The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Newbie Question...
Old 4th March 2007
Here for the gear

Newbie Question...

Sorry for the long post...

I am new to the world of MIDI. I have been playing and recording music for years but have never done enything with MIDI. Here is my situation. I have a small project studio at home and I spend a lot of time in there by myself. I have a Hart Dynamics drum kit with an Alesis DM5 module. I also have a Yamaha S03 synth/controller. When I am tracking drum parts I am finding it difficult to set healthy levels at my mixer (Phonic HB18 FW across the room from the drums) while behind the kit. I would like to use the S03, which sits right by the mixer, to trigger the DM5 and set levels of it's 4 analog outs, which are run to the mixer, before I get behind the kit. I have done my time reading both manuals and I just can't get the S03 to trigger the DM5. I have the S03 set to channel 16...I have tried them all... the DM5 is set to Omni. I have a brand new Hosa MIDI cable run from the MIDI out of the S03 to the MIDI in of the DM5 and turned off it's "Local" control setting. I have swept the entire keyboard, even changing octaves on the S03 and but it triggers nothing. What might I be doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11th March 2007
Gear Nut

the only thing i can think of is if you have local control turned off on your s03 then make sure the volume control on the keyboard is turned up. turning it all the way down will do the same on your dm5. "main volume" is controller 7 which the s03 transmits and the dm5 receives.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search