The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Eventide H9000
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgee View Post
Would you mind doing a sample file with the H3000 sound?
If you could provide the unprocessed sample and the processed sample I would like to see if I can replicate it.
Any info on the parameters would be useful too.
Cheers

heres a few ..

Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did a couple example recordings..
These sound fantastic, outstanding quality, thanks for sharing.
The H3000 micropitch sounds like it has a bit extra going on, like reverb and delay?
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
These sound fantastic, outstanding quality, thanks for sharing.
The H3000 micropitch sounds like it has a bit extra going on, like reverb and delay?
The quality is incredible, I'm so impressed.
What kind of example of the micro pitch would you like to hear, I could do an example
The machine is very inspiring, got a load more song ideas and it's adding nice texture to the songs I'm currently working on. Going to be fun at mixing stage.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The quality is incredible, I'm so impressed.
What kind of example of the micro pitch would you like to hear, I could do an example
The machine is very inspiring, got a load more song ideas and it's adding nice texture to the songs I'm currently working on. Going to be fun at mixing stage.
When I get the chance, I’ll post a clip of the H3000 Microshift with some settings info.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Here's a little vocal clip, both dry and with H3000 Micropitchshift.
Micropitch works great on pretty much anything, but is commonly used on lead vocals. (there's a couple of little glitches on the original vocal, but it's mostly fine)

The settings:

Right channel: pitch -12 cents, delay 5ms, feedback 5%
Left channel: pitch +12 cents, delay 30ms, feedback 5%
Attached Files

Freddie dry.wav (4.47 MB, 1661 views)

Freddie Micropitch.wav (4.50 MB, 1715 views)

Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Micropitch works great on pretty much anything, but is commonly used on lead vocals. (there's a couple of little glitches on the original vocal, but it's mostly fine)

The settings:

Sorry I missed this
Great thanks, I'll test this out on the algo and share back here
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Harmonic Tremolo for H9K

I've developed my first algorithm on Vsig, a Harmonic Tremolo for anyone who wants to mess around with it.
Put on USB and you should be able to load to H9K

There's a parameter for everything, pre FX HP & LP filter then split in 2
a > HP Filter > Peaking Filter > Gain (phase flipped)
b > LP Filter > Peaking Filter > Gain
Modulation controls
Pick the waveform, freq, mod amount, Unidirectional or Bidirectional
You can also monitor the LFO, apply an offset so you slide the parallel LFO to be in or out of phase and finally makeup gain.

It's mono for the moment and tackling stereo next and as well as midi clock support with retrig, etc..

Any feedback welcome..

Pop a nice stereo reverb after and it'll give it a stereo vibe for the moment

the preset values work well with my strat but all you should need do is adjust the peak filters for the LP Signal and the HP Signals
LP Signal is currently suppressed around 300hz
HP signal is boosted gently around 720hz

Is it right? who knows!!!
Attached Files
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

The settings:

Hey brightside
I've been looking at this today. Will need a bit more info to test it.
First, the delay appears to be 30ms on the right so are the channels the wrong way round in settings?
Then what is the mix level and if there is the option, pan settings, splice length and the modulation settings?
Here's a screenshot of the parameters on H9K.
Attached Thumbnails
Eventide H9000-screen-shot-2019-03-03-16.35.52.jpg   Eventide H9000-screen-shot-2019-03-03-16.36.07.png   Eventide H9000-screen-shot-2019-03-03-16.35.39.jpg  
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey brightside
I've been looking at this today. Will need a bit more info to test it.
First, the delay appears to be 30ms on the right so are the channels the wrong way round in settings?
Then what is the mix level and if there is the option, pan settings, splice length and the modulation settings?
Here's a screenshot of the parameters on H9K.
Whoops, I re-cabled the studio last week and must have left/right cables backwards.
I have mine setup as a send with my mixer, so it is hard to judge the wet/dry mix. I’m guessing it’s roughly 50% though. That’s more than I’d usually use this effect on vocals, but I exaggerated it for demo purposes.
The H3000 doesn’t have all those extra parameters the 9000 has, it’s basically just the ones I listed.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

So does anyone use the H9000 as an audio interface? If so, how's the integration with various DAWs? I have two Fireface 800s and I would be interested in letting them go if the H9000 can take their place.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
So does anyone use the H9000 as an audio interface? If so, how's the integration with various DAWs? I have two Fireface 800s and I would be interested in letting them go if the H9000 can take their place.
When you say use as interface you mean connecting your speaker directly to the H9000 or to Controller?
I'm not using it as interface per se but more as outboard (USB & the stereo analog connections) along with UAD Apollo. The console on that is quite good which I find useful for routing the signals around. Doing that in the Emote alone might be a bit of a pain with the connections but statically routed it could be ok? I think one FX Chain slot could be used for all those connections as well as the usual FX Chain setup...haven't tried it though

I'd say regardless you could easily get rid of one Fireface then use H9000+ other Fireface in aggregate. Try using H9000 as main and see how you get on!
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you say use as interface you mean connecting your speaker directly to the H9000 or to Controller?
I'm not using it as interface per se but more as outboard (USB & the stereo analog connections) along with UAD Apollo. The console on that is quite good which I find useful for routing the signals around. Doing that in the Emote alone might be a bit of a pain with the connections but statically routed it could be ok? I think one FX Chain slot could be used for all those connections as well as the usual FX Chain setup...haven't tried it though

I'd say regardless you could easily get rid of one Fireface then use H9000+ other Fireface in aggregate. Try using H9000 as main and see how you get on!
With the multitude of I/O options that the H9000 offers I'd be interested in hooking directly to my DAW (maybe via Dante, but that's a BIG maybe) and connect all my equipment directly on the H9000. The thing is that I don't really trust Eventide's implementation unless I have solid proof that it works, because in the past same things happened with the H8000FW's Firewire capability. Yes, it is there but no, it doesn't work as it should and it could never replace a dedicated audio interface. So it was never the case that you could have 8 channels of awesome effects *while* the FW has been passing another x amount of channels to and from the DAW.

I was reading about the Dante protocol today and I found out that the computer needs to be connected to the Internet because at frequent intervals the DVS (Dante virtual soundcard) needs to communicate for validation purposes... Can anyone confirm that? If that's the case, I find it ridiculous..
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
With the multitude of I/O options that the H9000 offers I'd be interested in hooking directly to my DAW (maybe via Dante, but that's a BIG maybe) and connect all my equipment directly on the H9000. The thing is that I don't really trust Eventide's implementation unless I have solid proof that it works, because in the past same things happened with the H8000FW's Firewire capability. Yes, it is there but no, it doesn't work as it should and it could never replace a dedicated audio interface. So it was never the case that you could have 8 channels of awesome effects *while* the FW has been passing another x amount of channels to and from the DAW.

I was reading about the Dante protocol today and I found out that the computer needs to be connected to the Internet because at frequent intervals the DVS (Dante virtual soundcard) needs to communicate for validation purposes... Can anyone confirm that? If that's the case, I find it ridiculous..
Well the H9000 just uses core audio now so doesn't need specific drivers to work. It's available in the audio midi window, you can setup everything and in DAW you have 16 in and out. So it looks to me that Eventide did this right.
Sorry i don't recall, did you have a 9000 or still thinking about it?

Sorry I'm not familiar about Dante
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well the H9000 just uses core audio now so doesn't need specific drivers to work. It's available in the audio midi window, you can setup everything and in DAW you have 16 in and out. So it looks to me that Eventide did this right.
Sorry i don't recall, did you have a 9000 or still thinking about it?

Sorry I'm not familiar about Dante
Hi,

do you connect your H9000 directly via USB to the computer?

I have the H8000FW and I want the H9000 as well. Yeah I know...

On a different topic... I'm wondering what the third add-on card will be... Maybe one with analog I/Os and preamps?
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

On a different topic... I'm wondering what the third add-on card will be... Maybe one with analog I/Os and preamps?
I do depending on which song I'm working.
I started my album at 96K so if I do then the H9K needs to run at 96k and then I lose a bunch of algorithms so I just run in analog mode

So all newer songs I'm switching to 48k so I can run in DAW mode, not lose algorithms and be more efficient on UAD resources..

Pity about the 96K issue but I've started to think that perhaps 96k isn't really necessary anyways...but that's another story!
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Head

I was pleasantly surprised to find that many "non-96k" presets DO work at 96k--you just have to try them. A tech at Eventide told me that if an algo uses over one core, you get the 96k pop-up warning, but try it--it can still work and sound normal. It is more likely to work if the other algos in your fx chain are easier on their computer power use. Fx chains that don't contain a "non-96k" algo are not affected by another fx chain that does.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for that input @ brysava , that's interesting, I'll look into that..
Cheers
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whoops, I re-cabled the studio last week and must have left/right cables backwards.
I have mine setup as a send with my mixer, so it is hard to judge the wet/dry mix. I’m guessing it’s roughly 50% though. That’s more than I’d usually use this effect on vocals, but I exaggerated it for demo purposes.
The H3000 doesn’t have all those extra parameters the 9000 has, it’s basically just the ones I listed.

Here's a couple examples - I didn't find the new H3000 didn't work in this way so I think I used 6651 Midi St Micropitch (EDIT: it might have been 3053 Comp/Eq/Micro/Verb). Shows the importance of trying any algo with micropitch in it in case it's slightly different and "better"/"worse")

I exported both 50% Mix and 100% Mix, they're different compared to H3000

EDIT
Added TheBrightSide's orig files for easier comparison
Also worth adding that I actually had to increase the delay on the H9000 version to get it sounding closer..think it was 38ms vs 25 on H3000 version according to info from TheBrightSide
Attached Files

Micropitch-H9K Return-Mix 50%.m4a (434.1 KB, 910 views)

Micropitch-H9K Return-Mix 100%.m4a (428.5 KB, 909 views)

Freddie dry.m4a (343.2 KB, 792 views)

Freddie H3000 Micropitch.m4a (428.6 KB, 795 views)

Last edited by macgee; 15th March 2019 at 01:01 PM..
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Ourdarkness, I'll make a video (over the weekend or sooner) showing how the H9000 is available to Mac system in Audio Midi window.
I'll do a another to demonstrate how the emote interface works and how to make connections, etc.. essentially it's abilities and you can make up your mind from that if you could use it as your sole DAW interface
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a couple examples - I didn't find the new H3000 didn't work in this way so I think I used 6651 Midi St Micropitch

I exported both 50% Mix and 100% Mix, they're different compared to H3000
Great thanks for doing this.
The Micropitch on the 9000 sounds better than I expected.
I also have a DSP7000 which does micropitchshifting, but it sounds quite weak compared to the 3000.

I’ve been really impressed with H9000 examples you have posted. (I especially liked the tremolo samples from the VSig thread, fantastic)
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great thanks for doing this.
The Micropitch on the 9000 sounds better than I expected.
I also have a DSP7000 which does micropitchshifting, but it sounds quite weak compared to the 3000.

I’ve been really impressed with H9000 examples you have posted. (I especially liked the tremolo samples from the VSig thread, fantastic)
Yea I thought it sounded quite good, very smooth sounding if that's the vibe you're looking for but shouldn't be too hard to dirty it up a bit/

The thing with the H9000(probably previous ones too) is that there's tons of algorithms that claim the same function, micropitch this and that but with different parameters so seems they're not all made equal. Same is true for the Chorus and any other effects. I don't like several of the chorus on the H9000 but managed to find some gems in other algorithms. The Racks and Midi racks feature awesome algorithms which is where I think I found this one and some other gems. Many of the straight 'micropitch' algos didn't get it close enough

Glad you liked the Harmonic Trem - Still going to do more work on the filters to get a more analog vibe. Currently the slope is limited to 6dB on the Hi/LoPass and will add resonance control.
I'll share the algo when it's complete but unfortunately will only be for H9000 but if it comes out very well and people like it I will port to H8000
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The thing with the H9000(probably previous ones too) is that there's tons of algorithms that claim the same function, micropitch this and that but with different parameters so seems they're not all made equal. Same is true for the Chorus and any other effects. I don't like several of the chorus on the H9000 but managed to find some gems in other algorithms. The Racks and Midi racks feature awesome algorithms which is where I think I found this one and some other gems. Many of the straight 'micropitch' algos didn't get it close enough
The presets near the end of the list seem to be moved over from the H9 stompbox and there's some Eclipse presets in there too. Often on the right side of the screen they list where it came from and you have to remember H9 is not H9000/H9k.

IMHO they don't sound quite as nice as the stuff earlier in the numbering (which is a lot of the classic patches that have been moved forward from the earlier H3000/7600/8000 processors). I typically scroll around at the upper end to see what's new/different, but 99% of my starting points tend to be from the low-number presets.

The H8000 presets PDF file on the Eventide site gives you some good info about a lot of what's in the 9000.
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
The presets near the end of the list seem to be moved over from the H9 stompbox and there's some Eclipse presets in there too. Often on the right side of the screen they list where it came from and you have to remember H9 is not H9000/H9k.

IMHO they don't sound quite as nice as the stuff earlier in the numbering (which is a lot of the classic patches that have been moved forward from the earlier H3000/7600/8000 processors). I typically scroll around at the upper end to see what's new/different, but 99% of my starting points tend to be from the low-number presets.

The H8000 presets PDF file on the Eventide site gives you some good info about a lot of what's in the 9000.
I agree about the H9 algos vs H9000 algos. In saying that, I much prefer the sound of them on the H9000, e.g. the "H9 Spring" I find too resonant on H9 (even on lowest resonance) but it's smoother on H9000. The Strymon Blue Sky does it nicer on pedal (H9000 #4515 is great). Also some of the delays don't have enough tone control, like you either low shelf or high shelf but not both (at least I couldn't get it) and I like to adjust both. Strymon once again does this better imo but the H9000 just rocks in this way, no shortage of customisation

I didn't see any eclipse algos though? I really wish they would add the eclipse distortion feedback function - at least I haven't found it on H9000? Which reminded me and I've just requested that on their forum.
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Here you go OurDarkness
YouTube
A 'silent' video showing the use of a single FX Chain (there are 4) on the Eventide H9000 for integration with DAW. As part of aggregate device
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here you go OurDarkness
YouTube
A 'silent' video showing the use of a single FX Chain (there are 4) on the Eventide H9000 for integration with DAW. As part of aggregate device
Wow, thank you so much for this!

At 01:11 I have noticed that "drift correction" is checked. Did you notice any audio glitches when using an aggregate driver or was it just to be on the safe side?

At 01:45... On top of the screen you can see the label "Select physical inputs to be used by this chain". Inputs 5 and 6 are already used, so a tiny lock appears on them. Then inside this FX chain, there are 8 inputs and you connected physical inputs 5, 6 to FX chain inputs 1, 2 for the SP2016 reverb. The outputs of this FX goes to physical outputs 5, 6 as obvious at 01:54.

However I've noticed that there exist in total 4 x 8 I/O in that space and that for your chain you have used all those I/O for the 4 FX that you have inserted. Those appear to be in parallel (05:00). So:

a. Can you route audio from an FX chain to another internally?
b. You use USB to and from the DAW but in the Logic I/O window you have connected Analog inputs 5 and 6 to Analog outputs 5 and 6. Isn't there a feedback?
c. I have noticed an "Edit" button on the FX itself. What does it do? Does it open the "Parameters" tab so that you can edit them?

---

It seems that Eventide has finally managed to provide for a good integration but I have to say that they s7ck immensely at marketing it, since it would be a good selling point for them not only to mention it but also to prove it, like you did. Thank you very much for this, it was a very helpful video!

Other than that, things are taking shape for the H9000, albeit very slowly. On the one hand, I know that a transition from the Motorola to ARM must have been a huge undertaking (with all the glitches that this entails), on the other hand they need to get their act together with VSig and provide:

1. Lots of new modules
2. Lots of *good* algorithms which use those modules
3. Tight Windows and MacOS integration of VSig
4. Update the VSig aesthetics because it looks as if it's made with Netscape Navigator for Windows 95... Lol.. Not very important but still.

Last edited by OurDarkness; 11th March 2019 at 11:33 AM..
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

currently you cannot route audio internally from one FX chain to another. However, it has been mentioned/asked for on their forums and they said they'd add it to the stack of things to look at for the future.

You can edit the 9000 at different levels - setting up an entire session configuration, the I/O for an FX chain, and of course at the effects level itself. Typically you have a Replace box and an Edit box. Selecting replace brings up a list of effects to audition/plug into a slot. Edit brings up the parameters for that particular effect.

Last edited by oldgearguy; 11th March 2019 at 01:08 PM..
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
currently you cannot route audio internally form one FX chain to another. However, it has been mentioned/asked for on their forums and they said they'd add it to the stack of things to look at for the future.
That'd be great and maybe (if implemented properly) it would open up the way to construct monolithic algorithms. I am not sure if they'll be able to come up with an elegant solution to pass audio/control signals from one ARM processor to another inside the FX chains but let's see if they'll make it.

Still mourning the lack of preamps, though.. In my opinion it's the modular architecture (physical and virtual) of the Eventides which is a huge plus compared to other boxes out there. I have already asked at their forum, if they would consider to make an add-on card with analog I/O *and* preamps so that the user can freely select how to populate the empty slots.
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, thank you so much for this!

At 01:11 I have noticed that "drift correction" is checked. Did you notice any audio glitches when using an aggregate driver or was it just to be on the safe side?

At 01:45... On top of the screen you can see the label "Select physical inputs to be used by this chain". Inputs 5 and 6 are already used, so a tiny lock appears on them. Then inside this FX chain, there are 8 inputs and you connected physical inputs 5, 6 to FX chain inputs 1, 2 for the SP2016 reverb. The outputs of this FX goes to physical outputs 5, 6 as obvious at 01:54.

However I've noticed that there exist in total 4 x 8 I/O in that space and that for your chain you have used all those I/O for the 4 FX that you have inserted. Those appear to be in parallel (05:00). So:

a. Can you route audio from an FX chain to another internally?
b. You use USB to and from the DAW but in the Logic I/O window you have connected Analog inputs 5 and 6 to Analog outputs 5 and 6. Isn't there a feedback?
c. I have noticed an "Edit" button on the FX itself. What does it do? Does it open the "Parameters" tab so that you can edit them?

---

It seems that Eventide has finally managed to provide for a good integration but I have to say that they s7ck immensely at marketing it, since it would be a good selling point for them not only to mention it but also to prove it, like you did. Thank you very much for this, it was a very helpful video!

Other than that, things are taking shape for the H9000, albeit very slowly. On the one hand, I know that a transition from the Motorola to ARM must have been a huge undertaking (with all the glitches that this entails), on the other hand they need to get their act together with VSig and provide:

1. Lots of new modules
2. Lots of *good* algorithms which use those modules
3. Tight Windows and MacOS integration of VSig
4. Update the VSig aesthetics because it looks as if it's made with Netscape Navigator for Windows 95... Lol.. Not very important but still.
Hey no problem, we help each other right!
The drift correction was enabled by default so I left it. Haven't had any glitch type issues with the H9000 other than when clocking but I'm putting that to RCA SPDIF cables.
I'm not using it extensively within the DAW at present - I'm currently in song writing stage..
The ONLY issue experienced with the DAW integration was that a lot of level was lost doing the loop thru and back - I reported it, they replicated it and it will be fixed..it appears intermittent though.

Ok so if you look at 1:45, you will se that the In/Outs I'm selecting are for the 'USB' connectivity. I could then select SPDIF or Analog and then choose those sources too. I only showed the USB in this video but the others look no different. You could say have FX Chain 1 sourced from USB5 and FX Chain 2 from Analog1

I think the Logic I/O plugin confused this which is why I went into the I/O Labels later to rename it.
The default detection by Audio Midi and Logic labelled the H9K USB In/Outs as "Analog" but they are however the USB In/Outs with zero physical connection other than USB cable. Essentially, you can hook up the H9000 to the computer and use no other analog or digital connections and have amazing outboard processing

So those 4x8 I/O essentially give you 32 inputs to the FX Chain and 32 outputs from that FX Chain, e.g. 4 algos with 8 channel surround each for example

a. As oldgearguy said, not yet but there's been discussion about it and we need to keep raising and mentioning these things so they know how important it is
b. As mentioned before, this is how it was automatically labelled but they are actually the H9K USB DAW in/outs
c. Yea edit button takes you to edit an algorithm and in that window also select any presets IF it has any.
Let me know what you want to see more of and I can put up another vid.
I should probably add captions to that video on youtube to add clarity
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The default detection by Audio Midi and Logic labelled the H9K USB In/Outs as "Analog" but they are however the USB In/Outs with zero physical connection other than USB cable. Essentially, you can hook up the H9000 to the computer and use no other analog or digital connections and have amazing outboard processing

So those 4x8 I/O essentially give you 32 inputs to the FX Chain and 32 outputs from that FX Chain, e.g. 4 algos with 8 channel surround each for example
At any given time, how many channels (either to and from the DAW *and* from analog/AES/SPDIF) can be processed? I take it that any combination is possible within the 4 FX chains, i.e. 4x8 I/O = 32 channels maximum, right?
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
At any given time, how many channels (either to and from the DAW *and* from analog/AES/SPDIF) can be processed? I take it that any combination is possible within the 4 FX chains, i.e. 4x8 I/O = 32 channels maximum, right?
I'd say 32 minimum but I believe that more would actually be possible but I can't test it as I don't have those physical connections, expansion cards, etc..
I think maximum of 32 within 1 FX Chain but I'm not certain if you can do 32 as well in each other FX Chain!!
That would be a question to Eventide
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search