The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC live
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Ive had the lX and am waitin for the live arrive (see what i did there?) but with playing with them both in the shop on headphones they sound alike.No mystery.X will put out more signal tho which can translate to difference/more power perhaps.

Last edited by Goa-Dubs; 18th May 2019 at 07:01 AM..
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Had the X and playi ng with both in the shop with headphones and they sound the same basically.Maybe the X puts out more loudness which can translate to percieved sound.This is my cynical assessment Thank you

but the 2000 and the mpc 2000 sound different...............only due to the polish on the rackmount.Brighter....

edit-the great thing about the (MPC) 2000 is the muffled flat sound.Which is great for old hiphop/old house ect.The 2000 rack and the other racks XL ect are very dynamic with that sweet akai controlled sound/very punchy and bright.I like both the different sounds and as i say maybe down to the input amps.....i sample all my stuff on these machines so could be the reason why.But the X and the Live both sound similar to my unexperienced ear.Personally i feel there's too much going on on the X.I dont need all that control ultimately.Great idea tho....

Last edited by Goa-Dubs; 18th May 2019 at 12:45 AM..
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

But seriously i want this portamento/slide note and free flowing lfos......That would be alll i want now.
Old 18th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
Yes! I had the MPC Live and the MPC X right next to each other. Loaded same drum kit in each unit. The Live had like a lighter sound at the end. Almost making it sound a little hollow compared to the MPC X which had a snappier attack and a deeper detailed sound all the way through. How are you gonna tell me I heard nothing??? My ears are very sensitive. I hear the difference despite what you’re argument is.

I agree with the MPC1000 and MPC2500 statement. The 1000 was grimier and fuller sounding than the hollow, thin MPC2500.
Just curious, did you test it on a mixer? Separate channels?
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Are you sure the settings where identical?
And where did you connect them?
This is the first thing I'd ask. Even an almost undetectable difference in amplitude will make one sound different, and a listener will call it something other than amplitude.

If you wanted to test this you'd have to do it properly. You'd need to measure the outputs so they are identical amplitudes. You could output a bunch of different examples with encrypted file names so that you could mix them all up and do a blind test on yourself (or anyone else).

Until that happens, people can say what they please but I have no reason to accept it.

I have access to an X, I might try to do a video of this some time.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchapel View Post
I'll actually jump in a little further: is there a way to disable the ridiculous text when booting from battery power? Just give me the start button. No background, and no "lEt'S mAkE sOmE bEaTs!" text.
the start button on battery power is intentional though. If it powers on by accident (like in transit) it would drain your battery. If you don't hit "start" it eventually powers itself back down. It's a safeguard against accidental activation, and a sensible one.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
Settings were identical. I had them both running into a mixer. Stereo out for both going to one set of monitors.
Sure, but if you want to do this properly you've got to measure their output amplitudes. We will hear subtle differences in amplitude as something other than loudness before we recognise it as a difference in amplitude. (incidentally this is part of the explanation for the loudness wars). To do it right, you need to be a bit more clinical. This is to say nothing of bias and blind testing. . .
Old 18th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
the start button on battery power is intentional though. If it powers on by accident (like in transit) it would drain your battery. If you don't hit "start" it eventually powers itself back down. It's a safeguard against accidental activation, and a sensible one.
Ha, I never thought of that!
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Ha, I never thought of that!
It was in this thread about 3 trillion pages ago. Just goes to show that this thread is getting crazy long . . . its starting to build up some cyclic structures. . . it'll probably hit singularity soon and become full AI
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
You can turn it of though, which I did and the first thing that happened to me was that the power button got pushed in transit and and my live drained itself while I was working, my bag was pretty toastie when I opened it at lunchtime.. needless to say I turned it straight back on..
Old 18th May 2019
Quote:
It was in this thread about 3 trillion pages ago. Just goes to show that this thread is getting crazy long . . . its starting to build up some cyclic structures. . . it'll probably hit singularity soon and become full AI
It has its own weather system...Akai and GS will have to introduce an aircon system to prevent it raining three pages after every point update
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear

Sorry, nothing new to add but god damn please give us pitch envelopes.. it kills a lot of sound design possibilities for me.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Also, if you add pitch envelope, make it loopable, with different curves, etc. And the other envelopes too if possible.
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear

1. Make the MPC Live/X do all the things the old mpcs could do which should of been done from the very beginning (multi-timbral midi, pitch envelopes, free flow lfo, x-fade looping, proper midi in and out, proper EQ'ing[not as an effect] etc, etc..)

2. Automation lanes with proper editing abilities (no duh...)

3. If possible add VST's

Thats basically it. If it was stable/bug free and did this i would be so happy. I know the vsts's will 90% not happen BUT just get the ****in automation lanes working. Its the main reason to get this mpcs for standalone automations, and controller mode with the old legacy mpc abilities.

Basically take JJOS or the MPC 4000 and smash it together with with controller mode automation lanes i bet everyone would be greatful. Just having nice side chain compression has been a nice additon to the standalone mpc world. mad overdue.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Just dusted off my MPC Live. It's version 2.4 still.

Question:

I have a very simple line which consists of 3 notes. First beat is empty while beats 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 have notes on them. These are not quantized to grid and thus their timings vary a little. Now I want to copy these 3 notes exactly as they are to beat 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4.. and also to beat 3 and beat 4.

How would you guys go on about doing this quickly?

This is how I assumed it would work:

I'd set the play cursor on exactly beat 1.1.000, then select all notes, then hit SHIFT+Copy. Then I'd move the cursor to 2.1.000 and hit SHIFT+Paste. One would assume that the selected notes are relative to cursor position and thus pasted with all their relative timings intact.

Nope. Sadly that is not the case. Instead the copied notes get pasted at exactly the cursor position, thus completely messing up the timing.

This means my simple attempt at copying 3 notes becomes a huge chore and quite tricky to do. See, the first note in the sequence sits at exactly 1.2.349.. which means that to be able to 100% copy the 3 notes to the next beat at their correct relative positions, I would need to set the cursor to exactly 2.2.349 and then hit paste in this location. This is extremely cumbersome and silly.

A work around would be to quickly insert a "dummy note" at exactly 1.1.000 and then select that together with my intended 3 notes.. then paste these all at 2.1.000, 3.1.000 and 4.1.000 and then delete all the dummy notes. Again, what a silly work around to do such a simple thing.

I can not believe the play cursor is not being used as a relative copy/paste position marker. There are so many things that would be quicker to do if this was the case.

Am I missing something here?
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

Question:

I have a very simple line which consists of 3 notes. First beat is empty while beats 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 have notes on them. These are not quantized to grid and thus their timings vary a little. Now I want to copy these 3 notes exactly as they are to beat 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4.. and also to beat 3 and beat 4.

I'd set the play cursor on exactly beat 1.1.000, then select all notes, then hit SHIFT+Copy. Then I'd move the cursor to 2.1.000 and hit SHIFT+Paste. One would assume that the selected notes are relative to cursor position and thus pasted with all their relative timings intact.

Nope. Sadly that is not the case. Instead the copied notes get pasted at exactly the cursor position, thus completely messing up the timing.

This means my simple attempt at copying 3 notes becomes a huge chore and quite tricky to do. See, the first note in the sequence sits at exactly 1.2.349.. which means that to be able to 100% copy the 3 notes to the next beat at their correct relative positions, I would need to set the cursor to exactly 2.2.349 and then hit paste in this location. This is extremely cumbersome and silly.

A work around would be to quickly insert a "dummy note" at exactly 1.1.000 and then select that together with my intended 3 notes.. then paste these all at 2.1.000, 3.1.000 and 4.1.000 and then delete all the dummy notes. Again, what a silly work around to do such a simple thing.

I can not believe the play cursor is not being used as a relative copy/paste position marker. There are so many things that would be quicker to do if this was the case.

I would just use the dummy note method. But it’s not that much of a big deal... you only need one. Put it on beat one. Select it + other notes. Hit copy (no need for shift+copy). You automatically get set to nudge, so use the data wheel to scroll over to the next beat one. This is not really slow...
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Question:

Additionally... I won’t try to guess your musical purposes, but consider whether the exactness you are seeking is really needed here. You’re trying to be exactly inexact. Why not just hit record and play them in a little behind the beat (certainly the fastest solution). Or, play them in with TC, then select them all, turn off snapping, and nudge them a bit forward all at once.

I recocgnise that it lacks the specific edit function for what you want to do but there are a handful of very easy solutions.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

Question:

Check qlink column 4 dial 2 or 3 (from memory) advances along the grid allowing easy placement of notes
Hold down qlink button to see assignments

Last edited by guysmiley; 19th May 2019 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Aden info
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Right. That's not what I'm saying, though. Keep the start button, obviously, but get rid of that dumb text. I know why that screen exists and I know I can disable that function, but I don't to avoid accidental battery drainage.

My original post said "Just give me the start button. No background, and no "lEt'S mAkE sOmE bEaTs!" text." As someone else mentioned, it comes off as unprofessional at best and a clueless adult trying to relate to youth at worst.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
My original post said "Just give me the start button. No background, and no "lEt'S mAkE sOmE bEaTs!" text." As someone else mentioned, it comes off as unprofessional at best and a clueless adult trying to relate to youth at worst.
I must agree 100% on that part. That phrase is an absolute joke. Its actually what stopped me looking properly at this product till recently. I checked it out in a shop quite some time ago and when that came up I just thought it was pathetic and moved onto the next thing.

I’m back looking at the product though but
I’m honestly amazed it’s still there, it just seems really silly...and not the good type of silly which I love.
Old 19th May 2019
VDB
Lives for gear

Wow! Way to get hung up on something so meaningless!
Good way to make decisions in life, focus only on one tiny detail and disregard everything else.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Good way to make decisions in life, focus only on one tiny detail and disregard everything else.
Easy armchair judgement to make there friend, but I don’t think it’s entirely fair to the scenario.

I’m in a shop just checking out some gear, and there is lots to see. I know nothing on the product, I boot this up and that comes up and it makes me assume it is aimed at a different audience. And I move onto the next piece of gear i am unfamiliar with.

Armchair judge all you want, I’m not fussed. There is a reason we have expressions like “don’t judge a book by its cover”. First impressions affect us as humans, sorry for that. Honestly though from reading through these forums the Live has come a long way since then so I don’t feel I missed anything.

Last edited by Yora; 19th May 2019 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Grammar.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yora View Post
Easy armchair judgement to make there friend, but I don’t think it’s entirely fair to the scenario.

I’m in a shop just checking out some gear, and there is lots to see. I know nothing on the product, I boot this up and that comes up and it makes me assume it is aimed at a different audience. And I move onto the next piece of gear i am unfamiliar with.

Armchair judge all you want, I’m not fussed. There is a reason we have expressions like “don’t judge a book by its cover”. First impressions affect us as humans, sorry for that. Honestly though from reading through these forums the Live has come a long way since then so I don’t feel I missed anything.
Anything more important to point out about Mpc?
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
I still own the machine and I still use it. Who said anything about being "hung up" or life decisions? It's dumb text and it really has no reason to be there.

Tell you what, before you again feel the need to publically discredit the opinions of others, I'll send a circus clown your way to make you a giant balloon dick right before each and every time you're feeling creative. I'll even have said clown give you witty one-liners.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would just use the dummy note method. But it’s not that much of a big deal... you only need one. Put it on beat one. Select it + other notes. Hit copy (no need for shift+copy). You automatically get set to nudge, so use the data wheel to scroll over to the next beat one. This is not really slow...
Quote:
Additionally... I won’t try to guess your musical purposes, but consider whether the exactness you are seeking is really needed here. You’re trying to be exactly inexact. Why not just hit record and play them in a little behind the beat (certainly the fastest solution). Or, play them in with TC, then select them all, turn off snapping, and nudge them a bit forward all at once.

I recocgnise that it lacks the specific edit function for what you want to do but there are a handful of very easy solutions.
It is slow if you need to do this with tons of copies of the notes on many different pads/lanes of patterns that have many more bars than just 1.

Something that would take literally 10 seconds on other sequencers now takes several minutes (most time lost having to delete all those damn dummy notes).

The point is that in some cases triggering samples exactly at certain ticks is how the groove truly flows, especially when working with chopped up loops.

I'm literally avoiding clicks and pops and weird timing issues by keeping the ticks exact.

Anyhow, as always you guys go with the strawman defense. I just wanted to know if this extremely simple thing is possible to do on the MPC Live.. it isn't.

This pretty much makes the Pad "select row" feature completely useless in the piano roll as well. Try selecting a row that has no notes at the very start of the beat and quickly copy them to a few other lanes.. yeah, you can't as the notes get warped to the cursor, massively slowing down workflow.

If the select + copy/paste was relative to the cursor position instead of absolute, then you could literally copy rows of notes, no matter how they were played, in seconds.

This is yet another example of how little actual thought went into the design of this thing. Sigh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Check qlink column 4 dial 2 or 3 (from memory) advances along the grid allowing easy placement of notes
Hold down qlink button to see assignments
Sorry but you didn't quite understand the scenario did you? There's no easy placement of anything as the copied data is NOT relative to the playback cursor. It's absolute.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is yet another example of how little actual thought went into the design of this thing. Sigh..

I only see 2 options here:

1. live with it as it is and see how further updates will improve the device, or

2. sell it and use something that fits your needs better?
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yora View Post
I must agree 100% on that part. That phrase is an absolute joke. Its actually what stopped me looking properly at this product till recently. I checked it out in a shop quite some time ago and when that came up I just thought it was pathetic and moved onto the next thing.

I’m back looking at the product though but
I’m honestly amazed it’s still there, it just seems really silly...and not the good type of silly which I love.
I agree it's an absolute joke. I cut out a piece of cardboard to the screen size with a circular hole where the start button is, all I do is place this over the screen when I turn it off then when it starts up I just put my finger through the hole and then remove the cardboard.

I find it amazing that a company like Akai forces us to do this sort of thing because of bad design.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right. That's not what I'm saying, though. Keep the start button, obviously, but get rid of that dumb text. I know why that screen exists and I know I can disable that function, but I don't to avoid accidental battery drainage.

Fair enough, I misread your post. Well in that case it seems like a pretty trivial concern. My gear (from many manufacturers) has been saying dumbass stuff to me for decades.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
I agree it's an absolute joke. I cut out a piece of cardboard to the screen size with a circular hole where the start button is, all I do is place this over the screen when I turn it off then when it starts up I just put my finger through the hole and then remove the cardboard.

I find it amazing that a company like Akai forces us to do this sort of thing because of bad design.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is slow if you need to do this with tons of copies of the notes on many different pads/lanes of patterns that have many more bars than just 1.

Something that would take literally 10 seconds on other sequencers now takes several minutes (most time lost having to delete all those damn dummy notes).

The point is that in some cases triggering samples exactly at certain ticks is how the groove truly flows, especially when working with chopped up loops.

I'm literally avoiding clicks and pops and weird timing issues by keeping the ticks exact.

Anyhow, as always you guys go with the strawman defense. I just wanted to know if this extremely simple thing is possible to do on the MPC Live.. it isn't.

This pretty much makes the Pad "select row" feature completely useless in the piano roll as well. Try selecting a row that has no notes at the very start of the beat and quickly copy them to a few other lanes.. yeah, you can't as the notes get warped to the cursor, massively slowing down workflow.

If the select + copy/paste was relative to the cursor position instead of absolute, then you could literally copy rows of notes, no matter how they were played, in seconds.

Sorry but you didn't quite understand the scenario did you? There's no easy placement of anything as the copied data is NOT relative to the playback cursor. It's absolute.
I really have thought carefully about what you're doing. AFAIK you are right, there is no specific way to copy a non-beat note to the same non-beat location elsewhere (in Grid Mode. . . it can be done using the copy events function).

But it's not a "strawman" argument for me to say that it's not really a big deal. I've stated four different work-arounds (plus two extra below), and a couple of them mean the loss of perhaps 2-3 seconds:

* dummy note method: Sure, if you have four beats to complete then yes, you'll have to delete 4 notes. Um. . . that's not really a big issue: Put the dummy note on an unused pad so you can use pad select to select all the dummy notes at once prior to deletion. . . a trivial operation, surely. Once you've done one bar, you're sorted, because it becomes increasingly less of an issue, being able to select a whole bar (or 2, 4, 8 etc bars) at once, or simply by doubling your sequence (a fine way to copy an existing pattern), or by using copy events.

* silent dummy note method: just use a permanently unused pad as a dummy note, and if it doesn't affect your sense of aesthetics you don't even need to delete them.

* nudge method (probably the best way for your specific requirement): initially put your notes in time; select them as a group, and nudge them to where you want them. According to your description, you don't really need to know their numerical value as long as it's sounding the way you want it to. The point is, you can do several at once. You can even do it as the sequence is playing, so you can continuously use your ears to get it right. Using pad select arguably makes this a faster process than a copy function you're advocating.

* use a copy events outside Grid Mode. This is probably slower than doing it in one of the ways I describe above, but it does precisely what you're asking for.

* manual method: if you don't really need precision, just hit record and play them in where you want them. Point being, you only need to get one bar right, then you're set, using duplication or copy events, or whatever. If you can play accurately enough and you're not OCD, this is by far the fastest solution.

* Edit the sample method: If a sample is supposed to sound consistently out of time but you want to copy quantised notes with ease, simply adjust the offset on your sample. Alternatively, if the samples are supposed to sound in time, but the notes are out of time, this strongly suggests you need to edit the sample.

Honestly, this is not the kind of thing which holds me back - not "defending Akai," just being honest. Let's keep in mind this problem only comes up if there are no notes on the beat in a handy location prior to your non-beat note. If there is, it's merely a matter of selecting and hitting copy (without shift), which automatically pops you into nudge (a good design option), and you can instantly nudge it right on over to where it needs to be. In other words, your problem is rare, with simple work-arounds (see above). Still, if you think it's a big deal, then that's cool. Just feed it back.

Last edited by Praxisaxis; 19th May 2019 at 11:34 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search