The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Analog Drum Machine Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone got any ideas on when this may actually happen?

I still can't make up my mind on a tr8 or a brute, or possibly none and just keep it itb
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

Um ... If I was ready to pounce, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wait for this ... Seems like it's going to be a couple of minutes ...
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

Just make sure it's really fun and easy to do
simple things.

Basically, an electron drum machine with the Moog UI experience.
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish1999 View Post

I still can't make up my mind on a tr8 or a brute, or possibly none and just keep it itb
Well, Korg announced their Odyssey in Feb. 2014, and then in December, Behringer announced their intentions to make an Odyssey clone. Almost two years later in August 2016, they announced the Deep Mind 12.

Then Arturia announces the DrumBrute and a few weeks later, Behringer announces their intentions to make an analog drum machine. So maybe two years from now Behringer will announce a new product that turns out not to be a drum machine!
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish1999 View Post

For the DM12 6 months from the finished concept til it hits the shelf. So even if they are fast with the concept, i'd guess a year from now is a realistic guess.
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Head
Sampler

Dear Uli,

This is, what I want for Christmas:

- Portable formfactor of MPC 500

- with flat knobs and pots that dont break off

- Long lasting tactswitches

- built-in, userreplaceable batteries

- FX of an SP

- something similar to JJOS

- Pads that feel like MPC 2000xl and also light up in different colors

- No built-in Mic....nobody needs them

- Loop Crossfade

- Ability to easily select all events of one pad on a track and nude them or 50% quantize them, like Maschine

- SD Card storage of Samples

- Midi In and Out

- Nice Display like OP-1

- Good Filters

- Analog Drums maybe, but no Key Synth or additional features

- Quick editing of Pads like SP404sx (Copy sample to another pad or exchange sound between pads)

- Transient Designer

Make it the ultimate MPC 500. A userfriendly and powerful little sampler with not too many features.

Thank you
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear

so i guess it's going to be a sampler (maybe with integrated analog drum machine?):
http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...IND-12/p/P0AC5

"Synthesizers-and-Samplers"

seriously the world needs a new mpc4000 or mv8800 with a modern and hands on interface. a real flagship studio brain. and additionally a stripped down little brother like an sp404 for live use and fun.
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Maniac

i want 8 or 12bits vanilla PCM samples, pitchable without bad aliasing and combined with analog filter/overdrive.
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Guru

make it like the Jomox drum machines, right down to the looks, but make sure it has a rock solid operating system..

there is always plenty of room for more gear on the market, don't listen to people who say it's saturated, it hasn't even begun to peak yet, particularly in the modular world, so continue to make Behringer machines and make them like you would like to use them and make music with them, I find the best way to work out what the best gear to use is to use everything out there and take a little something you like from each item and blend to make that perfect machine...you could even go the extra step and make the drum machine semi modular so you could patch around the unit to change the way sounds are output, kind of 0 Coast meets Jomox meets 808...maybe even an on board small mixer with sliders..

OLED display like OP1
8 voice drum machine
Separate outs
64 step seq with swing
ability to drop samples into chans via usb or smart card
analog filters, analog envelopes..digital LFO, digital delay
semi modular
ergonomic facade nicely spaced good looking and feeling knobs with tilted up UI
good looking colour scheme

Old 15th December 2016
Gear Addict

real time timestretching like paulstretch please
Old 18th December 2016
Here for the gear

3 important things

Mobility:
please give it portable options, like a portable mode / low power mode, or just make it fully mobile with a laptop battery or something. I want to make some beats in the park or on a train, but with good sounds.

NO BABY COLORS:
Also please no baby rainbow colors like a lot of companies use on their pads, use badass color schemes that are easy on the eye and is inspiring. When I say baby i mean really BRIGHT pure colors like the TORAIZ SP-16. Please use washed out dull / mixed colors that look like the LEDs have been degrading for 100s of years. Use a good color scheme, i know this is for computer screens mainly but shows some thought behind colors and backgrounds which is universal, check out solarized color scheme. Solarized - Ethan Schoonover . Read into that a little, please no baby rainbows please, i get that it is technically cool that you can produce all the colors of the rainbow but please tone it down a little. Make a choice on 3-4 colors that work together without being mistaken for a toy. Also consider brightness and programming in low light or no light situations, maybe make brightness very adjustable.

And of course like everyone else has stated.
Make it a good Synth and sampler, with tons of FX and modulation / morphing options, REALLY playable easy interface with optional deep deep DAW like program-ability and manipulation.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Guru

No flashing LEDs or lights like any of this Roland Crap, it's completely useless to those of us sensitive to light against a dark background..it's just nonsense to put loads of flashing LEDs for the sake of looks, use an LED sure but none of this flashing stuff and dark backgrounds..
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

8 track sampler with analog filters, lots of knobs but most importantly dedicated Sample start, Sample End, Loop Start, and Loop End knobs.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsirvine View Post
3 important things

Mobility:
please give it portable options, like a portable mode / low power mode, or just make it fully mobile with a laptop battery or something. I want to make some beats in the park or on a train, but with good sounds.

NO BABY COLORS:
Also please no baby rainbow colors like a lot of companies use on their pads, use badass color schemes that are easy on the eye and is inspiring. When I say baby i mean really BRIGHT pure colors like the TORAIZ SP-16. Please use washed out dull / mixed colors that look like the LEDs have been degrading for 100s of years. Use a good color scheme, i know this is for computer screens mainly but shows some thought behind colors and backgrounds which is universal, check out solarized color scheme. Solarized - Ethan Schoonover . Read into that a little, please no baby rainbows please, i get that it is technically cool that you can produce all the colors of the rainbow but please tone it down a little. Make a choice on 3-4 colors that work together without being mistaken for a toy. Also consider brightness and programming in low light or no light situations, maybe make brightness very adjustable.

And of course like everyone else has stated.
Make it a good Synth and sampler, with tons of FX and modulation / morphing options, REALLY playable easy interface with optional deep deep DAW like program-ability and manipulation.
there's definitely a host of drum machines ive kept miles away from largely in part for the fact of how neon and flashy and light-up-the-whole-damn-room they are. i can understand color coding things to an extent, but really if its for the sake of live play, a simple sound board type light will do fine.
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Dear all,

first of all I like to wish you a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Sometime in July this year I announced we are looking into developing analog as well digital drum machines. I thought I would now share with you aspects of the development process.

At this stage our main focus is on sound creation and for this purpose we resurrected the highly regarded 808 and 909 analog drum machines from the '80's.

Attached are the pics of the first evaluation boards that allow us to study and compare the sound of analog drum instruments. However, our intention is not to clone these products but to evaluate analog sound generation and add a great user interface and sequencer.

I can tell you that the team is having lots of fun listening to these drum sounds that greatly contributed to amazing music in the past. It is actually not surprising that people gravitate to analog sounds as it is the imperfection that evokes emotions. Perhaps it is the fact that we humans are analog, too:-)

While we are far away from releasing a finished product, we thought we would get you involved in this enjoyable design process.

As always we love to hear your opinions.

Uli
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Analog Drum Machine-808.jpg   Behringer Analog Drum Machine-909.jpg  

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 28th December 2016 at 05:52 AM..
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Uli, 808 and 909 sounds are lovely, but options for those sounds abound.

I would love to see a Behringer clone of classic Simmons SDS-V analog drums.

The Movement Systems Drum Computer is also one that needs cloning.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
At this stage our main focus is on sound creation and for this purpose we resurrected the highly regarded 808 and 909 analog drum machines from the '80's.
Uli
Nice effort, but there are enough clones of those machines. Nava, Miami come to mind. So the question is, how much your machines will cost?

PS:

Can't wait for your Jupiter 8 clone
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Uli, 808 and 909 sounds are lovely, but options for those sounds abound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
Nice effort, but there are enough clones of those machines. Nava, Miami come to mind. So the question is, how much your machines will cost?
Not sure why you hammering down the 'enough clones' topic. Of course I don't know what Uli is doing and what the final product is going to be but he did specify in his post
"However, our intention is not to clone these products but to evaluate analog sound generation and add a great user interface and sequencer."

So it could be they are thinking of their own versatile analogue based drum machine like MFB and Arturia for example do. Yes they have inspiration from the classics but they are not clones.... who knows Uli may even come up with a drum machine that is analogue + user samples + great sequencer. But he did specify 'not clone'
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear all,

Sometime in July this year I announced we are looking into developing analog as well digital drum machines. I thought I would now share with you aspects of the development process.

Attached are the pics of the first evaluation boards that allow us to study and compare the sound of analog drum instruments. However, our intention is not to clone these products but to evaluate analog sound generation and add a great user interface and sequencer.

I can tell you that the team is having lots of fun listening to these drum sounds that greatly contributed to amazing music in the past. It is actually not surprising that people gravitate to analog sounds as it is the imperfection that evokes emotions. Perhaps it is the fact that we humans are analog, too:-)

While we are far away from releasing a finished product, we thought we would get you involved in this enjoyable design process.

Uli
Please look at the Korg Minipops 7, in particular the Guira and Quijada sounds that are anolog generated. I would love to see a proper remake of these.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post

PS:

Can't wait for your Jupiter 8 clone
Nava is DIY, Acidlab are priced to a premium. I would argue that premium is worth it (the Drumatix is a beast), but a more competitive ready-made option is still absolutely worthwhile. More choice is good. Even better though would be a drum machine that enters 606/808/909 territory but also goes beyond.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Not sure why you hammering down the 'enough clones' topic. Of course I don't know what Uli is doing and what the final product is going to be but he did specify in his post
"However, our intention is not to clone these products but to evaluate analog sound generation and add a great user interface and sequencer."

So it could be they are thinking of their own versatile analogue based drum machine like MFB and Arturia for example do. Yes they have inspiration from the classics but they are not clones.... who knows Uli may even come up with a drum machine that is analogue + user samples + great sequencer. But he did specify 'not clone'
Yes definitely, it seems their goal is not to clone old classic but to develop their own version of analogue drum machine. If they could mix the sound generation of the tanzbaer with the interface of the drumbrute or tempest and adding sample management this would be an achievement.

It seems the new Jomox would match these qualities and would be ready quite soon.
To be followed
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear
All good and exciting news... need a lot of money in 2017!!!
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

If they go from the 909/808 to where they went with the Dm12 from a Juno this thing is going to be nothing short of amazing.

Most important features to add imo:

- memory for kits and patterns
- FX (just take x32 ones and apply them accordingly)
- 3-4 sample based instruments, with .wav import
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Uli
I'd love a revved up 808 or a 909!

Some ideas:
Extra knobs (or multifunction knobs) for tweaking drum sounds.
Per drum instrument or per drum group effects.
Tuning key to raise or lower the pitch of the whole kit.
Assignable choke groups.
Add two or more fully customizable drums comprised of simple oscillators, filters, envelopes and sweepable noise for making percussive sounds like Kraftwerk.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

and hopefully the large number of knobs and buttons à la Drumbrute will also SEND midi, not only receive.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear all,

Uli
Uli,

First of all, thank you for this interaction with the public. It's rare that a company actually thinks to include it's customers in the process and values their input. This alone makes me want to give your brand a shot, even though I have never used Behringer in any way.

That said, I'd like to assert that you should give a very strong effort towards introducing NEW drum sounds and not merely reproduce 808/909 sounds. While it would certainly be nice if your machine can do those sounds, I'd say it's more important to deliver your own flavor and sound palette. Look at the MFB Tanzbar as an example. It can give 808/909 sounds, but also delivers it's own unique personality. Look at the new Arturia DrumBrute. Each has a place in the market while giving unique sound additions to the drum machine arena.

Consider giving us 3 machines. An analog, a digital, a combination of both. Consider incorporating unique synthesis techniques, especially for the digital or hybrid models. Sonic Potion LXR could be inspirational here. And look at the features sets for DrumBrute and Elektrons, but make sure your machine CAN SEQUENCE AND CONTROL EXTERNAL GEAR and act as the "brain" for a hardware base setup. UI needs to be immediate and intuitive. Look to Novation Circuit and DrumBrute as examples.

Focus more on giving us a complete product, over the price it will sell for. We will pay for it if it is worth it. Don't neuter the product in hopes of selling us more crap later (looking at you Elektron).

Well that is my hope.

I look forward to seeing what you make. With luck it will be as described above.

Thanks for reading,

Marcgood

PS - Give us the ability to shape each voice, add wetness, add saturation, add fuzz, make it fatter. Personally adding in granular synthesis would be a dream come true for me.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear
I have a lot of new found faith in Behringer. I think they could make a very usable analog drum machine for the masses. And we know the price will be less than everyone else for we will get.
Old 28th December 2016
Looks like you have taken the advice from some of us here. Really, your best bet for a hot seller is a machine with 808/909 that actually nails those sounds. People want those sounds in an analog drum machine. Anything else is just less. There is a reason why the 808/909 have been the most sought after drum machines for the past 20 years. If you put both genuine 808/909 analog sounds into a single machine with a nice interface, sequencer and some extra bells and whistles like FX, at a great price, you will have a winner.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

More 808/909 based machines but with a new twist?

Meh.

Sorry. I guess it's to be expected though.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

In 2017 being Analog should merely NOT be enough.
Any modern drum machine should incorporate
1. analog
2. FM and advanced FM (2 to 4OP) (using samples too)
3. sampling
4. physicial modelling
5. synthesis

Something akin to the marriage of an Elektron Rytm, the FM styled voices of the Korg ER-1 (but with more flexibiltiy), Sampling with granular and slicing modes, straight up classic XOX analog styled sounds and the kind of features found in a Kawai XD-5 for layering, synthesis and sound shaping.
It should have good effects, a mod matrix and a poly-rhythmic sequencer.
Right now I use my V-Synth, Analog Four, TR-8, Monomachine and a few Reaktor ensembles to pull off what a modern drum machine should.
Welling up over analog remakes and having OMG moments over analog drum machines kind of misses the point.
I want the felixibilty of my combined set up in one well thought out, ergonomic unit that has enough balls to be forward thinking whilst being inviting, easy to use and with a great GUI.
Is that too much to ask ?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search