The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC live Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

As of August 2018 how is the MPC Live doing? In bad standing or 2nd to none for standalone beatmaking?

Ive read so many complaints about the software and hatdware that Im really hesitant to even consider buying one.

Now, is this a situation like the 2016/2017 Macbook Pro where 1 in 5 units has a defective keyboard and Apple just doesnt give damn lr is this something thst is being addressed by Akai or was solved in the meantime?

Whats the current consensus on the MPC Live. Worth the money? Bug free?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I like mine very much, but I'm still learning and trying it out in different ways. It's got huge potential, but it's missing features and I don't yet fully trust it for bigger projects. (YMMV, and many here are already happy.)

I'm cutting Akai some slack because it took the MV-8800 (which I had prior to the MPC Live) a lot of OS revisions to mature fully. So I hope Akai are still selling enough to justify putting more resources into developing the OS.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm happy user of this gear. I have issue with some things but in most cases it works.
Probably more reliable than combination of computer, controller, audio interface, usb hub and software.
One thing for sure akai is more a gear company then a software company. They still are not solid like NI or ableton when it comes to software/hardware hybrids.
Old 5 days ago
Still my favourite bit of gear. Just cableing up my new “studio”, looking forward to integrating the Live with my other kit.

I use it purely as an old school mpc, sample, chop, play...ive used it as a standalone recorder but it was never meant to replace my main rig so itll be relegated a bit. Havent even turned it on, or much else, for weeks now, but Ill have finished connecting everything by the weekend. Cannae wait
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
I like mine very much, but I'm still learning and trying it out in different ways. It's got huge potential, but it's missing features and I don't yet fully trust it for bigger projects. (YMMV, and many here are already happy.)

I'm cutting Akai some slack because it took the MV-8800 (which I had prior to the MPC Live) a lot of OS revisions to mature fully. So I hope Akai are still selling enough to justify putting more resources into developing the OS.
Ive had the software since pretty much the beginning of v1...oh sheet it was bad at first lol

Theyve come on leaps, even NI stuff up updates (v2 batch midi was tragic, stopped using maschine from then ) so Ive got confidence in Akai, they had a pretty solid base by the end of the first version, they just need to keep tweaking version 2.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post

Defector!

But jokes aside , how does it compare to the mv?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coding View Post
I'm happy user of this gear. I have issue with some things but in most cases it works.
Probably more reliable than combination of computer, controller, audio interface, usb hub and software.
One thing for sure akai is more a gear company then a software company. They still are not solid like NI or ableton when it comes to software/hardware hybrids.
you had me until you said 'solid like NI'.... good one

I think the next major update will really tell a lot about where akai is headed.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quick question about how people use Live with DAWs - fully integrated with the software running as a plugin, or standalone and hooked up via Midi as any other hardware unit?

Last night I wanted to rejig and rerecord some mpc stuff which is the backbone of a band multitrack. Ran the software as a plugin (in Reaper) and it worked but I can't play samples (to edit etc) via the hardware unless the daw transport is running.

(Also I rarely use the software so that side of things seems a bit overwhelming. Really need to learn it though.)

Anyway, just wondered if there's any consensus on this.

As an aside, interestingly playback was better via Reaper than the somewhat glitchy experience I tend to get running the software on it's own! (I'm using a fairly old PC).
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew 71 View Post
Quick question about how people use Live with DAWs - fully integrated with the software running as a plugin, or standalone and hooked up via Midi as any other hardware unit?

Last night I wanted to rejig and rerecord some mpc stuff which is the backbone of a band multitrack. Ran the software as a plugin (in Reaper) and it worked but I can't play samples (to edit etc) via the hardware unless the daw transport is running.

(Also I rarely use the software so that side of things seems a bit overwhelming. Really need to learn it though.)

As an aside, interestingly playback was better via Reaper than the somewhat glitchy experience I tend to get running the software on it's own! (I'm using a fairly old PC).
I guess it depends what you are trying to achieve. I haven't ever tried it as a plugin. I do use the software as its own DAW; it basically comes on whenever I've finished editing sounds in Pro Tools and I want to set them up as a batch for the MPC. For example, making a keygroup is much easier in the software than standalone (and I am fine with that; the MPC isn't the first hardware which has been fiddly for keygroups). Having gotten used to it in the software, I make keygroups whenever I feel like it - dead easy. So basically, I use the software for things which I can do standalone, but I guess you'd say is more in the "preparation" phase rather than the actual composition.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I hardly use it at all.

There are some things that I have to use it for - like bundling expansion packs to the standalone.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Hop Head View Post
As of August 2018 how is the MPC Live doing? In bad standing or 2nd to none for standalone beatmaking?

Ive read so many complaints about the software and hatdware that Im really hesitant to even consider buying one.

Now, is this a situation like the 2016/2017 Macbook Pro where 1 in 5 units has a defective keyboard and Apple just doesnt give damn lr is this something thst is being addressed by Akai or was solved in the meantime?

Whats the current consensus on the MPC Live. Worth the money? Bug free?
It's been great for me, and almost completely bug free (things that were buggy have gradually been ironed out in updates).

Other people don't like it, for any number of reasons.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
I hardly use it at all.

There are some things that I have to use it for - like bundling expansion packs to the standalone.
Same here, expansion packs and keygroups.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Midi imported to Mpc live is empty

Hey, (I also posted this on the MPC-forum, but it doesn't seem very active)

I'm trying to import some midi files from Logic Pro x to the MPC live in standalone. I export files from Logic onto a usb stick, find them in the MPC browser, import a file to it's own sequence (as there is no option to merge with existing sequences), and there is no note information when I go into grid view - the file is simply empty. (I double checked that there are programmed notes by importing a saved midi file into Logic again).

Any tips?
Old 5 days ago
VDB
Gear Addict

Quote:

Standalone, synced
Haven’t bothered with the software, nor do I plan to.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:

I use the Live as a standalone machine. Ive only used the software to report any bugs, make keygroups, and export expansions. But it has worked fine when Ive done these tasks.
Old 5 days ago
I’m curious.
Who’s ditched their MPC 1000/2500 for Live or X?
Do you regret it? If so, why?

In Live is the song mode still the same half-assed thing as MPC 1000/2500?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes everybody regrets there decision.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlus View Post
I've never had the impression that the two modes are identical - in fact it is been very clear that there are certain things only available when connected to MPC software.
Also - I am under the impression that better automation edit and automation functionality integrated in the standalone GUI is something that is coming.
Before the Live came out, every video stated if it could be done on the software it could be done on the hardware. The only caveat was VST’s.

When the unit was released a few key features were missing from standalone like real-time time stretching and automation lane editing. We did get real-time stretching in a later update.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
I’m curious.

I did...though there was a big gap as I tried a few other machines...mainly the electribe 2 sampler before the Live came out. Ive always had the Studio though so I knew the software side of things.

No regrets, I wouldnt have sold the MPC if not. The Live is way more flexible, superior screen, stuck a 1tb drive in it, audio tracks, around five times the ram, and is portable. These were important factors for me.

Song mode still sucks, but bouncing it down to one sequence and overlaying audio tracks on the sequence does not suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post

“their”
Old 4 days ago
VDB
Gear Addict

Quote:
I’m curious.

I did, kind of. I ditched my octatrack for the mpc live and definitely happy I did.
But I also used an mpc 1000 before, along with the octatrack.
No real regrets per say.
There are for sure some things that could be done better tho.
The piano roll does a horrible job at using the touch screen as I’ve ranted about before.
The lack of shift + pad for switching modes is dumb.
No automation editing is brutal.
And lots of people complain about the lack of polyphonic midi, although that’s not an issue for me.
But overall it’s been a decent experience for me.
I really like the way MPCs work, and love the export individual tracks option.

Also, I don’t remember how the song mode worked in jjos, but it’s a little clunky in the live imo.

I actually like the live tbh, even tho lots of things are a little poorly implemented.
It’s an mpc, and I kinda wish they just made a great mpc instead of adding audio tracks etc.
I like it to make simple beats and sequence stuff and synch to my daw.
Once that’s done, export to the daw and actually work on the track in there.

Quote:
Nope, not at all.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post

“their”
As in "over there->decision...."
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
As in "over there->decision...."

FLAME WAR!!!

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

the new mpcs are dope, the majority of folks who don't like them are people who didn't or wouldn't like MPCs in the first place.... you can tell by the faults they find as well as the comparisons they make...so of course if you didn't like the mpc ethos in the first place you're not going to be happy after you buy one and it's still an mpc. Now there is absolutely room for improvement without a doubt, but if you bought an mpc and you hate it because it's not an elektron, a toraiz, a crappy sequencer like maschine, an mv8800, a deluge, or a full fledged daw then it's not the mpc you hate it's your choices because the mpc sequencer and workflow have been around forever, it's nobody else's fault if someone doesn't understand the instrument they bought. The mpc sequencer is so different from those listed above that it's ridiculous for anyone to be confused between the Mpc-equencer and any of the others.
there are some particular features from some of the others that I would like in the mpc for sure like p.locks, but that's a completely different issue than acting like there is something wrong with the mpc because it doesn't have them. It never had them ever and therefore wouldn't make sense for anyone to expect them to just magically appear and then disappear in your unit so that you got upset and claimed you now want an octatrack. etc...

the only valid claim I've ever seen is the one about drift between the software and the stand alone version, imho akai should really get ahead of that issue and stamp it out and if not, and they can't keep them aligned then at least make the stand alone firmware the primary focus and make the desktop secondary!!!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I’m curious.

I sold my 1k with JJOSXL, which I used for
10+ years, a few months after receiving my Live in late July last year. I found myself missing the fluidity of accessing next sequence and track mute. I also needed a multi timbral sampler sound module for my drum rig so I bought a another 1k with JJ in April of this year.

After having the 2 side by side again, the Live smokes the old units. Even with the lack of multi timbral input and a lack of a few hardware buttons I would never go back. In fact after the MIDI update, and integrating my old alesis trigger io (powered via USB) for foot switch support, I sold my 1k... again.

I still miss the behavior of next sequence. With immediate engaged, it would play the next triggered sequence from the play position not the sequence start... very musical yet kinda glitchy.

Not sure how MPC song mode was crippled on the 1k. Always worked well for me on the 1k, 2k and 2kxl. It is more or less the same on the Live.

Multi timbral input is what I’m waiting on.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
Hey, (I also posted this on the MPC-forum, but it doesn't seem very active)

I'm trying to import some midi files from Logic Pro x to the MPC live in standalone. I export files from Logic onto a usb stick, find them in the MPC browser, import a file to it's own sequence (as there is no option to merge with existing sequences), and there is no note information when I go into grid view - the file is simply empty. (I double checked that there are programmed notes by importing a saved midi file into Logic again).

Any tips?
I haven't done it standalone (I use the MPC near my computer, and hitting "connect" is easier than plugging in a USB).

But it works fine, at least in software. No issues at all. I'm sorry I don't know what is causing your problem.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holl1f3ld View Post
I still miss the behavior of next sequence. With immediate engaged, it would play the next triggered sequence from the play position not the sequence start... very musical yet kinda glitchy.
You can do "immediate" in the Next Sequence Mode on the Live. There is also a MIDI-mappable immediate Next Seq which maintains play position, though I think at this stage this latter option is only when tethered (I hope they improve MIDI Mapping in a future update).

There's a video of someone demonstrating that somewhere, I can't track it down right now.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m curious.

I use the Live instead of the 1000 (but I hung on to it, why not). If anyone thinks the Live is not an improvement on the 1000, they are tripping.

The song mode is what it is. You can take it or leave it; it's not necessary for a complete workflow.

Others have mentioned track bounce and song bounce which are great. Flatten pad is also awesome on the Live, especially considering you can layer up four effects per pad - being able to instantly flatten that is great for sound design. The screen is much easier to work with than the 1000s, obviously. Notwithstanding some unexploited shortcuts that others have mentioned here (though I'm hoping some of these get addressed in updates and/or improved MIDI Learn), it's easy to build a fluid muscle memory on, with (almost) a perfect balance of hardware control and touch screen. More buttons would have been better, but truth is it is perfectly usable as is.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
I’m curious.

Used 1000 heavily for about 10 years. Use Live now.

I use the Live WAY less than the 1000, mostly because my focus is much different than it was all those years. The Live is a more competent machine, but I think it’s less fun for me to use than the 1000 because I felt more like I was in a self-contained ecosystem than I am with the Live, even though I still use it 99% standalone. There’s something about the touchscreen and he frequent updates and the graphics and stuff that psychologically affects ME in a negative way. But I’m strange...
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holl1f3ld View Post
I sold my 1k with JJOSXL, which I used for
10+ years, a few months after receiving my Live in late July last year. I found myself missing the fluidity of accessing next sequence and track mute. I also needed a multi timbral sampler sound module for my drum rig so I bought a another 1k with JJ in April of this year.

After having the 2 side by side again, the Live smokes the old units. Even with the lack of multi timbral input and a lack of a few hardware buttons I would never go back. In fact after the MIDI update, and integrating my old alesis trigger io (powered via USB) for foot switch support, I sold my 1k... again.

Not sure how MPC song mode was crippled on the 1k. Always worked well for me on the 1k, 2k and 2kxl. It is more or less the same on the Live.

Multi timbral input is what I’m waiting on.
I didn’t mean to imply that the song mode had anything wrong with it. Only that it could have been better. For example the Command Station had a multi channel linear track and a tempo track in song mode which I sorely missed after the jump from it to the MPC.
And then comparing the MPC song mode to an RS7000 the RS makes an MPC look dain bramaged

I was hoping that Akai might have thrown us a bone in that direction with these modern MPCs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search