The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live looping with Logic X
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Head

Live looping with Logic X

So I've been trying to find a solution for this for a while but to no avail.

Basically, I'm looking to use my midi keyboard (M Audio Axiom 49) and electric piano (Roland something) along with Logic X, and perform live looping on the fly, i.e with no click track. I need to be able to use the three pedals on the piano to start recording the loop then another to mark the end of the loop but continue recording, in order to layer additional instruments as I go.

I've tried using Sooperlooper but haven't had much luck. Would Mainstage be an option? I don't really want to learn another DAW like Ableton but if Mainstage has all the functionality that I use in Logic (3rd party AUs, automation of various parameters using the learn function to assign pots etc.) then I'd be happy to pay £20 in order to be able to do this!

Ideally, if I could just do it in Logic that would better since I know my way around but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Head
I think Ableton is your best bet to be honest. It's designed to do exactly what you are looking to do. I know you said you didn't want to learn a new DAW, but Ableton and Logic basics are pretty similar so i don't think you would be too out of your comfort zone. I know not the answer you anted, hopefully somebody else on here hows a few tricks.
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad Abstruse View Post
So I've been trying to find a solution for this for a while but to no avail.

Basically, I'm looking to use my midi keyboard (M Audio Axiom 49) and electric piano (Roland something) along with Logic X, and perform live looping on the fly, i.e with no click track. I need to be able to use the three pedals on the piano to start recording the loop then another to mark the end of the loop but continue recording, in order to layer additional instruments as I go.

I've tried using Sooperlooper but haven't had much luck. Would Mainstage be an option? I don't really want to learn another DAW like Ableton but if Mainstage has all the functionality that I use in Logic (3rd party AUs, automation of various parameters using the learn function to assign pots etc.) then I'd be happy to pay £20 in order to be able to do this!

Ideally, if I could just do it in Logic that would better since I know my way around but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mainstage has a looper plugin included with it, it works well, very much the same as the playback plug in. You insert it into an Instrument channel the same way you would in Logic. The mapping system is pretty good as well so assigning functions to your piano pedals would not be a problem. If you do not want to "learn" another Daw then you would feel more at home with Mainstage although Ableton is far more superior in functions.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search