The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland Cloud Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th December 2016
Roland Cloud

Looks like Roland Cloud is going live with its early access beta. I'm under NDA so can't say anything, but they posted this public video tonight.

Old 6th December 2016
Gear Addict

... the next evolution of EDM
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

beta open to USA residents only. Also, you have to pay to be on the beta - $19.95/mo
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

If you're dubious like me, looks like you can cancel within 7 days to get a full refund so it's like having a fully operational demo for a week.

Early beta access is $20/month but they list cloud subscription (coming soon) at $30/month. That might be the regular monthly price.

Useful if you run a studio or do film/TV work and want access to a D50 plug-in, all Roland's plug-out synths, and a couple of sampled piano VSTs. You could justify this as a business expense. The price will weed out ragamuffins like me, so the community likely will be a good source for collaborators/networking.

I imagine you can freeze the streaming VSTs (as long as your subscription is active) so you don't have to be online to use them? I dunno. (EDIT: Just to be clear, I was just guessing about freezing VSTs. I don't have a subscription so I could be wrong about that). I'm not interested enough to try it out. Am curious about other people's experiences though, since this is the kind of thing I've seen coming for a few years now.

I'll never be in the rent-a-bunch-of-VSTs market but I'd be interested to know who is and how they're taking advantage of this.

Last edited by robotunes; 6th December 2016 at 09:38 AM..
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Addict

"Drops of Jupiter" might be a feature.
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

Not virtual instruments, but deep sampled for 30 dollars/Euros a month?!? I expected them to put all the plugout instruments and more for this price. There are cheaper ways to obtain samples of Roland synths. Maybe more coming?
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

No doubt more is coming. I imagine this beta phase is to work out the kinks before scaling up.
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

I feel the Roland ACB sampler is almost upon us.

Cheers
Old 6th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I feel the Roland ACB sampler is almost upon us.

Cheers
It will include a 1 year season pass or have a credit card slot for the microtransactions?
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

what a load of crap
who wants to pay a monthly subscription for a load of so called "trendy" sounds? (idiots thats who..)
the subscription model is completely stupid for music production

Last edited by RobJB06; 6th December 2016 at 01:39 PM..
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

'Full of artists just like you'

Well, you don't need me there then do you?
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear
haven't heard the word 'sound bank' in a while.
Old 6th December 2016
Chasing that sweet government bank bailout money.
Old 6th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Please don't layer acoustic piano and (rompler) strings...
Ever. Period.

I've been watching lots of stage piano demos (casio, nord, kurz) and this seems to be something people do. Well, don't do it. It's not right

Note: drowning the piano in reverb and choosing the rompler-est strings sounds just makes it worse
Roland Cloud. 500 Terabytes of Piano layered with Rompler Strings.
Old 6th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Not virtual instruments, but deep sampled for 30 dollars/Euros a month?!? I expected them to put all the plugout instruments and more for this price. There are cheaper ways to obtain samples of Roland synths. Maybe more coming?
I'm glad Roland has come around to deep sample technology. It's long been known that recording sounds on a submarine or underwater research station vastly improves their fidelity due to the shielding against solar and magnetic radiation that only several hundred meters of water can provide, but the average composer has never been able to take advantage of this before! I hope the new service includes a tool to convert my current 'shallow' sample library into an appropriately deep one!
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear
The beginning of the end
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

Does this mean a sampler is on the horizon, but you need the cloud?
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

The community aspects is what I'm most curious about but not much info on that yet.
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

Interesting !

So, does this mean Roland will have a new VST Sampler, where one can download sounds from the Roland Cloud via a subscription ?

I wonder if they will be focusing mainly on Synth sounds, or will expand this into acoustic emulations, including high-quality Orchestral Sounds ? Also wondering if the content is mostly developed by Roland, or will it be open to third-party sample library developers ?
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

Roland Rent-a-synth
Old 6th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
The beginning of the end

Just as I read this, one of my collegues in the studio decided to play The Doors - This is the end....

So you are probably right
Old 7th December 2016
"The Roland Cloud community is the destination for Composers, producers, and musicians of every genre and skill level will be have a voice in the largest connected community of artists on planet Earth."*

* - Roland Grammar Check(tm) not included with Roland Cloud
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'm guessing Roland will have a new VST sampler/sample player.

I also think the whole Roland Cloud is a very smart move from Roland. They realized that they can't just ignore the software part of the industry, and need to evolve into the software side.

They will have a big presence in the virtual / software music world, given that they were absent from, and imho. this is where we are heading as we move forward in time.

Hopefully Korg, Yamaha, Kurzweil, ...etc. , will be smart, and do something similar.
Old 7th December 2016
I can't wait for the day somebody powers on their Roland product and sees a message on their screen that says - All of you sound data has been encrypted. Pay XXX bitcoins to our account and we will give you the decrypt key
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Probably safer and more recoverable on a corporate cloud than my collection of Zip disks , cd's and external drives currently. Not against this but I likes me boxes
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

LOL

no seriously WTF

Roland why are taking advantage of the new comers? :(
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Haven't checked it out, but I imagine it's like Adobe Creative Cloud ...
Old 7th December 2016
Deleted User

....and random capitalization!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanclarke View Post
"The Roland Cloud community is the destination for Composers, producers, and musicians of every genre and skill level will be have a voice in the largest connected community of artists on planet Earth."*

* - Roland Grammar Check(tm) not included with Roland Cloud
Old 9th February 2017
Roland Cloud has introduced some new synths, and updated to 3.1:

- Anthology 1985 Volumes 1 and 2
- "GRIT", first in the FLAVR series

Not sure if 1985 is supposed to be the Alpha Junos. Each volume is 1GB+ and I'm downloading now. I think GRIT and the whole FLAVR series is supposed to be something entirely new,aimed at specific genres; in this case, "modern Bass House"

https://www.rolandcloud.com/news/3-1-release-is-live!
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Looks like there's more software on there called Tera Drums. Grit looks cheesy.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search