The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC live
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l ➡️
Hello,

Has anyone else had a problem where live hs started acting super sluggish out of nowhere? Mine is almost un-useable and havent found a way to. Yre it yet. Re-installed os, reset settings etc. But nothing seems to work. Working of an sd card with no other storage attached, different cards make no difference. Super frustrated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Beatz ➡️
Same Prob As Homeboy Above? What is your Internal Drive Situation lookin like? Hopefully you haven't deleted any Pre-Loaded Files on the Internal Drive
Ahhhhhh right - that can cause sluggishness and issues as well. Filling up that drive as well as deleting any Factory content off of it.
d3l
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
To my knowledge I havent touched it as I've worked out of the SD card for the whole time I've had it. How can I check if its okay?
d3l
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Do we have any cases with the same symptoms that have been caused by a hw failure?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
To my knowledge I havent touched it as I've worked out of the SD card for the whole time I've had it. How can I check if its okay?
Take a look at the built-in storage and make sure you didn't accidentally save a bunch of projects and/or sample content to it. Also, your MPC Live came with a metric ton of extra Expansions that weren't installed on the Factory Storage. Did you install these on your removable SD Card or onto the built-in storage? Are you sure you didn't delete any content off of this?

Quote:
Do we have any cases with the same symptoms that have been caused by a hw failure?
You'd have to reach out to Akai to confirm that, but hardware failure certainly can cause your software to start acting buggy (including general "sluggishness").
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
d3l
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
AFAIK I have not deleted or saved anything on the internal storage. I need to check it out but first need to find out how.

Is there a way to restore the whole internal storage or swap it out for a completely new one?

Thanks all for your help.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
there's a way to restore but you'll have to contact AKAIs help
they will provide you with a link to an image you can use to reflash the internal mem
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
SD cards, especially inexpensive ones, tend to fail fast and in mysterious ways as writes accumulate. I'd try another SD card and see if the problems persist.
Old 3rd March 2021
Gear Nut

im having this weird delay when muting tracks (controller mode), they get stuck in either muted or simply dont react and still play or dont play when still muted, until i do other actions like changing track. i think also certain instruments not really catching up when presets are changed i think. a bit annoying
Gear Head

Quote:
Hello,

Has anyone else had a problem where live hs started acting super sluggish out of nowhere? Mine is almost un-useable and havent found a way to. Yre it yet. Re-installed os, reset settings etc. But nothing seems to work. Working of an sd card with no other storage attached, different cards make no difference. Super frustrated...
The MPC Live has one achilles heel and that is the internal 16GB microSD card that is used for the expansion packs and user presets/templates. It is a very low-grade cheap af card and when I bought my Live (used) it was already exhibiting some sluggishness upon boot and sometimes in the middle of working on a song.

I took it out, saved the contents to an image (in Linux), copied the contents to a high grade 128GB card and popped it in there. Haven't had problems since.

That would be the first place I would look BUT if you're under warranty, contact AKAI and they will sort you out.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaipanda ➡️
I took it out, saved the contents to an image (in Linux), copied the contents to a high grade 128GB card and popped it in there. Haven't had problems since.
and can you address all that 128GB memory?? I thought that would be impossible
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisebuddy ➡️
i have a 256gb sd card in my MPC One
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
i have a 256gb sd card in my MPC One
and a 16gb internal
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't know what filesystem the MPC uses for its internal storage, but its highly unlikely that Akai designed their own. I assume the unit uses embedded linux so it could be anything that that supports from EXT4, XFS, FAT32, ExFAT, etc. And they are almost certainly using the off-the-shelf linux driver for that file system, so it should have no issue addressing up to the limit of the filesystem:

FAT32: 2tb
ExFAT: 128pb
EXT4: 1eb
XFS: 8eb

The trick is copying the old filesystem to the new card, unchanged, and then expanding it. Definitely doable, but a bit on the geeky side.
Old 4th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah and good luck getting the restore image directly from Akai anymore. Apparently people cant read and shared it all over the internet after they were sent it by tech support. They used to email it to you and let you do it yourself, 10 minutes later your MPC was back to normal. Now anytime your MPC needs re-imaging you get to mail it to Akai and let them flash it for you and wait for it to come home (which judging by their support response time the last few months means you'll be lucky if you ever see it again).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
Yeah and good luck getting the restore image directly from Akai anymore. Apparently people cant read and shared it all over the internet after they were sent it by tech support. They used to email it to you and let you do it yourself, 10 minutes later your MPC was back to normal. Now anytime your MPC needs re-imaging you get to mail it to Akai and let them flash it for you and wait for it to come home (which judging by their support response time the last few months means you'll be lucky if you ever see it again).
And what's their justification for keeping it under lock and key, I wonder? Windows, MacOS, and lots of other operating systems have images floating around the internet just fine. Most tech companies I deal with have an FTP or something similar they direct users to for files, drivers, operating systems, etc. I have exactly one experience with Akai support (it was less than stellar) and I would rather not have to deal with them again.
Old 4th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have no clue. That MPC code has the location of Atlantis embedded in it or something. Way back when they still had those horrid GetSatisfaction 'forums', people who had gotten it from tech support started responding with links to it all over the boards anytime someone had a problem. I guess they got mad at that and at some point support started having people send them in to flash instead.
That's a shame. I recently bought a Live II and I think I'm gonna do an OS image backup for safe-keeping after reading the last few posts here.
Old 4th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The OS images are still available from Akai for everyone to download.

The stuff on the internal SD card that you're not supposed to delete is the factory content, as far as I understand, so I'm guessing it's some dumb licensing thing.

I'm still completely at a loss to understand *why* deleting this stuff causes problems. Seems like a bug they should just fix.
Old 4th March 2021
Gear Head

The 16GB card only contains the expansions and user folders. The only real requirement is having the Vault folder in the correct location as this location is hardcoded into the internal MPC.Settings file. The format of the card is Ext4 so the card size is not an issue really - the system itself is a Linux Embedded, based on buildroot.

The OS itself is a firmware running from the chip and there is not a real user-friendly way to copy the contents (but it is possible).
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
oh man, i just discovered that when I am in sync to the MPC software and using let`s say my FAB-Filter Plugins or others, then the parameters are shown up on my MPC. Wow, that's amazing ... i did not expect this... not bad at all - although it would be nice to define what parameters are on a dedicated page - well i need to go deeper

so my 49" LCD becomes my MPC-extension ....

i have to say that i didn't explore the Live-SW, just one time when i got my MPC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Beatz ➡️
Hopefully Everything Works Out After You Tidy Up A Lil Bit....Keep us Informed
Ok so I figured out the reason why it wouldn't save to SD card or USB stick. For no explainable reason I ended up using a template with a long name as a starting point for the vast majority of my projects without bothering to rename or shorten the source name, and somehow a # sign had snuk its way in there, contaminating all later project names.

Once confirmed that the # was the problem I could start the enjoyable task of loading, renaming, saving and deleting all the project files, which is now finally done, and I'm happy to say that both the Flatten Pad function and the rest of my MPC seem to be working correctly.

Had to delete about 40 projects before I got past 0 bytes free space. Don't know what that is about, but I wont be saving to the internal drive from now on anyway.
While I'll admit to being somewhat careless about the way I've been using the MPC, skipping the manual etc, I can still think of a few things to say regarding fair assumptions about post 1995 technology for default saving destinations in 2017 gear but I'll leave it there. I've had this thing now for over 3 years and mostly been pleased with it, and unless I run into big issues that don't turn out to be user errors it's probably not going anywhere. Thanks for the helpful responds

Last edited by HUBA; 4th March 2021 at 03:10 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 ➡️
One of the few things I have found to be a real drag with the MPC Live/One is editing on the grid.

But today I tried using a stylus, and wow, that really makes a difference. Got one of those kind of expensive ones, really for my iPad, with a very narrow tip (Adonit Dash, but I'm many others will work fine). Works great on the MPC screen.

It makes it really easy to be precise when entering notes, erasing notes, lassoing notes etc. Also kind of cool is that it's easy to grab the individual notes and move them around - instead of nudging and transposing or using your sticky, oversized fingers that hide the note your working on... Also, moving the "playhead" start position is a breeze.

Basically, all those little motor skill things make you feel clumsy when editing with your fingers, and perhaps, lead you to subconsciously avoid making detailed changes etc.
The biggest advantage I've discovered is when copying/pasting notes, which seriously has driven me mad when using fingers.

When you in addition use your free hand to pinch/zoom, use dials etc, we're talking a pretty major work flow enhancement for those that are comfortable using e-pens.

Just thought I'd mention it.
that's a cool tip, tnx! Does this also improve the "double tap" problem? IE when I look at MPC One/Live videos, i notice that very often the first tap is not registered, and people need to touch a button twice to make the MPC register the tap....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
oh man, i just discovered that when I am in sync to the MPC software and using let`s say my FAB-Filter Plugins or others, then the parameters are shown up on my MPC. Wow, that's amazing ... i did not expect this... not bad at all - although it would be nice to define what parameters are on a dedicated page - well i need to go deeper

so my 49" LCD becomes my MPC-extension ....

i have to say that i didn't explore the Live-SW, just one time when i got my MPC
Yeah, this is a nice feature. Now if they would just add plugin delay compensation so I can actually use my 3rd party plugins.
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
isn't that the case? the MPC software is some sort of DAW
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've never looked at the MPC Software as a DAW at all - more like a "utility" app for the MPC. But proper PDC would certainly fix a lot of issues using it as a DAW, for sure.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight ➡️
I've never looked at the MPC Software as a DAW at all - more like a "utility" app for the MPC. But proper PDC would certainly fix a lot of issues using it as a DAW, for sure.
Yup same...either as a way to export expansions or for autosampling.

I did hook up my Live to the PC not that long ago for the first time and its a great controller but yeah the software is still too limited to do much more...did make me want a Touch...doesnt take much to make me want something else Ill never use lol
Old 5th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Man I haven't opened the software in a loooooong time but it does come in handy once in awhile for 'maintenance' tasks. Renaming stuff and moving around tracks around sometimes is easier with the screen size. And lets not forget, you can actually drag and drop your FX around too which is impossible on the standalone..
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
Man I haven't opened the software in a loooooong time but it does come in handy once in awhile for 'maintenance' tasks. Renaming stuff and moving around tracks around sometimes is easier with the screen size. And lets not forget, you can actually drag and drop your FX around too which is impossible on the standalone..
Neither do I. The ONLY thing I ever use the software for is making clip programs.
Old 5th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah to be honest Im scared to open any of my projects in it nowadays haha.
Before I got the Live, I used the Studio Black for about six months until I found a Live in stock. That thing would corrupt and twist projects left and right. There was no rhyme or reason, most stuff worked ok (minus the bugs) but it was just so inconsistent (and it hated SoundToys plugins too). Im always paranoid the minute I open one in the software its going to corrupt something and mess up my project. Thank god you can mount this thing and backup the hard drive!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I disagree with most. Technically, it is a DAW. It's just a feature poor one, so I understand why folks don't see it as such. And after 9 years, it's a shame they haven't developed it more.
📝 Reply