The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Monologue
Old 12th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdog237 View Post
That's a good idea! I'll try that.

Did you manage to sync them up so the transposed sequences start perfectly on beat, even if you didn't press the key prefectly on beat? I've already got them set up so the BPM is in sync perfectly.

What are the disadvantages you mentioned?
Nah, I gave up using the key trig/hold button on about day 3 of my Monologue ownership and just used the slider. Of the monosynths I've got the AS-1 has the best no-brainer sequencer transposition.

The main cv disadvantage I found (apart from the fact that over midi I could set patch 56 on the Monologue to set patch 56 on Mopho bank 1, patch 56 on AS-1, patch 56 on an Eventide Space pedal for song set-up recall) was that over cv an 8x2 step sequence on the Monologue would set the Sample off at double time, fine for nosebleed techno but not much else.
Show replies
Old 12th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobswans View Post
Figured it out, Your file doesn't write any patches to slots 38-42, That's why I was seeing other patches in those locations after sending your sysex file.

So when I send your sysex file to my Monologue it only writes patches to slots
1 to 38 + 42 to 53 and 100
So in total the file has 50 patches.
I'll get the Monologue patch librarian thing and see if that works.
Show replies
Old 17th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Figured it out, Your file doesn't write any patches to slots 38-42, That's why I was seeing other patches in those locations after sending your sysex file.

So when I send your sysex file to my Monologue it only writes patches to slots
1 to 38 + 42 to 53 and 100
So in total the file has 50 patches.
Ok, here it is done with the Monologue Sound Librarian.

It should be all good to go now.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...25473469542504
Show replies
Old 19th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post

Thanks, I'm going to have a play with them today.
Show replies
Old 24th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post

Thanks again for these, some really nice patches. Everything works a treat now.
Show replies
Old 24th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks again for these, some really nice patches. Everything works a treat now.
You are welcome, glad it all works now.
Show replies
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Since I won't be getting my Monologue back for another week and during lockdown I've been getting interested in the microtonal thing, anyone on here got any experience of setting it up for that? The manual makes it sound fairly painless, but irl what are the best scales to set it up for? Is it the same process for the Minilogue/Wavestate etc? None of the other synths I have seem like they do user scales at all.
Show replies
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I am originally a bass player and now considering Monologue as a bass synth to play some pop, hop and dance music live in my cover band. It is the most suitable for my needs reguarding price an features. I like the idea to use the sequencer to play some side chain bass lines and stuff like this. What do you think about it? I don't have any experience in this cause I'm a pretty old school but the reality is that just bass guitar is no longer enough for the modern music.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukyBass View Post
I am originally a bass player and now considering Monologue as a bass synth to play some pop, hop and dance music live in my cover band. It is the most suitable for my needs reguarding price an features. I like the idea to use the sequencer to play some side chain bass lines and stuff like this. What do you think about it? I don't have any experience in this cause I'm a pretty old school but the reality is that just bass guitar is no longer enough for the modern music.
The type of bass this does is not Moog-y....I don't think it is good as a traditional bass synth....others do it better. If you want a well rounded synth with a lot of sound potential that can do bass good (but not as good as a Moog or an ARP) I would go for the Dave Smith Instruments (now Sequential) Mopho keyboard. I liked mine, it is a little more work to program than a Monologue....but there is a lot more under the hood. I upgraded to the 4 Voice version, the Mopho x4....so it can be a mono synth and do chords. It's not too much more than the regular Mopho. It all comes down to personal taste. If you do get a Monologue, I can give you some free patches....but very few of them are bass patches.
Show replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Since I won't be getting my Monologue back for another week and during lockdown I've been getting interested in the microtonal thing, anyone on here got any experience of setting it up for that? The manual makes it sound fairly painless, but irl what are the best scales to set it up for? Is it the same process for the Minilogue/Wavestate etc? None of the other synths I have seem like they do user scales at all.

I haven't tried uploading my own, but it looks very easy to do with the librarian.

On the monologue there's a pretty significant issue though; the filter key tracking ignores the microtonal scales. I assume that could be changed with new firmware though.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukyBass View Post
The Monologue is good for bass, but echoing Somebodyperson, maybe not the bass you're looking for, though I'd suggest looking at the Pioneer/Dave Smith AS-1 rather than the Mopho. It sounds better, and what you lose in programming depth vs ease of use is a trade-off I'm happy with. What both of their sequencers will do is let you transpose your sequence mid-bar just like that where a lot of synths insist on retriggering to the start of the sequence, which for playing live is just a pain. Other possible is the Roland JD-Xi. Nice-sounding analog monosynth plus all the Roland non-analog bass sounds on top. No experience of the sequencer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudinthenight View Post
I haven't tried uploading my own, but it looks very easy to do with the librarian.

On the monologue there's a pretty significant issue though; the filter key tracking ignores the microtonal scales. I assume that could be changed with new firmware though.
Yes it turned out to be easy to drop a couple of Scala files into the librarian. There are also 'mts' midi tuning scale files you may need also to add in order to shift the tuning but I haven't figured that out. I like 19-EDO. It maps well to the 25 keys of the Monologue, music theory-wise it apparently does nice minor thirds and adheres to 12-ET's 'circle of fifths' and it doesn't seem to have any of the 'wolf' notes that can make a lot of alternate tunings sound a bit too weird.

I get what you mean about the filter tracking, I've had enough synths with no filter that I can live without it. What would be a nice firmware update would be if the pitch-bend could be as finely calibrated as the vco 2 pitch knob.
Show replies
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Did a quick search but couldn't find an answer so figured I should ask here, is it possible to do shorter than 16 step sequences on the internal sequencer?

Obvious answer would be yes, but sometimes very logical features are not necessarily implemented.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redo View Post
is it possible to do shorter than 16 step sequences on the internal sequencer?
Yes
Show replies
Gear Head

Cheers, thanks a lot!
Show replies
📝 Reply