The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC live
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This is no time for a holiday Daniel. This is THIS.
Old 12th May 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I just checked it out. We're all three or four synths parts hard panned left? It sounded weird. Don't think it's my headphones. What was weird was that while monitoring and recording she had a mono sound,but after recording the playback came back on the left channel only, for all her parts. Strange.
In the YouTube comments, the poster said that the mono sound was due to a mistake on her part.

On the bright side, it looked easy to record into the Live.

It's also strange she recorded line level via phono! There is warning in the Akai manual (and on the spec page on its website) saying don't do this.
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
you can switch it phono/line
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimensionsTomorrow View Post
In the YouTube comments, the poster said that the mono sound was due to a mistake on her part.

It's also strange she recorded line level via phono! There is warning in the Akai manual (and on the spec page on its website) saying don't do this.
As long it samples in mono, I'm happy

Last edited by ILL GREEN; 12th May 2017 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Bumpkin is back!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Yea, I figured something was up. Since it seems that she recorded to a predetermined measure and had the sequence loop, was that considered an audio track in MPC world, a sample, a loop ? Was she using up an audio tracks with that workflow?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Yea, I figured something was up. Since it seems that she recorded to a predetermined measure and had the sequence loop, was that considered an audio track in MPC world, a sample, a loop ? Was she using up an audio tracks with that workflow?
That's an audio track. You have up to eight of those kind of linear tracks.

I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to then use it as a sample you could assign the loop to a program, and then trigger it on a midi track, thus freeing up an audio track.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MacProVideo has a new tutorial up on the MPC Live. Haven't watched it yet but will do so in the evening.

https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial...101-learn-live

/C
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
New Akai MPC Live Review - Ask Audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsO5VlEO2nk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legman View Post
I am doomed. Gas hitting overdrive. Looks like a fantastic machine.

/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
I am doomed. Gas hitting overdrive. Looks like a fantastic machine.

/C
that is a GREAT video. shows off exactly what you can do with the thing. all in standalone mode too. i think people have been a little too critical of it. wanting it to be something it's not. it's an mpc and behaves like an mpc. granted, akai had a long list of promises at launch. it's definitely a beta product but they appear to be actively improving and adding things. assuming the sales numbers are there, i don't see them abandoning this anytime soon. i think they have finally found the perfect balance of standalone and connected controller.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On that video where he's using the chord trigger option, are they samples or layered notes?

If he were to go back into grid view would that show the component notes of the chord?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
On that video where he's using the chord trigger option, are they samples or layered notes?

If he were to go back into grid view would that show the component notes of the chord?
It's actually midi that's​ triggering the samples in a keygroup and yes the midi shows up on the grid...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack Dammit View Post
It's actually midi that's​ triggering the samples in a keygroup and yes the midi shows up on the grid...
I'm assuming you can use that feature for midi sequencing other instruments as well? If so, that is sweet.
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Man, I'm going through serious ups and downs with this thing. Seems great but then I read all the negative comments on MPC forums and it makes me seriously concerned. I'm not liking what I'm reading about Akai moving so quickly from one machine to the next or the hardware issues people have with their older products (lots of complaints about pad failure, etc). Erg.
Old 12th May 2017
just saw that the live's SD slot should support SDXC cards.

https://twitter.com/petegoodliffe/st...72595723124738
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Man, I'm going through serious ups and downs with this thing. Seems great but then I read all the negative comments on MPC forums and it makes me seriously concerned. I'm not liking what I'm reading about Akai moving so quickly from one machine to the next or the hardware issues people have with their older products (lots of complaints about pad failure, etc). Erg.
Then dont buy it..
mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Eh, the dissatisfied tend to be louder. Five years on, and Akai hasn't abandoned MPC Software and its controllers. The 5000 was left with some unresolved bugs, so that criticism is fair. But on the whole, I don't consider product abandonment to be a concern with the new MPCs. As for the pads, akai's sensor design has stood the test of time (and is essentially copied in most competing products, from Push 2, Maschine, and the MV on down to the Pad Kontrol and Trigger Finger etc). But like anything else, some will fail, which IMO is to be expected. Replacement parts are cheap, readily available (even for the 30 year old MPC60), and a cinch to install; that and a low failure rate are the hallmarks of sound engineering.

Sounds to me like a classic case of unhappy customers being the loudest. At the risk of downplaying their gripes, the reality is they haven't abandoned ship, and that says more to me than their complaints do, to be honest.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Then dont buy it..
Or buy it and see if it clicks with you and if not sale it.......
Buy from somewhere like GC where you get a good 45 days or something to see if you really dig it and if you don't, take it back and get all your coins back minus re_stocking fee..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
MacProVideo has a new tutorial up on the MPC Live. Haven't watched it yet but will do so in the evening.

https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial...101-learn-live

/C
I bought the Macprovideo Elektron Analog Four tutorial when I first got my A4. The tutorial was very helpful. If they have one for the MPC Live, I'll def buy that tutorial as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midilifestyle View Post
I'm with you on that: something like a 'midi implementation chart' just wouldn't make sense for something like this, just like it wouldn't make sense for something like Ableton Live or Reaktor.

What WOULD make total sense would be a midi assignment scheme: like in software, you select something that you want to control and then tell it what CC it will receive or send it that CC. This could conceivably happen in the same type of screen you use to set up the MPC as a controller: rather than tell it what CC to send from that control, you tell it what CC to receive at that control.

It would even be awesome if the Q-link knobs simply responded to incoming midi cc's. In that way, you could decide what 16 CCs the MPC will receive when its in program edit mode, or in other modes, etc. That ought to be relatively straightforward to implement and would be a massive improvement over the current state of affairs.
External control based on the small number of CC's the Q-Link knobs are assigned to transmit is far too limited.

Why not implement NRPN in addition to CC? If NRPN is used a midi implementation chart would completely makes sense.

NRPN provides 16384 possibilities of parameters to control from an external device! CC gives 128 possibilities. Between NRPN and CC there should be more than enough to control virtually every parameter of the MPC from an external DAW or Sequencer.

Full NRPN implementation (transmit AND receive) would make the Live and X a POWERHOUSE!

Poor MIDI CC and NRPM implementation in my Akai Z8 is my biggest disappointment with it. MIDI implementation is is one of the main reasons I am considering a sampler upgrade. If full CC and NRPN are not implemented I am not gaining what I had been excited about. I really hope full MIDI implementation can be worked in to the new MPCs.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Or buy it and see if it clicks with you and if not sale it.......
Buy from somewhere like GC where you get a good 45 days or something to see if you really dig it and if you don't, take it back and get all your coins back minus re_stocking fee..
I see your assuming everyone is in the states.....
Deleted d59bfd5 πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
I see your assuming everyone is in the states.....
Thomann (Europe) got a "30 day money back" option, too
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 4bd7473 View Post
Did your live ever come in? Also did you ever complete your desk?
Just arrived today!

Desk is almost complete, now that I got the Live, I can get started on the wooden panels with metal grills for the side. Should take a day or two and it'll be finished.

You can peep the progress of the super-stand here: Akai MPC Forums - The MPC-Live Super Wood Stand Project : MPC Customisation & Studio DIY Projects
mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
External control based on the small number of CC's the Q-Link knobs are assigned to transmit is far too limited.

Why not implement NRPN in addition to CC? If NRPN is used a midi implementation chart would completely makes sense.

NRPN provides 16384 possibilities of parameters to control from an external device! CC gives 128 possibilities. Between NRPN and CC there should be more than enough to control virtually every parameter of the MPC from an external DAW or Sequencer.

Full NRPN implementation (transmit AND receive) would make the Live and X a POWERHOUSE!

Poor MIDI CC and NRPM implementation in my Akai Z8 is my biggest disappointment with it. MIDI implementation is is one of the main reasons I am considering a sampler upgrade. If full CC and NRPN are not implemented I am not gaining what I had been excited about. I really hope full MIDI implementation can be worked in to the new MPCs.
There are far more than 16384 parameters.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d59bfd5 View Post
Thomann (Europe) got a "30 day money back" option, too
I wont need it lol. I will be buying, once I have made room, and sold a few bits of gear I no longer need or want...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN View Post
Just arrived today!

Desk is almost complete, now that I got the Live, I can get started on the wooden panels with metal grills for the side. Should take a day or two and it'll be finished.

You can peep the progress of the super-stand here: Akai MPC Forums - The MPC-Live Super Wood Stand Project : MPC Customisation & Studio DIY Projects

Congrats you've been wanting it from the get-go! Let us know your thoughts after you dig in for a few days...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
There are far more than 16384 parameters.
In what way?
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If I put a drive in this and fill it full of sample libraries, am I able to audition the sounds straight off the disk or do I need to import it first?
Deleted 4bd7473 πŸŽ™οΈ
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Congrats you've been wanting it from the get-go! Let us know your thoughts after you dig in for a few days...
Thanks Smack!! Right now, from the 20 minutes I was using it out the box, the battery was at 9% and there were no signs of fatique at all. It was easy getting around the machine but I found myself a few times trying to find an Exit button on certains screens. I did find ways to get out, it seems like a new workflow for me to get use to, but feels slick and nicely done than older MPCs. I'm letting it charge, gonna dabble in tonight.
πŸ“ Reply