The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
u-he Repro-1 public beta, SCI Pro-One emulation
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
u-he Repro-1, SCI Pro-One emulation

The plugin will work as free beta until the end of 2016.
Go to u-he forum on kvr for a download link and user/serial.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6603621

*It is not the same thing as that old researchware alpha.

Finding a good audio quality demo of the real one with no effects took me good few minutes:
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was playing with the Repro-1 by U-He this morning and it sounds brilliant.
Old 3rd November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny ➑️
I was playing with the Repro-1 by U-He this morning and it sounds brilliant.
Yeah.
Though as i have no direct experience with Pro-One, i have no idea how close it is to the hardware.
Would be nice to hear some sounds where we could compare A/B, like Synapse Audio did in their The Legend thread.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've purchased it this morning. I think it sounds really great.

I've never owned a Pro-One. I actually found one for a reasonable price when I was living in the US very long time ago, but I was too late. I just looked up today's price of the real thing, and holy crap I love software.

This little thing is a monster - it can do very wide range of sounds despite looking like a simple mono synth. The filter sounds better than how I remember the alpha, very full and tasty. I love it.

Minimoog and Pro-One were the two mono synths I've wanted for a long time, and the Legend and Repro-1 are just excellent. I'm happy.
Old 3rd November 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I've never owned a Pro 1, but this thing sounds fantastic. The effects are beautiful!

The only thing I don't quite get is why they went for a circuit board interface look for the "tweak" page. To me it's just noisy and cluttered. It does like to suck up some CPU cycles, that's for sure, but it's worth it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
The only thing I don't quite get is why they went for a circuit board interface look for the "tweak" page. To me it's just noisy and cluttered.
Right.

Quote:
It does like to suck up some CPU cycles, that's for sure, but it's worth it.
3-4% on my cheaply built PC.

I like how the feedback sounds.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I make these cheat sheets for myself every time I map a synth onto Launch Control XL, but I thought maybe some people would want to see how this controller can be used.

Here's how I've mapped the parameters of Repro-1 on LCXL. As you can see, most of the important parameters fit quite nicely. It's not exactly the same layout as the GUI, but I assign the similar parameters to the same knobs for other synths I have for consistency. This way I would never get confused when switching between synths.

The buttons at bottom send out notes by default, but I've changed them to CC/toggle mode instead. I usually split up parameters into groups of 4, and have the LED reflect the zones.
Attached Thumbnails
u-he Repro-1 public beta, SCI Pro-One emulation-u-he-repro-1.jpg  
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➑️
3-4% on my cheaply built PC.
On my i7 3.4 ghz, it'll take Live 9 from 3% to 32% if I have effects on and feedback cranked. I'm not complaining. The way I work with hardware instruments as well as software instruments lets me get away with it.

Quote:
I like how the feedback sounds.
Indeed.
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can't wait to try it! The manual looks like the original. Very nice tribute!
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I thought the alpha sounded great so keen on this. My pro 1 is a maintenance nightmare so a step to the software dark side for this one is highly likely
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I do have a pro one, which is now in pieces, my closest friend has one too so I've compared it to his and i have tones of samples of mine, and Uhe nailed it, it's extremely close if not bang on. The snap of the envelopes, I've been waiting for that done right in software forever and he nailed it. Try it, if you love Pro Ones, you will be really happy with this.
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bought the same day it has been released. Amazing emulation.
Old 4th November 2016 | Show parent
Urs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
a circuit board interface look for the "tweak" page.
It's sheer eye candy. Something we did for ourselves.

But also, it's a statement for how this synth came about. More so than Diva we had to open the boxes and measure the **** out of them. The mod system of the Pro-One and whatever they've been smoking back then make it impossible to look at the modules in isolation. I think there was a point where I could have drawn the circuit board out of my head, including the mushrooms and the buddha. It's a token of how we approached the synth's development.*

However, there's also a serious statement to be made here. All parameters available on the tweak page make Repro-1 divert from the original hardware. I believe that tucking these away, even "hiding" them, makes the emulation appear more authentic. If someone switches the LFO upside down, they *know* that they're hacking the hardware.

I'm sure though someone will do a skin with everything on top. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

Cheers,

- U

*I recently became aware that another emulation of something else by someone else was solely based on a scientific model, where the actual hardware doesn't seem to been taken in consideration at all. The more important for me to point out that we got our hands dirty, not just our brains.
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Urs,

just want to say its much appreciated that you come along to share inside information and gather feedback.

I tested the RePro-1 beta. Sounds very good to my ears, tho i never had the original hardware.

Did you think about reaching out to Roland and discuss with them wether it would be possible to bring the "model" live on their System-1/8 controllers? No clue if this is at all possible, but it would be awesome. Just saying.

Cheers,
C.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urs ➑️
It's sheer eye candy.
Hehe, OK.

In case you missed my bug report on KVR (that thread is way more busy):
It is impossible to play a note more than once if MIDI sustain is ON.
No other virtual synth behaves this way.
Urs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec ➑️
Did you think about reaching out to Roland and discuss with them wether it would be possible to bring the "model" live on their System-1/8 controllers? No clue if this is at all possible, but it would be awesome. Just saying.
I'm sure it would be awesome, but, hehehe, honestly I'd much rather spend time doing creative stuff than deploying new platforms. If Roland had an easy enough SDK out there, I could just get a student or intern to do this, but as it stands now I guess I'd be locked up in platform coding for a few months.
Urs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In case you missed my bug report on KVR (that thread is way more busy)
Our support team and Q&A scavenge the threads for bug reports. I'm sure they've already created a ticket for this.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec ➑️
A plugout and a VSTi - 2 different things.
Forget about it.
It would require some serious development time, in a highly unlikely case that Roland would agree.
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just spent a couple hours testing out 'RePro-1'...

unbelievable, i'm almost shocked at how good this thing is. i don't even know what else to say right now. holy cow.
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Im so glad someone modelled the ProOne. This synth has the perfect combination of simple layout with the right bells and whistles to keep it interesting. One of my favourite monophonics.
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I shall be picking this up over the weekend, great work!
Old 4th November 2016
Deleted e71ab78
Will download this later, looking forward to hearing it
Urs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➑️
just spent a couple hours testing out 'RePro-1'...

unbelievable, i'm almost shocked at how good this thing is. i don't even know what else to say right now. holy cow.
Hehehe, awesome, thank you - can we quote you on this?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hehehe, awesome, thank you - can we quote you on this?
certainly!

with all the crap i talk about 'Diva' (and generally feel bad about because you guys are way cool), i'm genuinely thrilled to be able to praise 'RePro-1' so highly. i knew from the Alpha filter test earlier this year that this would be good, but it has certainly exceeded my expectations. this thing is amazing, the way that all the components work together and in the quirky fashion that they do. a total dream synth for "experimental sounds" (at least as far as most other popular monos are concerned), most fun i've had in a while. it sounds/feels/acts like it's "alive". amazing job with this, really. a "must buy" for any true synth fan.

i think a lot of it has to do with the lay-out and functionality (plus the sound, of course) of the 'SCI Pro-One' itself. such a feature-packed synth, i'm sorry that i never ended up buying on years ago. wasn't too thrilled with the general build quality of it, and a few other reasons put me off it. was always torn about that, as huge fan of early Skinny Puppy which made much use of the 'Pro-One'.

i'm just hoping that i haven't been blacklisted from buying your products (also still quite interested in 'Bazille').
Urs
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hah, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➑️
i'm just hoping that i haven't been blacklisted from buying your products (also still quite interested in 'Bazille').
Nah, the only blacklists are for people whose credit card bounces.
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Must say I never was a big fan of the u-he synths. Diva/Zebra are sounding too smooth for my taste.

But this one is a different beast. Looks good, sounds good and it's fun to tweak. The sequencer is brilliant. Will buy it.
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thank you so much, Urs!!! I lost my synth virginity to the Sequential Circuits Pro-1 and you've magically rekindled that flame. It's the one synth that I will always regret selling back in 1989. Nobody has been really able to touch this synth until now! It sounds incredible and feels like the very first time again!
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm sure it would be awesome, but, hehehe, honestly I'd much rather spend time doing creative stuff than deploying new platforms. If Roland had an easy enough SDK out there, I could just get a student or intern to do this, but as it stands now I guess I'd be locked up in platform coding for a few months.
Yea thats understandable. Cant wait for Z3 either.

Trotzdem etwas schade ;-)

Quote:
A plugout and a VSTi - 2 different things.
Forget about it.
It would require some serious development time, in a highly unlikely case that Roland would agree.
Yeah, you are right. Got this from Urs reply.

However Roland would be pretty stupid not to agree. Apple can only sell so much overprized hardware (iphone, ipad) due to the huge demand of all that 3rd party content (apps) running on them. If a lot of 3rd party content developers would code PlugOuts, Roland would sell much more Systems.
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think cpu load is ok. It hits 12% in ableton. But if you want something special you have to pay %
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's sheer eye candy. Something we did for ourselves.

But also, it's a statement for how this synth came about. More so than Diva we had to open the boxes and measure the **** out of them. The mod system of the Pro-One and whatever they've been smoking back then make it impossible to look at the modules in isolation. I think there was a point where I could have drawn the circuit board out of my head, including the mushrooms and the buddha. It's a token of how we approached the synth's development.*

However, there's also a serious statement to be made here. All parameters available on the tweak page make Repro-1 divert from the original hardware. I believe that tucking these away, even "hiding" them, makes the emulation appear more authentic. If someone switches the LFO upside down, they *know* that they're hacking the hardware.

I'm sure though someone will do a skin with everything on top. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

Cheers,

- U

*I recently became aware that another emulation of something else by someone else was solely based on a scientific model, where the actual hardware doesn't seem to been taken in consideration at all. The more important for me to point out that we got our hands dirty, not just our brains.
I'm probably more sensitive about things like this than most. I do user interface design (mostly games) and my philosophy has been "if a visual element does not make the interface easier or more clear to use, ditch it." Eye candy is usually just an impediment for the user. I'm not saying that aesthetic choices and some visual embellishments don't help give users a vibe and excitement for the software, but in this case it just becomes hard to figure out what is going on. What can I click on? What's changeable? Ah, those are jumpers and trimpots. I know what those are. You know what those are, but my guess is that a large majority of people who work with software synths will not know what those things even are. I'm happy that you added some fun ways to tweak. They just seem confusing to use.

Anyway, minor complaints. The sound is fantastic. The wavefolder is worthy of being it's own plug in. (well all the effects are) This is shaping up to be a very good year for analog modeling.
πŸ“ Reply