The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC live
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

yeah, that's it. Make a single note seq in the step seq with a precise velocity value, then just sample while playing the seq looped until enough round robins have been captured. Rename sample, readjust note velo value in step seq, repeat.

I wish there was a "chop to pad layers" function in sample edit
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

or you could use "sample aid" to duties of triggering
http://www.philizound.co.uk/freebies.../software.html
fully configurable
Old 2 weeks ago
VDB
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
Sequence what?
The nord drum
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
The nord drum
OK, I get you. I plan to sequence it, I want to use the MPC as an output expander as it only has 2 outs, so something like,

Sample kick and percussion from the Nord and play it from the MPC.

Have hats and snare playing live from the Nord.

If only the Nord had 6 outputs, I haven't ruled out getting another just for the 2 extra outputs yet as I could probably make do with 4. Just seems an unnecessary expense when I could get an MPC Live for similar money, achieve the same thing and get a lot more besides.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
...How the auto-sampling when sampling a drum machine? I could only find videos of auto sampling synths and laying them out chromatically across the pads. Can I round robin 4 samples at several different velocities or is it 4 samples to a pad in total?
My idea was to do 2 passes because of cymbals. And uncheck "create keygroup" and create the drum program manually.

I hope they eventually add a drum program option.
Old 1 week ago
fresh jam with mpc live as a main vessel. not much happening though, mostly trackmutes - got distracted by other stuff )
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The screen on my Live has started to freeze momentarily when switching between sequences with the jog wheel. Audio doesn't seem affected. Anybody else experience this?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergingStates View Post
The screen on my Live has started to freeze momentarily when switching between sequences with the jog wheel. Audio doesn't seem affected. Anybody else experience this?
No. I'm on 2.7.2; which firmware are you on? Also, hit the System Resources button in the upper right and see how much CPU and Memory is being used when you experience the phenomena.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I'm on 2.7.2 and it happens even when nothing is loaded, I just tried it straight from booting up. Hmm.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm on 2.7.2 and it happens even when nothing is loaded, I just tried it straight from booting up. Hmm.
Sounds fishy. Have you tampered with any of the default content that came installed on the integrated storage? You might try reinstalling the 8.5 GB factory content image and see if that remedies the issue. PM me for more details.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
2.7.2 is pretty unstable for me, mostly in controller mode. I've had multiple instances as a plug in in DAWs where it doesn't load the banks, remains empty. One song it load the banks and refuses to remember the programs, I've had to manually set the programs for each sequence.

I have to say the absolute worst thing to me about Akai is Get Satisfaction, the support website and the beta program are both run by that POS software, and IMO completely ruin the end users ability to help Akai with their products and to get help. I have no idea why they stick with it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
2.7.2 is pretty unstable for me, mostly in controller mode. I've had multiple instances as a plug in in DAWs where it doesn't load the banks, remains empty. One song it load the banks and refuses to remember the programs, I've had to manually set the programs for each sequence.

I have to say the absolute worst thing to me about Akai is Get Satisfaction, the support website and the beta program are both run by that POS software, and IMO completely ruin the end users ability to help Akai with their products and to get help. I have no idea why they stick with it.
The beta program is not run on Get Satisfaction. The beta forum is on https://www.discourse.org/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Anyone uses Live to sequence external synths? How tight is the sync with the internal engine? Is it in MPC 3000 league as a standalone MIDI sequencer?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Anyone uses Live to sequence external synths? How tight is the sync with the internal engine? Is it in MPC 3000 league as a standalone MIDI sequencer?
Not tried 3000 but Live seems tighter than 1000 (for external midi) to me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxdsm View Post
The beta program is not run on Get Satisfaction. The beta forum is on https://www.discourse.org/
Perfect, they chose more than one completely dysfunctional platforms to post bug reports to.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
nope.. but then again, which modern box is? MPC 3k & 4k are still the ones to beat, after all this time.

However, for my needs, the timing is decent enough. Subjective, as usual.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I run over a dozen synths with my live, never once had a problem.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post
I run over a dozen synths with my live, never once had a problem.
Only over a dozen?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
Sounds fishy. Have you tampered with any of the default content that came installed on the integrated storage? You might try reinstalling the 8.5 GB factory content image and see if that remedies the issue. PM me for more details.
I did replace the micro sd card last year and open it up with a linux app to delete some content. But it's been running great for a long time and a few different firmware updates.

I'll pm you if it becomes really bas thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have it sequencing five external synths, works great.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkozyra View Post
I have it sequencing five external synths, works great.
Same here, everything is about as rock solid as you could want it to be. People claiming the 3000 to have this mystically "tight" timing are funny. Does it all line up and hit on the beat? Its tight enough then.

Im sorry but nobody is listening to their synths and going 'Dude did you hear that? That kick drum is 1.67 milliseconds behind the beat!!!!' The magical mythical MPC-60 even falls apart when you overwhelm the sequencer, its great for that 'my drummer is drunk' feel.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Only over a dozen?
Yeah, I have 15 synths, but I keep some in my bedroom, the rest stay put in the studio.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Offtopic:
Hey guys, a lot of time not coming here, is everybody fine and healthy? Good luck to all, and your families!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
tampered

You mean, executing a command that the machine offers as valid?
(Sorry couldn't help myself )
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I did replace the micro sd card last year and open it up with a linux app to delete some content. But it's been running great for a long time and a few different firmware updates.

I'll pm you if it becomes really bas thanks
WHAT? OK, this right here - THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM. Akai has repeatedly said that if you tamper at all with the content on the integrated storage, it will cause stability issues and other problems down the line.

You absolutely need to run the 8.57 GB restoration image from Akai. Afterwards, do NOT mess with any content on it. At all. Just leave it alone.

If you need the file, reach out to Akai tech support (or PM me for details).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wald View Post

You mean, executing a command that the machine offers as valid?
(Sorry couldn't help myself )
Hah! No, I mean "open it up with a linux app to delete some content".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post
Yeah, I have 15 synths, but I keep some in my bedroom, the rest stay put in the studio.
I was kiiinda joking; I have a few myself
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hah! No, I mean "open it up with a linux app to delete some content".
So are you saying it is ok to delete the internal content as long it is done from the MPC hardware?
Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So are you saying it is ok to delete the internal content as long it is done from the MPC hardware?
Thanks!

Did you read my response above to EmergingStates?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks!
Simplest approach is just to do what the MPC Bible says—save your stuff only to some kind of external storage (card, usb drive, etc.).

Leave the data on the internal disk alone.

You can’t stream anything from the internal disk anyway.

——————

File Transfer Restrictions (Internal Drive)

Your MPC ships with an internal drive which contains a sound library and a folder called ‘MPC Documents’ which includes ready-made sub folders to store your own content. However it’s very important to realise that while you can save content to this drive, Akai have provided no way of ‘externally’ accessing the content you save to it, making file transfers and backups of the internal drive very difficult. So generally speaking I advise you consider the internal drive as a ‘read-only’ drive that is used to store the Akai sound content and instead save your work to an ‘attached disk’.

What is an ‘Attached Disk?

An ‘attached disk’ is any disk that is directly connected to your MPC and subsequently recognised in the BROWSER. This can be:

• An SD card connected to the SD card slot at the back of the unit; I’d advise you buy a good quality branded ‘class 10’ SD card.

• A USB flash disk or USB portable hard drive connected to any of the USB ports

• A SATA disk (typically an SSD drive) installed inside the MPC via the provided access port underneath your unit (MPC Live and MPC X only). Before a drive can be used in your MPC it should be formatted to a recognised disk format. For all disks I would normally recommend exFAT format which is compatible with all computer OS. “

-MPC Bible, v. 1.4.5, p.724
(c) Andy Avgousti (MPC Tutor)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search