The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC live Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir View Post
You really should give it a go, I remember the first time I tethered my Live to the software I was amazed at the ease and fluidity of the connection and the huge possibilities of sound creation it opened up.

I then disconnected and never did it again, I bought the Live as a standalone.
I’m very confused by this lol. Did you never disconnect, or never used the software again ? lol. If you liked it so much , then why did you never do it again ?!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Tangent question: do any of the Akai keyboard controllers have a dedicated Live/X mode? I can see a lot of adverts and videos showing DAW integration, but I'm wondering if some of those MPKs/etc with many pads, buttons and Q links work automatically and all over one USB bus powered cable?

Or can it all be done via MIDI Learn?

I'm tiring of the little Keystep's keys, and wouldn't mind giving up a bit of space to something like the MPK49.
Pretty poor form to quote yourself, but just wondering about those Akai keyboard controllers?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Pretty poor form to quote yourself, but just wondering about those Akai keyboard controllers?
I've asked specifically about pre-mapping between Akai keyboard controllers & MPC software on the Akai Community site & MPC Forums and didn't get much outside of universal MIDI, MIDI learn, blah blah. Sounds like if you're OK setting things up, sure.

I wanted and Advance to pair with my Touch, at the time, and ended up with a Komplete Kontrol as I have a lot of NKS instruments. I'm now considering the LPK25 Wireless to pair with my Live on the go and have not yet received a positive answer regarding pre-mapping.

Good to see there's interest beyond mine.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Got a Roli Seaboard block here paired via bluetooth. It does not lose connection when switching projects.
Don't know if any at all of it's functions beyond keys cam be used with the Live?

Edit-
Looks like the Roli always is in MPE mode when enabled via bluetooth, so the MPC Live MIDI learn gets a different MIDI channel for each note, so for instance assigning cutoff to Slide assigns it only one note..

Last edited by machinesworking; 1 week ago at 12:38 AM.. Reason: more details
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
I'm not in front of the MPC right now but are there the same amounts of controls over how pads are muted as there is with Clip Programs?

It's a good solution for now, but actually having Clip Programs and other programs work side by side is hopefully going to happen in the future.
Yes of.course but now we have this.
You can also quantize pad mute to match clip quantization
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudest View Post
no, it's me.
everywhere else on this machine the equivalent to 'right to left" is "top to bottom" (cf. the order of the Q-Links for one horizontal group of four on the screen)
of course we can get used to everything (like reading a book from right to left...)
but consistency is a good thing. that's all.

manufacturers definitely need to hire ergonomists nowadays...
The way I look at it in terms of sequencing is the bottom left pad is #1 ; regardless of bank, same on maschine, same on legacy MPCs...so of course the step sequence should start from A1.

The q links match the screen...whether its a right to left or top to bottom it shouldnt have a bearing on the pad/sequence direction,

Sorry on this I think youre wrong..imho of course
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
The way I look at it in terms of sequencing is the bottom left pad is #1 ; regardless of bank, same on maschine, same on legacy MPCs...so of course the step sequence should start from A1.

The q links match the screen...whether its a right to left or top to bottom it shouldnt have a bearing on the pad/sequence direction,

Sorry on this I think youre wrong..imho of course
Actually I think there are two (or maybe 3) different things that are being talked about here.

1. is the order that the pad step through when being used in "step sequencer mode". Top to bottom or bottom to top. This (imo) falls under design preference.

2 When in "step sequence" mode, the q-links can be used to control velocity of the steps. I don't know about the X, but on the Live the q-link order is completely out of order, so much so that it is obviously not a design preference but rather a bug.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
anyone find a way to change note with an encoder once written (step sequencer?)

am i missing something?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by psoul View Post
anyone find a way to change note with an encoder once written (step sequencer?)

am i missing something?
In the Grid you can.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
In the Grid you can.
yes but i'd like to make it there, in a fast and creative way
if i have to use grid edit is better i use my dark time :D
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi!

Is there a way to double the length of a track in the same way as you can double the length of a sequence?
A lot of the time when i start a project i want to have a longer ( 8-16 bars ) track for chords and/or melody, while keeping the drumstracks at a bar or two. When i want to extend the drumstracks to create some variation, i need to go in to the grid and manually copy the sequence.... Am i missing something?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimo View Post
Hi!

Is there a way to double the length of a track in the same way as you can double the length of a sequence?
A lot of the time when i start a project i want to have a longer ( 8-16 bars ) track for chords and/or melody, while keeping the drumstracks at a bar or two. When i want to extend the drumstracks to create some variation, i need to go in to the grid and manually copy the sequence.... Am i missing something?
As far as I know, you can only do it manually as you say: change the track length on the main screen, then copy/paste in the grid.

If it's not already in there, it's ripe for a feature request!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
I've asked specifically about pre-mapping between Akai keyboard controllers & MPC software on the Akai Community site & MPC Forums and didn't get much outside of universal MIDI, MIDI learn, blah blah. Sounds like if you're OK setting things up, sure.

I wanted and Advance to pair with my Touch, at the time, and ended up with a Komplete Kontrol as I have a lot of NKS instruments. I'm now considering the LPK25 Wireless to pair with my Live on the go and have not yet received a positive answer regarding pre-mapping.

Good to see there's interest beyond mine.
Thanks for letting me know.

I've jumped all around the relevant Akai web pages with no positive results on this. As there's no benefit from using an Akai keyboard controller, I'll go elsewhere.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi!

If im getting you, what you would do is set the drum beat length to, say 8 or 16 beatz, then set the mIn seq length to whatever you want the pads to be.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi!

using bars copy no? then u don't have to manually copy the drum and u can make variations from there
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
If im getting you, what you would do is set the drum beat length to, say 8 or 16 beatz, then set the mIn seq length to whatever you want the pads to be.
This is what i do. The problem is when i want to extend the drumtrack to the full length of the sequence. I would like to be able to just double the length of the drumtrack, but i have to go in to the grid and copy/paste the events?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
using bars copy no? then u don't have to manually copy the drum and u can make variations from there
Bars copy is just for the full sequence or am i missing something?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Bars copy is just for the full sequence or am i missing something?
yes
try to explain what are u trying to do again cause i did not understand
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
Excuse me Dan,

Any insight you can give on the choice for the screens being different on the Live/X that I mentioned before.

Thank you.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
yes
try to explain what are u trying to do again cause i did not understand
Sorry if i was unclear in my earlier post.

Basically i just want to be able to double the length of a single track, and to have the events doubled as well, without having to go in to the grid and copy/paste the events.

Lets say i have a 16 bar sequence, with some melodic tracks running the full sequence. But the drumtrack is set to loop over one bar, and so only has events layed out for the first bar.

Then i would like to be able to double the drumtrack 4 times, to make it the same length as the sequence and add some variations.

If i just change the length of the drumtrack to the sequence length, i will only have events on the first bar.

So, i want to be able to do the same thing as "double sequence length", but only for a single track.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Basically i just want to be able to double the length of a single track, and to have the events doubled as well, without having to go in to the grid and copy/paste the events.

Lets say i have a 16 bar sequence, with some melodic tracks running the full sequence. But the drumtrack is set to loop over one bar, and so only has events layed out for the first bar.

Then i would like to be able to double the drumtrack 4 times, to make it the same length as the sequence and add some variations.

If i just change the length of the drumtrack to the sequence length, i will only have events on the first bar.

So, i want to be able to do the same thing as "double sequence length", but only for a single track.
Theres an option to do that in the main menu.

If memory serves press the pencil icon on the track and there should be an option to do it there.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

no prob i think i undestand

if u have 16 bar of melody and drum on the first bar only u need to use copy events, at least is what i do

select track and events then copy and replace 4 times from the beginning (or 3 from bar2 to understand) (or 16 times if u want to cover the full groove)

otherwise extend to 4 bars, make changes there, then again copy and replace events from bar 1 to 4 from the beginning 4 times

hope u get it i'm not native and my engish sucks
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellypants View Post
Theres an option to do that in the main menu.

If memory serves press the pencil icon on the track and there should be an option to do it there.
When i press the pencil icon on the track there is only option to double or half-speed events, not to double the length.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
no prob i think i undestand

if u have 16 bar of melody and drum on the first bar only u need to use copy events, at least is what i do

select track and events then copy and replace 4 times from the beginning (or 3 from bar2 to understand) (or 16 times if u want to cover the full groove)

otherwise extend to 4 bars, make changes there, then again copy and replace events from bar 1 to 4 from the beginning 4 times

hope u get it i'm not native and my engish sucks
This is what i was looking for, thanks alot!!

Would still prefer to have a "double length" option on the tracks as well, but this works!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is what i was looking for, thanks alot!!

Would still prefer to have a "double length" option on the tracks as well, but this works!
glad i help u
with time u will get used and it will be easier
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've jumped all around the relevant Akai web pages with no positive results on this. As there's no benefit from using an Akai keyboard controller, I'll go elsewhere.
Other than wireless capabilties, matchy matchy, and portability, I guess any keyboard controller would work.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Other than wireless capabilties, matchy matchy, and portability, I guess any keyboard controller would work.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

OK the Autosampler looks great, I'm really leaning towards getting a Live after this update. However as someone who comes from old school sampling on the Akai S series stuff (s1000, s612, also MPC JJOS) I really want to know how good it is at automatically finding loops. I'm able to make multisamples/keygroups of my analog synths pretty ****ing accurately and even pretty quickly with these, and using a midi controller keygroup mapping is actually insanely fast. So while automated sampling sounds great it means nothing to me if the loops are bad, and they seem to be on every video I've seen of people showing off the Autolooper. The Akai official videos seem to hide this by just playing back a little bit of the sound, I want to hear it sustain!!!!! Crossfade looping can't fix everything (I actually would rather not use it, ever).
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I would love this see this as well. I bet there some very capable Live users on hear that are just rocking this thing. I know The SP-16 does looping very well but it is just so simplistic compared to the Live.
Old 6 days ago
Ive had no joy the little ive used the autosamplers looping. Need to experiment more but at the moment everything I do is one shots.

Saying that Im going to retire my samplers...I really cant see me using them for much now
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search