The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC live Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

ok thanks. i have a studio, and that section is dead as a dodo on that site, but i guess i can ask the questions in more populated sections as it all translates. it's funny how everyone complains there's no money to be made in music but when i make an offer and no-one is interested - yet they will happily answer for free! strange. not like i am asking for secret sauce.

i will try muddle through, just spent the last of my cash for this money anyhow
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
ok thanks. i have a studio, and that section is dead as a dodo on that site, but i guess i can ask the questions in more populated sections as it all translates. it's funny how everyone complains there's no money to be made in music but when i make an offer and no-one is interested - yet they will happily answer for free! strange. not like i am asking for secret sauce.

Studio silver or black
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

because we want to make money making or playing music and not stealing from newbie mpc users :D
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just logged in to give props to the guys at akai working on the mpc updates and software. I bought at launch and was a bit worried about updates considering past mpcs but they've really come through.

Quote:
hello! i am offering any MPC/MIDI experts a £50 paypal bonanza to pick their brain until i am comfortable running without training wheels. can take place casually via PMs or can start a thread or whatever, don't want to clog this thread up. will probably take a couple of weeks, like i said very casually no rush. what i need:

initial external synth setup
recording from external synth as MIDI
automation of external synth parameters + internal MPC effects
bouncing to audio
constructing rudimentary song using tracks/sequences in 2.0 software
answer stupid miscellaneous questions
if you use MPC live/X standalone and never with the software, you will probably not be suitable

if anyone is interested let me know, thanks.
Those questions are simple but I don't have the mpc nearby. Just search in youtube for 'mpc live external synth', 'mpc live automation', etc and you'll find everything you need.

YouTube

This fella (not my channel) has lots of mpc live/x tutorials, updated to mpc 2.2, he even has a dedicated video for 'constructing songs from sequences in 2.2'. Search for mpc in his youtube channel and you'll find everything.
Old 24th April 2018
Well I record only hardware synths with it...lhavent used the software but I had a studio for years so Im familiar with it. You can ask in here (always helps other n00bs to it), or PM me...I dont need cash and basic questions shouldnt embarass you, just fire away
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm trying to avoid the bible... like the plague. having to wade through hundreds of pages is a sure fire way of me not wanting to even touch the MPC.

i just need someone who has gotten their external synth recorded as MIDI in MPC and got filter sweeps etc from it automated and automated VST effects too.

i will mange building a track myself so forget about that but the MIDI stuff i feel like tearing my hair out every time i approach it and have been stuck on it for far too long. though as an upside i have gotten lots of keyboard practice in in the meanwhile but now i really want to start sequencing.

if anyone feels like answering one or two PMs every few days over the next couple weeks please PM me, should be simple for anyone with the experience.
What do you need to know? I can answer here, nobody will mind. I don't want money. If I don't know the answer someone else might.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

ok thanks guys. any time i try this the replies invariably dry up and i lose interest, even though i know this is what i want to be doing. not got a good temperament for fiddly settings etc. got all these ideas but been stuck trying to get passed this barrier for years now and always fail so i was willing to pay someone. wish someone would release a decent HW sequencer... one that doesn't top out at 4 measly bars!

i have the studio black.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoul View Post
because we want to make money making or playing music and not stealing from newbie mpc users :D

Haha, right... or we earn money in other things just to spend it on gear :D
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikeRivera View Post
Haha, right... or we earn money in other things just to spend it on gear :D
ahah exactly
here spending money on gear i guess is a common problem :D
Old 24th April 2018
Quote:
ok thanks guys. any time i try this the replies invariably dry up and i lose interest, even though i know this is what i want to be doing. not got a good temperament for fiddly settings etc. got all these ideas but been stuck trying to get passed this barrier for years now and always fail so i was willing to pay someone. wish someone would release a decent HW sequencer... one that doesn't top out at 4 measly bars!

i have the studio black.
I wont give up on you baby x

Seriously the MPC just takes a slightly different mind set from linear daws, Im not saying its easier, but its not that fiddly once youve done the same task a few times. Just think of it as blocks that you will eventually chain then turn into one sequence/song. The audio part of hardware, Ive found, is either best played last over the song, or recorded per sequence and bounced to a sample. I havent tried hardware automation in the software but Im sure either someone else has or itll take a few minutes to figure out.

We’d all help complete n00bs in here so helping an active member is no bother.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

Powering External Synth from USB port?

I have been running a config in the studio where I plug in a Roland boutique to USB power on a power strip. I run audio into the MPC Live, midi sequence the boutique, etc. from the MPC. Works great.

I am currently testing to see if I can plug the boutique USB power into one of the Live USB ports which works as far as powering it. When I set the track to a midi track through all I get from the boutique is garbage, to the point is sometimes freezes it up requiring me to unplug it. If I unplug the DIN cable I get nothing which appears like nothing is going across USB.

Is this configuring not possible? Is some data going out of the USB ports at this point? This happens as soon as I select midi as the track type. I can switch it to another type and it clears up immediately. I have tested disabling all midi sync etc. but get the same results.
Old 24th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
i'm trying to avoid the bible... like the plague. having to wade through hundreds of pages is a sure fire way of me not wanting to even touch the MPC.
I understand that approaches to breaking in new gear vary from person to person but imho the bible would help you get a grasp not only on certain aspects of the Live but enable you to understand it throughly. Especially if the MPC logic is somewhat new to you.
I’ve been using the 1000 (jjos ofc) for quite a while and am familiar with the workflow but reading the Live bible a couple of times helped me really understand this very powerful machine. And it’s written in a very logical and straightforward way.

The way I see it, there are things MPC is supposed to do, but if you really learn how to get down with it you can get it to do pretty much whatever, to some extent.

Also, a sidenote, can’t remember if it was discussed before but - running a signal through the LINE IN and out through any of the outputs delays it for 13 ms, on my machine. Without any inserts. Is that something which is common for the rest of you guys?
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner7 View Post
I have been running a config in the studio where I plug in a Roland boutique to USB power on a power strip. I run audio into the MPC Live, midi sequence the boutique, etc. from the MPC. Works great.

I am currently testing to see if I can plug the boutique USB power into one of the Live USB ports which works as far as powering it. When I set the track to a midi track through all I get from the boutique is garbage, to the point is sometimes freezes it up requiring me to unplug it. If I unplug the DIN cable I get nothing which appears like nothing is going across USB.

Is this configuring not possible? Is some data going out of the USB ports at this point? This happens as soon as I select midi as the track type. I can switch it to another type and it clears up immediately. I have tested disabling all midi sync etc. but get the same results.
It works by sending class-compliant midi to the usb port. I don't think the Roland pieces are solely a class compliant midi device.

other class compliant midi stuff (like my Pro 2, and my Nord Lead 4) work, so I suspect the roland's wont because they are also audio devices, and probably require a driver of some kind.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jankincl View Post
I understand that approaches to breaking in new gear vary from person to person but imho the bible would help you get a grasp not only on certain aspects of the Live but enable you to understand it throughly. Especially if the MPC logic is somewhat new to you.
I’ve been using the 1000 (jjos ofc) for quite a while and am familiar with the workflow but reading the Live bible a couple of times helped me really understand this very powerful machine. And it’s written in a very logical and straightforward way.

The way I see it, there are things MPC is supposed to do, but if you really learn how to get down with it you can get it to do pretty much whatever, to some extent.

Also, a sidenote, can’t remember if it was discussed before but - running a signal through the LINE IN and out through any of the outputs delays it for 13 ms, on my machine. Without any inserts. Is that something which is common for the rest of you guys?
yes i've notice if u record from external is in a way synced because the machine cut a part of the starting sample... would be nice to reduce buffer size cache when u use the machine "light" and to record external synth
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

To anyone's knowledge (I've searched, believe me) ... is there a video somewhere demonstrating any large subset of the MPC Live's factory soundset?

Thanks in advance ...
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
fx presets... soon. not 2.2 but soon
Being relatively new in the forum, I got one things that is dear to me, MIDI...

Is assigning MIDI *In* Port/Channel to tracks (a.k.a. multi-timbral) visible on the horizon, at all in the future?

Is being able to use *USB* MIDI *Out* Ports visible on the horizon, at all in the future?

IF they're in the picture at all, is what I personally care about.

Oh in STANDALONE mode, of course. I don't use the software.

(If I have missed past posts, I do humbly apologize.)

Thank you,
/E
Old 24th April 2018
So now the already bloated MPC LIVE Thread is a tutorial for one person using MPC Studio?
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
So now the already bloated MPC LIVE Thread is a tutorial for one person using MPC Studio?
The tolerance of people becomes a more and more a rare property on this planet
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Maniac

As Dan says, maybe is on Roland's side. I own a Roland JdXi and remember you can choose between Roland or Class Compliant MIDI over Usb. Maybe you can try this if your device allows to.
Old 24th April 2018
Quote:
Has it?
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Has it?
Yeah, I think that was a little harsh.

I think people like sharing experiences with what has worked and not worked. Plus others like to ask questions as to what some more involved users have accomplished with Live. This is good.

It does help, however, to read this thread in it's entirety if one has not been following it. It will cut down on bloat.
Old 25th April 2018
I thought it was going to end up PMs anyway and some of the routing stuff is worth mentioning in here...MPC Studio uses v2 now, its exactly the same procedure with the Live/X standalone as it is the v2 software when it comes to recording external synths

besides if we are talking bloat theres prolly about three pages worth of my live on my coffee table pictures...maybe they need a thread of their own
Old 25th April 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Does anyone have the MPC Stoftware 2.2 working on Windows 7?
Old 25th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHG View Post
Does anyone have the MPC Stoftware 2.2 working on Windows 7?
I thinks its only windows 8.1 or newer.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

I like the excitement for the product. It also let's Akai know that we are all in. This forums seems more active than the ones on FB. So I am glad we have it.

The MPC Live is kinda of a scary product. Trying to learn it. Trying to decide if it will help one's music. Trying to know if the bugs are gonna be a problem long term. Trying see how easily it will work with other gear. Does it have the MPC magic? Can it become an industry standard in hardware sampling and sequencing? Will it work well for live performance? This site helps people to decide if they should get one or if they should keep it and give it a chance.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love the bloat. I'm hoping we either a) achieve some kind of GS record (and are all given a financial reward or at least a trophy), or b) prompt the mods to give us a dedicated sub forum, not because we need it but because we're annoying everyone else. I for one am going to continue to bloat this thread until either a) MPC Live II becomes a thing, or b) there's nobody left here and I'll claim this thread as my own.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektrobolt View Post
Being relatively new in the forum, I got one things that is dear to me, MIDI...

Is assigning MIDI *In* Port/Channel to tracks (a.k.a. multi-timbral) visible on the horizon, at all in the future?

Is being able to use *USB* MIDI *Out* Ports visible on the horizon, at all in the future?

IF they're in the picture at all, is what I personally care about.

Oh in STANDALONE mode, of course. I don't use the software.

(If I have missed past posts, I do humbly apologize.)

Thank you,
/E
Dan has mentioned that each of these has at least been on Akai's radar, but I'll let him speak for himself. In this thread, both of those have been mentioned as potential significant features (perhaps the only remaining major deficiencies of this machine).
Old 25th April 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I thinks its only windows 8.1 or newer.
Thanks for the reply! I saw on the Akai website that it is officially only supported for Windows 8.1 or newer. But from a Google search, I found that a few people were using MPC Software v1.9 without a problem on Windows 7. I could not find any reports of MPC Software v2.2 working on Windows 7 so far though.

If anyone has v2.2 working on Windows 7, would love to know. Thanks!
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Dan has mentioned that each of these has at least been on Akai's radar, but I'll let him speak for himself. In this thread, both of those have been mentioned as potential significant features (perhaps the only remaining major deficiencies of this machine).
I'm expecting side chain any minute now
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

i clogged up the thread and i didn't even ask my first question yet

the studio uses the exact same software! i guess X users aren't allowed to speak either?

i am trying to get help by official channels. so you can all return to bitching about bugs and missing features
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search