The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
*NEW* Dreadbox NYX Paraphonic Synth!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th April 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHorizon View Post
The filter cutoff wouldn't respond when using the NYX as an external effect.
You can find all this stuff in the manual, Doug. See the schematic.
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

So I got to play the Erebus and the NYX yesterday at synthesizer.gr. The sound is definitely very nice. The synths have some strange quirks though. For example there is an oscillator bleed on the Erebus when you turn the mix knob hard left or right. There's also a bit strange behavior from the filter envelope when you release a key on the keyboard, like the sound makes a instantaneous click or something.

As for the NYX, the modulators are definitely strange when used as envelopes, in fact, I'm still not sure if they can be used as traditional envelopes or not and that bothers me a bit. And even more importantly, the sound volume drops when you have two oscillators in unison and not really detuned, but when you detune the second oscillator the sound level suddenly gets much louder. One more thing is that you cannot detune the oscillators in fifths on the NYX. Dimitris said that the specific unit was a prototype with some bugs so I'm not sure whether those problems are still present on the production units...
Old 13th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
This is why I'm glad I catch Sonic Talk live. In one of the recent episodes Nick showed off the Nyx in an improptu "mess-around" (that's a technical term donchaknow) and after we recovered from the massive sub bass... he mentioned that a review won't happen until after Sonic State returned from visiting Messe.
That brown note and the cavernous verb threw fire on my GAS. Review eagerly anticipated.
Old 19th April 2017
Deleted User

Another Nyx demo. Nothing startling, but at least it's musical - lot of other guys using Nyx as a noise box.

This one seems to have lighter endcheeks than mine, which were a dark-stained ash, IIRC (can't be sure as I've racked it).
Old 21st April 2017
Deleted User

Someone out there is making music with Nyx.

Fortunately, there's still plenty of pneumatic drill sounds left to emulate...
Old 24th April 2017
Here for the gear

NYX is on this from about 1.30 - lovely lush sounding synth...

https://soundcloud.com/lvl-upsounds/the-push-pull-of-it
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

if anyone (especially in the US) has been eyeing the NYX, PM me. I've decided to sell mine.
Old 25th April 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
I've decided to sell mine.
Is this down to the quirks you mentioned earlier in the thread?
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Is this down to the quirks you mentioned earlier in the thread?
Not really. It's more subtle than that.
The filter sounds amazing, the oscillators are great and the reverb is very good as well. The big unknown for me always is - how well does it fit in with the rest of my gear and do I find myself going to it to create new sounds or to add to an existing track.

I can listen to 100 demos and not really know the answer to that question until the gear is here along with the rest of my stuff.

The summary is that even though the NYX has some great pieces and for the price it's an amazing sounding unit, I tended to prefer the gear I already have here instead. Part of it too is that I will admit to under-utilizing the NYX patchbay. I don't really have a lot of patchable gear so I don't tend to use that feature naturally.

So rather than have it sit here for the rare times Iit really is the best thing to use, I'd rather get it into someone else's hands that will make regular use of it.

EDIT - I was playing around with it some more this afternoon - testing out some features for a perspective buyer. You know, this little thing really does sound great. I was getting those low squelchy sounds you hear on Autechre's Incunabula disc real easily using the Split VCO route and the Dual Mod route.

If my Kenton Pro-2000 mk 2 sells first, I just may have to carve out a place and keep the NYX.

Last edited by oldgearguy; 25th April 2017 at 11:35 PM..
Old 3rd May 2017
Deleted User

Interesting and partially successful attempt to integrate a Nyx drone into a dance track.

EDM is not an area in which Nyx excels IMO. However, as this track demonstrates, Nyx is good at removing the plastic sheen that mars so much electronic music.

IDM: now with added organics.
Old 7th May 2017
Here for the gear

I have a NYX and it appears to me that oscillator sync switch does nothing on mine. I thought it might be operator error or something, but I've patched modulators to the different CV points, played with the pitches of both, both with the switch on and off and zero change in sound other than pitch shifts. Maybe I'm misunderstanding sync on this particular synth?
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solyaris View Post
I have a NYX and it appears to me that oscillator sync switch does nothing on mine. I thought it might be operator error or something, but I've patched modulators to the different CV points, played with the pitches of both, both with the switch on and off and zero change in sound other than pitch shifts. Maybe I'm misunderstanding sync on this particular synth?
Did you make sure the frequency of the syncing VCO (I presume VCO II in the Nyx) is above the frequency of the synced VCO (VCO I)?

Also the waveform of VCO II should be set to sawtooth. The triangle cannot cause any sync due to the lack of a "spike" in its waveform.

If this is not the case, then perhaps you have a faulty Nyx.
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting and partially successful attempt to integrate a Nyx drone into a dance track.

EDM is not an area in which Nyx excels IMO. However, as this track demonstrates, Nyx is good at removing the plastic sheen that mars so much electronic music.

IDM: now with added organics.
How many do you have? Did you rack yours with something like that?

Old 7th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Did you make sure the frequency of the syncing VCO (I presume VCO II in the Nyx) is above the frequency of the synced VCO (VCO I)?

Also the waveform of VCO II should be set to sawtooth. The triangle cannot cause any sync due to the lack of a "spike" in its waveform.

If this is not the case, then perhaps you have a faulty Nyx.
Thanks for replying. I have it setup that way. Sawtooths on both. VCO 2 is above 1, and I have tried the inverse as well just in case. No change. I am starting to wonder if it may be faulty.
Old 8th May 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
How many do you have? Did you rack yours with something like that?

Got a Hades, Nyx and Erebus. I've racked them vertically because I wanted all the patch matrixes on the right. Otherwise the cables cross the knobs.
Old 8th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Got a Hades, Nyx and Erebus. I've racked them vertically because I wanted all the patch matrixes on the right. Otherwise the cables cross the knobs.
Out of curiosity, are you having in any trouble with sync on your Nyx? I'm just wondering if there's something finicky about it before I return mine.
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Head

Has anyone successfully recorded the reverb as an external effect on the NYX?
Old 14th May 2017
Here for the gear

Is it normal behaviour that OSC1 is being affected by MOD1 and MOD2 when routing like this?

VCO (SPLIT) > VCF (EVEN or ODD) > MODROOT (SPLIT).

I was expecting to control OSC1 with MOD1 and OSC2 with MOD2. It's even used as an example in the manual. But both MOD1 and MOD2 seem to affect OSC1. While OSC2 is behaving as expected and is only affected by MOD2.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

When you say control OSC 1 are you talking about its pitch?
Old 14th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady View Post
When you say control OSC 1 are you talking about its pitch?
No I mean the filter, VCO1 is going to VCF1 which should be controlled only by MOD1, but MOD2 is affecting it as well.

There appears to be no difference between mod root SPLIT and ODD, they both behave the same.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

When I played with one I had to mix in OSC 1 by itself and tweak all the routings and then OSC 2 by itself to figure it all out. I feel like I had the same quandry as you though but eventually figured it out. Wish I could remember what I did sorry!
Old 15th May 2017
Here for the gear

I've been playing around with it a little bit more and it does seem to work when the level slider of both modulators are on the same level.

When they're both on the same level mod1 only affects vcf1 and mod 2 only affects vcf2. The SPLIT and ODD mod routing also works correctly then.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Some of the sounds in this video are shockingly good - particularly from around 2:28 or so - simply fantastic. It might actually be one of the best-sounding synths I've ever heard.
Old 15th May 2017
Gear Maniac

^in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, it really is a special synth. They didn't skimp on that reverb quality, though it's not particularly diverse, it sounds so good.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Nick on the Nyx:

Old 20th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Great video by Nic!
Wanted to get Leipzig as my bass machine but Nyx looks to be more versatile, smaller and cheaper
Old 20th May 2017
Been waiting for Nick's vid on this to come out. For me the star of this synth is definitely the verb. For those who may not know the verb is available as a eurorack module. That's the route I'm going. I like the rest of the synth too but I just don't need another desktop synth.
Old 20th May 2017
Deleted User
A balanced review from Nick Batt that echoes much of what I’ve said upthread. Finding (and maintaining) sweetspots on the Nyx can be difficult, and patches may be compromised by the limitations of the modulators. I like mine enough to keep it, but this thread suggests a lot of people find it too difficult to use or too sonically restrictive. Nick suggests it may be too expensive as well, though the price seemed fair enough to me, at least on preorder.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

strange those spiky waveforms, seems like there is continuous filter resonance going on
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Sounds fabulous to me - one of the most promising tones coming from a demo that I've ever heard.

Last edited by wendell r.; 20th May 2017 at 09:56 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search