The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Cloud
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

My experience with the cloud in terms of reliability have been good. Only once was it unavailable and that was when they were switching over systems.

The synths are up there with the best plugins in terms of sound.

I’m certain the 800/990/8000 are on the radar. I just hope that patches load from the hardware into the plugins. I think the D50 one does but maybe not the 1080 (not sure).

Last edited by Soundsauca; 5 days ago at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
I would like Roland to share in the cloud:
1. S series sampler and legacy library (especially earlier 300 and 500 12 bit models). Possibility to use own samples and good GUI please.

2.Roland V-Drum engine.

Roland JD would be great, but only done right. I am afraid that plugin based on the existing JV&XV code would be to similar and without JD magic.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsauca View Post

I’m certain the 800/990/8000 are on the radar. I just hope that patches load from the hardware into the plugins. I think the D50 one does but maybe not the 1080 (not sure).

i'd be all over a cloud jp8000 as well. Got years of good patches on mine but the hardware is a bit janky (reminds me i need to clean it)

If they nail the filter, gain staging distortion & crunchy aliased(?) sound and have the ability to load patches i'll be impressed
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes the aliasing and imperfections are part of the character of older synths. Sure, analog snobs whimper about such things but those sounds need that dirt to cut through authentically.

Still, with Roland hiring the Don there’s always hope we can have our aliasing modelled
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes the aliasing and imperfections are part of the character of older synths. Sure, analog snobs whimper about such things but those sounds need that dirt to cut through authentically.

Still, with Roland hiring the Don there’s always hope we can have our aliasing modelled
not sure who the don is but he sounds important

Yeah everyone always mentioned the supersaw but I really like the plain saw into HPF and the delay, such a wonderfully digital sound
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Yeah everyone always mentioned the supersaw but I really like the plain saw into HPF and the delay, such a wonderfully digital sound
Agreed wrt the JP-8000. It's a wonderful synth. The filters also have quite a different character, very vocal-esque at times. Much more than a supersaw synth.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed wrt the JP-8000. It's a wonderful synth. The filters also have quite a different character, very vocal-esque at times. Much more than a supersaw synth.
and the ring mod mode with the filter was quite clever
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I keep coming in to this thread hoping they have brought out a JD800 or JD990, Vsynth etc, and its basically full of people bitching about the service (not dissing the people here, more an observation about said service)
Personally I find the service is great. I don’t love the Roland Cloud app but whatever, you install whatever you want and you’re done with it. The instruments are fantastic. I’ve been using it for a year and I haven’t had any issues with authorization etc.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Once we've migrated to the new log in system, is the Cloud app meant to be obsolete?

Mine just crashes now. Plugs work fine, though.

Haha.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Once we've migrated to the new log in system, is the Cloud app meant to be obsolete?

Haha.
No, you still use the same app. I’ve already migrated and it’s working fine. Try deleting the app and redownloading it.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post

Haha.
Sadly not, but maybe it will be made more efficient?

I've not had it crash (Mac), but it was still spewing errors into console last time I looked so I won't let it run at boot. Not a big deal really.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
I get strangely happy when IT guys flex on gearslutz.

I am running my vsts on a Windows aws instance so I can tell you it’s cloud!!

Unfortunately latency is really really bad and the sound is horrible.

I also do something related to computers for a living, people !
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
I get strangely happy when IT guys flex on gearslutz.
Get to da choppa! Kom wid me eef you vant to liff.

Quote:
I am running my vsts on a Windows aws instance so I can tell you it’s cloud!!
This doesn't end well.

Quote:
Unfortunately latency is really really bad and the sound is horrible.
Called it. I actually experimented with how far I could get running stuff on really overpowered vMare VMs while at Intel. It's amazing how no combination of cutting-edge hardware (including stuff still under NDA) will fix it. My best friend there now helps/helped BT design his cutting-edge setup.

Quote:
I also do something related to computers for a living, people !
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
No, you still use the same app. I’ve already migrated and it’s working fine. Try deleting the app and redownloading it.
That worked. Cheers, Storm.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn74 View Post
Roland JD would be great, but only done right. I am afraid that plugin based on the existing JV&XV code would be to similar and without JD magic.
This was the first thing i passed to "authorities". They said they will look into it - but in general, no promises were ever given. Let's not forget the saturation/distortion bug. JD is still louder in the mix, when placed against other synths, yet they are all on the same level. It penetrates insanely deep. I am scared the plugin version will not. But we will see.

I should also mention that some that are on the higher level positioned than me, also mentioned some things to the "architects" - but unfortunately the doors never opened... But that's how the things are with some companies. You have to learn to accept it.

Quote:
He is some dork who calls himself sound designer - in reality sits all day on his lazy ass, writes lame jokes on forums, downloads hentai all day and has a "small" fetish for Asian girls. Actually a super boring guy... best ignored.
Old 3 days ago
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
This was the first thing i passed to "authorities". They said they will look into it - but in general, no promises were ever given. Let's not forget the saturation/distortion bug. JD is still louder in the mix, when placed against other synths, yet they are all on the same level. It penetrates insanely deep. I am scared the plugin version will not. But we will see.

I should also mention that some that are on the higher level positioned than me, also mentioned some things to the "architects" - but unfortunately the doors never opened... But that's how the things are with some companies. You have to learn to accept it.

He is some dork who calls himself sound designer - in reality sits all day on his lazy ass, writes lame jokes on forums, downloads hentai all day and has a "small" fetish for Asian girls. Actually a super boring guy... best ignored.
I wonder if The Don ever heard anything about a cloud V-Synth.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
Having finally sorted the subscription, it looked like the RCM instruments activated without me needing to load Cloud Manager at all - I opened Cubase, loaded D-50 and it was already authorised on Mac.

I think, of all the Roland synths I've owned in the past, what I'd really like to see recreated is the EG-101...

Just kidding.

JP-8000 for sure. I would be VERY happy if I could look at that again with more experienced eyes.

JD-800 - I <3 the hardware, but is it really that different to a JV or XP class machine rather than just an easier way to edit and customise the sound banks/patches? Back in the early 2000s I collected every expansion card (even if I only really used a couple of them) and regret selling the JD and cards when I moved house, but had to at the time.

V-Synth - had an XT... don't remember it much. I seem to recall doing some sort of deal with it where I ended up with a Plugiator and some cash, but again, there's crossover - think I got a D-550 then too. What did I miss compared to the Supernova/Virus (Indigo - can't remember if C/2) I had then?

MC-202 yes please - with the sequencer intact. Better yet if it could 'pair with an SH-101' in one VST. I'd only really be into the S-50 if it had the GUI side of it recreated and wasn't just playing back the sample library at modern quality.

What I'd really like would be a 'sample cross reference' - so core samples from say, JV-35 expansion/SRX/JV cards, JD PCMs, D70 etc. and a Roland ACB/DCB modular engine where you could select sample, effective frequency/resolution of the DAC, filters and EGs. Build a JV with a Juno's chorus and System filters for example...

Virtual JP-8000 with accurate aliasing/zippering etc. would be the main "must have that NOW" one though.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I wonder if The Don ever heard anything about a cloud V-Synth.
The best way to learn what's Roland cooking is to follow Miki-san and his interviews. Even in Japanese interviews are no longer an issue, just right click and select Translate.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

There's still quite a lot of worthy instruments in Roland's history they can do - my list would at least include (in no particular order):

JX10/MKS70/JX8P, Jupiter 4, SH5, MKS80/Jupiter 6, V-Synth, JD-800/990, JP8000/8080 and maybe the S50/10 if it retains the character of the hardware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
The best way to learn what's Roland cooking is to follow Miki-san and his interviews. Even in Japanese interviews are no longer an issue, just right click and select Translate.
Where would we do this?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines View Post
There's still quite a lot of worthy instruments in Roland's history they can do - my list would at least include (in no particular order):

JX10/MKS70/JX8P, Jupiter 4, SH5, MKS80/Jupiter 6, V-Synth, JD-800/990, JP8000/8080 and maybe the S50/10 if it retains the character of the hardware...

Where would we do this?
That's about a 7 to 8 new plugins.

About 1 to 1-5 years worth of releases...…

Its been pretty quiet on the major release front. Surely something new for the loyal subscribers soon?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland. View Post
That's about a 7 to 8 new plugins.

About 1 to 1-5 years worth of releases...…

Its been pretty quiet on the major release front. Surely something new for the loyal subscribers soon?
That’s what I was thinking.. they really need to expand their offerings.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines View Post

I would like to add:

tr707/tr727/tr606/alpha juno/cr78/r8/svc350/vp330/ce1/dimension-d/the whole tape echo lineup etc etc
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic View Post
I would like to add:

tr707/tr727/tr606/alpha juno/cr78/r8/svc350/vp330/ce1/dimension-d/the whole tape echo lineup etc etc
Let's just throw in all the classic Boss pedals too! CE-2, BF-2, DS-1, SD-1 BD-2, DM-2, etc.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Let's just throw in all the classic Boss pedals too! CE-2, BF-2, DS-1, SD-1 BD-2, DM-2, etc.
This is a great idea. There are a number of Boss pedals I'd like to use, but it would make a lot more sense for my setup to have them as plugins.

Roland Cloud could use some effects in general. RE-201 Space Echo seems like a no-brainer. They already developed an emulation of it for the Boss RE-20, and people have been asking for a plugin version for years.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a great idea. There are a number of Boss pedals I'd like to use, but it would make a lot more sense for my setup to have them as plugins.
Yes, amazing idea! if they could really nail them, I think opening up Roland Cloud to a whole bunch of people using it for their guitar rig would be really interesting.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
RE-201 Space Echo seems like a no-brainer. They already developed an emulation of it for the Boss RE-20, and people have been asking for a plugin version for years.
i would hope they'd improve on the emulation before doing that, i don't think the RE-20 is up to par with some of the more recent RE-201/tape emulations. it's ok, but i wouldn't bother with a Roland branded plug-in if it's the same thing.

(the D16/Slate 'Repeater' delay plug-in mentioned in that thread is even worse. yuck.)

i think a number of the Cloud synth emulations already have this (and other "Boss/Roland fx") built in anyway. i was actually pretty impressed with the OD/Distortion/Fuzz on some of them, adds some great character to the System-8 synth.

their '63 Fender (spring) Reverb pedal/emulation was pretty disappointing as well, which they've been using in all sorts of products for years. i thought it was ok at first, but after noticing it couldn't not hear it and quickly hated the thing. bought a Boss Katana amp a couple years ago when that came out and it still had the same crap spring reverb. it's like it's a single "sample/IR" of a spring and responds the same every time it's "triggered" no matter what you put through it, like the "machine gun" effect when using static drum samples. you can sort of dial it out a bit on the amp (with the software editor), but it kills a lot of the "spring character" doing that.

thankfully there's some pretty decent spring reverb emulations these days, back when the pedal came out it was one of the only ones available.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i would hope they'd improve on the emulation before doing that, i don't think the RE-20 is up to par with some of the more recent RE-201/tape emulations. it's ok, but i wouldn't bother with a Roland branded plug-in if it's the same thing.
That's unfortunate. Arturia released a Space Echo emulation a few months ago. Sounds pretty good to me, but I have no idea how it compares to the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
thankfully there's some pretty decent spring reverb emulations these days, back when the pedal came out it was one of the only ones available.
What do you think of Softube's Spring Reverb? It's the only one I have, but again, I don't know what real ones are supposed to sound like. I also just bought the Arturia FX Collection, which has a new spring reverb (SPRING-636) that I'm guessing is modeled after a real one. Haven't played with it yet.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Don't the anthology instruments include some of the wishlist, as presets, though?

The question is always "do you want a preset you loved, or to explore a synth engine/see what can be created now" - like with the earlier PCM drum machines, do they really offer anything samples don't?

There are differences between JX3/8/10 - but as there's already a 3, surely a JX-10 would be enough to complete the DCO/analogue family to satisfaction? I'd even go so far as to question why you'd need a 3P if you've got a 10. Perhaps, even an MKS-70 would make the most sense with a drop-down PG800.

I mean, if we're going to chase the 'all the hallowed gear', I want a Roland Cloud module that specifically hooks to my GP-10 and delivers a GR77b and GR700 floor unit, complete with flaky 24-pin connection and glitchy tracking. And back-breaking weight (big regret, selling the GR77b/red G-77b controller. At least the GR700/707 combo got four figures even in the mid-2000s).

There's one thing Roland could, I think, manage theoretically without breaking a sweat that I'd personally love, and it's the reinstatement of the 'non-sound' aspects of these classic synths that made them so much fun to use, and such inspiring creative tools before all the things we have now made it stupidly easy to get filthy/spacey/ambient/strange.

Step sequencers.

SH-101 - that sequencer made me love it far more than the sound.
JX3P - I never owned one, but apparently it had a 128 step one? That's not on the plugin...

I know. DAWs have step sequencers. It's not the same. Interacting with one thing, note/rest/note/note/note, not having to worry about tracks/record/quantizing/etc.

Arturia have done it for synths that never had sequencers - but these Rolands had them from the start. The drum machines effectively have a sequencer (imagine if the same attitude had been taken there, and you got 808 sounds, but had to do your patterns in MIDI!).
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTK View Post
I'd even go so far as to question why you'd need a 3P if you've got a 10.
I've never used an 8P or 10, but the 3P is the one everyone wants, and by all accounts the 8P and 10 don't sound anything like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTK View Post
JX3P - I never owned one, but apparently it had a 128 step one? That's not on the plugin...
The plugin doesn't have a sequencer, but the JX-03 and System-8 versions do.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

The UAD RE-201 is pretty great.

Would be good to see Roland out out a state of the art emulation, though, containing all their old FX.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search