The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Eventide H9000
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
At any given time, how many channels (either to and from the DAW *and* from analog/AES/SPDIF) can be processed? I take it that any combination is possible within the 4 FX chains, i.e. 4x8 I/O = 32 channels maximum, right?
I believe this is changing with the 1.1 software update to 32 I/O per FX chain. Here's the relevant section from the release notes:

Quote:
2.) Extended I/O capability - With the new 1.1 update, each FXChain is now capable of connecting up to 32 different channels of I/O per FX Chain which gives the H9000 a total of 128 channels of I/O possibilities.
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgssc View Post
I believe this is changing with the 1.1 software update to 32 I/O per FX chain. Here's the relevant section from the release notes:

2.) Extended I/O capability - With the new 1.1 update, each FXChain is now capable of connecting up to 32 different channels of I/O per FX Chain which gives the H9000 a total of 128 channels of I/O possibilities.
Looking good
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Nice
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Man this thing is a beast on paper.

I wish I could demo it for a week or two.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Head

1.1 software

I noticed this morning that there is a production release of the H9000 software, version 1.1.5. Also available is the Emote software 1.1.5 for Mac and Windows at eventide.com. I can't say with 100% certainty that the H9000 update is public since I am part of the beta, but it is marked as a Production release. To my eyes, no noticeable changes from the 1.1.4 beta.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I noticed this morning that there is a production release of the H9000 software, version 1.1.5. Also available is the Emote software 1.1.5 for Mac and Windows at eventide.com. I can't say with 100% certainty that the H9000 update is public since I am part of the beta, but it is marked as a Production release. To my eyes, no noticeable changes from the 1.1.4 beta.
Can I just confirm something? Am I correct in saying that despite having lots of inputs and outputs and being 8x more powerful than the h8000fw I've already got, you can only have 4 different effect groups? Or is that groups can only have 4 combined effects? To put it another way can I have 8 stereo tracks each with a different single effect?
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroWho View Post
Can I just confirm something? Am I correct in saying that despite having lots of inputs and outputs and being 8x more powerful than the h8000fw I've already got, you can only have 4 different effect groups? Or is that groups can only have 4 combined effects? To put it another way can I have 8 stereo tracks each with a different single effect?
I think, in theory you could have 16 unique algos each receiving 8 mono channels of audio from the various audio interfaces, analog, digital, etc..

An FX Chain is currently max 4 algos and they could be in series or parallel
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
The layering is like this:

1) You can have one Session open at a time
2) Each Session can have up to 4 FX Chains plus direct I/O routing
3) Each FX Chain can have up to 4 Algorithms that are running in series (connected to each other), Parallel (side by side but independent) or any combination of Series/Parallel
4) Algorithms can have multiple Inputs and/or Outputs (depends on the algorithm), up to 8x8 (that's the largest I've seen)

With the latest software, each FX Chain can have up to 32 inputs and 32 outputs. So, at the limit, you could have 16 instances of an Algorithm that has 8 mono compressors. Doing the math, that is 128 separate, mono inputs and 128 mono outputs. You would have to max out the 3 expansion cards (Dante and/or MADI) plus use all of the built-in I/O to pull that off.

Now you won't actually do that, but it shows off how much power the thing has. In practice, you could easily have 16 independent stereo reverbs, or some complicated FX Chains, or whatever. The only real limitation is that you can't route audio from one FX Chain to another (although you could patch this external to the H9000). The 4 FX Chains map to the 4 physical DSP cards inside the unit, so that's the underlying technical reason why you can't route across FX Chains (currently).

Hope this helps ...
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The layering is like this:

1) You can have one Session open at a time
2) Each Session can have up to 4 FX Chains plus direct I/O routing
3) Each FX Chain can have up to 4 Algorithms that are running in series (connected to each other), Parallel (side by side but independent) or any combination of Series/Parallel
4) Algorithms can have multiple Inputs and/or Outputs (depends on the algorithm), up to 8x8 (that's the largest I've seen)

With the latest software, each FX Chain can have up to 32 inputs and 32 outputs. So, at the limit, you could have 16 instances of an Algorithm that has 8 mono compressors. Doing the math, that is 128 separate, mono inputs and 128 mono outputs. You would have to max out the 3 expansion cards (Dante and/or MADI) plus use all of the built-in I/O to pull that off.

Now you won't actually do that, but it shows off how much power the thing has. In practice, you could easily have 16 independent stereo reverbs, or some complicated FX Chains, or whatever. The only real limitation is that you can't route audio from one FX Chain to another (although you could patch this external to the H9000). The 4 FX Chains map to the 4 physical DSP cards inside the unit, so that's the underlying technical reason why you can't route across FX Chains (currently).

Hope this helps ...
Thanks for taking the time to answer. It helps hugely from a technical understanding point of view and not at all from a resisting purchase perspective!
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer. It helps hugely from a technical understanding point of view and not at all from a resisting purchase perspective!
Tell me about it. Once I truly understood what was possible with the H9000 architecture, it became more than just an effects box for me. Personally, I could not resist the purchase. With the expansion cards, I can use the box as a direct I/O bridge between MADI and Dante for any number of channels (up to the 24 I have), and use the remainder of my MADI I/O for additional effects sends/returns. I measured the additional latency for the MADI/Dante routes vs direct attached Dante I/O, and it was something absurdly low like 10 extra samples at 48KHz. I can live with that!
Old 28th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Tell me about it. Once I truly understood what was possible with the H9000 architecture, it became more than just an effects box for me. Personally, I could not resist the purchase. With the expansion cards, I can use the box as a direct I/O bridge between MADI and Dante for any number of channels (up to the 24 I have), and use the remainder of my MADI I/O for additional effects sends/returns. I measured the additional latency for the MADI/Dante routes vs direct attached Dante I/O, and it was something absurdly low like 10 extra samples at 48KHz. I can live with that!
Bonkers! It's a flexible unit for sure, impressive IO, especially with the cards, elements of Kyma and good and improving integration.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

In the 1.1.5 prod release, there's a new algorithm, no. 917, "Distortion Preamp"
It's from the eclipse and provides the simulated feedback function you can assign to a pedal...happy to see it's arrival on the H9000
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Just starting my research on this. Considering the H9000R for the value, but a bit scared about future support for a box with no controls.

Anyone using the R yet? Opinions on the importance of the front panel controls?
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Just starting my research on this. Considering the H9000R for the value, but a bit scared about future support for a box with no controls.

Anyone using the R yet? Opinions on the importance of the front panel controls?
Dude, we could be twins. I've only recently started more involved research into this. Was considering the R but the same, a little nervous about a box with no controls, although if the plug is as developed as it looks, I'd rather use that than the front controls even if I had the regular H9000.

Has the fully functional emote plug been released for Windows yet? I'm on win 7.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, the emote for Windows is now out.

When the heck are the H9000Rs going to be in stores? Come on...
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Dude, we could be twins. I've only recently started more involved research into this. Was considering the R but the same, a little nervous about a box with no controls, although if the plug is as developed as it looks, I'd rather use that than the front controls even if I had the regular H9000.

Has the fully functional emote plug been released for Windows yet? I'm on win 7.
I had the same thought and went h9000. The small possibility of a hugely expensive effects processor that no longer worked due to lack of OS support was simply not worth the saving. Even if not relevant now it might well be when I come to sell it (if that ever happens!).
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had the same thought and went h9000. The small possibility of a hugely expensive effects processor that no longer worked due to lack of OS support was simply not worth the saving. Even if not relevant now it might well be when I come to sell it (if that ever happens!).
I hear you - it definitely is a concern, especially since they haven't released a eve net type remote for it, which would take over in the event the plug doesn't work anymore. I really had hoped they would release one, that'd be nice.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Currently I use my H9000 with the screen set to dim quickly so it's essentially off

Emote is really good at controlling the box and rarely have need to interact with the box front panel.

I've considered that a time could come (hopefully 20 years down the line!!) when the the plugin or emote won't work on latest OS. Could then use a VM which would be fine - I've run Window Emote this way.

The bigger issue after that is not having DAW automation from the plugin but would still have midi control so there are options
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I hear you - it definitely is a concern, especially since they haven't released a eve net type remote for it, which would take over in the event the plug doesn't work anymore. I really had hoped they would release one, that'd be nice.
On their forums, they've been pretty firm that a hardware remote from them won't be forthcoming. They're sinking development effort for real into Emote for multiple platforms and also into VSig.

One thing I asked about which they *might* look into is using a full panel version to edit a blank panel one.

Worst case is that the software is eventually not supported and either you keep an old tablet/laptop around for editing or buy a full panel version and just dump patches to the R version.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

A separate full front panel should be an upgrade option.
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

FYI fellow H9000 owners

There's an update for H9000 that adds support for Vsig 3 and is in Public Beta
Vsig 3 supports Mac and Windows - see the link below

https://www.eventideaudio.com/commun...#comment-36327

In my experience it's stable and working well - you can read Algos from the H9000 as well, modify and upload back to the hardware - I've used it to add a trigger to an LFO which I triggered in my DAW to sync things up nicely and also building my own Algos
You can hear an example, that's only one of the possibilities
Attached Thumbnails
Eventide H9000-screen-shot-2019-07-21-14.58.49.jpg  
Attached Files

ProjectExample.m4a (1.67 MB, 499 views)

Old 21st July 2019
bax
Gear Nut

@ macgee - I saw this news the other day, and haven't been able to find any kind of confirmation one way or another (so I'm guessing "no") but do you have any idea if this 3.0 version is currently or will ever be compatible with any of the older VSIG-capable units (DSP4000/7000, Orville, H7600/8000)?

I sure wish I was also an owner of an H9000 so I could just download and test that out myself on my DSP7000, but unfortunately that's not in the cards just yet...

Thanks!
bax
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Head

Hey guys, can you confirm if the new Emote version of the H9000 has a mixer module to MIX audio sources and outputs within the FX Chains??
All I can see from videos online are hard-wired connections but it must be a better way to mix on the emote right??
Cheers,
p.
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
@ macgee - I saw this news the other day, and haven't been able to find any kind of confirmation one way or another (so I'm guessing "no") but do you have any idea if this 3.0 version is currently or will ever be compatible with any of the older VSIG-capable units (DSP4000/7000, Orville, H7600/8000)?

I sure wish I was also an owner of an H9000 so I could just download and test that out myself on my DSP7000, but unfortunately that's not in the cards just yet...

Thanks!
bax
Hey Bax, I believe it's not compatible with older versions.
Anyways, checking the App, you can load a database from a file so that could help but I don't see a way you could connect and send files to the older harmonisers Could ask in the Vsig forum to be sure
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea2003 View Post
Hey guys, can you confirm if the new Emote version of the H9000 has a mixer module to MIX audio sources and outputs within the FX Chains??
All I can see from videos online are hard-wired connections but it must be a better way to mix on the emote right??
Cheers,
p.
It's possible one of the algos can do that; I remember looking before but couldn't do exactly what I wanted to do - maybe it's there somewhere.
This however would be very easy to build in Vsig, and do pretty much whatever you wanted.

In Emote though, I'm pretty sure you can connect more than one source into a module so it can do a static mix - I believe I did this before.
I think mixing together FX Chains isn't available yet, quite possibly the next major release which shouldn't be too far away
Old 21st July 2019
bax
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgee View Post
Hey Bax, I believe it's not compatible with older versions.
Anyways, checking the App, you can load a database from a file so that could help but I don't see a way you could connect and send files to the older harmonisers Could ask in the Vsig forum to be sure
I kinda figured, but was holding out hope anyway...

I've been eyeing an Orville and maybe thinking of stretching to the H8000 but those are both complete overkill for a non-professional's rig. That said, I certainly can't honestly justify the $$$ for the H9000, but I'm holding out hope that a lesser-spec-ed unit might trickle down the line in a couple of years that might be a little more suitable (and affordable) for people who don't make a living off this stuff

I may eventually ask over at the Eventide forum; just lurking/keeping my eyes on that thread for now...

Thanks!
bax
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm holding out hope that a lesser-spec-ed unit might trickle down the line in a couple of years that might be a little more suitable (and affordable) for people who don't make a living off this stuff

bax
Same here.

The Eclipse has been in production for nearly 20 years and I can't help wondering whether some of the H9000 will make its way to other Eventide products before long.
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I kinda figured, but was holding out hope anyway...

I've been eyeing an Orville and maybe thinking of stretching to the H8000 but those are both complete overkill for a non-professional's rig. That said, I certainly can't honestly justify the $$$ for the H9000, but I'm holding out hope that a lesser-spec-ed unit might trickle down the line in a couple of years that might be a little more suitable (and affordable) for people who don't make a living off this stuff

I may eventually ask over at the Eventide forum; just lurking/keeping my eyes on that thread for now...

Thanks!
bax
I'm hoping they'll release a professional pedal'ish format that supports Vsig, etc..
Have you looked at the Empress Zoia; gonna pick one of those up eventually.
It's great to see that people aren't afraid to dig in and create stuff from scratch. The community is growing. Hopefully Eventide sees this and responds

They're updating the Zoia very frequently with new modules
https://empresseffects.com/products/zoia
Old 21st July 2019
bax
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
Same here.

The Eclipse has been in production for nearly 20 years and I can't help wondering whether some of the H9000 will make its way to other Eventide products before long.
Oh yeah, they should absolutely be leveraging all this effort in other places eventually. I'm hopeful that everything gets worked out with the H9000 as their new centralized platform and then they basically just scale down the horsepower/hardware but keep the *platform* the same. IMHO, I can't imagine anything else would make good business sense (at least from a development perspective).

The H9 is totally due for a successor (although I was completely and pleasantly shocked by Harmadillo showing up out of the blue) and it is high time for Eventide to take a page out of Line6's Helix book and bring their pedals under the same platform. I'm hoping they've already considered that and hopefully they've got something new in the pedal/floorboard space to start talking about, maybe Winter NAMM 2020???

That said, it would be really disappointing if they "hobble" (like they did with the Eclipse) any future products developed from the H9000 platform by not allowing for Emote and VSIG capabilities and I'd be extremely (read as "lost customer") upset if those capabilities didn't come (either as standard or as an option) with *every* unit big or small, especially given the segment of the market they occupy. Again, IMHO it would make total sense, especially if they can figure out how to develop on one master platform and then scale the horsepower and hardware to fit products specified for each market (high-end, mid-level, pedals).

I'll stop ranting now...
bax
Old 21st July 2019
bax
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgee View Post
I'm hoping they'll release a professional pedal'ish format that supports Vsig, etc..
Have you looked at the Empress Zoia; gonna pick one of those up eventually.
It's great to see that people aren't afraid to dig in and create stuff from scratch. The community is growing. Hopefully Eventide sees this and responds

They're updating the Zoia very frequently with new modules
https://empresseffects.com/products/zoia
My Zoia sits right next to my H9. Yeah, it's pretty sweet; Empress just recently added some cool granular stuff to it and they are just getting started. It really is a modular environment. No editor available or planned like VSIG, but for simpler stuff it is easy enough to keep track of visually.

I'd love to see them create a "Zoia MAX" as a 1-2U rack with more CPU/RAM/channels and additional higher-end Empress algos; I'd spend good money on that bad boy. Patchstorage has a very solid (and very growing) group of folks churning out really cool stuff for Zoia.

Eventide would be foolish not to see this, and also not to see where Line6 has gone with the Helix platform... I have hope...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search