The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC live
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-phonic View Post
Curious to hear what everyone uses to record their work done on the MPC. I currently have the "X" and I have been doing all my work standalone and using my PC as an outboard effects machine because there are some effects that I just can't do without. But, while there are workarounds to only 8 audio tracks, I've started making attempts to record my work into a DAW....dundundunnnnnn!

Also, if you are exporting your project, great. I know that is an option, but I like to discuss what people who don't export do.

Thanks for your time!
My latest project on MPC was nearly all Audio for Guitars, Bass guitar, td30 drum kit and vocals.

here's my method.. i don't use the audio tracks at all currently.

what i do currently

1.make a drum program for say bass guitar
2.create a sequence like say 8 bars for verse 1
3.menu - looper
4.looper is 8 bars long....
5.record the bass and any over dubs in the loops to stitch together a performance if needed
6.export to a pad on that drum program

rinse n repeat for guitar, vocals, drum kit (on separate programs)
if the loop exported has playing thru the whole 8 bars/seq
7.rec count in and hit the pad at the start of the bar
8.go to pad mix and adjust vol level and pan

9.if the loop only needs like 4 bars of content or just a bit from the middle i go edit sample an chop it down and delete either side
10.then hit rec and put the sample where it needs to be in the 8 bars..

Each program becomes a sort of sub mix for:
a. roland td30 drum kit
b. mpc drums
c. bass guitar
d. electric guitar
e. arturia mini brute synth
f. main vocals
g.backing vocals/vocoder
h. korg volca beats sampled mpc kit (outro kit)

Im not saying this is THE BEST way to do things... it just what i've come up with!

mpc is 64 note poly so technically it can do 64 :tracks: at any one time...
if the looper export page offered an audio track as a destination i'd have probably have done that... but it doesn't so this was my quick n dirty way of getting a job done!

i arrange the track in the song screen list then export and throw the wav into my video editor and make a vid!

Last edited by cresshead; 1 week ago at 05:02 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Reason 12 is out already. I thought they were still on version 11?
D'oh! I meant Reason 11. My feeble aging mind can't keep track of software version numbers apparently
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
My setup is:

Mixer with bus outs

To record a synth just bus it out through fx/recording chain into Force.

Main outs from Force and mixer to monitors so it all plays along together while you track.

At the moment I have to use a second mixer as a sub mixer due to the amount of synths the Force is sequencing but will likely either buy (yet another) mixer with more inputs or use a 1010 Bluebox as a sub mixer which will allow 6 stereo/12 mono tracks to record at the same time if needed.

This can all be replicated using a Live, same setup. My last tune was completed in the Force...only pseudo mastered in Ableton.
You don't have an MPC Live in your setup?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
You don't have an MPC Live in your setup?
I still have the Live but its not in my setup anymore. The Force supersedes it for this purpose (arranger, 64 pads)...but if I didnt have the Force Id just use the Live and a launchpad pro, the days of my DAW are numbered.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I still have the Live but its not in my setup anymore. The Force supersedes it for this purpose (arranger, 64 pads)...but if I didnt have the Force Id just use the Live and a launchpad pro, the days of my DAW are numbered.
HEATHEN!!!!! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
HEATHEN!!!!! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!
I feel bad, at first I thought this was the Force thread...Im going to build an altar for my Live and light candles every night
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I have a question regarding clip programs: Can I record my clip-performance (e.g. in the piano roll)?

I know: clips are usually applied for Live situations. But if I want to record my live performace, how can I make it work?
If I do the usual stuff (select clip-track, arm track, press record or overdub) nothing gets recorded in the piano roll?!

Am I simply stupid (most likely ;-) ) or is there really no obvious way to record my clip launches (besides recording into an audio track)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stew 71
I've synced my Live to my DP24 (Tascam multitracker), and was able to record (as in internal sequencing and audio out to the DP24) multiple passes.

I haven't checked the precision visually - but as Joe Meek said, if it sounds right, it is right.
I looked into the DP24 and it's definitely and interesting solution to remove recording into your typical DAW. But, keeps me stuck with recording only 8 tracks on the inputs and I'm certain that I will be adding more to my mix from the external side. But, definitely will consider this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis
I avoid recording audio on the MPC. It's simply that Pro Tools is a better tool for this, for me. I keep everything that needs to be super tight strictly internal - ie samples.

I run the MPC into a small mixer, and I run any MIDI instruments that it is triggering into the same mixer. Then I compose the tune. After the tune is, like, 90% done, I then record from the mixer into Pro Tools, usually doing several passes: one for the MPC and one for each hardware instrument. Yes, it's a bit of faffing around, but the faffing only happens after I've had the fun of completing the tune in the MPC. So I can do the final spit and polish in Pro Tools. I often do keyboard solos in my music, and I almost always just track these over the top of the arrangement once it's in pro tools, so that is towards the end of the process (the tune in my sig is an example of that).

That's just for recording synths though. If you're tracking, say, guitar riffs, yeah, this after-the-fact tracking might not suit you. If I wanted to compose standalone but record guitar at the same time as composing (and if I wanted to avoid recording audio in the MPC), I'd probably slave Pro Tools playback to the MPC and do it that way, and just make any required timing adjustments after tracking. But if I was doing that regularly I'd probably end up recording in to the MPC with the guitar. All the most crucial percussive elements are always internal in the MPC for me. However, I often slave a separate hardware drum synth to my MPC for additional lines of percussion, and I find that it's tight as I ever need, especially for just jamming out a tune. But, as I said, I record them separately, so ultimately they are aligned in a DAW. Still, I'm not certain I'd get just as acceptable results (and probably save time) if I just hit record and accepted everything directly from the mixer. I'm just too much of a control freak for that I guess.

Incidentally, if I want something super, super tight, like the snap of a kick, and if I've got any kind of effect or layering on a pad, I flatten the pad, to avoid any kind of variance at all. Not always necessary - depends on the tempo of the tune for example.
So when you record from your MPC into Pro Tools, how much time do you spend aligning in Pro Tools? Have you considered solving the recording alignment issue rather than just fixing it afterward? I actually like Pro Tools and will probably move away from Bitwig, but Bitwig sure is a lovely playground to build ideas in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight
Reason 11. I treat my MPC as a instrument (or rather, a collection of dozens of instruments) and produce as much of my track on it as possible. After I build my song on the MPC, then I'll bounce everything to stems and open those in Reason 11 to polish off. Sometimes I'll open the MPC project I'm working on in an instance of the MPC Software running as a VST plugin inside Reason 11 to try out some ideas, but once I commit to stems I pretty much stick in Reason 11 for the rest.
I'm going to consider the export option as my last resort. Right now, I want a cohesive workflow that I can move back and forth seamlessly. I cut my teeth on reason when version 1 came out so many years ago. It's matured into a monster program. Is there a reason you prefer to export rather than record to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsynth
For audio latency issues into the daw, this helped me a ton. I was always frustrated that I had a small buffer but things still seemed off. https://youtu.be/PT5mD2Zd7F8

Basically you want to record to a track turn monitoring in ableton/bitwig off. If you want to hear it, make another track with same input with monitoring on but turn off record.
I almost choked on my drink when I watched the video. But, I didn't try it in Bitwig yet. I tried it in PT, but the way PT seems to work, I can't record a track without it monitoring the input. But, I'm very new to PT, so I'm sure I'm not using it correctly. But, I'm going to test this out to see if it helps my recording alignments. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead
here's my method.. i don't use the audio tracks at all currently.

what i do currently

1.make a drum program for say bass guitar
2.create a sequence like say 8 bars for verse 1
3.menu - looper
4.looper is 8 bars long....
5.record the bass and any over dubs in the loops to stitch together a performance if needed
6.export to a pad on that drum program
So you are exporting too? Something tells me that exporting is the best way to get perfectly aligned projects into a DAW. I love the looper. It's great for building up ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl
Mixer with bus outs
The Force? Come on, man! Hahaha...Seriously though, it sounds like you are recording process is Force->Mixer->Record into Ableton. How accurate is your track alignments?

The feedback from all my fellow MPC owners is great. Thank you.
Gear Guru

Quote:

The Force? Come on, man! Hahaha...Seriously though, it sounds like you are recording process is Force->Mixer->Record into Ableton. How accurate is your track alignments?

It was meant for the Force thread, someone was asking about workflow there too...but Ive had an MPC Live since 2017, this setup works for it too.

Ive got over a dozen synths plugged into the Force with audio into the mixer. The bus from the mixer go through my chain then into the Force. So I just arrange everything and when I want to print a synth to audio I just route it through the bus into the Force. The main outs of the mixer and the Force both go i to my monitors so you can record and playback at the same time.

Its not tracked into Ableton. I finished the track off in Ableton once its completed in the Force (or Live/One/X)
Lives for gear

Quote:

So you are exporting too? Something tells me that exporting is the best way to get perfectly aligned projects into a DAW. I love the looper. It's great for building up ideas.

For the 2 songs i've done on MPC so far is just export the wave from song mode in the MPC and then load it into the video mixer ( final stereo file )

However, i'm currently watching a couple of mixing and mastering videos for the akai force.. so might be applying a similar workflow on the next song.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsynth View Post
For audio latency issues into the daw, this helped me a ton. I was always frustrated that I had a small buffer but things still seemed off. https://youtu.be/PT5mD2Zd7F8

Basically you want to record to a track turn monitoring in ableton/bitwig off. If you want to hear it, make another track with same input with monitoring on but turn off record.

One thing that has been bugging me is midi timing. I can get rock solid notes recorded to and from mpc to Digitone. And rock solid notes FROM pc to mpc/Digitone BUT any midi being recorded INTO pc is off by roughly 50ms. And midi delay compensation creates other problems. I have a work around now but it uses mpc midi export and it's not great. My midi adapter is probably 20 years old though, it's possible it's the uno.
Yes, definitely use direct monitoring if that's available on your interface. Solves all audio latency issues for you PC.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC View Post
Just wanna say I'm really happy with my current MPC Live setup. I've been moving stuff around (as usual) and at the moment have a setup that's easy to use and has lots of options.

1. USB hub connected to MPC.
2. Roland FA-06 keyboard workstation, Audiothingies Micromonsta and DSI Tetra connected to the USB hub. Might connect a Blofeld too.
3. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 connected via USB to MacBook Pro running Ableton.
4. Midi in/out of Scarlett connected to MPC Live in/out.
5. Laptop and synth audio output from Scarlett to the MPC.
6. MPC Live template upon startup gives me
3 midi tracks for each synth and the laptop - for a total of 12 outboard midi tracks.

3 drum tracks, with 2 of them containing sampled kits, and 1 of them the new synth drum plugin.

12 tracks of empty "drum programs" to place and trigger synth parts that are sampled from the sound sources.
I don't have to turn on my laptop, the Scarlett acts as a mixer for the hardware synths feeding the MPC if I want to ignore the laptop.
That's really useful to see. I've since used your template as a template and it works nicely. Just wondering how you connect both hardware and laptop audio feeds to the MPC in though? Does the line/phono switch alter the input characteristics for the phono sockets?

I use a patchbay, so I can easily route various audio to the MPC line ins, but not sure if it's ok to use the phono sockets for line level signals.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew 71 View Post
That's really useful to see. I've since used your template as a template and it works nicely. Just wondering how you connect both hardware and laptop audio feeds to the MPC in though? Does the line/phono switch alter the input characteristics for the phono sockets?

I use a patchbay, so I can easily route various audio to the MPC line ins, but not sure if it's ok to use the phono sockets for line level signals.
I use the stereo quarter inch inputs. You can’t use the phono inputs at the same time - only one stereo input. So you need some kind of mixer - or audio interface with enough inputs.

The 8i6 interface has 6 inputs which is enough for my setup - but I actually just got a very small mixer so I can expand the inputs to include guitar/bass and always another synth
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralBody View Post
I have a question regarding clip programs: Can I record my clip-performance (e.g. in the piano roll)?

I know: clips are usually applied for Live situations. But if I want to record my live performace, how can I make it work?
If I do the usual stuff (select clip-track, arm track, press record or overdub) nothing gets recorded in the piano roll?!

Am I simply stupid (most likely ;-) ) or is there really no obvious way to record my clip launches (besides recording into an audio track)
> Am I simply stupid (most likely ;-) )

Yes, I was stupid :(

You can record your Clip-Performance.
I was using Settings-> Sequencer -> Rec Arm -> on Multi with Multiple keyboards and multiple armed tracks

Somehow I managed to trick myself with a to complex setting (3 tracks armed.....two keyboards and pad routed to somewhere)

You can record clip lauches in the piano roll. But be carefull with multitrack arms (and double check which tracks are armed).

Case closed.....
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
MOTU MIDI Express works well standalone. Not cheap though.
https://github.com/TheKikGen/USBMidiKliK4x4
πŸ“ Reply