The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC live
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25411
Lives for gear
 
EnochLight's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by epigon1 View Post
Hello, I am trying to midi control the new Drum Synth with an old Korg Nanokontrol 2 usb mixer.
Works well for pan, distortion, mute etc of the 8 synths (kick, clap, etc) but I cannot find how to map the most important: the gain (or volume), so I can set various levels
Anybody tried ?
I've got the Korg nanoKey Studio. When I get a chance I'll connect it to my Live 2 and have a peek. Not happening today, though - it's Thanksgiving in the US and I'm about to start my afternoon cocktails and spend time with the fam.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25412
Deleted 39941f3 πŸŽ™οΈ
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
I agree, I see the same parameters and presets on the screenshots of april
A very solid update.
A limited drum synth ready since a year.
Wow.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25413
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
I agree, I see the same parameters and presets on the screenshots of april
At the same time the arranger was showcased then, a far bigger piece of work, I think the drum synth was put on the back boiler while they focused on that update for the Force as the finished arranger was much more fully featured.

Also if you notice the drum synth demo was edited from the arranger demo, I don't think they were even on the same OS at that time.

I did message Akai during the beta period and they promised that they wouldnt force anyone to use the drum synth. We can only hope that they keep to that promise
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25414
Deleted 39941f3 πŸŽ™οΈ
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
At the same time the arranger was showcased then, a far bigger piece of work, I think the drum synth was put on the back boiler while they focused on the arranger for Force.

I did message Akai during the beta period and they promised that they wouldnt force anyone to use the drum synth. We can only hope that they keep to that promise
Wow so you belonged to beta team?
Great job indeed.
One year with a broken instant track mute.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25415
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25416
dsy
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
At the same time the arranger was showcased then, a far bigger piece of work, I think the drum synth was put on the back boiler while they focused on that update for the Force as the finished arranger was much more fully featured.
Yes, I agree with this idea. I imagine the software dev resources are limited, even for Akai. How many they are at Cambridge?

Another example of marketing oriented strategy
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25417
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Yes, I agree with this idea. I imagine the software dev resources are limited, even for Akai. How many they are at Cambridge?

Another example of marketing oriented strategy
They probably had to spray paint them themselves during covid lockdown
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25418
Lives for gear
 
EnochLight's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
At the same time the arranger was showcased then, a far bigger piece of work, I think the drum synth was put on the back boiler while they focused on that update for the Force as the finished arranger was much more fully featured.

Also if you notice the drum synth demo was edited from the arranger demo, I don't think they were even on the same OS at that time.

I did message Akai during the beta period and they promised that they wouldn't force anyone to use the drum synth. We can only hope that they keep to that promise


It's sad that some people need to be reminded of this. You'd think the Drum Synth faery was visiting all MPC users in the middle of the night and sliding the Drum Synth into their machines against their will font and center and making it load as the default plugin.

Kids these days, I tells ya'!
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25419
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post


It's sad that some people need to be reminded of this. You'd think the Drum Synth faery was visiting all MPC users in the middle of the night and sliding the Drum Synth into their machines against their will font and center and making it load as the default plugin.

Kids these days, I tells ya'!
Im like 103, Ive been waiting on a drum synth since the 1940s
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25420
dsy
Gear Head
 
The release note of firmware 2.9 is published and... no bug fixed for Akai.
Strange, because somes were fixed. Maybe they don't know what the developers are doing
Old 26th November 2020
  #25421
Deleted 39941f3 πŸŽ™οΈ
Guest
So your attitude is to talk to each other and laugh.
A solid update.
I think Akai should give a free sticker to all beta team for the beautiful job.
Dan made the right choice to say good luck to the high level of users like you
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25422
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I think the DrumSynths are fine. Not sure were all the criticisms of them being limited or not sounding good come from. They sound great. I can get boom bap drums out of them pretty nicely. Not sure what people are expecting.

In comparison the ones in Ableton Live are far more limited in-terms of tweakability, then you have the opposite end of the spectrum in Bitiwig which are too complicated to mess around with imo. I think the ones in the MPC are right in the middle. They could have maybe labeled parameters a bit better but I find the control to be quite good and you can get pretty nice sounds out of it.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25423
dsy
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I think the DrumSynths are fine. Not sure were all the criticisms of them being limited or not sounding good come from. They sound great. I can get boom bap drums out of them pretty nicely. Not sure what people are expecting.

In comparison the ones in Ableton Live are far more limited in-terms of tweakability, then you have the opposite end of the spectrum in Bitiwig which are too complicated to mess around with imo. I think the ones in the MPC are right in the middle. They could have maybe labeled parameters a bit better but I find the control to be quite good and you can get pretty nice sounds out of it.
The "natural" sounds are just comicals. A DR-880 is so much better.

Listen the drum synth of the M+, the synthetic sounds are much better.

Last edited by dsy; 26th November 2020 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Not fluent in english
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25424
Deleted 39941f3 πŸŽ™οΈ
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
The "natural" sounds are just comicals. A DR-880 is so much better.

Listen the drum synth of the M+, the synthetic sounds are much better.
Drum tracks with layered high quality samples from Mpc5000 is even better then them all
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25425
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
The "natural" sounds are just comicals. A DR-880 is so much better.

Listen the drum synth of the M+, the synthetic sounds are much better.
That's subjective. The MPC ones sound punchier and nicer imo. I personally never thought the drumsynths in Maschine sounded particularly good. I have Maschine open and the MPC software open and when comparing both on the same machine they just don't hold up.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25426
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
The "natural" sounds are just comicals. A DR-880 is so much better.

Listen the drum synth of the M+, the synthetic sounds are much better.
Ive had the maschine synth drum for years, its good but I prefer the mpcs...more editing as well. Shame they dont have NIs fx.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25427
Lives for gear
 
KikeRivera's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
The release note of firmware 2.9 is published and... no bug fixed for Akai.
Strange, because somes were fixed. Maybe they don't know what the developers are doing
IMOO Akai is 100% focused in 3.0, no bug fixes because 2.x is dead and their efforts are all in 3.0.

Drumsynth was released because it was ready and Akai try to sell some units in Christmas. Even the interface looks better integrated with the interface of 3.0, maybe some bugs like pad mute etc. are related with Drumsynth was originally designed for 3.0 and was quickly adapted to 2.9.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25428
Deleted 39941f3 πŸŽ™οΈ
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikeRivera View Post
IMOO Akai is 100% focused in 3.0, no bug fixes because 2.x is dead and their efforts are all in 3.0.

Drumsynth was released because it was ready and Akai try to sell some units in Christmas. Even the interface looks better integrated with the interface of 3.0, maybe some bugs like pad mute etc. are related with Drumsynth was originally designed for 3.0 and was quickly adapted to 2.9.
Ah very nice.
So 3.0 coming soon?
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25429
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikeRivera View Post
IMOO Akai is 100% focused in 3.0, no bug fixes because 2.x is dead and their efforts are all in 3.0.

Drumsynth was released because it was ready and Akai try to sell some units in Christmas. Even the interface looks better integrated with the interface of 3.0, maybe some bugs like pad mute etc. are related with Drumsynth was originally designed for 3.0 and was quickly adapted to 2.9.
This is the impression I’m getting, I imagine the Drum Synth will be better integrated with the 3.0 workflow than it is with the nearly dead 2.x OS. I’m excited to see what features 3.0 will bring, hopefully a better sampling engine and disk streaming, fingers crossed.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25430
Lives for gear
 
cresshead's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
I agree, I see the same parameters and presets on the screenshots of april
looks like we have a whole host of new plugins on the horizon for MPC:-

Mellotron
Organ
Piano
PopBrass/woods
Solina
Strings

Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25431
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhandluc View Post
Yeah, like seriously who even allowed that [email protected] interface inconsistency to get past beta testing??

🀯
As much as I agree with the sentiment, I'm sure you could have said it just as well without the ableist language.

Last edited by Ataya; 27th November 2020 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25432
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikeRivera View Post
IMOO Akai is 100% focused in 3.0, no bug fixes because 2.x is dead and their efforts are all in 3.0.

Drumsynth was released because it was ready and Akai try to sell some units in Christmas. Even the interface looks better integrated with the interface of 3.0, maybe some bugs like pad mute etc. are related with Drumsynth was originally designed for 3.0 and was quickly adapted to 2.9.
I can see this


As long as they dont fix the instant track mute Im pretty happy with the roadmap so far
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25433
dsy
Gear Head
 
Quote:
IMOO Akai is 100% focused in 3.0, no bug fixes because 2.x is dead and their efforts are all in 3.0.
Drumsynth was released because it was ready and Akai try to sell some units in Christmas. Even the interface looks better integrated with the interface of 3.0, maybe some bugs like pad mute etc. are related with Drumsynth was originally designed for 3.0 and was quickly adapted to 2.9.
That would explain a lot of things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
That's subjective. The MPC ones sound punchier and nicer imo. I personally never thought the drumsynths in Maschine sounded particularly good. I have Maschine open and the MPC software open and when comparing both on the same machine they just don't hold up.
I'm comparing Maschine+ and MPC standalone, not the software version.
But I agree, its totally subjective.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25434
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
That would explain a lot of things.




I'm comparing Maschine+ and MPC standalone, not the software version.
But I agree, its totally subjective.
Same drum synths, standalone or hybrid
Old 27th November 2020
  #25435
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
just imagine if there were no plugins, no splice, no drum synth, where the new Mpcs and Force Development would be now whooohoooooo...


Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25436
Gear Guru
 
kcearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
just imagine if there were no plugins, no splice, no drum synth, where the new Mpcs and Force Development would be now whooohoooooo...


No Splice? Are you fckn mental?


Whats splice?
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25437
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
That would explain a lot of things.




I'm comparing Maschine+ and MPC standalone, not the software version.
But I agree, its totally subjective.
They are the exact same. Not sure why standalone or software makes a difference. It's not like Maschine+ is sprinkling some magic pixie dust in standalone that they are not doing in the Maschine software. The same with Akai. Other than the better sounding timestretch in the software there is no discernible difference in sound between standalone and the software.

Do you think Massive/FM8/Kontakt sounds better in Maschine+ than it does in the Maschine software? Sorry I have to call you out on that comment because it's just silly.

Ninja'd by KCearl
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25438
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataya View Post
As much as I agree with the sentiment, I'm sure you could have said it just as well without the ableist language.
My apologies to all turntableists, I understand that to scratch well requires movement both forwards AND backwards... but in the case of software design, generally the latter is best avoided if the intent is to improve the user experience...
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25439
Lives for gear
 
wavejockey's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Do you really think the software dev. VP is managing the strategy of the company?
He may attend to the meetings, why not but he doesn't take the decisions.
And I'm pretty sure the strategy is marketing oriented, not user oriented.
you are correct, i don't think he comes up with the strategy
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25440
Deleted 199ae7d πŸŽ™οΈ
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikeRivera View Post
IMOO uAkai is 100% focused in 3.0, no bug fixes because 2.x is dead and their efforts are all in 3.0.
While I really hope this is true, is there any evidence that 3.0 exists?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 938 views: 43078
Avatar for Bender412
Bender412 17th January 2017
replies: 170 views: 20549
Avatar for bobbybland
bobbybland 6 days ago
replies: 104 views: 17611
Avatar for Monotremata
Monotremata 29th December 2019
replies: 7519 views: 603229
Avatar for Captain 8
Captain 8 4 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump