The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurzweil 2500 vs Kurzweil 2000 Keyboard Workstations
Old 9th October 2016
Here for the gear

Kurzweil 2500 vs Kurzweil 2000

This question has already been asked on the forum, but the thread didn't answer my question.

I'm well aware of the hardware differences between the 2000 and the 2500. It has more polyphony, more RAM, ect.

I'm okay with a more limited 2000 in the case that the quality and character of the 2000 significantly better than the 2500.

But what about the sound? Someone told me the 2000 sound has more character. My question is, how much of a difference in sound is there between the 2000 and the 2500?

Even if it's pretty minute, I want some detailed opinions, because I have an opportunity to buy either for around the same price.

A little information on what I would use the Kurzweil for, I'm a very experienced user of synthesizers and plan on using V.A.S.T to it's full potential to make a wide variety of electronic music.
Old 9th October 2016
Lives for gear

I remember for unprocessed samples the K2000 has a kind of "signature" in it. That means, in the end of the day, all sampled sounds, even without using envelopes, filters etc., sound a bit flat to my ears, missing a bit presence, missing a bit punch, missing some of the low end. In the end of the day all of this above is not very dramatic. I never had an issue to get good sounds from a K2000.

I insist that the K2500 sounds a bit more neutral. That means in this case: better.

Oh, and please dont use too much MIDI events in the same time when you use a K2000...
Old 9th October 2016
Gear Addict

Onboard effects processor is one of the biggest differences. 2500 has killer KDFX while 2000 has a garbage Digitech chip that's most useful as a white noise generator.
Old 9th October 2016
Lives for gear

Meh.. never noticed enough of a difference to make a difference. I still have my original k2000rs that I've had since about '91 or 92.. if I were buying one today - I'd get a 2500 or 2600 (with KDFX!).
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantB View Post
Onboard effects processor is one of the biggest differences. 2500 has killer KDFX while 2000 has a garbage Digitech chip that's most useful as a white noise generator.
Both 2000 and 2500 have the digitech effects. The 2500 could have kdfx added but most you find won't have the kdfx. The 2600 was kdfx only.
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

Leaving aside the FX, the basic sound of VAST doesn't change much throughout the K2x00 range.

What does change is the relative fidelity of Kurzweil analogue outputs, which could perhaps be summarised with a sort of chart along these lines going from left to right (don't have time to make it look pretty):

Noisiest >>> Cleanest

Keyboard >>> Rack

Unbalanced >>> Balanced

K2000k >>> K2600r

Last edited by James Lehmann; 12th October 2016 at 05:51 PM..
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear
I've been pondering this question to this day.

My current opinion is that the Digitech fx unit is responsible for a lot of noise and character of the earlier units. Despite having the KDFX I sometimes prefer the Digitech reverbs to the more clean ones in KDFX.

If you are going to utilize all the possibilities you will appreciate faster loading/saving time and maybe slightly faster (albeit still sluggish) processor of K2500RS. Oh btw. make sure the Kurzweil you buy has the sampling capability!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search