself.
how much?
Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
how much?
too late - gone

Last edited by oldgearguy; 26th May 2017 at 05:57 PM..
Old 30th May 2017
Gear Head

Alright everyone.

Just a quick question.

Has anyone​ tried using the CV outputs and inputs from a hardware synth and into the NYX?

I haven't tried this yet. I would like to know everyone elses experience before I actually try this.

Cheers.

Doug
Old 2nd June 2017
Here for the gear

Has anyone else tried feeding another synth into the Audio In, seems very muffled? I know you can't filter the input so slightly confused as to why?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Is there a Nyx demo where you can really hear all the filter options properly explored? Every Nyx demo seems to just about get good, and then they slather that reverb on and it's impossible to tell what's going on underneath it, and Sonic Lab he gets all into playing the filter but doesn't really show the modes in use.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
Is there a Nyx demo where you can really hear all the filter options properly explored? Every Nyx demo seems to just about get good, and then they slather that reverb on and it's impossible to tell what's going on underneath it, and Sonic Lab he gets all into playing the filter but doesn't really show the modes in use.
The filter modes are interesting, but because of the limited controls and the interdependencies among them, it takes time and practice to really try and isolate each filter mode and then show the range of what it can do. It's not as simple as like an SEM where a single knob rotates through the modes and the separate cutoff and resonance can be dialled in at each stage to hear the differences.

TBH, the NYX sounds best when the reverb is on at least a little bit, it's definitely a distinguishing factor in the overall sound/vibe of the unit.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
Nice mod. I can't help wondering though: why on earth didn't they make it themselves? It is such a fundamental thing to play in fifths on a mono synthesizer. Not everyone is comfortable with a soldering iron.

Also: the noisy VCF/VCA. Some people reported that Erebus was borderline unusable because of this and had to let it go. Not so good, I wonder if it is fixed.

It would also help to learn a few more things on the envelopes. I think they are a bit slow on the Erebus.
noisy? Not in my experience.
Old 16th June 2017
Here for the gear

Had the Erebus, loved it. This seems to be an awesome upgrade!
Old 21st June 2017
Here for the gear

Nyx now with SMD technology not "through the hole" ...

Hey folks,

I have an erebus which I really like and checked the nyx (demo unit) in a store recently. It also sounded great but was not possible to get one in Germany for a long time. Maybe because they didn´t get certain electronic parts for the synth. Now it seems that there is bunch of nyxes on its way to german stores.

The problem (well, maybe there is no problem ..) is that "Units above serial number 406 will have one of the two PCBs with SMD components" as stated at the Dreadbox website. That means it is not "through hole component"-technology anymore, at least for the nyx.

"Our effects and synthesizers are handmade including soldering, wiring, screen-printing and wood works. Their circuits are analog, filled only with through hole components.", that is the first sentence at the Dreadbox site ...

I asked them via mail whether there are any differences in the sound. They replied that there are no differences soundwise but "The only negative factor is that we cannot fix any problem caused by the user and that in this case we have to replace the whole board." But this alone is a reason for me not to buy the SMD-version although the SMD-version will be cheaper (599,- Euro).

Hmm, ... what do you think about SMD vs. "through the hole"-technology in this case?
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

I think it's a non-issue. Dreadbox makes quality gear. You shouldn't plan your purchase on it breaking down.
Old 24th June 2017
Deleted User

An interesting clip showing the Nyx's infinite reverb treating a Monologue.
Old 3rd July 2017
Here for the gear

Dreadbox NYX private Facebook group for users.

NYX Facebook group for users to share videos,
ask questions and not feel alone in the abyss...

https://m.facebook.com/login/?next=h...042598%2F&_rdr
Attached Thumbnails
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!!-img_0008.jpg  
Old 13th July 2017
Here for the gear

Can't wait to get my hands on one
Old 26th July 2017
Here for the gear

Hey I just got my hands on one. But I think something's wrong with the vca

https://youtu.be/vJL50C4yM-Q
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenramone View Post

https://youtu.be/vJL50C4yM-Q
Try turning VCA level up to full, flipping the Hold switch down in the VCA modulator section and raising the Fall slider
Old 26th July 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenramone View Post
Quote:
Try turning VCA level up to full, flipping the Hold switch down in the VCA modulator section and raising the Fall slider
I wonder what the return rate is on the Nyx? Could be Dreadbox is having a hard lesson in deviating from normal envelope design characteristics.
Old 16th September 2017
Here for the gear

New Nyx owner here

Hey gang I'm new to Gearslutz. 20+ years experience producing mostly Drum & Bass.

I recently purchased the Nyx by Dreadbox. I have a few questions for other users.

1. Are you getting more line noise when onky 1 osc is operating?

2. In lfo mode, the modulator pops to the speed of the lfo, even with the level down. Is this normal?

3. Do any of the knobs, primarily vcf cutoff, send midi cc? I only see a through on the back. Would this be done through cv? If so, can I convert cv to midi with an adaptor?

I'm loving the vintage sound tho. Amazing drones with the reverb.

Thanks!

Joey
Old 16th September 2017
Deleted User
Joey, there's a downloadable manual on the Dreadbox site, see http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/wp-conten...ers-manual.pdf
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search