The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia DrumBrute analog drum machine
Old 23rd December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
Need advice on MIDI setup connections clock in out Hydrasynth MicroFreak Uno Synth.

I need advice on best way to interconnect these devices to DrumBrute. Should I use drumbrute as master clock then :

drumbrute midi out > hydrasynth
hydrasynth midi out to microfreak
microfreak clock/midi out to uno synth

Is there an advantage to using clock out/in vs midi in/out/pass thru ?

Thanks in advance.
Clock is analogue, voltage travels faster.

Midi is serial data by nature and that means things happen one after another , midi transfer rate is fine but not light speed, using thru is fine if you limit your connections and don't ask or expect too much but you will start to create lag in chains if passing lots of data . This is why midi thru and I/o boxes exist, they allow just one stream to be focused on per connction which maximises the rate of transfer

I would take clock anyway and suggest if all your gear has it then use it, if the DB is master clock just connect from there , in out in out etc

Each machine may have different requirements (clock comes with options) but it will state what setting to use in the manual, most likely they will all use 2ppq

Get stereo 3.5mm cables is my advice , you may find if you use mono that the sequencers run in time but don't actually start automatically , they may be fine so just try but if things aren't starting and stopping after you have made connections that's probably the reason

Consult your manuals

If using midi then go midi out to midi in and use thru to get to the next piece of gear

Thru passes a message forward that is received at it's input , in your case using midi clock as the message
Old 24th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Clock is analogue, voltage travels faster.

Midi is serial data by nature and that means things happen one after another , midi transfer rate is fine but not light speed, using thru is fine if you limit your connections and don't ask or expect too much but you will start to create lag in chains if passing lots of data . This is why midi thru and I/o boxes exist, they allow just one stream to be focused on per connction which maximises the rate of transfer

I would take clock anyway and suggest if all your gear has it then use it, if the DB is master clock just connect from there , in out in out etc

Each machine may have different requirements (clock comes with options) but it will state what setting to use in the manual, most likely they will all use 2ppq

Get stereo 3.5mm cables is my advice , you may find if you use mono that the sequencers run in time but don't actually start automatically , they may be fine so just try but if things aren't starting and stopping after you have made connections that's probably the reason

Consult your manuals

If using midi then go midi out to midi in and use thru to get to the next piece of gear

Thru passes a message forward that is received at it's input , in your case using midi clock as the message
Thank you very much for taking the time to enlighten me on this. I really appreciate it. Best wishes.
Old 24th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thank you very much for taking the time to enlighten me on this. I really appreciate it. Best wishes.
Absolutely no problem my friend

Let us know you have success with the setup
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Just ordered a DrumBrute today, really appreciate the wisdom sewn within thread.

I’ll be trying MicroFreak and Hydrasynth nexus to it as well.
Old 25th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Just ordered a DrumBrute today, really appreciate the wisdom sewn within thread.

I’ll be trying MicroFreak and Hydrasynth nexus to it as well.
How do you have them chained together ? Some kind of midi hub ?
Old 26th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you have them chained together ? Some kind of midi hub ?
I haven’t got around to that as yet, I’m still configuring my effects pedal chain as well as some midi midiotic rerouting.

I was planning on using cv/clock/ since hydrasynth has cv clock out/in, as does DrumBrute, as does MicroFreak.

(I do have an old Kawai midi patch bay, analog style)
Old 26th January 2020
Gear Head

In my studio I use a Linux computer running an open source program called Catia to handle my MIDI routing. It is by far the easiest and simplest MIDI routing software I've ever seen. In my case I use it to cross connect and disconnect over a dozen MIDI devices, both USB and DIN style connectors with a few mouseclicks.

It relies on a program called the JACK Audio Connection Kit which currently only runs in 32 bit mode on Windows but stay tuned for a 64 bit update soon.

https://jackaudio.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEduGnD6ZKQ

Gary
Old 19th February 2020
Gear Head
Just got one of these today. I was torn for ages between the OG Drumbrute, the Drumbrute Impact, RD-8, or even just a Beatstep Pro since I already have great drum samples. I eventually settled on the OG Drumbrute.

Been having a lot of fun with it already. Think many of the demos on YouTube don't do it proper justice. Sounds great once you've found the right sound for your taste, particularly with a little compression and distortion.

Sequencer is awesome and while I was primarily buying this so I'd have an actual drum machine, it's also ready to use with Ableton's drumrack without any real setup other than chucking in your samples.

Mute, solo, roller, swing, random etc all work with Drumrack too. So I've already set up several Drumbrute Drumrack templates for 7X7, 808, 909, etc samples. Will make programming my drums way more fun, and it's super easy to mix and match the Drumbrute's own sounds with my existing sample library, or even layer the two together. Looking forward to playing around with that later, although for now I've just been having fun with the Drumbrute's own sounds.

Only thing I've had any trouble with is the pads. Seem a bit stiff and sometimes don't trigger unless I hit them quite hard. It might just be me though. Not used to finger-drumming.

Anyway, it's got my thumbs up.
Old 19th February 2020
eb7
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeshiftApe View Post
Only thing I've had any trouble with is the pads. Seem a bit stiff and sometimes don't trigger unless I hit them quite hard. It might just be me though.
I found this to be the case also. I adapted to them to some degree but still feel they could be better.
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeshiftApe View Post
Just got one of these today. I was torn for ages between the OG Drumbrute, the Drumbrute Impact, RD-8, or even just a Beatstep Pro since I already have great drum samples. I eventually settled on the OG Drumbrute.

Been having a lot of fun with it already. Think many of the demos on YouTube don't do it proper justice. Sounds great once you've found the right sound for your taste, particularly with a little compression and distortion.

Sequencer is awesome and while I was primarily buying this so I'd have an actual drum machine, it's also ready to use with Ableton's drumrack without any real setup other than chucking in your samples.

Mute, solo, roller, swing, random etc all work with Drumrack too. So I've already set up several Drumbrute Drumrack templates for 7X7, 808, 909, etc samples. Will make programming my drums way more fun, and it's super easy to mix and match the Drumbrute's own sounds with my existing sample library, or even layer the two together. Looking forward to playing around with that later, although for now I've just been having fun with the Drumbrute's own sounds.

Only thing I've had any trouble with is the pads. Seem a bit stiff and sometimes don't trigger unless I hit them quite hard. It might just be me though. Not used to finger-drumming.

Anyway, it's got my thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb7 View Post
I found this to be the case also. I adapted to them to some degree but still feel they could be better.
Me too, at first I thought my unit had a somewhat defective pad section but I guess that's the way they are. The threshold setting didn't seem to do much but the machine itself is still awesome and a great value right now in my opinion. The sounds really came alive after I ran it through my Mackie utilizing its limited band EQ. That made a huge difference.

I didn't realize you could integrate it into ableton live to the degree discussed above. I'll have to look into this. Any good links on setting this up ?
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
I didn't realize you could integrate it into ableton live to the degree discussed above. I'll have to look into this. Any good links on setting this up ?
Not really too much setup involved. Just sample re-arranging and then quickly fixing the choke groups. If you have it plugged in via USB and have the driver, you can simply open up Ableton, chuck in one of Ableton's drumrack templates, make sure recording is armed, and the pads will play the Drumrack samples already. Can be sequenced too.

What you'll probably want to do right away is re-order the samples, because by default a lot of them aren't in the right place. For example in Kitcore-808, the Open Hihat pad triggers one of the Toms, and the Kick 2 pad triggers the Rimshot.

So just hit each pad on your Drumbrute, check the correct sound is triggered, and if it isn't, drag the correct sound to the right place in Drumrack. (Edit: Or save yourself some time and scroll down to the template I made, and that'll tell you where to place your samples )

The other thing to do (make sure you've arranged the samples right first) is fix the choke groups. Like I said the Open Hihat pad triggers the Tom, and it's the Low Conga pad that triggers the Open Hihat. So by default Ableton's 808 Drumrack template has it set up so your Low Conga pad and Closed Hihat are in the same choke group instead of the two hihats.

On the left hand side of Drumrack there's a button that looks like three lines going across and says Show/Hide Chain List if you mouse over it. Click that, then click the "I-O" button. You should see a list of sounds, and one of the columns should say "Choke". Scroll until you find both Hihats, and set Choke for both of them to 1. Then make sure no other sounds are in choke groups.

Then save your fixed Drumrack preset with the little save icon in the top right hand corner of the Drumrack.

Once you've fixed one, it's way easier to create more templates for the Drumbrute, because you can just open that one template you made, then drag new sounds onto each of the pads. Since you already matched the sounds before and set the choke groups, all you have to do for new templates is drag your new sound onto the old one it's replacing. Then save a new template again when you're done.

Edit: Here you go, I made a quick template for what pad in Drumrack the Drumbrute pads trigger assuming you haven't changed the notes they trigger in the MIDI control center:

Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac

Awesome, thanks very much for taking the time to do this. It will take some time for me to understand what you're doing here. Will velocity sensitivity work on the pads if configured this way ?
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Awesome, thanks very much for taking the time to do this. It will take some time for me to understand what you're doing here. Will velocity sensitivity work on the pads if configured this way ?
For playing or recording finger-drumming into Ableton, you will get variable velocity. For sequencing, it's the same as with the Drumbrute itself: accent or no-accent, so only two velocity levels than can be sequenced.

Of course since with Ableton's Drumrack you're recording in MIDI rather than audio, it's easy enough to go into the clip you recorded and manually tweak the velocities to give it a bit more variation.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head
Hope I'm not breaking any rules by double-posting?

Anyway just some random fooling around to share.

Tonight I was playing around, and I remembered how Kick 1 is supposed to be more 909 like, and Kick 2 more 808 like.

I've always loved the 909 kick, but wasn't quite hearing that in Kick 1, so I decided to actually try and match them as close as possible. To my surprise you can actually get really close. Close enough that Kick 1 is starting to grow on me now. But there still seems to be a bit of pitch weirdness going on, even with the sweep knob all the way down, so it's not 100%.

Anyway after getting them as close as possible, I figured it'd be fun to try some of the other sounds. Made a quick single bar loop with kick, snare, clap and hihats, and tried my best to get as close as possible with the Drumbrute.

Obviously didn't quite get there, especially since the 909 uses samples for the hihats etc, but I got way closer than I expected to. Attached the end result, as well as a pic of the settings I used.

Didn't try the toms, but I guess the ride cymbal could be done too. Maybe tomorrow I'll give 808 sounds a go.
Attached Files

DrumbruteTriesA909Impression.wav (750.0 KB, 1207 views)

Old 5th March 2020
Here for the gear
MakeshiftApe, I love how you kept the rest of your settings secret here.

I've been building out my little studio for a while now, and been mightily inspired to actually finish it by this little gem - got used for $250. While initially disappointed at lack of midi send/receive via the knobs, I quickly got over that.

With the limited, but powerful tools the DB's sequencer offers, it seems I've finally found the lynch pin for playful, flexible drum (and even occasional melodic loop) programming. Even if I hated the sounds on offer (which I don't), I'd love this thing for encouraging so much growth in finally understanding about how things can work together in my little rocket ship.

The stoke is high!
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Maniac
I've been reading about and listening to comparisons between the Drumbrute and Drumbrute Impact.

The impact sounds better to me. Just my subjective opinion.
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense_A View Post
I've been reading about and listening to comparisons between the Drumbrute and Drumbrute Impact.

The impact sounds better to me. Just my subjective opinion.
Thanks for letting us know. Maybe you should post this in the Drumbrute Impact forum. Just my subjective opinion.
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Thanks for letting us know. Maybe you should post this in the Drumbrute Impact forum. Just my subjective opinion.
Someone offered to sell me their drumbrute. So I spent a lot of time deciding whether to get it or not. The drumbrute seems to have more editing options but the impact has the better sound.

I'm interested in your opinion if you disagree.

You're the second forum member to get passive aggressive with me this week.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Someone offered to sell me their drumbrute. So I spent a lot of time deciding whether to get it or not. The drumbrute seems to have more editing options but the impact has the better sound.

DrumBrute has better function, Impact has better sound. However you can always utilized the individual outs on the DB and process each instrument as you want. YMMV.
Old 4th June 2020
Gear Nut
I use the toms and claves on the OG Drumbrute a lot, so no interest in the Impact (well, apart from the FM drum, that's kind of cool)
Old 4th June 2020
eb7
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Z View Post
I use the toms and claves on the OG Drumbrute a lot, so no interest in the Impact (well, apart from the FM drum, that's kind of cool)
Same here. I probably like most of the sounds on the Impact more, but I couldn't do without the extra kit pieces on the original.
Old 8th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

There's nothing aggressive here at all. Drumbrute was released in 2016. Do you think Arturia spent 4-5 years research and development with a goal of making their new drum machine sound inferior to their previous one ?

Are you related to Camarao ?
Old 2nd July 2020
Here for the gear
Sending signal from individual channels as well as through filter/master out

I've long been frustrated in my inability to use my Drumbrute's filter on selected outputs and/or maintain master/filtered output signal simultaneous to use of individual outputs. It's quite limiting that plugging the outputs kills that signal to master/filter signal path.

I started looking at the Vermona DRM MkIII to use in conjunction w DB and notice that they suggest use of a cabling solution that allows sending patched individual outputs to simultaneously send signal to master (by using a trs to ts cable, with the trs jack wired w both tip and ring connected to the positive, and sleeve wired to the negative). I'm hopeful this method might fool the DrumBrute into maintaining signal flow to both paths simultaneously. Has anybody tried this out? If this works for the DB, my prayers are answered!
Old 3rd July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by champamoore View Post
If this works for the DB, my prayers are answered!
Keep us posted! Id love a way to parallel some voices while leaving them in the filtered mix.
Old 3rd July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost View Post
Keep us posted! Id love a way to parallel some voices while leaving them in the filtered mix.
Will do. I may end up pursuing a mod allowing the filter>master signal path to accept an external input. Then I can keep everything patched into the summing mixer as it currently is, *and* apply filter to desired voices on one of the busses if desired. I don't currently own a soldering station to rig up the cables to attempt the workaround, but have a feeling that will be my next piece of kit.

I did send an inquiry in to Arturia support to see if they are familiar with/suggest this weird wiring trick for the DrumBrute.

I'll keep you in the loop however it sorts out.
Old 20th July 2020
Here for the gear

I finally tried this thing for a good hour in a music shop with monitors.
I’m gonna share some thoughts

First thing, honestly, I really don’t understand all the hate about it: it sounds good. Or better: it sounds like how an analog drum machine should without/before the effects part. Maybe not the best analog DM in the world, it’s no jomox, but still, i think it sounds very good. Vintage, familiar but different in the same time.

Cheap price makes sense because you’re paying for just those 16 sounds and that’s it: no comp, no reverb, no overdrive, no bit crusher, no panning , no LFOs, no p locks, no sample layering, no effects whatsoever.
(well to be correct: 16 sounds and a GREAT sequencer)
So, of course, you can’t expect out of the box to get a fully produced sound like from drum machines that have tons of onboard effects and stuff.
(Take an Analog RYTM, try to use just its analog sounds without adding any effects or sample layering. Sounds impressive? I don’t think so)

I think this machine leans toward those people who prefer to produce their sound in the old way, outside the machine with external gear instead of inside of it within its (often not so fun to use) OS.
Or to people who don’t want to spend extra money for having onboard effects that they're gonna use within their DAW.

About the sounds themselves I found some weird things here and there like some of the voices having parameters with ranges set too wide (kick1 pitch) that make the sweet spot looks super narrow. And others with range set too narrow (kick2 decay!!! )
But the general texture of these sounds seemed pretty good for me, sometimes great (kick2, rim and clap are lovely)

Finally, this is just my opinion, I really think Arturia made a really naive “marketing” mistake when they set the voices levels. For most people the instant gratification factor with any DM is to turn it on and have their windows destroyed by the kick.
So i don’t think it was a wise idea to set, out of the box, both the kicks almost quieter than the hi hats
Actually it’s not really a problem (you just turn down the other levels or use a mixer) but still I think lot of the hate on the web came from this first impression
Anyway It’s funny to see that with the Impact they probably figured that out because the kick on that thing is by far the loudest instrument of the set

So in conclusion: I don’t know if I’ll ever buy myself a drumbrute, because i simply don’t need a 909/808 thing, but honestly I really don’t know what’s to hate about this machine. It’s cheap, sounds good, has a terrific seq and the UI makes it an absolute joy to use.

peace
Old 20th July 2020
Anyone have some clips/videos of this thing sounding good? I love the interface and features but it's like every sound I've heard from it is tupperware-esque.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraLeVipere View Post
I finally tried this thing for a good hour in a music shop with monitors.
I’m gonna share some thoughts

First thing, honestly, I really don’t understand all the hate about it: it sounds good. Or better: it sounds like how an analog drum machine should without/before the effects part. Maybe not the best analog DM in the world, it’s no jomox, but still, i think it sounds very good. Vintage, familiar but different in the same time.

Cheap price makes sense because you’re paying for just those 16 sounds and that’s it: no comp, no reverb, no overdrive, no bit crusher, no panning , no LFOs, no p locks, no sample layering, no effects whatsoever.
(well to be correct: 16 sounds and a GREAT sequencer)
So, of course, you can’t expect out of the box to get a fully produced sound like from drum machines that have tons of onboard effects and stuff.
(Take an Analog RYTM, try to use just its analog sounds without adding any effects or sample layering. Sounds impressive? I don’t think so)

I think this machine leans toward those people who prefer to produce their sound in the old way, outside the machine with external gear instead of inside of it within its (often not so fun to use) OS.
Or to people who don’t want to spend extra money for having onboard effects that they're gonna use within their DAW.

About the sounds themselves I found some weird things here and there like some of the voices having parameters with ranges set too wide (kick1 pitch) that make the sweet spot looks super narrow. And others with range set too narrow (kick2 decay!!! )
But the general texture of these sounds seemed pretty good for me, sometimes great (kick2, rim and clap are lovely)

Finally, this is just my opinion, I really think Arturia made a really naive “marketing” mistake when they set the voices levels. For most people the instant gratification factor with any DM is to turn it on and have their windows destroyed by the kick.
So i don’t think it was a wise idea to set, out of the box, both the kicks almost quieter than the hi hats
Actually it’s not really a problem (you just turn down the other levels or use a mixer) but still I think lot of the hate on the web came from this first impression
Anyway It’s funny to see that with the Impact they probably figured that out because the kick on that thing is by far the loudest instrument of the set

So in conclusion: I don’t know if I’ll ever buy myself a drumbrute, because i simply don’t need a 909/808 thing, but honestly I really don’t know what’s to hate about this machine. It’s cheap, sounds good, has a terrific seq and the UI makes it an absolute joy to use.

peace
You dont really know what you are talking about, all sounds are extremely inferior compared to the real 808/909 and 606 except maybe the kick1 without too much pitch env. Cant compare to Jomox, either. This is not the sound of an old DM. I have a 909 and DB. The hihats on the DB brute are brutally FM distorted when using long decay. The snare does not nicely melt noise with tone, the clap is weak, the toms have extremely low tuning range. Kick2 sounds a bit undefined. It is so weak that even an EQ will have limited use. There is freeware software out there sounding better. Only the sequencer is nice as such. There is too much HF and not enough low mid energy. It sounds more like a toy.

Last edited by Synthpark; 1 day ago at 11:41 PM..
Old 13 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
You dont really know what you are talking about, all sounds are extremely inferior compared to the real 808/909 and 606 except maybe the kick1 without too much pitch env. Cant compare to Jomox, either. This is not the sound of an old DM. I have a 909 and DB. The hihats on the DB brute are brutally FM distorted when using long decay. The snare does not nicely melt noise with tone, the clap is weak, the toms have extremely low tuning range. Kick2 sounds a bit undefined. It is so weak that even an EQ will have limited use. There is freeware software out there sounding better. Only the sequencer is nice as such. There is too much HF and not enough low mid energy. It sounds more like a toy.
I think you’re mistaking a matter of opinion as a matter of fact.

My Drumbrute was actually given to me by a friend who hated the sound so much.

2 years on he can’t believe it still has a place in my setup.

Whilst it sounds NOTHING like an 808/909, it sounds good to me. There’s a softness to the kicks that provide a nice low end without dominating a track.

I’m not mad on the snare but find it’s usable.

The previous poster was bang on the money about the volume relationships between the instruments. Balancing the kick and snare properly makes a huge difference and running the whole lot through a compressor makes it sound great to my ears.

I’m not saying you’re wrong not to like it but I don’t think you can say someone doesn’t know what they’re talking about because they have a different view. It’s not scientific, it’s music.
Old 11 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disastrous View Post
I’m not saying you’re wrong not to like it but I don’t think you can say someone doesn’t know what they’re talking about because they have a different view. It’s not scientific, it’s music.
Always. But I get what Synthpark means. One thing is playing with a pieace of gear for a little while in a music shop (like I did), other thing is to actually use it in recordings and see if it works or not.
So, even if "there is free software sounding better" and "sounds like a toy" look like the average youtube trolling (no offense) his conclusions make absolute sense to me. I have plenty of experiences of gears that seemed great at first and ended up being unusable.

Yes horses for courses but there are, sadly, things that simply don't work well.
The are fuzz pedals that sound great live but they are completely unusable in recordings (too many) and there are fuzz pedals that seems the same thing but they actually manage to sound great recorded (fuzzfactory).

Having said that I think the concept behind the drumbrute is nowhere to replace the 909/808 and become the new techno king. I can see it more toward new generations and indie stuff. Actually all arturia gears give me that vibe.

Anyway I think the drumbrute, even if it's cheap, misleads the expectations because of its look. Seriously, it's one of the best looking drum machine ever. Maybe way too good for what it is
📝 Reply