The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Monologue
Old 20th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
I know you didn’t ask but...
Don’t you think it’s too much compromise to do it that way? I mean you’re losing 2 of the four tracks that the JDXI has. Maybe it would be more efficient if you put something like an Electribe Sampler between them, or a digitakt that way you would get 2 analog voices, 2 VA, drum machine, sequencer/fx, and sampler. More than enough to do some damage!

Just friendly advice, not judging.
Honestly, I don't find the JD's analog synth to be all that great, I'm happy to trade that for the Monologue. I don't like losing one VA channel, but right now all I have is a stereo input audio interface, so I'm effectively using the JD as a mixer so I can get everything recorded in my computer. And the consolation prize there is that the Monologue gets FX, so it's not so bad. I still have drums, bass (Monologue), and a poly (JD VA) so it's still a good number of tracks to jam ideas, and it forces me to fill space with less, which I like. I have other VA synths in my PC with much nicer interfaces too, so it's not a big deal.
Old 4th December 2019
Lives for gear

Checking .... there's no sequence nudge on the Monologue, is there?
Old 4th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
Checking .... there's no sequence nudge on the Monologue, is there?
Nudge by a step or nudge by less than a step? Per step I suppose you could momentarily reduce step length by one to nudge it ahead by one (or more), you wouldn't be able to do the opposite unless your original step length is less than 16 steps. Nudge by tiny increments I'm not too sure off the top of my head.
Old 4th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
Nudge by a step or nudge by less than a step? Per step I suppose you could momentarily reduce step length by one to nudge it ahead by one (or more), you wouldn't be able to do the opposite unless your original step length is less than 16 steps. Nudge by tiny increments I'm not too sure off the top of my head.
Nudge the whole sequence by whole steps like you can on the Circuit. It's iriitating when you get a decent groove going only to find the natural first beat is in the middle.
Old 21st December 2019
Turned my Monologue into a module today, came out great! Setup is so much more ergonomic now.
Attached Thumbnails
Korg Monologue-img_20191220_151057601-2.jpg  
Old 21st December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavadisco View Post
Turned my Monologue into a module today, came out great! Setup is so much more ergonomic now.
!request pics of the bottom portion where the keyboard was cut out.
Old 21st December 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs View Post
!request pics of the bottom portion where the keyboard was cut out.
It's currently just a hole, but the stand that it's on was designed to cover that so dust can't get in. I'll probably make a front plate out of wood at some point in the next few weeks.
Old 22nd December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's currently just a hole, but the stand that it's on was designed to cover that so dust can't get in. I'll probably make a front plate out of wood at some point in the next few weeks.
Nice! I've been planning to do the same to mine very soon, almost finished converting a Minibrute I picked up too. What did you use to cut the plastic base and how neat did it end up?
Old 23rd December 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Nice! I've been planning to do the same to mine very soon, almost finished converting a Minibrute I picked up too. What did you use to cut the plastic base and how neat did it end up?
I cut both the metal top and the plastic base with my table saw so as to get the straightest cut possible. It turned out, well, perfect. I took the metal plate off and cut it separately, but for the bottom I just took the keyboard off, covered the hole into the electronics with painters tape, taped some plastic wrap over the knob area of the unit, and cut it like that. Kept the plastic shavings out.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I cut both the metal top and the plastic base with my table saw so as to get the straightest cut possible. It turned out, well, perfect. I took the metal plate off and cut it separately, but for the bottom I just took the keyboard off, covered the hole into the electronics with painters tape, taped some plastic wrap over the knob area of the unit, and cut it like that. Kept the plastic shavings out.
Good stuff, I only really have a jigsaw and access to a circular so def gonna need to find someone with a table saw if I want to do even a halfway decent job of it. Finished the Minibrute today which I’m fairly happy with, didn’t require much in the way of equipment (or expertise )
Lives for gear

Quote:
I only really have a jigsaw
You're perfectly placed to reassemble it then.
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear

I demo'd the Monologue at Guitar Center in Torrance, CA. I had no idea it was tiny but powerful.

It sounds great on bass, leads, synth fx and the sequencer rox. It's sooo cute .

This is why I'm now interested in the Minilogue XD.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Intermittently triggering a Miku stomp from the Monologue

Old 17th March 2020
Lives for gear

hey guys, i made 50 bass patches for the monologue. free to download, no email gates or anything like that. these are actual usable patches to cover pretty much any kind of club sound but not only. a few approximations of some famous tones in there as well. but just no bs patches, that we have actually used live on numerous occasions (most of them were made with live use in mind because that's what we mostly used the monologue for)

https://urrrs.com/community
Old 9th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Here is the completely fixed link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...25473469542504

A full bank of 100 custom eclectic patches I have made....they are random and fit a wide variety of needs. Some you may find horrible, some you may like.

These are completely free. All I ask is... if you do download and use them, please give the video a like. It helps out the channel.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post

A full bank of 100 custom eclectic patches I have made.....
For some reason when i upload that file I only get 53. Still, good stuff. I like your patch names.
Lives for gear

Quote:
For some reason when i upload that file I only get 53. Still, good stuff. I like your patch names.
Thank you.

A random 53, or the first 53?

I will re transfer it to my PC and offer a new upload if it is having that issue. Can anyone else confirm?
Lives for gear

Quote:
I always have trouble with MIDI-OX, I dumped it again, this time with BOME SendSX. It should be the full patch bank now.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...61045483938755
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I always have trouble with MIDI-OX
Have you tried the monologue librarian? It's quite handy.
Old 10th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you tried the monologue librarian? It's quite handy.
No, but maybe I should.

Does the new link have all 100 patches?
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

yeah dude, just use the librarian. very easy and you can load an entire bank and upload on the monologue only the patches you want. really easy to use and very handy. also for backing things up. it will just load the full 100 patches (really korg, 100 patches only?) directly from the monologue
Old 10th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwalky View Post

...My biggest issue for my uses:
You can't transpose sequence from the keyboard when it's slaved to clock (you have to first set to key trg, play the note just right in time, then hold key trg to keep it running hands free. Only then can you transpose the SEQ across the keyboard) Even then, you still must play each key just right in time, because a key press overrides and always resets the SEQ. This was a poor choice imo.

The Bass Station 2, once you play a key and go into hold, all the other keys you press are slaved, and do not reset the sequence. Much more intuitive, and you will never be off time.

EDIT It's possible to have the key transposes slave and be in time. However, you need to send the sequencer Sync IN instead. MIDI will not work. I have a volca sending sync, and it slaves. You lose Midi Start/Stop with this option obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppy101 View Post
Great wee synth, especially love the audio in and the fact you can use it as a gate triggered by the onboard sequencer. Been using that feature loads.

My only gripe with it is that when you change pattern, it changes instantly, it doesn't wait until that pattern has finished before changing...

Have I missed a setting anywhere, is it possibly to change this somehow?

I've got the same issue. I am a total noob novice but was reaslly hoping to be able to transpose sequences without going nastily off beat.

I'm running sync out from a Volca Sample into sync in, but it doesn't seem to fix the issue for me?

Is it possibly due to a setting I have set incorrectly? Possibly something to do with the internal clock, or maybe the Volca sends sync, but it's not on the 16th note?

I also found this info from Nick Kwas on Reddit, which sounds like it should the solution?

Quote:
Hi there. Monologue's sequencer is functioning perfectly as intended. You are simply expecting it to function in a way other than how it was designed to function.

To get the functionality you want, set your sync in setting on your Monologue to 16th note in global. Your sync source should also be set to 16th note. You'll notice now that if you plug a sync cable into Monologue's sync in, but don't plug it into anything, and press play on Monologue's sequencer, it will not play, because it is not receiving clock. Same for key trig/hold mode.

If you then send Monologue that 16th note clock, and use key trigger, or key trigger hold mode on the sequencer, it will play in time like you described.

It also helps to play the keys as close to on time as you can, as well
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...kind_of_awful/

Any help would be massively appreciated!
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
No, but maybe I should.

Does the new link have all 100 patches?
It has patches 1-53 and then every other slot is empty apart from patch 100.

Edit - I just noticed you have a few patches from Sebastien N's bank in this file
It's patches 38 to 42, They don't match up with what's in your video.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobswans View Post
It has patches 1-53 and then every other slot is empty apart from patch 100.

Edit - I just noticed you have a few patches from Sebastien N's bank in this file
It's patches 38 to 42, They don't match up with what's in your video.
You guys must be pulling my leg....because I have never downloaded any patches to my Monologue. I have only used the ones that came with it.
Quote:
You guys must be pulling my leg....because I have never downloaded any patches to my Monologue. I have only used the ones that came with it.
Maybe I have an issue on my side, It did seem a bit strange when I noticed it. I know how to use the librarian and I'm just loading the sysex files with C6 so I'm a bit unsure.
I will report back
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdog237 View Post
I'm running sync out from a Volca Sample into sync in, but it doesn't seem to fix the issue for me?

Is it possibly due to a setting I have set incorrectly? Possibly something to do with the internal clock, or maybe the Volca sends sync, but it's not on the 16th note?

Make sure the cable connecting your Volca Sample and Monologue are in the correct input and output jacks.

The setting for 16th notes on the Monologue is in Global settings. Press the 5th button on the sequencer. There are settings for sync in and sync out. You can just change both of them to 16th note.

The setting for 16th notes on the Volca Sample can be changed by holding function during power on. Press step button 8 so the LED lights up. Press the record button to save the settings.
Old 12th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:

Figured it out, Your file doesn't write any patches to slots 38-42, That's why I was seeing other patches in those locations after sending your sysex file.

So when I send your sysex file to my Monologue it only writes patches to slots
1 to 38 + 42 to 53 and 100
So in total the file has 50 patches.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Make sure the cable connecting your Volca Sample and Monologue are in the correct input and output jacks.

The setting for 16th notes on the Monologue is in Global settings. Press the 5th button on the sequencer. There are settings for sync in and sync out. You can just change both of them to 16th note.

The setting for 16th notes on the Volca Sample can be changed by holding function during power on. Press step button 8 so the LED lights up. Press the record button to save the settings.
Thanks!

I've just tried all of this, but still not working unfortunately. I tried setting the Volca Sample's "Sync input/output unit" to "once a step" and "once every 2 steps", and also "clock source" on the Monlogue in all 3 options (Auto (USB), Auto (MIDI) and Internal) just to check all options.

Is it possible it could be the cable I've used to run sync out on the Volca to sync in on the Monologue? ie if the cable should be mono or stereo?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdog237 View Post
I am a total noob novice but was reaslly hoping to be able to transpose sequences without going nastily off beat.
There is a sort of workaround: if you assign the slider to pitchbend, slightly unusually on the Monologue you can assign separate values to the positive and negative settings, so with e.g. +7 and -3 you can fudge a limited amount of transposition.

I've had a Volca Sample and a Monologue synced up by the CV, so it is doable. The inherent disadvantages of doing so just reminded me why people were so all over the Midi standard when it first came out.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
There is a sort of workaround: if you assign the slider to pitchbend, slightly unusually on the Monologue you can assign separate values to the positive and negative settings, so with e.g. +7 and -3 you can fudge a limited amount of transposition.

I've had a Volca Sample and a Monologue synced up by the CV, so it is doable. The inherent disadvantages of doing so just reminded me why people were so all over the Midi standard when it first came out.
That's a good idea! I'll try that.

Did you manage to sync them up so the transposed sequences start perfectly on beat, even if you didn't press the key prefectly on beat? I've already got them set up so the BPM is in sync perfectly.

What are the disadvantages you mentioned?
📝 Reply