The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Official Unofficial Monotribe Resources Thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 1st May 2017
  #31
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Has anyone fabbed up a DIY MIDI OUT for the Monotribe?
If so, where do you get the +5V as indicated in this schematic
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gameboygenius/6039056736/

This shows the MIDI out wiring, something I do not need
I want to build a CV to MIDI converter. MS20>Monotribe> Per4MER
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gameboygenius/6034837003/

Thanks
Not sure why it wasn't posted earlier in the thread with my other stuff

I have a MIDI I/O on stripboard layout here:

From the desk of DANTONE / WAC (Wiley Audio Corporation)
Old 1st May 2017
  #32
Deleted User
Guest
Thanks for the info. Need to scare up a 100omh resistor and a Midi jack
(I am only building the MIDI OUT)
Maybe I'll take it out of the Timbre Wolf (just kidding!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Not sure why it wasn't posted earlier in the thread with my other stuff

I have a MIDI I/O on stripboard layout here:

From the desk of DANTONE / WAC (Wiley Audio Corporation)
Old 3rd June 2017
  #33
Deleted User
Guest
3 Monotribes meet Timbre Wolf.


Old 16th June 2017
  #34
Deleted User
Guest
This is fairly comprehensive from cable type to setup of you monotribe on a v/octave synth.
Interesting, he says the glide does not transmit from the microbrute to the monotribe.
On both my MS-20 and CS-40m (Hz/V) it transmits the glide via CV

and I think I saw a TB-303 to MT video where the glide is imparted as well.


The 303 vid....


Last edited by Zaphod Betamax; 16th June 2017 at 03:21 PM..
Old 16th June 2017
  #35
Deleted User
Guest
Monotribe gap! I only have 4. lol


Last edited by Zaphod Betamax; 21st June 2017 at 09:24 PM..
Old 17th June 2017
  #36
Deleted User
Guest
3 Monotribes and an MS-20kit gang up on a Blofeld keyboard.

https://www.orfium.com/track/570070/...ld-markpigott/
Old 21st June 2017
  #37
Deleted User
Guest
Monotribe | Filipe-Teixeira.com
and knock..knock, any life out there in Monotribe land?
Old 8th August 2017
  #38
Gear Head
 

I apologize if this is not the appropriate thread to post this, but I figured you guys are the experts. I am experiencing a technical issue with the Monotribe that is making it sound a little circuit bent, although I have done no modifications to the unit.


Testing environment: Single note held down on ribbon controller, latest firmware, cutoff wide open, peak all the way down, no ext. audio input, LFO set to VCF only, LFO rate and INT all the way down, VCO switch set to key (although I've tried all the others as well). I've even tried it in CV/Gate mode as well (to eliminate the ribbon controller as the issues) with similar results.

Symptoms: The VCO pitch is not steady. Tends to climb upwards, but is overall just very wobbly and unpredictable. Everything else is working just fine (Sequencer, rhythm section, white noise, filter, LFO, etc.)


I've opened up the unit, and I did not see anything that looked out of the ordinary (although to be fair, I wasn't sure exactly what I should be looking for outside of burnt or discolored sections).

One thought: I do have a possible *whoops* event that could have caused this, but I'm not entirely sure. I have successfully run the Monotribe as a 2nd VCO to my MicroBrute via CV/Gate mode. It is possible that one time I accidentally flipped the CV/Gate cables - i.e. 10V of Gate signal into the sync-in/pitch of the Monotribe. Could that have fried something, and if so, what!?

Most repair places have told me that they won't touch my unit because the way it is built makes it difficult to repair.

ANY suggestions or insight would be highly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 8th August 2017
  #39
Deleted User
Guest
Hmm, I did the same thing when I punched in a trigger 10V from a drum machine but I had it in the CV mode.

I kept on doing to GATE SNR switch /save mode, save
and it eventually fixed itself. Try it, but my f***up might have yielded
different results.




Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBru View Post
I apologize if this is not the appropriate thread to post this, but I figured you guys are the experts. I am experiencing a technical issue with the Monotribe that is making it sound a little circuit bent, although I have done no modifications to the unit.


Testing environment: Single note held down on ribbon controller, latest firmware, cutoff wide open, peak all the way down, no ext. audio input, LFO set to VCF only, LFO rate and INT all the way down, VCO switch set to key (although I've tried all the others as well). I've even tried it in CV/Gate mode as well (to eliminate the ribbon controller as the issues) with similar results.

Symptoms: The VCO pitch is not steady. Tends to climb upwards, but is overall just very wobbly and unpredictable. Everything else is working just fine (Sequencer, rhythm section, white noise, filter, LFO, etc.)


I've opened up the unit, and I did not see anything that looked out of the ordinary (although to be fair, I wasn't sure exactly what I should be looking for outside of burnt or discolored sections).

One thought: I do have a possible *whoops* event that could have caused this, but I'm not entirely sure. I have successfully run the Monotribe as a 2nd VCO to my MicroBrute via CV/Gate mode. It is possible that one time I accidentally flipped the CV/Gate cables - i.e. 10V of Gate signal into the sync-in/pitch of the Monotribe. Could that have fried something, and if so, what!?

Most repair places have told me that they won't touch my unit because the way it is built makes it difficult to repair.

ANY suggestions or insight would be highly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 8th August 2017
  #40
Deleted User
Guest
POOR MANS JMJ NOISE SWEEP ON a Monotribe.

Osc Type: doesn't matter
Osc Octave: doesn't matter
Keyboard switch: Set to Wide

filter cutoff: about half
filter res: about half

LFO set to triangle, RATE slowest setting
LFO Speed switch set to Slow
LFO target set to VCF only
LFO amount, about half
VCA set to GATE

NOISE set full
Patch Volume, to taste
DRUMS volume OFF


Turn on flux, record, play
hold lowest note on ribbon until you have recorded all 8 bars.
As on wide mode the note is subsonic, all you can hear is noise.

EXPERIMENT
Old 9th August 2017
  #41
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Hmm, I did the same thing when I punched in a trigger 10V from a drum machine but I had it in the CV mode.

I kept on doing to GATE SNR switch /save mode, save
and it eventually fixed itself. Try it, but my f***up might have yielded
different results.
Would you mind running that by me again what steps you repeated for it to eventually fix itself?

So get this... Yesterday, actually the lower 4 octaves were working OKAY. The upper ones still were all over the place. I took it into GATE/SNR mode, hit play a couple times (with no CV input), saved that, went back, turned off CV/Gate mode. And now ALL octaves are acting up again. Very strange, but does kind of indicate to me that there is something with the CV/Gate. I would try and just properly retune it to 1V/Oct, but I literally have no idea which cable is Gate versus CV and the only Analogue CV/Gate out I have is MicroBrute (i.e. I'm scared to fry it with the 10V again).
Old 9th August 2017
  #42
Deleted User
Guest
With plug and tip facing left

On the T-R-R-S plug the order is tip=gate, ring 1 is blank ring 2 is CV and sleeve is ground.

What you dd with Power Up, Hold Gate/Snare, PRESS STEP 1, Save with record, power down, power up repeat, is exactly what I did.

Did you do the note alignment afterwards?
(I always align lowest C, next C up on my MS-20kit)
It is Hz/V, but this shouldn't matter.

On GATE/SNR setup it should be STEP1 on (CV enable) STEP 2 OFF, V/octave, STEP 3 OFF (V_trig)
On mine it is STEP 1,2,3 all on (CV, Hz, S trig)


Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBru View Post
Would you mind running that by me again what steps you repeated for it to eventually fix itself?

So get this... Yesterday, actually the lower 4 octaves were working OKAY. The upper ones still were all over the place. I took it into GATE/SNR mode, hit play a couple times (with no CV input), saved that, went back, turned off CV/Gate mode. And now ALL octaves are acting up again. Very strange, but does kind of indicate to me that there is something with the CV/Gate. I would try and just properly retune it to 1V/Oct, but I literally have no idea which cable is Gate versus CV and the only Analogue CV/Gate out I have is MicroBrute (i.e. I'm scared to fry it with the 10V again).

Last edited by Zaphod Betamax; 9th August 2017 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: added stuff..
Old 10th August 2017
  #43
Deleted User
Guest
any luck @AustinBru?
Old 11th August 2017
  #44
Gear Head
 

No luck :\ and the results keep changing. I think something is seriously wrong with the VCO. Not that I can't still get good sounds out of this box, but it's terribly disappointing to not be able to predict the results of the VCO lmao.

I should post a video for you to see just how wild it's acting.
Old 11th August 2017
  #45
Old 12th August 2017
  #46
Deleted User
Guest
No, it should not do that!
With all modulations off, and set to WIDE a sweep from low note to high note
should go about the audio range.

No luck with CV control?
Sounds like the control voltage inside has been damaged.
I am not sure if there is a Monotribe expert-doctor here on the good ship GS!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBru View Post
As promised:
Old 12th August 2017
  #47
Deleted User
Guest
Here's a 4 Monotribe Blues Jam Doodle.

Starts up with stand-alone Monotribe with drums and glitch noise percussion.
Add in the 3 other MTs played via an MS-20xx via CV/S-trig (MS-20xx sound is at 0)

Backed up by monophonic Blofeld patch based on a Sledge tutorial #58 by George Hall.

No effects used
3:1 compression in Audacity
Attached Files

4 Monotribe Blues Doodle.mp3 (11.37 MB, 680 views)

Old 12th August 2017
  #48
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Here's a 4 Monotribe Blues Jam Doodle.

Starts up with stand-alone Monotribe with drums and glitch noise percussion.
Add in the 3 other MTs played via an MS-20xx via CV/S-trig (MS-20xx sound is at 0)

Backed up by monophonic Blofeld patch based on a Sledge tutorial #58 by George Hall.

No effects used
3:1 compression in Audacity
That was really good. Inspiring actually. I wish I could do synth arrangements as good as that!
Old 12th August 2017
  #49
Deleted User
Guest
Thanks!
I just discovered the round-robin multi MT drums here last night...


This means I need more Monotribes because at present three are tied to the
MS-20xx and only one is dedicated to drums.

Had no idea about GLOBAL-Button 8...until NOW.

The MT rocks!




Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
That was really good. Inspiring actually. I wish I could do synth arrangements as good as that!
Old 12th August 2017
  #50
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Just noticed the price is going up on these now... kind of a bummer
Old 12th August 2017
  #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Just noticed the price is going up on these now... kind of a bummer
I would expect prices to only go up for the foreseeable future. It wasn't in production very long and it has garnered a cult following.
Old 14th August 2017
  #52
Deleted User
Guest
4 Monotribes and 1 MS-20xx all together.
Based loosely on Being Boiled Alive from the 70s.
Attached Files

monotribe religion.mp3 (10.81 MB, 621 views)

Old 15th August 2017
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Thanks!
I just discovered the round-robin multi MT drums here last night...


This means I need more Monotribes because at present three are tied to the
MS-20xx and only one is dedicated to drums.

Had no idea about GLOBAL-Button 8...until NOW.

The MT rocks!
Now I need a second one, at least.
Old 15th August 2017
  #54
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
@Zaphod Betamax thanks for posting that I really enjoyed it. Especially the octave/ stereo stuff going on, real ear candy. Great sound design. The filter sweeps are epic also.
Old 15th August 2017
  #55
Deleted User
Guest
Thanks for the kind words.
Should also add it was recorded live, no overdubs, no effects
(the way I gauge a synths true soul is totally dry and sober in the mix)

The jam starts up with my utility monotribe no.4, which is not hooked up to
CV but its tempo is tied to one of the 3 other Monotribes that are CV/S-triggered by the MS-20xx (set to MK2 filter).

So the 3rd MT has the drums and controls the tempo of that "Welcome to the Machine"esque noise pulse on no.4.

The 3rd MT is set to freerun triangle LFO at 16' triangle VCO, with Gate time set to mid on the ribbon.

no 1 is set 32' saw, and no2 is set 64' square, both slowest triangle ONE-SHOT LFO. No gate time on 1 or 2.
1,2,and 3, 4 are all set to Record/sequence mode.

At the end of the piece I use ACTIVE STEP to fade the 1,2,3 monotribes
and the drums manually with its control, ending with the utility monotribe no.4 and the noise pulse.





Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
@Zaphod Betamax thanks for posting that I really enjoyed it. Especially the octave/ stereo stuff going on, real ear candy. Great sound design. The filter sweeps are epic also.
Old 15th August 2017
  #56
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
No, it should not do that!
With all modulations off, and set to WIDE a sweep from low note to high note
should go about the audio range.

No luck with CV control?
Sounds like the control voltage inside has been damaged.
I am not sure if there is a Monotribe expert-doctor here on the good ship GS!


[/YOUTUBE]
No luck with CV control - the response is identical to the ribbon controller.

IS THERE A MT DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE!? I need a diagnosis - STAT!

This synth was my first... and my only MT
Old 16th August 2017
  #57
Deleted User
Guest
Old 16th August 2017
  #58
Gear Head
 

Thanks... It's not a misunderstanding in how to set CV/Gate mode. Before I ran into this VCO pitch issue, I had the CV/Gate running perfectly fine.

Even now, I think it is operating as intended, except that the pitch is all over the place (similar to my YouTube video).
Old 16th August 2017
  #59
Deleted User
Guest
Actually this was just a resource for others, and not related to your issue.
Was just happenstance that I was scouring for MT tricks and tips.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBru View Post
Thanks... It's not a misunderstanding in how to set CV/Gate mode. Before I ran into this VCO pitch issue, I had the CV/Gate running perfectly fine.

Even now, I think it is operating as intended, except that the pitch is all over the place (similar to my YouTube video).
Old 16th August 2017
  #60
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Actually this was just a resource for others, and not related to your issue.
Was just happenstance that I was scouring for MT tricks and tips.
Gotcha, my bad! Good resource then
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump