The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC live Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I have long considered the Octa and may still end up with one. But it hasn't got the scope of Reaktor for sound design, and for this stuff I usually work "off line" (not playing in real time) anyway. On the other hand, its sequencer is neither as powerful nor as straightforward as the MPC, which is the most crucial part of the MPC for my usage. I'm already very happy with the division of tasks between my PC and the MPC.
so many people sleep on the mpc sequencer, I've almost stopped talking about it and just refer people to the manual of any model in the series. It's weird because after putting in work for decades you'd think folks would be more aware.
Old 9th August 2018
VDB
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
`Yes,I am the only one who thinks it compounds the sound and contains it to kinda glue it all together.Seems to gel for me.Like its all happening and fits in.Similar in this respect to the MPC2000.IMO that is 'sonic character.Simple character.A lot of these other machines sound brilliant.But i dont get that same tone.All the sounds are just there all clear and erm...clear.Its been brought home to me listening back to the recordings i made last year.Raw as .... But it only seems to be me.Everyone else says that the new machines are much better and would never go back.Anyway im pretty sure its down to the low quality ins/outs and the built in EQ and compression.And the way i sampled and recorded.Things kinda meshed together and came out like a nice sausage.Anyway enough of this crazyness.bye...
Meh, I’d been toying with the idea of getting a 1000 again. But really, the convenience of exporting the individual tracks intimate a daw from the live is too awesome to ever go back!
Old 9th August 2018
Quote:
Dos n0t sound to bad to me.

And the 3000xl Z8 ect sound amazing.When used correctly.
Its what you are putting in it, not whats coming out imho. I can make the Live sound raw as fook by using raw as fook samples, but like the 5000 it wont do it on its own. But drive up the gain input on a S1000/950/900/3000 and sample drums and the Live, 1000, S5000, X etc etc cant reproduce that sound...thats character
Old 9th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Meh, I’d been toying with the idea of getting a 1000 again. But really, the convenience of exporting the individual tracks intimate a daw from the live is too awesome to ever go back!
Yup, Ive had numarks and the Live supersedes them

I think because theres a software version that folks cant get their head around the fact that its just a representation of the OS...The OS on the other MPCs is just software, JJOS is just software...it has little baring on a standalone machine but offers total felixability in the studio
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Crossing View Post
Definitely this. The last MPC to sound "good" was the 3000 (s3000/3200 era, NOT XL)

Was never a fan soundwise of the 2000, 4000 (z8), 2500/1000/5000 (Although I did like those machines otherwise)

I'm totally fine with a Live/X sounding "clean", or better yet hi-fi. I'm going to run most things thru stuff like an Oto Boum or Analog Heat anyways.

Now if they'd only fix the MIDI situation... I'd go buy an X tomorrow

can i ask? are you referring to timing? because AFAIK that's fixed.

or do you mean "implement" as in "implement midi multi mode"?
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Basically, no. Kikeriverer said it. You can map pads, but not their destinations. So you map pads on the live to an external controller. This enables playing more than one bank at a time (somewhat useful). But it does not enable playing more than one program at a time (somewhat of a bummer). In effect, it doesn't get us around the current lack of multitimbrality.

I for one have been feeding this back to Akai for a while and encourage everyone else here to do the same. However, MIDI Learn in its current form is pretty useful, it must be said. Among other things, it allows Modes mapped, so you can flick from Main to Track Mute to Pad mute at the touch of a (mapped) button. You can map track change and sequence change, so that even though you cannot physically perform two programs at a time (yet), you can change between two as rapidly as you like. I can cue Next Sequence from an external controller, and that choice will persist whichever Mode I'm in. So it's powerful, with but with one remaining shortfall (no multitimbrality).
Ohh so you can now map all this to ext MIDI controllers?! That’s super cool! Gotta check this out next time I’m at my live..
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
Ohh so you can now map all this to ext MIDI controllers?! That’s super cool! Gotta check this out next time I’m at my live..
It's a little while since I tried an external controller, and I need to update to the latest firmware. I think there used to be some limitations in standalone vs tethered for midi control. Are there still any big differences between these modes of use? (Was pleased that Dan confirmed the sequence mapping works in standalone.)

Cheers
Stew
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Totally agree.The 1000 has so many limitations.Bad envelopes,bad pitching,bad filters,bad effects,bad sequencer resolution,ugly yellow screen,bad general tone,bad cheap feeling buttons....it generally seems like a cut price MPC!!!!!
BUT-for some reason i can knock out a tight little jam that kicks without a sweat on this lil beasty.And thats all that matters to me at the end.....being happy to listen back again and again to that bad boy!!! the few months i had it no flashing lights,screens and endless daw like feature got in the way.It just sequenced my sounds and thats it.

Quote:
Yup, Ive had numarks and the Live supersedes them

I think because theres a software version that folks cant get their head around the fact that its just a representation of the OS...The OS on the other MPCs is just software, JJOS is just software...it has little baring on a standalone machine but offers total felixability in the studio
Great.

Quote:
Its what you are putting in it, not whats coming out imho. I can make the Live sound raw as fook by using raw as fook samples, but like the 5000 it wont do it on its own.
Personally (and i mean just me and my experience) all the earlier akai racks up to the Z8 have a particular sound,very smooth and transpose nicely.They are up there with the greats altho i would not put the later models in the same distinct category as the legacy models (3000 and before) so have less general character but they are serious specific tools of the trade.Use what you like and choose the tools you want to use.Im just looking for the right sound for me.And im very particular.Some gear and sound inspires me and some leaves me a bit cold and empty.

EDIT-btw the way in case it seems im running the live/X/MPC software down,im not I personally feel it friggin awesome.That Akai have come up with this with all these updates ectect.There nothing else that compares.Great achievement.And its just getting better.Software is staying on my computer and im happy about that.Great alternative to ableton.Just works.Still miss the simplicity of the earlier units tho.
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
or do you mean "implement" as in "implement midi multi mode"?
I'm almost certain he means this . We've all got our hands up for it
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
Ah geez, I think I confused myself with this. To be clear, I think a lot of those functions only work from the Global Tab in the SOFTWARE Midi Learn. And I haven't been able to work out if this can somehow be brought across to standalone. I don't think it can. Dan, happy to be proven wrong on this. . .

If I'm right, then yeah, sadly MIDI Learn remains fairly limited in Standalone mode (the mode which stands to benefit most. . . )
Old 9th August 2018
Quote:
Totally agree.The 1000 has so many limitations.Bad envelopes,bad pitching,bad filters,bad effects,bad sequencer resolution,ugly yellow screen,bad general tone,bad cheap feeling buttons....it generally seems like a cut price MPC!!!!!
BUT-for some reason i can knock out a tight little jam that kicks without a sweat on this lil beasty.And thats all that matters to me at the end.....being happy to listen back again and again to that bad boy!!! the few months i had it no flashing lights,screens and endless daw like feature got in the way.It just sequenced my sounds and thats it.

Great.

Personally (and i mean just me and my experience) all the earlier akai racks up to the Z8 have a particular sound,very smooth and transpose nicely.They are up there with the greats altho i would not put the later models in the same distinct category as the legacy models (3000 and before) so have less general character but they are serious specific tools of the trade.Use what you like and choose the tools you want to use.Im just looking for the right sound for me.And im very particular.Some gear and sound inspires me and some leaves me a bit cold and empty.

EDIT-btw the way in case it seems im running the live/X/MPC software down,im not I personally feel it friggin awesome.That Akai have come up with this with all these updates ectect.There nothing else that compares.Great achievement.And its just getting better.Software is staying on my computer and im happy about that.Great alternative to ableton.Just works.Still miss the simplicity of the earlier units tho.
I dont think you are running down the Live/X, I think you are constantly banging on about the MPC1000 in the wrong thread
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Head

This all conversation about cleanliness of sound feels really weird.
My ears are not trained enough to ear differences, but I also own a Deluge and the potential for dirt in your sounds is much higher on the Live.
I love many things about the Deluge, but I end up working with the Live more as it helps me achieve the sound I want more easily.
And when you make Industrial/Noise/techno being able to have dirt, distortion AND control is key.
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I dont think you are running down the Live/X, I think you are constantly banging on about the MPC1000 in the wrong thread
Constantly banging on??just looking for views actually.And all i get is some stoopid cliques.With no real incites.Very clever

Quote:
This all conversation about cleanliness of sound feels really weird.
My ears are not trained enough to ear differences, but I also own a Deluge and the potential for dirt in your sounds is much higher on the Live.
Im talking about grunge straight out the box.The live/x are very clean.Not a bad thing of course.But its very clinical.Like all computer daw ect.Just a fact.But yeah,plenty of opportunity to grunge it up and distort.I dont want to be miss understood here tho.Counter productive.
Old 9th August 2018
Quote:
Constantly banging on??just looking for views actually.And all i get is some stoopid cliques.With no real incites.Very clever
Im not going to get int a flame war with you, generally I like your posts (despite your ad hominem)...but I dont get the reason for your posts in this thread...I really don't, it almost reads like trolling. You even say yourself you dont think it belongs in the thread, you even say bye...then two posts later its back to the 1000 or Z8 or some other none Live/X machine. Its harmless but like I say I dont get the point. You ask for views, you get views, then you call them cliques because they dont agree with you??

After the S3200 the aim for Akia seemed to be to get as clean sounding machines as possible, not just my opinion but general consensus...your not going to change that consensus because you can bang out sweet beats on a thou. Its not a bad machine, in fact its a great machine, but it has zero character...that was never it or any post S3200 sampler strengths.

I look forward to the exact same posts from you and I 10 pages into the future
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Im not going to get int a flame war with you,
lol

Quote:
Its not a bad machine, in fact its a great machine, but it has zero character...
Ok thats at least getting to the point.I can chill now.thanx
Quote:
you even say bye...then two posts later
im back.Answering posts....

so now breath and realax

Last edited by Goa-Dubs; 10th August 2018 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: deleted Vid....
Old 9th August 2018
Im all relaxed...if you can call setting up your gear relaxed...in fact Im tense, very tense...and the cabling’s to come!!
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Hello, I'm using the mpc live standalone with Ableton live, is there any way of mapping ableton's plugin parameters to mpc's q-links?

Regards,
J
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzslut View Post
Hello, I'm using the mpc live standalone with Ableton live, is there any way of mapping ableton's plugin parameters to mpc's q-links?

Regards,
J
are you using the ableton live sequencer to trigger the mpc live?
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzslut View Post

Regards,
J
Set up a midi track on the live
Make sure Live is receiving from the MPC
On the MPC go to Menu > qlink
set the qlinks to whatever CC you wish
In Live pick the plugin you want and enable midi learn
Select parameters and turn qlinks on the mpc to assign
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
are you using the ableton live sequencer to trigger the mpc live?
Mmmm so far I'm doing so but my intention is to get the MPC to be the master and launch Ableton tracks from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holl1f3ld View Post
Set up a midi track on the live
Make sure Live is receiving from the MPC
On the MPC go to Menu > qlink
set the qlinks to whatever CC you wish
In Live pick the plugin you want and enable midi learn
Select parameters and turn qlinks on the mpc to assign
Awesome, thanks!
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

I’m not sure I’d want a sampler that colored everything I ran through it, especially if it’s the main hub that I’m doing most of my work in. I say that now, but after buying my old Ramsa mixer years ago, I noticed my sounds came together and mixed a bit easier, had a darker sound but energized, with a nice finished vibe. So I do understand the grit and bite thing.

However these days I’ve been using a A&H mix wizard 14-4-4 and it sounds clearer, punchier, and tight. I like the idea of running drums and sounds through effects boxes for mojo, but I like working from a clean clear sources. There’s so many boxes out there from preamps, compressors, distortion, saturators, and TONS of wonderful Lo-fi boxes out there to process sounds and even final mixes.
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

How much automation can i do in stand alone mode?Can i automate pitch,filter ect in real time like on the SW?thanx
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
How much automation can i do in stand alone mode?Can i automate pitch,filter ect in real time like on the SW?thanx
Yes you can BUT YOU CAN'T EDIT AUTOMATIONS IN STANDALONE MODE.

WHY AKAI?WHY???
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post

WHY AKAI?WHY???
What,howabout on the screen?ilike fingering the parameter in non real time?Im looking at one locally atm.I gots the SW and that works like a charm.But tied to comp obviously.Thanx for info....
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can record and erase it easily. You can edit it in the List Edit. But (at least at the moment) you cannot visually edit on screen, apart from velocity.
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Now i understand thanx
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I can't understand complains about Live to be "too much clean". HI-FI sound is the one of the main focus of any professional audio recorder/sampler, why to dirt it?

... going from clean to dirt is very easy, but imposible in the other direction
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Dont start that again
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Dont start that again
Hahaha you're right. Sorry
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post

WHY AKAI?WHY???
Quote:
You can record and erase it easily. You can edit it in the List Edit. But (at least at the moment) you cannot visually edit on screen, apart from velocity.
Yes, doable in list edit, but not comfortable.
Let's say you do a LPF sweep over 8 bars…taking that out via list edit takes time.
Let's say you've also recorded a master fader movement downwards just before the drop or whatever.
Now, you want to delete the LPF automation. You can do that via Erase and select Automation…well, it erases ALL of the automation.

IMHO this is a huge design flaw. Why can't we take out one specific automation…we gotta take it all?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search