The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC live
Old 25th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
You know, that’s what I find so off putting about these MPCs is that it’s been out for @ 3 years and I’ve watched hundreds of videos. In all that time, I haven’t seen ONE video of a person writing a song with guitar using a bass, piano, vocals, synths, with verses, chorus, and a Bridge. Just a stanadard pop or rock song. Not even someone with a mixer mixing a full band with mics and capturing a stereo practice mix. Nothing even close to traditional music. It’s all been 4-8 bars of repeating loops.

For such a creative and capable machine, it really does make a person wonder what’s going on. And why. I realize my examples aren’t what the MPCs are aimed at, but not ONE person is recording acoustic guitar and writing full songs with this production machine? Maybe they just aren’t posting videos, but I just find that odd.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Cheers
To be honest 10 years ago, even 5 or 6 I would've been doing just that. But Im in one of those 'cycles' where I could care less about my guitar rig so no Godflesh style industrial metal noise from me right now. The MPC would've fit in perfect with our writing style too, I wish I would've gotten one ages ago instead of the SR-16 we were using. Now that I think about it, I have a couple of left over 'demos' I was working on about 5 years ago I should get to finishing. Maybe the MPC will actually push me to finish them.
Old 25th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
You know, that’s what I find so off putting about these MPCs is that it’s been out for @ 3 years and I’ve watched hundreds of videos. In all that time, I haven’t seen ONE video of a person writing a song with guitar using a bass, piano, vocals, synths, with verses, chorus, and a Bridge. Just a stanadard pop or rock song. Not even someone with a mixer mixing a full band with mics and capturing a stereo practice mix. Nothing even close to traditional music. It’s all been 4-8 bars of repeating loops.

For such a creative and capable machine, it really does make a person wonder what’s going on. And why. I realize my examples aren’t what the MPCs are aimed at, but not ONE person is recording acoustic guitar and writing full songs with this production machine? Maybe they just aren’t posting videos, but I just find that odd.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Cheers
I use to record vocals and e-drums, but I don't make videos!!
Old 25th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
.. disk streaming is a software issue...
I might not have been clear worded in my post, that's what I was trying to get at.

While the streaming itself may not be that taxing, it's how the MPC Software handles processing of the things being streamed.

I guess the even bigger point I'm trying to make is while we can try to figure out why certain things work the way they work, there's no reason to get upset when a feature isn't included in an update, because no features were ever promised.

And quite honestly every update we get is a blessing because Akai could say, "screw it" and never release another update.
Old 26th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vigilanti View Post
I might not have been clear worded in my post, that's what I was trying to get at.

While the streaming itself may not be that taxing, it's how the MPC Software handles processing of the things being streamed.

I guess the even bigger point I'm trying to make is while we can try to figure out why certain things work the way they work, there's no reason to get upset when a feature isn't included in an update, because no features were ever promised.

And quite honestly every update we get is a blessing because Akai could say, "screw it" and never release another update.
Yup look at the pioneer...does it mean it cant be used and isnt still a great instrument?

I think in this day and age we get utterly hung up on updates. In previous times flaws were just that, flaws...they were part of your purchasing decision. Now its buy a product then update it to where you/I want it...or its "typical <insert brand name>"
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
To be honest 10 years ago, even 5 or 6 I would've been doing just that. But Im in one of those 'cycles' where I could care less about my guitar rig so no Godflesh style industrial metal noise from me right now. The MPC would've fit in perfect with our writing style too, I wish I would've gotten one ages ago instead of the SR-16 we were using. Now that I think about it, I have a couple of left over 'demos' I was working on about 5 years ago I should get to finishing. Maybe the MPC will actually push me to finish them.
Did you ever get the Live? I know you have been using one of the controllers for a while. Dang, the MPC Live is $1000 dollars now, kind of tempting. For some reason ive been drawn to the DJS1000, I think it’s the design and simplicity. I’m curious what NAMM will bring this year in the groovebox department.
Old 26th December 2019
Gear Head

Im having issues with the Akai Network MIDI ports not showing up in Ableton. Anybody else? Im on Windows.
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Yup look at the pioneer...does it mean it cant be used and isnt still a great instrument?

I think in this day and age we get utterly hung up on updates. In previous times flaws were just that, flaws...they were part of your purchasing decision. Now its buy a product then update it to where you/I want it...or its "typical <insert brand name>"
Exactly. When you spent a grand or two on that piece of hardware that's what you were stuck with.

The MPC Live/X is still the best MPC to date by many peoples standards and even if they stopped releasing updates it would still be the best MPC to date by many peoples standards.
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holl1f3ld View Post
Im having issues with the Akai Network MIDI ports not showing up in Ableton. Anybody else? Im on Windows.
Did you download the drivers from the Akai website? They were a separate download.

If you did, then I'm not sure what's going on. They do work though. I've noticed some funky behavior though. I'm not sure if they are bugs or whatnot yet though.
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Can't disagree with that, that's my thoughts exactly. I'm also pretty certain when a company man says things are being worked on, it's a good indication they at least want to go in that direct right?

Anyway merry xmas, this was just posted at KVR, looks to be a massive free drum library, like ridiculously big! 7.19GB!

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMus...ection_on_the/
Old 26th December 2019
Quote:
Anyway merry xmas, this was just posted at KVR, looks to be a massive free drum library, like ridiculously big! 7.19GB!

That collection has been floating around for ages now.. You would probably be better off downloading the giant one from Reverb. Those samples came from everyone and their mother, and some of them sound like they were sampled and processed by a blind and deaf 4 year old heh.
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
That collection has been floating around for ages now.. You would probably be better off downloading the giant one from Reverb. Those samples came from everyone and their mother, and some of them sound like they were sampled and processed by a blind and deaf 4 year old heh.
I honestly haven't met a drum library that isn't half crap.

Samples from Mars do a good job, but most have waaay too much filler. The Akai ones are pretty much a huge WTF??? you have 8 banks of 16 pads to fill, and 90% of them are one or two bank patches, with a ton of garbage samples of synth hits and other things I could care less about.

There are specific patches I was looking for when I stumbled across this today, so I was happy.
Old 26th December 2019
Quote:
That collection has been floating around for ages now.. You would probably be better off downloading the giant one from Reverb.
do you have a link to this?
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post
do you have a link to this?

https://reverb.com/software/samples-...ete-collection

(google: "reverb drum samples")
Old 26th December 2019
Old 26th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvlakiSpace View Post
So it is allowed to have something like mr.shadowkast post here without any problem?
And being called captain misery in the middle of a technical conversation without any problem?
I already reported them.
Nothing happened.
Have a nice christmas.
Great work indeed.

< Action was taken yesterday.
Can you please drop it, and talk about the MPC Live?
I'll delete posts that aren't. Thanks.
Merry Christmas >
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't disagree with that, that's my thoughts exactly. I'm also pretty certain when a company man says things are being worked on, it's a good indication they at least want to go in that direct right?

When they were designing the software for the MPC Live/X they probably put cost over function because they weren't sure if it was going to be profitable not.

Most of their development budget was probably spent on making functional custom MPC software that runs on Linux and ARM SoC hardware.

It looks to me that they want to implement the bigger features like disk streaming and omni-MIDI. The question is how much of the MPC software needs to be rewritten to get these features because the goal of the first version of the software was to just get something performant and functioning.

Anyway, Merry Christmas. Have fun with that drum library.
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

And while I might be a little late, Merry Christmas to everyone else, too.

Akai came through with that 2.7 update just in time for Christmas.
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoless View Post
Would really really love to have glide on keygroup programs. Missing that feature more and more...
i read a thread on getsatisfaction forum where the AKAI mod confesses it is not even on the drawing board nor the consideration list
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
When it comes to Glide/Portamento:

Check this out.

Get your pattern and all that. Go into grid mode and at the bottom where it says "Velocity" select it.

Select Add New and you can select "Track", "Program" or the "Pad"

In "track" you can select MIDI CC and select number 9 which is portamento.

In the "Pad" selection you can select the tuning parameter and draw in slopes to get a nice a transition.

Also, you can send the LFO to the Pitch of the pad and get your Glide/Portamento that way.

So there ya go. Folks waiting on a Glide/Portamento update should probably stop waiting around for it and start using it since it's already there.
if you have a HW synt that supports this MIDI cc (or can assign MIDI cc 9 to pitch) this is all great

unfortunatly, the MPC live/x can't
(the roland TB-03 can e.g.)
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
^ My old Emu does it as well, I don't think it can be turned off though. It always plays through to the end when you release the note.
with E4x & ultra's you can change this behavior from EOS 4.5 & up
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathin View Post
@ Praxisaxis & @ tiger001 What is wrong with the MIDI? I am hopefully just getting the MPC live today so it would be good to know. Thanks!
when slaved (to MIDI clock), some functionality is limited

it is not the best MPC in terms of MIDI timings at this moment / yet

some resistant bugs relevant to MIDI remain (to be solved? some of these remain there from the beginning, so i wouldn't bet any money on a fix)

the fact that there's still no MIDI implementation chart says a lot i think
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I’m not going to complain about non-core, extra features so long as they don’t overburden the limited hardware. Every time they update the firmware it cuts into the RAM a bit, so it’s a legit concern. What am I going to do if I can’t load an older project under new firmware because usable RAM goes down 10 percent? The other issue is that we’d prefer Akai to have its employee’s time and effort improving what’s there, rather than on r&d for stuff nobody’s asking for. But this is an old topic in this thread so I won’t yammer in about it any more.
f y i : the percussa SSP modular has the same processor as the MPC (and also runs on linux) and is able to load xxx granular synths with live input/sampling and a myriad of modulating parameters
Old 27th December 2019
I noticed a somewhat irritating behaviour when you have big sample count in folder (talking about 1000+ samples). When I open the folder in browser and start scrolling immediately it always returns me to the first sample. This behaviour lasts for around 10 seconds until I can normally go through sounds. Samples are stored on 500gb Samsung SSD, operating standalone, was on 2.6 but pretty sure it's 2.7 as well.

It seems like the software is indexing samples every time I open the folder and because of long file count it takes a while.

Not sure if it's expected behaviour, some kind of limitation or a bug...
Old 27th December 2019
Quote:
I noticed a somewhat irritating behaviour when you have big sample count in folder (talking about 1000+ samples). When I open the folder in browser and start scrolling immediately it always returns me to the first sample. This behaviour lasts for around 10 seconds until I can normally go through sounds. Samples are stored on 500gb Samsung SSD, operating standalone, was on 2.6 but pretty sure it's 2.7 as well.

It seems like the software is indexing samples every time I open the folder and because of long file count it takes a while.

yeah, it would be nice if you could set a default directory in settings, rather than have to wait for ITS default to fully load the samples before you can even move.
Old 27th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
when slaved (to MIDI clock), some functionality is limited

it is not the best MPC in terms of MIDI timings at this moment / yet

some resistant bugs relevant to MIDI remain (to be solved? some of these remain there from the beginning, so i wouldn't bet any money on a fix)

the fact that there's still no MIDI implementation chart says a lot i think
No worries, now I got it so that's it I don't think I will encounter these bugs too soon so I will cross that bridge when and if I have to. Thanks for letting me know though

By the way guys I made a little Drum & Bass piece with the MPC Live and the MFB Dominion Club. Recorded the synth directly to the MPC, imported a wav file of Pantera's five minutes alone for chopping and used some drum samples. Mixing was done in Logic and Reverb, EQ, Compression etc. are from there (and a friend used some analogue gear for mastering). Here you go :

https://metaklang.bandcamp.com/releases
Old 28th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Totally agree.

Now the real crummy one is if the samples are not numbered in a sortable way. For a few of the libraries I had from the past I had to write some scripts to rename them with some sortable numbering. Even crummier if the files don't even have any kind of numbering at all. I have a few of these, also from the past. At least for me, it seems to be related to past libraries, since now I automatically (re-)number everything while making.

Must've been something that triggered this behavior, so let's get the tools to aid with this somehow. Since it appears to sort the files anyways, maybe show an index number on the left? Perhaps even make some way to quick navigate to a specified index, or decimal place holder index (hundreds, thousands, etc.) ? Remembering would be nice, but that likely means for only the last folder.

Another thing is the up-one-folder button. It eat space from the path name and is positioned away from the rest of folder navigation, almost counter intuitive. IMO, put it to the left of the file "types" which would also release more space for showing the path.

It would also be nice if I could just hide the left pane. I have never used it, and I suspect I never will. I have no use for it. I think that the entire browsing screen perhaps should be split into two "tabs" where one can set the default tab. That way there would be more room for better navigational tools, for both sides.

On a positive note, the 1-5 quick jump buttons are absolutely AWESOME!!!
Old 28th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektrobolt View Post
Another thing is the up-one-folder button. It eat space from the path name and is positioned away from the rest of folder navigation, almost counter intuitive. IMO, put it to the left of the file "types" which would also release more space for showing the path.

It would also be nice if I could just hide the left pane. I have never used it, and I suspect I never will. I have no use for it. I think that the entire browsing screen perhaps should be split into two "tabs" where one can set the default tab. That way there would be more room for better navigational tools, for both sides.

On a positive note, the 1-5 quick jump buttons are absolutely AWESOME!!!
Agree with both of these! The up button is in the stupidest spot heh. Put it right next to the favorites folders or add another button at the bottom next to Open and Load!

I never use the left pane either. The software has options for a separate Expansion/Content browser and the regular file browser. That should've been brought to the hardware too. Do it like the Audio/MIDI track tabs in the sequencer.

It would be nice if the Search feature actually searched your drive instead of JUST the folder youre in too.
Old 29th December 2019
Gear Head

Hi, copy events doesn't work to me, when I try to copy from one seq. to another seq. track nothing happen,
also quitting and loading my midi into a new proj. some time doesn't output midi!

Old 29th December 2019
Deleted d59bfd5 🎙️
MPC Live is discontinued at Thomann germany...wondering what that means?
Old 29th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d59bfd5 View Post
MPC Live is discontinued at Thomann germany...wondering what that means?
New model Brewing perhaps
With pads like the seaboard
& a hot plate for cooking prawns.
Something fishy going on here.
Interesting tho.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear