The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC live
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
Which firmware version were you on prior to the update to 2.8.1?
I'm not sure since it's the first time I'd updated it. Previous to this, I had one of the firmwares that hadn't added MIDI input channel assignments yet.
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdargile View Post

hope it helps... In the other aspects, the MPC live is the better dawless machine you can use for your project as you describe it ( and mine
That helped A LOT! I can see it got serveral options to suit my needs.
Thank you!
Actually i think i will go with the one instead of the live (cause its cheaper and i don’t need the extra outs). Only thing im worried about is lack of the battery. Not for playing around, just for feel safer live so that in case of any sudden power supply issue it won’t shut down/reboot
Old 17th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraLeVipere View Post
Only thing i'm worried about is lack of the battery. Not for playing around, just for feel safer live so that in case of any sudden power supply issue it won’t shut down/reboot
The battery is truly a valuable asset on the Live 2. It's a built-in UPS, not only helping smooth things out with unreliable house power when you're at a gig, but even in your home studio. If you've ever been composing when a storm rolls through, or the grid is being taxed because of a heatwave, or you just have crappy wiring in your house or studio, you'll know what I mean.

The One has other limitations, such as you can't transfer data between your computer and your MPC One via USB - it ignores any attached storage in Controller Mode. With the MPC Live 2, any attached storage shows up as removable drives in your computer when in Controller Mode, saving you the hassle of removing drives, etc.
Gear Addict

Quote:
That helped A LOT! I can see it got serveral options to suit my needs.
Thank you!
Actually i think i will go with the one instead of the live (cause its cheaper and i don’t need the extra outs). Only thing im worried about is lack of the battery. Not for playing around, just for feel safer live so that in case of any sudden power supply issue it won’t shut down/reboot
The battery is a good backup, but if you have a blackout during a performance probably a lot of gear will restart and stop playing, so I think is a small safety loss in a real world situation. The one have some hardware buttons probably better for a live performance. Both have its pros and cons, having the Live I will feel good with the one, except for losing an external out to the metronome what I use to mute and unmute it in a mixer while recording.

I don't know if there are better options out there, but I think what you want to do is doable with a MPC
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know but the thing is I can't be focused on the mpc the whole time cause i have to play other things. I tried to work that way with the beatstep pro but I have too many another things to do in the same time (and, worse than that, that thing didn't even have a screen where you can name your patterns, So I had to remember for every song what each number was. When you have 12 songs it's a nightmare)

So it's nice that the mpc has an actual screen where I can see what each pattern is what, but still, I need a song mode where it can take care of the song from start to finish AND the option to repeat/skip on the fly, mostly in case of emergencies. Let's say my singer f***s up and start singing one pattern late, I would like to have the chance to come in on the fly and repeat the pattern one more time so that she won't get to the chorus off time
I use it for live shows all the time. Don't use song mode, just navigate between sequences. There is a pad shortcut to the next sequence menu, so you can jump in and out of that very fast. This workflow basically allows for any arrangement you please. It does mean that you have to periodically select which sequence is coming next, but don't forget you can join sequences if you wish, so you can have a combination of longer song-like sections with loopable sections.
Deleted 39941f3 🎙️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I use it for live shows all the time. Don't use song mode, just navigate between sequences. There is a pad shortcut to the next sequence menu, so you can jump in and out of that very fast. This workflow basically allows for any arrangement you please. It does mean that you have to periodically select which sequence is coming next, but don't forget you can join sequences if you wish, so you can have a combination of longer song-like sections with loopable sections.
Yeah and changing sequences is quantised, so you just have to push a button or move the dial in any position of the timeline you are and it changes automatically at first bar.
Same with audio tracks, if you program punch in/out at beginning/end of sequences.
Then you can play with track mutes and qlinks during the sequence.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
...don't forget you can join sequences if you wish, so you can have a combination of longer song-like sections with loopable sections.
Sorry, do you mean manually merging sequences ahead of time (say, copy/pasting the data from seq 2 to seq 1), or do you mean you can set seq 1 and 2 to each play the other when they finish playing? (A bit like a big version of Ableton's 'clip follow' thing)

If it's the latter, that's new to me and good to know!
Old 17th October 2020
Damn, FYI I think beta 10 of Big Sur broke the Network MIDI driver.. MPC still works great in controller mode though.. Hopefully they dont take a year to update that when the OS gets released.
Lives for gear

Does anyone’s Live have random pad triggers when setting their pad velocity sensitivity and threshold to 1?
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew 71 View Post
Sorry, do you mean manually merging sequences ahead of time (say, copy/pasting the data from seq 2 to seq 1), or do you mean you can set seq 1 and 2 to each play the other when they finish playing? (A bit like a big version of Ableton's 'clip follow' thing)

If it's the latter, that's new to me and good to know!
You can either manually merge sequences ahead of time in the song menu (creating a new, longer sequence), OR you can set one and only one sequence to play at the conclusion of the currently running sequence, either in the Next Seq menu or from the Main menu. The latter I find very useful in live performance because I can adjust arrangements to be whatever I please on the fly, however, as far as I know that it is the limit of its current arrangement capacity. It enables a great deal but it's certainly not everything to everyone.

There are an assortment of other tricks though - you can bounce out a sequence to audio and then use it as a clip program for example, this opens up some arrangement versatility, esp because clips can be played in conjunction with sequences. There are all the track mute and pad mute options which are mainstays of MPC performance, predating the Live.
Old 18th October 2020
Deleted 39941f3 🎙️
So the sends are pre/insert and pre/fader.
Any chance or workaround to have them post/insert and post/fader?
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto View Post
Does anyone’s Live have random pad triggers when setting their pad velocity sensitivity and threshold to 1?
Yeh. Thats been a thing since the device came out unfortunately. It's best to set it to maybe two away from most sensitive.
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Thanks for the response. With both threshold & sensitivity at 1 it’s most responsive. I definitely prefer having access to this most responsive state, even with the random pad triggers. I’ll find a compromise setting.

So, I’m now guessing it’s more of a physical attribute, now known, rather than a software-only bug that can be resolved.

Akai: If the random pad triggers can be removed while maintaining the same responsiveness, that would be excellent.
Old 21st October 2020
Lives for gear

Hi all...so, I’ve had my MPC Live (1) for a few years ago now, but it hasn’t quite found its way into my workflow, and I’ve not stayed up with updates (or this thread). However, looking to add it back into the rig now, and I have a couple quick questions:

1) I see with the 2.8 update, you can finally sequence over USB. How is this working for people? I know this was late coming, and only released a few months ago, so I’m curious how reliable people are finding it.
2) can you also send audio over USB in standalone mode? It would be very handy if I could connect both audio and midi to my setup simultaneously over USB, tho not a dealbreaker.

Feel free to @ me, since I may not see this immediately but any insight would be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to finish my current setup.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Hi all...so, I’ve had my MPC Live (1) for a few years ago now, but it hasn’t quite found its way into my workflow, and I’ve not stayed up with updates (or this thread). However, looking to add it back into the rig now, and I have a couple quick questions:

1) I see with the 2.8 update, you can finally sequence over USB. How is this working for people? I know this was late coming, and only released a few months ago, so I’m curious how reliable people are finding it.
2) can you also send audio over USB in standalone mode? It would be very handy if I could connect both audio and midi to my setup simultaneously over USB, tho not a dealbreaker.

Feel free to @ me, since I may not see this immediately but any insight would be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to finish my current setup.
1. It works fine. Try it!
2. No.
Old 22nd October 2020
Lives for gear

Hey guys!

Does anyone know what’s the note/event limit on the MPC live/x/one? For example I know that the MPC 1000 has a 100k limit, so how about the live/x/one
Thank you!
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hear, hear, I made this nifty tool that will convert your Maschine expansion Kits into AKAI Force and MPC. Even with Color pads!

This is currently in its very fist version.
It is Free like in beer, but donations are appreciated.

Try it, let me know how it works and if there are any issues.

https://mediachance.com/midimacros/maschine2mpc.html

Very simple to operate, just drag a Single Maschine Expansion Folder (again: a single installed maschine Expansion folder, it works on each expansion separately) to it, the rest should be done automatically.

Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Addict
I can confirm Maschine2MPC installs and works as advertised- what a great job. I have it stand alone in my MPC Live- no preview is the only downside, not sure if you get that if you use the AKAI MPC Expansion maker?

Its a really useful tool for people like me, I have Komplete 13 so lots of expansions I wasn't using much as I prefer MPC over using my Mikro

I will be making a donation

Next step- snip image for pack from NI site and convert to a full MPC expansion!?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Hear, hear, I made this nifty tool that will convert your Maschine expansion Kits into AKAI Force and MPC. Even with Color pads!

This is currently in its very fist version.
It is Free like in beer, but donations are appreciated.

Try it, let me know how it works and if there are any issues.

https://mediachance.com/midimacros/maschine2mpc.html

Very simple to operate, just drag a Single Maschine Expansion Folder (again: a single installed maschine Expansion folder, it works on each expansion separately) to it, the rest should be done automatically.

Seems to be Windows only which is unfortunate.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Seems to be Windows only which is unfortunate.
you might look for winebottler, which is a mac program to repackage windows executables into mac executables using wine. Its not perfect, but I use it on over a dozen old windows based synth editors. It would be worth trying on this, to see if it works.

EDIT: FYI, I test bottled it up, and it seems to work, but I don't have any maschine content to test it on.
Gear Maniac

Got my MPC Live MK2 today. I'm thoroughly impressed with everything. This is my first MPC so I'm far from a power user and never will be one. I have no idea what you guys are complaining about half the time, lol.

But thing is just so useful. The speakers are perfectly fine for what they are, more impressive than I was expecting really. It's just awesome to have all this at your fingertips in such a tactile manner with plenty of I/O, studio integration, and for the first time, true mobility. It blows my mind to have a pro piece of kit that I just turn on and make stuff with 24-7, wherever I'm at. I love my IPad but this is a more perfect solution and frees up my tablet for other things. So great. I haven't had this much fun in a long time, just going around sampling random crap to manipulate.

Sorry, fan/Stan rant over. But I highly recommend this gear, no matter the genre or style of music you make. I also think this can be of use to filmmakers and other content creators.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonis Rogue View Post
Got my MPC Live MK2 today. I'm thoroughly impressed with everything. This is my first MPC so I'm far from a power user and never will be one. I have no idea what you guys are complaining about half the time, lol.

But [this] thing is just so useful. The speakers are perfectly fine for what they are, more impressive than I was expecting really. It's just awesome to have all this at your fingertips in such a tactile manner with plenty of I/O, studio integration, and for the first time, true mobility. It blows my mind to have a pro piece of kit that I just turn on and make stuff with 24-7, wherever I'm at. I love my IPad but this is a more perfect solution and frees up my tablet for other things. So great. I haven't had this much fun in a long time, just going around sampling random crap to manipulate.

Sorry, fan/Stan rant over. But I highly recommend this gear, no matter the genre or style of music you make. I also think this can be of use to filmmakers and other content creators.
100% agree - the Live 2 is freaking awesome!
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

What's everybody's opinion on the speaker on the MPC LIVE 2?

1. How good does the speaker sound on a scale of 1-10?

2. If the speaker suddenly stopped working would you miss it?
Gear Maniac
Regarding iPads, how do you connect them to mpc? Bluetooth midi is total garbage so I’m going to get a camera connection kit so..... what’s the difference between these two models?

And also, since 2.8 mpc is midi usb class compliant so with one of those above and a usb a-a type cable I would be done, right?

Thanks!!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzslut View Post
Regarding iPads, how do you connect them to mpc? Bluetooth midi is total garbage so I’m going to get a camera connection kit so..... what’s the difference between these two models?

And also, since 2.8 mpc is midi usb class compliant so with one of those above and a usb a-a type cable I would be done, right?

Thanks!!
Get the first one since you can charge your iPad while connecting usb interfaces.
Also ,you will definitely need a usb midi interface since the USB port on the MPC is for using it in controller mode , not standalone .

PS. midi over Ethernet is not working with the ipad .
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by korakios View Post
Also ,you will definitely need a usb midi interface since the USB port on the MPC is for using it in controller mode , not standalone.
I’m not sure I’m understanding, I have a Roland sh01a and it sends and receives midi from the mpc USB port directly without interface... I suppose with an iPad it would be the same?
Gear Nut

Quote:
I’m not sure I’m understanding, I have a Roland sh01a and it sends and receives midi from the mpc USB port directly without interface... I suppose with an iPad it would be the same?
No, it doesn’t work thru usb . An ipad isn’t a midi interface to host it on Mpc like your sh01 on the usb A port
Also if you connect it to the other USB B port (like you do on a PC), you have to put your MPC in controller mode .
I’d go on Bluetooth and sync via Link , but my Mpc One doesn’t support Bluetooth....
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by korakios View Post
No, it doesn’t work thru usb . An ipad isn’t a midi interface to host it on Mpc like your sh01 on the usb A port
Also if you connect it to the other USB B port (like you do on a PC), you have to put your MPC in controller mode .
I’d go on Bluetooth and sync via Link , but my Mpc One doesn’t support Bluetooth....
Ok got it, thanks for the clarification

Bluetooth on the live is OK if you want to use a Wireless keyboard for example, but for everything else nothing like the good old midi din or usb
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ok got it, thanks for the clarification

Bluetooth on the live is OK if you want to use a Wireless keyboard for example, but for everything else nothing like the good old midi din or usb
If you don’t send clock or deal with SysEx messages those cheap interfaces are descent for note on/off events with few CCs
Attached Thumbnails
MPC live-da5b9649-452b-404e-868d-5c62979e939d.jpg  
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASICE View Post
What's everybody's opinion on the speaker on the MPC LIVE 2?

1. How good does the speaker sound on a scale of 1-10?

2. If the speaker suddenly stopped working would you miss it?

1) They're actually pretty decent little speakers. A lot better sounding than I thought they would be. At first I was thinking it was a dumb idea and nothing more than a gimmick. But, actually listening to them, they sound pretty good. I have done some mixes on them and it does hold up.

2)Maybe! Depends! I have a pair o really nice speakers but with the built-in ones I don't have to switch cables in and out from my other gear.
📝 Reply