The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Which audio application are you using for electronic music production?
View Poll Results: Which audio application are you using for electronic music production?
Cubase
28 Votes - 24.78%
Logic Pro
31 Votes - 27.43%
Fruity Loops
6 Votes - 5.31%
Reason
17 Votes - 15.04%
Ableton Live
34 Votes - 30.09%
Acid Pro
3 Votes - 2.65%
Protools
21 Votes - 18.58%
other....
24 Votes - 21.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Which audio application are you using for electronic music production?

Just curious, which music/audio application the elctronic guys are using as their main application!

fruity loops over here
Old 4th March 2007
ten
Gear Maniac

I was using cubase/Nuendo for dance, trance, house but recently switched to Reaper. Great little prog..

tom
Old 4th March 2007
Gear Maniac

hi tom thx for the answer, how is reaper compared to the other appz, have only done a small look into it, are you using many virtual instruments or do you have many hardware synths? Cause i couldnt find a way how to use virtual synths in reaper , perhaps its me
Old 4th March 2007
ten
Gear Maniac

I use soft synths primarily. I also have an Andro A6, Virus TI, SE1x and a couple of outboard effects.

Reaper is very good. It definately needs some work in the midi dept and the gui and layout could do with a polish, but its performing better than Cubase/Nuendo have ever done on my systems.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/t.engle...k32samples.jpg

That is a screen shot of 10 instances of NI Massive all playing 16 notes poly at the same time at ultra high quality mode. Now heres the best bit. The project is at 96k and 32 buffers on my soundcard (0.33ms latency) which is a Lynx AES/Aurora combo.

There is no audio glitches or crackles and as you can see from the task manager in the bottom right, its utilizing all 8 of my cpus on a dual quadcore machine. Absolutley amazing performance at this latency/srate, something Cubase would just fall over and die doing.

It really is a great little seq for virtual plugs, and its getting better for external kit to with a delay comp plug already available. A few more tweaks in this area and it will rival Cubase's similar feature. Love it!

tom
Old 4th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten View Post
I use soft synths primarily. I also have an Andro A6, Virus TI, SE1x and a couple of outboard effects.

Reaper is very good. It definately needs some work in the midi dept and the gui and layout could do with a polish, but its performing better than Cubase/Nuendo have ever done on my systems.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/t.engle...k32samples.jpg

That is a screen shot of 10 instances of NI Massive all playing 16 notes poly at the same time at ultra high quality mode. Now heres the best bit. The project is at 96k and 32 buffers on my soundcard (0.33ms latency) which is a Lynx AES/Aurora combo.

There is no audio glitches or crackles and as you can see from the task manager in the bottom right, its utilizing all 8 of my cpus on a dual quadcore machine. Absolutley amazing performance at this latency/srate, something Cubase would just fall over and die doing.

It really is a great little seq for virtual plugs, and its getting better for external kit to with a delay comp plug already available. A few more tweaks in this area and it will rival Cubase's similar feature. Love it!

tom

thx tom great, i will have a deeper look in it heh
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

digital performer... i side stepped all the logic vs pro tools politics... heh
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

Ableton Live. It's like they designed it based on my thought process. After playing with it for an hour it was like second nature to me. I bought Cubase 4 but haven't been able to pull myself away from Live long enough to really explore.
Old 5th March 2007
Gear Addict

i usually start songs out in fruity loops and acid pro, then move the results over to Pro Tools for the sound design and mixdown process....sometimes tracks make a pit stop in logic for some extra soft synth pads and stuff...good stuff! i like to mix it up
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

i use audiomulch heavily for everything from sound deisgn to complete composition/arranging. then i use 'tape it' to capture all the tracks then i throw them in logic to mix/process/edit. usually a track will be done completely in audiomulch except for mixing.

if i'm sequencing w/hardware i'll track into logic and mix etc.

i haven't actually written a song using any kind of piano roll interface in over a year.
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

cubase sx3 here

such a fan of the layout, mapping and the use of external fx & synths

also, the audio editing is amazing
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Nut

Nuendo here,
Reaper looks interesting, I might take a look at it when I upgrade to a multicore CPU.
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

Cubase but just switched over to reaper, its a real nice program
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

beats usually fl studio.....then bounce down individual wav's to cubase sx 3 for mixing & vocals........................
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Ableton 6 here, was using cubase for 12 years but switch to ableton when i got my Mac book pro. It's been great so far, a few anoying things but all in all I'm glad i made the switch
Old 8th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Logic and ProTools simultaneously.

On two separate machines? Are you using logic to host softsynths and PT as your DAW?
Old 8th March 2007
Gear Addict

Metro 6, since the days when it was marketed by Dr. T's.
Old 8th March 2007
t_d
Lives for gear

digital performer
Old 8th March 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutt View Post
Metro 6, since the days when it was marketed by Dr. T's.
I actually used to use Dr. T's Beyond all the way through to Metro 6. I loved it at the time but I didn't realize how archaic and feature limited it was until I switched to Cubase and Digital Performer. They absolutely blow Metro away IMO.
Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

Where is Nuendo?????? that's all me and my hardware
Old 9th March 2007
Gear Nut

Reason 3 / Nuendo SX / Ableton 5.2 / Reaktor 5 / Logic 5.5 Platinum.
and for the hardware, novation nova + effects and guitar recording ****...

Kind a small room but does the trick...
Old 9th March 2007
Lives for gear

Mostly Logic TDM and Protools.

I use ACID on a PC for some loop creation- but forgot to select it.
I use a lot of hardware synths.
Old 9th March 2007
Lives for gear

Logic/TDM for making records and ableton 6.0.5 for djing, i don't rate the processed sound of ableton at all but its so much easier for djing ... for us studio producers turned dj's life is much easier with a computer, we feel at home.
Old 10th March 2007
Gear Addict

other max/msp / pd
Old 10th March 2007
Gear Nut

Acid 6 & Pro-Tools TDM

George Ware
Old 10th March 2007
Lives for gear

Logic for me, sometimes i rewire Reason in Logic, has some fun features!

Btw, i did a similar poll not so long ago, i was mainly interested in what folks liked for sequencing. You can see the results here;

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/98649-what-sequencer-do-you-use.html
Old 10th March 2007
Gear Head

Other:

SSC Kyma System
Elektron Machinedrum UW / Monomachine
Waldorf 2X microWaves + Access microWave Programmer
Old 12th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth.ignition View Post
I actually used to use Dr. T's Beyond all the way through to Metro 6. I loved it at the time but I didn't realize how archaic and feature limited it was until I switched to Cubase and Digital Performer. They absolutely blow Metro away IMO.

Hmm. Tell me more: what have you found that you can do with Cubase or DP that you couldn't do with Metro?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search