The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
HELP using a Lap Top LIVE
Old 28th February 2007
Gear Head

HELP using a Lap Top LIVE

At home, my home computer has all the interfaces, large midi keybaord, keyboard/synths, protools, reason 3, software ... etc..
and now I've created my quick on the go portable backpack Laptop to work on music on the go and quick plug in for live.

But in this backpack to work on music on the fly I want to be able to keep it simple, light, and least amount of gear with the ability to go into a mixer, PA, DI, on stage ..etc...
Being I wanna keep it to a minimum for travel purposes (backpack) to Just a:

~ Computer lap Top
~ mini midi keyboard
~ wire(s) to connect to a mixer, PA, DI etc...(if needed)

I'm still pondering the thought of getting the O2 and going out thru my Headphone jack of my computer. Most Dj's these days in niteclubs go directly out of thier headphone jack of thier computers. I've even seen someone show up with only an IPOD. So goin out my computer "Headphone" jack isnt a bad idea just the sound quility from what some would say would be better going thru an "external interface".
Although my comuter says its equipt with HD audio whatever that means.

Now as far as "external interfaces" go the M-audio Ozone is a midi controller and external sound interface in one.
I was woundering how well it worked using as both a midi controller and quality of the output of its sound interface.

HELP

Should I go thru my computer "headphones" jack for audio output and use the O2 for my mini midi keys.
or
Should I go thru the Ozone for both mini midi keys and audio output.

Audio output using trs cables into a mixer or DI for live use.

Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear

I know a bunch of pretty well known electronic music guys and most of them just use the headphone out on their powerbooks. When I first started I had a separate interface but I really cant notice any discernable difference in sound quality. I would just go for a laptop and a midi controller. One USB cable and you are done. Im starting to think the laptop is a waste of time altogether as well. You can get those ipod remotes that can play/pause etc without needing to touch the laptop. That way you can have your backing tracks coming from the ipod and do something mroe interesting with your hands than just playing solitaire on stage.
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Head

hahahaha "That way you can have your backing tracks coming from the ipod and do something mroe interesting with your hands than just playing solitaire on stage."
Thats funny!

Yeah, seriously Thanks!

Lap Top & mini Midi controller is it.
I'll pass on the interface.
Light & Simple. Least amount of gear and stuff to plug in.
This way I can travel and work on music anywhere and ready to plug it in anywhere Live.

Eventually I'll pick up that Ipod & throw that in the backpack as well!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search