The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wave Alchemy 'REVOLUTION' Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave alchemy View Post
This will happen, we have an SDSV and we will be working on it
Great to hear, absolutely always loved that Simmons sound.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Great to hear, absolutely always loved that Simmons sound.
Us too, it's a great drum synth That and the Pearl Syncussion are perhaps my favourite drum synths of all time!
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

I just purchased Revolution... Crazy-good value at the current sale price!
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I just purchased Revolution... Crazy-good value at the current sale price!
Thanks Simon, enjoy!

Off topic: Still really enjoying that 'Syncussion Drums' demo you created for us all those years ago - I dug that out recently and was listening
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Addict

For those, interested, and as Simonator kindly pointed out - You can grab Revolution at 50% off until Friday: Revolution | Drum Machine Plugin

The 50% deal is because we are celebrating that Revolution has been named and awarded “The Best Software Instrument of 2017" by Music Tech Magazine
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Simon, enjoy!

Off topic: Still really enjoying that 'Syncussion Drums' demo you created for us all those years ago - I dug that out recently and was listening
Haha... While I was now digging around on your website, I too just heard that track for the first time in years!

I've been away from music for a long time, studying a degree... But now getting back into it, with a focus on 90s-style / 'lo-fi' house. Was flirting with the idea of getting a Roland TR-09... But after researching it I reckon Revolution will be far better in every respect. Especially excited to hear the tape-saturated variants.... I've recently been using Goldbaby samples, but with Revolution's round-robin variants I'm expecting it to open up a lot more tonal range and nuance.

Cheers!
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Haha... While I was now digging around on your website, I too just heard that track for the first time in years!

I've been away from music for a long time, studying a degree... But now getting back into it, with a focus on 90s-style / 'lo-fi' house. Was flirting with the idea of getting a Roland TR-09... But after researching it I reckon Revolution will be far better in every respect. Especially excited to hear the tape-saturated variants.... I've recently been using Goldbaby samples, but with Revolution's round-robin variants I'm expecting it to open up a lot more tonal range and nuance.

Cheers!
Haha, yes, that Syncussion demo must be around 6 years old now. Still sounding very cool though... Still loving the Syncussion SY-1 drum synth too - I have no idea why people don't rave about this as much as some other vintage gear. It is an epic sounding machine and so versatile!

Anyway, good to hear you're getting back into music. Feel free to hit me up via e-mail and share some new music (I'd love to hear it), and have fun with Revolution - I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Old 10th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman View Post
I just got Revolution. Overall I absolutely like it. Great sounding samples in analogue that reacts great to external processing. Especially the sequencer is a nice addition. It feels good to program patterns with accents and stuff like this. I like this better than program in simple MIDI editor. I like to make a pattern in Revolution and drag the MIDI out for sequencing in my DAW

But I'm wondering how close a simple sequence would sound on a 909, compared to the same sequence in Revolution? For my ears I prefer the 909 HH3 a a bit earlier in relation to the kick, to get a better groove. It sound a bit late with the Revolution sequencer to me. This kind of micro timing is so important for a real flowing groove. But I have no real comparison.

I mean that not every sound from a drum machine must start exactly at on the grid. It think it's possible that e.g. the kick always is starting directly on the grid, but the HH starts a couple of ms before/after gird. When you just would align all hits so that they start on the grid with a sampler, programming it a XOX sequencer would sound very different, because this micro relation between the hits is lost.

It would be great when this timing would be implemented in Revolution, when it's existing (I'm pretty sure it exists, since I do exactly this in my MIDI editor all the time with samples to get the micro timing right, the right sounding start from a sample is often not directly on the grid for me).

PS: I'm wondering why there are not round robins for the other character modes like tape1/2 and sp1200 too? Sure the sp1200 is a sampler therefore every hit sounds the same, but I'm curious if there is a possible variation in sound for every hit because of the later circuits in the SP1200?
Hey WA,

it's an old question above, but I would be very interested if you have compared or even tweaked the Revolution 909 to have a very similar timing from the individual hits?

I think capturing the sound is one thing, but capturing the exact feel (micro timing) would be the key that's missing with samples. I think the strength from XoX machines is that it's easy to program but the (seems??) to have a groove that is missing from recreating the beat form samples in a simple MIDI sequencer.

Or is it a myth?
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman View Post
Hey WA,

it's an old question above, but I would be very interested if you have compared or even tweaked the Revolution 909 to have a very similar timing from the individual hits?

I think capturing the sound is one thing, but capturing the exact feel (micro timing) would be the key that's missing with samples. I think the strength from XoX machines is that it's easy to program but the (seems??) to have a groove that is missing from recreating the beat form samples in a simple MIDI sequencer.

Or is it a myth?
From our tests, the feel, sound and groove of the original 909 is mostly caused simply by the analogue nature of the sounds - i.e each hit sounding different from one another each time a sound is generated - which also results in a VERY slight difference in timing (or perhaps we could even say perceived). Revolution includes many round robin variations of every sound, which does replicate this feel in our opinion.

We have also included a function called 'Sequencer Slop', which emulates this micro timing, by offsetting each note in a pattern by a random amount - which can be set from extremely subtle (barely audible), to extreme (very sloppy) + swing and shuffle grooves.

I hope this helps
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

"Sequencer Slop".

Love it!
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

Yay! Worked it out.

Last edited by Mushy Mushy; 7th March 2018 at 08:49 PM..
Old 7th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Could somebody help me activate multiple outputs on this thing, it's driving me crazy.

So far I have:
- RTFM (several times);
- watched several YouTube videos;
- Used the 16 out Kontakt;
- Clicked that little square box in the middle right of the screen to switch from one dot (out) to 12 dots;
- Selected the Kontakt multi out visibility window.

Everything is still feeding into channels 1 & 2. How do I assign to the other 14 channels?

I'm using Ableton Live.
Hi Mushy Mushy,

I think you are looking for this:
WeTransfer

It's a movie I got from Wave Alchemy explaining how to set up Revolution with Multiple Outputs in Live. This worked for me.

Greetz,
Bart
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellectra View Post
Hi Mushy Mushy,

I think you are looking for this:
WeTransfer

It's a movie I got from Wave Alchemy explaining how to set up Revolution with Multiple Outputs in Live. This worked for me.

Greetz,
Bart
Brilliant. Thanks mate!!! Downloading now.
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear

This needs to be addressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty1fifty View Post
Hey guys. I posted this over at KVR, but saw that this appears to be another active community for Revolution, so I thought I would post here, as well. I am having a problem I am hoping someone can help me with. When using Revolution with Maschine, I am able to use the eight knobs to manipulate the various parameters. If I then go to page 1 of the parameters and use knob 8, which is mapped to drum select, to switch to a different drum, every single drum that I select with the knob gets their respective parameters updated to match that first drum. For example, make some parameter changes to BD1, then use knob 8 to switch to PERC2. In doing so, every single drum is updated to match BD1. If I do NOT use the knob and click the interface, this does not happen and the plugin works as it should. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Hi guys,

Love the plugin, but this is a pain at the moment. Any word on this being addressed in a future update? Also, any way of adding individual automation capability per module? Trying to automate the envelopes of each sound individually is not possible right now.

WA, please let us know if this is something you’re possibly working on.

Thanks again and great job!
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is possible in Evolution, and we will try and make this possible in Revolution eventually too

Quote:
To those who had older questions about Revolution, lots of these things will be fixed in a 1.5 update later this year, plus many more features. I believe I have responded to most of you via e-mail support, but if not, feel free to e-mail us through our web form and we'd be happy to help and take on board your suggestions for future development, as always

Later this year is a long time when posted on 3rd january.

I hope you dont think i am too impatient when i ask how far we are away still.
Old 27th May 2018
RTG
Gear Maniac

I bought it. Still coming to terms with Kontakt as I have never had the need or inclination to use it in the past. As a Mac user, I opted for the AU instrument and found nothing triggered the Revolution sounds from the midi in my DAW. Hours wasted trying to make that work. Finally used the VST 16 option and it worked for some reason. Still barely understand it and none of the Youtube links provided on my welcome email got me functional. Is a manual too much to ask?

I am sure other people can get around it easily. But this simply doesn't follow the logic I have developed using plugins such as EZ Drummer etc. Feels very cumbersome and all this loading time makes me feel like I am back in the 90's. I will persist, but I feel very annoyed there isn't much literature for a first time user of Kontakt/Revolution.
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

I haven't bought it yet (waiting for Kontakt first), but I too would like to run it as an AU.

In fact, I run everything as AU in DP, so if there are any issues with the AU in Sierra or High Sierra, I'll have to miss out I'm afraid...
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

Its a very cool plugin!

I bought it almost a year ago; it sounds great.
Since I'm not a kontakt user and I have an analog rytm now, I am willing to sell my license for a good price! just PM me.

Cheers!
Old 14th July 2018
Gear Head
I just bought Revolution, but for the life of me I can't find where to adjust the BPM. I've searched the manual for Tempo, BPM, Beats Per Minute, speed, you name it.

I see I can change between 1/4 and 1/16 stuff like that, but where is the BPM adjustment???
Old 14th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClefHanger View Post
I just bought Revolution... where is the BPM adjustment???
either the one in Kontakt, or your DAW if run as a plug-in?
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClefHanger View Post
I just bought Revolution, but for the life of me I can't find where to adjust the BPM. I've searched the manual for Tempo, BPM, Beats Per Minute, speed, you name it.

I see I can change between 1/4 and 1/16 stuff like that, but where is the BPM adjustment???
Clef , this is a kontakt instrument witch means , if you run kontakt in standalone mode (outside your daw) you adjust the Kontakt Bpm witch will impact all the instruments opened in it

For daw use , it will be slaved as default to you host tempo unless you don t want it to be .
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Clef , this is a kontakt instrument witch means , if you run kontakt in standalone mode (outside your daw) you adjust the Kontakt Bpm witch will impact all the instruments opened in it

For daw use , it will be slaved as default to you host tempo unless you don t want it to be .
Thanks man I figured that out eventually.

Now I am trying to route the bass drum to a separate track so I can sidechain it and I can't figure this out! I have followed the instructions on here for setting up Revolution with 16 separate outs but how do I get the bass drum on it's own separate out???

Everything just plays through the main channel.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Really want a Simmons expansion pack for Revolution....
When adding new drum machines there are many interesting ones to consider:

Linn LM1 and 9000
Roland R8 mk 2
Boss DR660
Yamaha RY30 and RX5
Kawai R100
Akai MPC60
Movement MCD Drum Computer
Casio RZ1
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Maniac

There are still some things I don't understand.

You have some knobs that seems to do nothing to the sound.

For example, take the 606 BD. In 'master' character. You have the first knob as 'sample'. I can turn it and I don't hear a difference. For some 'characters' there is an 'Accent' button in the first place. Seems also to do nothing too.

Does anyone understand this system?

Also...you have wrong info texts. When you're over some of this buttons with the mouse, you see an info text at the bottom of Kontakt.

'Analog Control 1 - Controls the First Analog Parameter of the Drum Voice"

Would be nice when there would be an actual info what the parameter does. Because in these other modes it's clearly often NOT the first analog parameter.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
When adding new drum machines there are many interesting ones to consider...
UVI 'BeatBox Anthology 2' has most of those covered, along with the digital drum machines that are in 'Revolution'.
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Head
Anyone doing big synthwave sounding drums with Revolution?
Old 20th December 2018
RTG
Gear Maniac

I regret the purchase of this. I blame myself mostly for not fully understanding Kontakt. But I seriously doubt Revolution needs to be so cumbersome.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I regret the purchase of this. I blame myself mostly for not fully understanding Kontakt. But I seriously doubt Revolution needs to be so cumbersome.
Don't feel too bad. I have tons of experience with Kontakt and I own transistor revolution for years now and never use it. It's the most cumbersome thing out there and a creativity killer. I use any 808/909 samples or vsts before I reach for it.

I want to drop it in, open a 909 or 808 and hit some keys and start recording drums and it just doesn't work that way. Actually, I have no idea how it works because I managed to get sound out of it once and haven't been able to again. I just wrote it off as a waste of a purchase.

But it's also why I avoided Revolution when it came out. I figured it's every bit as a confusing mess as transistor revolution is.

I'm sure somewhere it's awesome and you can program patterns and all kinds of fun stuff, but for loading it in and wanting to hit record and start playing drum beats on your keyboard? Yeah, that's not what it's for.
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Is anyone else having problems with Revolution? I have loads of Kontakt libraries, this is the only one creating problems. Very slow to load and to work with, the spinning beachball all the time, even when doing something as simple as increasing the reverb send. I have a Quad Core MacMini with 16GB or RAM and 2 SSD drives.

I've stopped using Revolution, it slows down my workflow. Even when starting Logic Pro with just one instance of Revolution is slow as molasses.
Old 26th December 2018
Gear Head
Can the encoders in Push 2 work with Revolution?

I tried to MIDI map the Pitch knob, for example, to one of my rotary encoders on Push 2 and it just glitches from the lowest setting to the highest, like an ON/OFF switch. If I map to my Akai MPK Mini II, the map works perfectly.

Any ideas? ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search