The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Monologue
Old 9th November 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
If you're going to get a drum machine it costs a bit more, but something like the Volca Sample (or drum or beats etc) would give you a lot more creative possibilities than the PO-12 which the specs say has 'jam sync', with a Volca you'd be syncing it via midi or cv sync, which are both, uh, industry standard. It's also worth doing because the 'swing' setting of the Monologue does cool things to drum machines, it has a very wide range.

Also, if you get a drum machine, then for about $100 dollars getting a usb mixer like this Behringer one could make more sense than a more computer-box interface: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8a79b1d319f669
Hmm I will keep the Volca in mind then when the time does come for that! I'm planning on sticking with just the Monologue for a while as I learn, so I can't imagine I'll be picking up any sort of drum machine any time soon. I have a keyboard controller to mess around with VSTs keeping me busy as well.

So the Behringer functions as an audio interface as well? Nice, I will keep this one in mind. Doesn't seem too much more than what I was looking at and it adds a lot more functionality/future-proofing.

The suggestions have been much appreciated, amigos! So much information to parse through with this stuff, it's easy to get lost and confused lol.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Mask View Post
So the Behringer functions as an audio interface as well?
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but I think while mixers like that one do send audio over USB, I believe that they only send the final summed mix of all the inputs as a single channel, rather individual channels like on a dedicated interface.

E.g. if you were jamming with your Monologue and drum machine while recording to a DAW, you would just end up with one recording of both machines, you wouldn’t be able to apply software FX to just the synth audio after the fact.

Of course if you’re recording a sequenced arrangement you could just record each instrument one at a time, but it’s not ideal, plus you can do that with any cheap single input interface.
Lives for gear

also +1 for the volca sample, it can do so much more than just drums.
Old 9th November 2019
Lives for gear

Stuff I learned:

* Don’t always turn the osc level all the way up. For smoother sounds, dial the osc levels around 12 o’clock and compensate by raising the Program Level (the volume of the whole patch) in the menu.

* You don’t need to raise the Drive level on every patch.

* Experiment with different combinations of osc shapes and cutoff/res values to get a wider variety of tones.

* The fast LFO adds a lot of much-loved wild weirdness. For extra, extra wildness, use the ancient trick of plugging the headphone out into the audio in. Make sure Audio In is active in the menu.

* Assign a different parameter to the slider and experiment with different slider modulation amounts. While you or the sequencer is playing, flicking the slider adds extra juice, depending on the values you choose.

* Abuse the motion recorders (especially in step record mode). That is the most fun part of owning a Monologue. Record all 4 tracks then arbitrarily turn off 1 or more to give your track a different feel.

The Monologue feels super limited and sounds kinda samey if you treat it like just another synth. It’s not just another synth.
Old 11th November 2019
Gear Nut
It's easy enough to make drum sounds with the Monologue which you could then just multitrack to create a 'full' drum machine - or use the motion sequencer and create a whole drum sequence within one pattern. Lot's of possibilities with this wee beasty!!
Enjoy.
Old 11th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppy101 View Post
It's easy enough to make drum sounds with the Monologue which you could then just multitrack to create a 'full' drum machine - or use the motion sequencer and create a whole drum sequence within one pattern. Lot's of possibilities with this wee beasty!!
Enjoy.
Aye some of those Aphex Twin presets near the back of the list are sick - press play and twist all the knobs!
Old 12th November 2019
Here for the gear

My Monologue came yesterday! Super pleased with it so far. Definitely have a lot to learn, but I can already see the benefits of having a piece of hardware to learn on as opposed to a VST. It's a lot more enjoyable and intuitive for me as well.

Gotta wait for my interface to get here to actually start recording, but I'm looking forward to trying to make songs with just the Monologue. Ended up getting (what I think) was a decent deal on a UMC404HD. Was initially going to get a Scarlett 2i2 but the UMC404HD was only $10 more, so it seemed like a no brainer.

I'm actually rather inspired by stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W8MKmMTtrQ

I know you can do looping pretty easily with a DAW, but I like the idea of being able to do it without the need of a computer.

Either way, I'm definitely itching to pair the Monologue with something cool, just not sure what exactly.
Old 13th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
My Monologue came yesterday! ...

I know you can do looping pretty easily with a DAW, but I like the idea of being able to do it without the need of a computer.

Either way, I'm definitely itching to pair the Monologue with something cool, just not sure what exactly.
Congrats. The Monologue works well as a drum/percussion machine. My, uh, top tip is to motion sequence the vco2 lever, flipping it to noise when you want a hi-hat.

Using the assignable slider to record different sequences is handy for e.g. the lfo and envelope intensity rates, where with the knobs you can't so quickly switch between positive and negative values.

The thing I really wish you didn't have to go menu-diving for is the filter/keyboard tracking, 'cos that can really transform a sound.

I've got one of the pedals in that guy's video, the Eventide Space with its amazebobs 'BLACKHOLE' algorithm. One way it pairs really well with the Monologue is that with a midi cable you can have the 1-100 Space presets paired to the 1-100 Monologue ones for ease of recall etc.

The Monologue having a mono output means if you know a friendly guitarist there's a whole world of pedals to try out. A nice tube-y overdrive could be a place to start.
Old 13th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
My Monologue came yesterday! Super pleased with it so far. Definitely have a lot to learn, but I can already see the benefits of having a piece of hardware to learn on as opposed to a VST. It's a lot more enjoyable and intuitive for me as well.

Gotta wait for my interface to get here to actually start recording, but I'm looking forward to trying to make songs with just the Monologue. Ended up getting (what I think) was a decent deal on a UMC404HD. Was initially going to get a Scarlett 2i2 but the UMC404HD was only $10 more, so it seemed like a no brainer.

The only thing i didn't like about my Monologue was the lack of markers on the knobs, so i was difficult to see where everything was set. I ended up getting a thin white marker and colouring them in myself - not sure if they still ship like this now though, they changed the Minilogue ones in the end.

Apart from that, can't fault it...
Old 16th November 2019
Here for the gear

What do you guys think would make an overall better pairing for the Monologue:

Monologue + DrumBrute Impact ?

or

Monologue + Reface CS ?

Right now I need to choose one or the other, and I figure fellow Monologue owners could be a good gauge. I'm learning towards the Reface CS right now because setting up cool sequences with the Monologue and then playing to them with the Reface sounds like a lot of fun, but a drum machine sounds equally as fun. I've talked to a few people who seem to think a drum machine isn't worth it, but I can't help but want one.
Old 16th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
What do you guys think would make an overall better pairing for the Monologue:

Monologue + DrumBrute Impact ?

or

Monologue + Reface CS ?

Right now I need to choose one or the other, and I figure fellow Monologue owners could be a good gauge. I'm learning towards the Reface CS right now because setting up cool sequences with the Monologue and then playing to them with the Reface sounds like a lot of fun, but a drum machine sounds equally as fun. I've talked to a few people who seem to think a drum machine isn't worth it, but I can't help but want one.
Drum machines are fun and all, but they get all samey-samey sounding after awhile. I'd recommend the TR-8s as the only drum machine I'd get since you can switch up the samples whenever you want. It's probably 2-3 times what you want to spend, however. The CS looks like immediate fun for tweakers, despite lack of patch saving. If you're budget limited, I'd go here.

Anyway, you need to decide what intangible thing you're looking for here and judge these two against that since they are chalk and cheese.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
the only drum machine I'd get since you can switch up the samples whenever you want
Or a Volca Sample as a budget option.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Drum machines are fun and all, but they get all samey-samey sounding after awhile. I'd recommend the TR-8s as the only drum machine I'd get since you can switch up the samples whenever you want. It's probably 2-3 times what you want to spend, however. The CS looks like immediate fun for tweakers, despite lack of patch saving. If you're budget limited, I'd go here.

Anyway, you need to decide what intangible thing you're looking for here and judge these two against that since they are chalk and cheese.
Yes, I can see how something like the drumbrute could become a little tedious sounding, but I do enjoy how it sounds from all the videos I've watched, and it could also be enhanced with effects later on. Its workflow/sequencing is mostly the standout for me, and it seems to be what its praised for the most. It just seems like a fun piece of hardware to use with an intuitive interface.

But yeah, it is a rather broad comparison I'm wondering about. Cheese and chalk is a good (and disgusting sounding) way to put it. I'm just looking for something to compliment the Monologue in a way that that is conducive to making stuff without a DAW. I like the autonomy of that. Eventually, I will incorporate more and more stuff, but for now I guess I'm just looking for the most 'bang for your buck' piece of hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
Or a Volca Sample as a budget option.
I have been considering the Volca line quite a bit since they seem to be recommended a lot. It does seem like the Sample would be the one to get, but the way you actually get new sounds into it seems to be a pain. It also seems to have the same limitations as the other ones as far as being a drum machine goes with only 16 steps.

I don't know, I'll have to look into the Sample a bit more I guess. Some people make both the Sample and Drum look really cool, so maybe I'm overestimating the limitations slightly, but they still exist nonetheless.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I can see how something like the drumbrute could become a little tedious sounding, but I do enjoy how it sounds from all the videos I've watched, and it could also be enhanced with effects later on. Its workflow/sequencing is mostly the standout for me, and it seems to be what its praised for the most. It just seems like a fun piece of hardware to use with an intuitive interface.

But yeah, it is a rather broad comparison I'm wondering about. Cheese and chalk is a good (and disgusting sounding) way to put it. I'm just looking for something to compliment the Monologue in a way that that is conducive to making stuff without a DAW. I like the autonomy of that. Eventually, I will incorporate more and more stuff, but for now I guess I'm just looking for the most 'bang for your buck' piece of hardware.

I have been considering the Volca line quite a bit since they seem to be recommended a lot. It does seem like the Sample would be the one to get, but the way you actually get new sounds into it seems to be a pain. It also seems to have the same limitations as the other ones as far as being a drum machine goes with only 16 steps.

I don't know, I'll have to look into the Sample a bit more I guess. Some people make both the Sample and Drum look really cool, so maybe I'm overestimating the limitations slightly, but they still exist nonetheless.
Perhaps you should take a look at the Elektron Model:Samples. It is like a Volca Sample on steroids.
Old 17th November 2019 | Show parent
Quote:

The DrumBrute plus Monologue is a great combo, I have both. You can definitely do some fun stuff with the pair, but without some way to multi-track the Monologue, your compositions will be pretty basic.

My advice would be this: If you like the sound of the DB, get it. Then also grab a cheap poly and daisy chain the midi together on all three. Then you'll be getting somewhere.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticbuster View Post
The DrumBrute plus Monologue is a great combo, I have both. You can definitely do some fun stuff with the pair, but without some way to multi-track the Monologue, your compositions will be pretty basic.

My advice would be this: If you like the sound of the DB, get it. Then also grab a cheap poly and daisy chain the midi together on all three. Then you'll be getting somewhere.
Yeah, I was anticipating needing to rely on a DAW to spice thing sup eventually. The plan is to definitely get a nice trio going though, for sure.

A.I. Batule Chee mentioned the Module:Samples and that is look rather appealing too. Getting advice about whether or not to purchase a drum machine has been interesting, because there are people who will try to talk you out of it, but I can see why. Something like Module:Samples has crazy capabilities compared to the DrumBrute. I've been watching videos and it looks really really cool.

I wish I had more money so this wasn't a problem
Lives for gear

Quote:
Something like Module:Samples has crazy capabilities compared to the DrumBrute. I've been watching videos and it looks really really cool.

I wish I had more money so this wasn't a problem
If the Model:Samples tickles your fancy, you might consider an Electribe 2 Sampler, as well. They are reasonably cheap secondhand, and are very flexible as you can use them for complete production. The big caveat is operating it is rather goofy, so you might read the manual to see if it appeals. It has a number of plusses and minuses compared to the M:S.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I was anticipating needing to rely on a DAW to spice thing sup eventually. The plan is to definitely get a nice trio going though, for sure.
If you're trying to resist the lure of the DAW for now, either a Beatstep Pro or Zaquencer will go a long way - both around the £150ish mark - removes the limitations of any built in sequencers on the 'logues/volcas etc. Both have their strengths and weaknesses - if you're after ease of use and not expecting to need a poly in the near future then I'd say the BSP. The Zaquencer can do polyphony (albeit in a limited fashion), can sequence CC messages and has an extra track, but is a bit less straightforward, plus I don't think it could sequence a Volca Sample without an RK-002 to sort the midi out.

Or if you want something super cheap and flexible, but far less easy to use, maybe something retro like a Kawai Q80, think I got mine for about £30.
Lives for gear

Quote:
If the Model:Samples tickles your fancy, you might consider an Electribe 2 Sampler, as well. They are reasonably cheap secondhand, and are very flexible as you can use them for complete production. The big caveat is operating it is rather goofy, so you might read the manual to see if it appeals. It has a number of plusses and minuses compared to the M:S.
Or buy a slightly cheaper regular E2 and hack the firmware (if that's an allowable topic of discussion on GS...)

The E2 is also a reasonably capable sequencer in its own right - janky to use but can sequence up to 16 4 note poly tracks at at a time, all ta 64 steps and with pattern chaining.
Lives for gear

In fact OP I think an Electribe might well be your way to go if you're on a budget - it's a drum machine, sequencer for your Monologue, and a polysynth all rolled into one, for around the price of a BSP.
Lives for gear

I use the Monologue with Reface DX and Roland SH01a, they compliment eachother very well in tone and I also like what I hear from a Reface CS. And also the Roland Ju-06a.
I use a small mixer and a fx rack. Korg Kross2 is my sequencer (also use it's drumsamples / step sequencer).

I like using a 'workstation' like the Kross2 for the keys and rhythm basics.
Don't know what a Yamaha mx49 can do as a sequencer, it's not that expensive.
Making a combi of the sound of Kross2 strings with Reface DX keys is really nice. Then a Monologue bass or lead.
Midi out of Kross2 goes to Midi thru box with 4 outs into the small synths.

Don't buy plugins, save up for hardware.

In time I might add a seperate sampler/drumsequencer to get more complicated parts more easily.

In the end the recording DAW is the goal of all nice bits. The Kross2 sequencer synced to it.
Hardware is more inspirational for me to make music.
Old 18th November 2019
Gear Nut
How about a Roland JD-Xi? You can pick them up for about £250 second hand.
4 track sequencer, digital and analogue sound engines, plus a whole host of drum sounds that you can use as a drum machine.
I've never used one, but they seem to have a decent write-up.
Old 19th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

At that price (US $323) a JD-Xi would be sweet, but prices tend to be somewhat higher in the US.

I see the JD-Xi overall as more as a MicroKorgXL-killer, but since that model has never been a big seller it missed the boat on sales that otherwise went to the MicroKorg and Mininova (which might be its closest equivalent [but less expensive] competitor).
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Addict

It's funny people make that "MicroKorg-killer" comparison for JD-xi, because to me it seems more like a groovebox with keys. Aside from the demo model I tried having a sprung key, I was really impressed with the sound and usability of the Roland. It does almost everything else you'd want: Monologue + JD-Xi into a Roland SP-x0x covers a ton of ground for a portable studio, and even gets close to 100% battery-powered if that's important (though JD-Xi doesn't run on batteries).

Another Monologue tip: enable LFO tempo sync in the Patch Edit menu and go in the Seq Edit menu to turn down the resolution of the sequence. Using a "Slow" LFO and some creative Motion Sequencing you can make patterns that fill out more than the usual 4 beats you might expect from a 16-step sequencer.
Old 19th November 2019
Lives for gear

I like the idea of pairing the Monologue off with the JD-Xi. You get a drum machine, two analog monos (one for bass, one for lead), plus two more tracks of VA. And a VA I prefer by far over the Mininova. You can sequence the JD and play along on the Mini.

I think the Korg XL+ sounds the best of all these, but it's no fun to program and is essentially very limited compared to the other choices.

Anyways, my tuppence.
Old 19th November 2019
I made 70 patches for mine, they are free for a bit
https://sellfy.com/p/lchek1/
Old 20th November 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the suggestions on what to pair with the Monologue!

In perhaps a surprising turn of events, I grabbed an Aira TR-8 off Reverb (came with the 7x7 expansion too).
I just like the workflow of drum machines so much, and I don't think anything else was going to scratch it.
Would've gone for the TR-8S if I had that kind of money to blow right now, but maybe down the line.

Next on the list is definitely a polyphonic synth though.
Old 20th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions on what to pair with the Monologue!

In perhaps a surprising turn of events, I grabbed an Aira TR-8 off Reverb (came with the 7x7 expansion too).
I just like the workflow of drum machines so much, and I don't think anything else was going to scratch it.
Would've gone for the TR-8S if I had that kind of money to blow right now, but maybe down the line.

Next on the list is definitely a polyphonic synth though.
Nice one

Nowt wrong with polyphonic synths, but don't overlook the polyphonics you can get from another mono synth. As an example, between the Monologue's VCO2 pitch knob - and sequencer modulation - and the 2 note-tuneable oscillators (with subs and its own seq/arp) of the Mopho at any one step I can have up to 4 (+2) separate pitches going on.

Probably total non-news but I only just discovered that the Monologue keyboard transmits polyphonically over midi so you could space-save with a polyphonic synth module.
Old 20th November 2019
Quote:
I like the idea of pairing the Monologue off with the JD-Xi.
This is exactly what I do. I run the Monologue through the JD's audio input to give it some fx, and I use the JD's sequencer to sequence the Monologue. The benefit of doing that is you can then dedicate the Monologue's sequencer strictly to motion sequencing - if the sequence on the JD is, say, 16 steps, and the motion sequence on the Monologue is, say, 13 steps, then you have modulation that doesn't repeat on the same notes every time. Then of course you still have drums and a VA synth left over (audio input disables the JD analog mono, and one sequencer track is taken by the Monologue so you lose the other VA).
Old 20th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavadisco View Post
This is exactly what I do. I run the Monologue through the JD's audio input to give it some fx, and I use the JD's sequencer to sequence the Monologue. The benefit of doing that is you can then dedicate the Monologue's sequencer strictly to motion sequencing - if the sequence on the JD is, say, 16 steps, and the motion sequence on the Monologue is, say, 13 steps, then you have modulation that doesn't repeat on the same notes every time. Then of course you still have drums and a VA synth left over (audio input disables the JD analog mono, and one sequencer track is taken by the Monologue so you lose the other VA).
I know you didn’t ask but...
Don’t you think it’s too much compromise to do it that way? I mean you’re losing 2 of the four tracks that the JDXI has. Maybe it would be more efficient if you put something like an Electribe Sampler between them, or a digitakt that way you would get 2 analog voices, 2 VA, drum machine, sequencer/fx, and sampler. More than enough to do some damage!

Just friendly advice, not judging.
📝 Reply