The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
roland mx1 aira link
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Addict

roland mx1 aira link

I've hooked up my roland boutique to the aira link on the mx1, but I'm not getting any midi or audio. does it need to be a usb3 lead?
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERHANS View Post
I've hooked up my roland boutique to the aira link on the mx1, but I'm not getting any midi or audio. does it need to be a usb3 lead?
Any standard USB 2 or above should work.

Is the Boutique lighting up? Have you removed the batteries and tested it that way?
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

Pretty sure the MX1 requires the latest OS for the boutiques.
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

Are you on latest firmware ?
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Addict

1.04 but i read nothing on the update notes about boutique support...
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Addict

what kind of cable do you need for connecting a mx1 to a roland boutique?
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
what kind of cable do you need for connecting a mx1 to a roland boutique?
Looks to be just a standard USB A type to micro-B type. I don't have any boutiques, but the MX1 is standard USB 2.0
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkog View Post
Looks to be just a standard USB A type to micro-B type. I don't have any boutiques, but the MX1 is standard USB 2.0
is that the same as a phone sync cable?
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkog View Post
have you tried it?
Old 11th December 2016
Lives for gear

The Boutiques were supported by the MX-1 from vers 1.03 upwards so should work on yours, make sure you use USB slot 3 on the MX1 this will also power the boutique, as the boutiques require bus power via USB.
Old 11th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Any standard USB 2 or above should work.

Is the Boutique lighting up? Have you removed the batteries and tested it that way?
Funny enough, USB 3 won't work. I learned this by buying an USB 3 cable with a Micro-B connector. The Micro-B connector of an USB 3 cable won't fit into the Roland gear. Only the Micro-B connector of an USB 2 cable will fit! The Micro-B connector with USB 3 is not the same as a Micro-B connector with USB 2.
Old 11th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
The Boutiques were supported by the MX-1 from vers 1.03 upwards so should work on yours, make sure you use USB slot 3 on the MX1 this will also power the boutique, as the boutiques require bus power via USB.
yeh I'm using slot 3 but its not working so I'm wondering if I've got the wrong cable
Old 11th December 2016
Gear Head

Yeah, I'm guessing you are trying to use a "dedicated charging" cable.

Any standard USB A - micro USB B cable should work. "Standard" being that the cable contains power and data wires. You cannot use a "dedicated charging" cable that only contains power wires.

It's hard to tell the difference by just looking at the cable, but usually the good ones will be a bit thicker (more wires!). I have a portable hard drive that needs the standard cable so if I want to test a cable I try hooking that drive up to a computer. If it's recognized by the computer then it has the data wires.

I'm using MX-1 firmware 1.05 - Boutiques are updated to latest firmware (1.04 for TB and TR, 1.11 for JP) and are working great with the powered USB connection (slot 3).
Old 11th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Martini View Post

Any standard USB A - micro USB B cable should work. "Standard" being that the cable contains power and data wires. You cannot use a "dedicated charging" cable that only contains power wires.

It's hard to tell the difference by just looking at the cable, but usually the good ones will be a bit thicker (more wires!). I have a portable hard drive that needs the standard cable so if I want to test a cable I try hooking that drive up to a computer. If it's recognized by the computer then it has the data wires.

I'm using MX-1 firmware 1.05 - Boutiques are updated to latest firmware (1.04 for TB and TR, 1.11 for JP) and are working great with the powered USB connection (slot 3).
do you have a link to the correct cable?
Old 11th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Martini View Post

yeah, i have run into that problem myself, just grabbing some cable from the closet or something someone left in my car or whatnot... not all these cables are the same regardless of port size etc... so the dollar store "cheapies" are probably not going to work...
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
yeah, i have run into that problem myself, just grabbing some cable from the closet or something someone left in my car or whatnot... not all these cables are the same regardless of port size etc... so the dollar store "cheapies" are probably not going to work...
do you have a link to the ones that will work?
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

I can't even seem to find out what a so called "data link cable" is, technically. Maybe it's just some fancy marketing term for a normal USB cable after the invention of Android charger cables that won't do USB? What is a "data link cable" supposed to do that a normal USB cable won't do?
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Addict

which leads are recommended by roland?
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Addict

if its so easy to do why isn't there a link to the correct cable?
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

Because it's standardized?
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
do you have a link to the ones that will work?
Sorry guys, I don't have a link as I haven't purchased any, just repurposed cables I had around... but any usb cable from say a portable hard drive or something should be just fine... i am just warning about the cheap cables you see at corner stores or dollar shops etc that are pretty much just good for charging.... there isn't a "special" cable or anything, just one that you would use with a hard drive or came with your phone etc that was intended to carry both data and power....(i think anything that carries data well will carry power as well, but not the converse if you know what I mean...)
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Addict
Just get a bunch of these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._usb_type.html

Has that EMI thing which can help on noise (sometimes).
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Because it's standardized?
which ones are standardized?
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

All USB cables. Cables that only carry power cannot be USB cables, USB is used to transmit data in a serial manner. Hence the name: Universal Serial Bus
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

But some USB cables will only carry power not data, such as some cables used by some mobile phone chargers and car kits.
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Guru

it may be that the MX-1 needs rebooting for the right mode, as well as any firmwares all being up to date.
only USB port 3 looks ilke it will provide any bus power. the others may not.

USB Host & OTG

not sure if this link will work but, USB mini & micro can have wiring for OTG / host mode. on the micro mini ends they have 5 pins. pin 5 is the Ground on that end. pin 4 they call the sense pin. when the cable fuses pin 5 to pin 4 the connection is working in Host mode.

[DIY] - USB On The Go (OTG) Cable | AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717

I have a small speaker with a mico USB and it looked to me that the micro socket on the speaker itself fused pin 5 to pin 4. so that could mean that that particular design could use a cable which fused it itself in the cable or didn't fuse it in the cable. because the speakers micro socket would produce the same result on both cables.

I believe OTG adapter cables do this pin connection. I think OTG should be the same as entering Host mode. If the connection isn't made, the connected unit is interpreted as a device peripheral.

Quote:
A peripheral device is defined as a computer device, such as a keyboard or printer, that is not part of the essential computer (i.e., the memory and microprocessor). These auxiliary devices are intended to be connected to the computer and used.
MX-1

My hunch would be that a boutique would have the fused pin configuration already in the boutique socket. the only other thing I could see happening is that some kind of software controlled switching is used to effectively fuse the pins to enter Host mode. not really sure. I haven't heard anyone say you need a OTG adapter for instance.

this image shows that only port 3 will provide bus power. so I assume anything using the other 3 ports need to be able to provide power for themselves. in reviews I've heard the MX-1 itself also has 3 modes. one of those modes is for using the USB Hosting. each mode requires a reboot of the MX-1 so it looks like it might not say, run as a computer soundcard streamer at the same time as being a Host. it's default mode is as an analog mixer.

Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
But some USB cables will only carry power not data, such as some cables used by some mobile phone chargers and car kits.
Such cables are no USB cables. Similar to DIN MIDI cables that look like DIN sync cables but have not all wires connected to carry DIN sync. Nobody would call such a MIDI cable a DIN sync cable, despite the fact that they look identical.
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Such cables are no USB cables. Similar to DIN MIDI cables that look like DIN sync cables but have not all wires connected to carry DIN sync. Nobody would call such a MIDI cable a DIN sync cable, despite the fact that they look identical.
USB is the connection standard NOT the cable. Midi is a protocol, hence DIN and MIDI cables are different. Same as you will on some USB hubs only find USB ports that support fast charging ONLY, but are still defined as USB. Same applies to certain usb charging cables, they have no data wires BUT are still called usb as its the connection they use.
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

No! USB is a data transmission protocol, too, and not only a standard for connectors

There is no such thing as USB without data transmission, as USB is all about serial data transmission by definition

Just don't buy an "Android charger cable" and you're good
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
No! USB is a data transmission protocol, too, and not only a standard for connectors

There is no such thing as USB without data transmission, as USB is all about serial data transmission by definition

Just don't buy an "Android charger cable" and you're good
I would agree Eigenwert that it "should" be, but no, unfortunately with all the idiots in the world bandying about terms etc, when I buy a charger cable for a device, it is called a USB cable even though it doesn't carry data transmission.

whether or not they should be shot for that is up to everyone else. problem is, they are doing it... so the proper definition has gone to the wolves..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search