The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ABL 3 Versus TB 303 Versus TT bass bot
Old 5th October 2016
ABL 3 Versus TB 303 Versus TT bass bot

if you are sick to death of 303 discussions lookaway, otherwise this is interesting, the ABL 3 is pretty much a 100% clone of the original imo..

Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear
Well.....I've preordered my Avalon bassline so I really hope this will be adequate.
If I remember correctly you also have one don't you?
I'd like to know what you think about it
Old 5th October 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog8 View Post
Well.....I've preordered my Avalon bassline so I really hope this will be adequate.
If I remember correctly you also have one don't you?
I'd like to know what you think about it
sold it and bought some euro modules, sounds great, not as much like a real 303 as i thought, a lot the mystique of the 303 is how tactile that little plastic silver box is, for some reason the Avalon being a heavy piece of gear, the sound was much heavier too I thought...weird i know but hey life is mysterious.
Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear

Is anyone of the tb303 owners in the mood to post some dry recorded patterns of their 303 with no knob tweaking? Different settings - yes, please, but not tweakage during at least one bar, so one could try to match their clones.
Preferably square wave, max. resonance and synced to a clocksource with an integer bpm number.

There's so much controversy around this topic but mostly words and almost zero sound examples, which is odd, isn't it?

All of the comparisons on youtube I've seen are meaningless, because it's either not correctly matched (setting the knobs to the same position doesn't work) or detuned, clipped, constantly tweaked or even a different pattern.

I'd really like to find out how good my clone actually is.

I'm gonna build a re303 soon, but in the meantime ...
Old 5th October 2016
Gear Guru

Nah, it's good and I've got nowt against it as I'm no 303 aficionado or fanboy but its differences becomes very clear from about 2.50 onwards

All minor stuff really and does it matter? Not in the grand scope of things IMO , I love the D16 phosycon and that's enough for me

Funny that these chats still happen, will it ever end?
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Is anyone of the tb303 owners in the mood to post some dry recorded patterns of their 303 with no knob tweaking? Different settings - yes, please, but not tweakage during at least one bar, so one could try to match their clones.
Preferably square wave, max. resonance and synced to a clocksource with an integer bpm number.

There's so much controversy around this topic but mostly words and almost zero sound examples, which is odd, isn't it?

All of the comparisons on youtube I've seen are meaningless, because it's either not correctly matched (setting the knobs to the same position doesn't work) or detuned, clipped, constantly tweaked or even a different pattern.

I'd really like to find out how good my clone actually is.

I'm gonna build a re303 soon, but in the meantime ...
i'll record some patterns if it helps ^^ any special pattern wishes? In this post are some audio demos of the re303 compared to my tb303, if youare interested https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12138898-post40.html

P.S. Ab3 sounds closer than most of the hardware clones imo
Old 5th October 2016
the secret to the ABL 3 in rack extension form is the back panel, there is some really cool features and controls on the back that take the synth hard into line with the real thing..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
i'll record some patterns if it helps ^^ any special pattern wishes? In this post are some audio demos of the re303 compared to my tb303, if youare interested https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12138898-post40.html

P.S. Ab3 sounds closer than most of the hardware clones imo
That'd be really cool. I've already seen your post and the "TB-303 vs RE-303 saw wave at different settings" demo is exactly what I'm looking for. No FX, different settings, but static over a few bars.
The same thing in square with different resonance and env settings would be great.

As for patterns, I don't really care as long as it contains the whole set of 303 functions - slides, accents, accent after slide.

Thanks for doing this
Deleted User
Quote:
That'd be really cool. I've already seen your post and the "TB-303 vs RE-303 saw wave at different settings" demo is exactly what I'm looking for. No FX, different settings, but static over a few bars.
The same thing in square with different resonance and env settings would be great.

As for patterns, I don't really care as long as it contains the whole set of 303 functions - slides, accents, accent after slide.

Thanks for doing this
ok, I'll record 2 patterns with some different settings in the evening.. no worries, I am having fun playing with my 303, it's no effort :P
Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear

Worth the upgrade from abl2?
Old 5th October 2016
I've been using ABL 3 for a while. It's a great emulation. Here's a dark ambient example with a little Aleister Crowley thrown in for good measure.

https://soundcloud.com/chemosit/sins-of-the-father
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
I've been using ABL 3 for a while. It's a great emulation. Here's a dark ambient example with a little Aleister Crowley thrown in for good measure.

https://soundcloud.com/chemosit/sins-of-the-father
That's an AWESOME song. It makes me want to check out the Handsonic, as well.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
Worth the upgrade from abl2?
Absolutely, yes. I was personally pretty satisfied with ABL2 but 3 is an even better emulation. The one thing I miss in 3 (that was available in 2) is the Shuffle which the dev has said could be an added feature along the way.
Old 5th October 2016
awesome tune chemosit..
Gear Head

Quote:
Is anyone of the tb303 owners in the mood to post some dry recorded patterns of their 303 with no knob tweaking?
I made this little comparison video a while back. Includes one of my tb303s compared to a xoxbox, tb3 and tt303.

I've since picked up an Avalon and the TBL3 for Reason, and will create a video with these two as well in the near future.

Personally, I really like the ABL3 emulation. Audiorealism did a great job.

Old 5th October 2016
really keen to hear a note for note, knob for knob comparison between ABL3, TB 303, TB03 if someone can knock that one up that would be highly interesting..

careful attention has to be taken with levels as different levels even if slightly out, can trick the listener into thinking one sounds different from another..
Deleted User
Quote:
ok, I'll record 2 patterns with some different settings in the evening.. no worries, I am having fun playing with my 303, it's no effort :P
tomorrow, didn't find time today..
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear

this one is pretty good too, by the same guy:

can't get much better than that, no?

EDIT: i think he did a better job at matching them in this video than in the one in the OP.

Last edited by jbuonacc; 6th October 2016 at 03:21 AM..
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear

It sounds different, I could tell with the video playing in another tab so I didn't know what was what. The TB-303 definitely sounds better. But the others sound close enough for rock n roll. or acid house.
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear

uhh, yeah... how about you actually watch the video and read the description?

jeez.
Old 6th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
uhh, yeah... how about you actually watch the video and read the description?

jeez.
I went back to rewind and watch it to confirm what was what, thx, unless I am missing something and the author was like "I SWITCHED THEM LOL".

I thought TB-303 > TT > ABL3 ...ABL sounded good though. ABL reminds me of Rebirth only better.

EDIT: I was commenting on the video OP posted, not the one you posted. It's closer in the second video, not exact but again close enough.

Last edited by lilita; 6th October 2016 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: watched the second video
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
this one is pretty good too, by the same guy:

can't get much better than that, no?

EDIT: i think he did a better job at matching them in this video than in the one in the OP.
that one was brilliant, there was almost zero phasing in that test..man software really has caught up now imo...between a few cases of euro and a handful of these choice plug ins like legend and ABL 3 you can make all the sick music you ever dreamed of..
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
I went back to rewind and watch it to confirm what was what, thx, unless I am missing something and the author was like "I SWITCHED THEM LOL".

I thought TB-303 > TT > ABL3 ...ABL sounded good though. ABL reminds me of Rebirth only better.
ahh, right. in the first video i'd agree. he's got ABL3 pretty dead-on in the video i posted though (taking into account the different modes/settings of ABL which shows its differences). at a few points you can't barely tell when he cross-fades into one track from the other. even i was impressed, and i love ABL.

EDIT: just saw your edit.
Old 6th October 2016
in the first video I posted he fks up the levels on the ABL I think, some notes sound really quiet on the ABL for some reason, but when it's filter is open etc it sounds almost spot on..
Old 6th October 2016
Deleted User
that's what I already wrote in this tb03 or 909 day thread.. I don't get the love for the tb03 at all, since there is a cheaper digital alternative which just sounds way better than this tb03 box.. people enjoy spending 5 times as much for an obviously inferior sounding product, that's not gearslutz, that's brainwashed slutz.
Lives for gear

Quote:
tomorrow, didn't find time today..
No need to hurry. Do it whenever you have enough time.
Lives for gear
Quote:
that's what I already wrote in this tb03 or 909 day thread.. I don't get the love for the tb03 at all, since there is a cheaper digital alternative which just sounds way better than this tb03 box.. people enjoy spending 5 times as much for an obviously inferior sounding product, that's not gearslutz, that's brainwashed slutz.
Do you now compare plugin to hardware?
HW tend to cost more even if it's just plugin in a box.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
yeah, of course, 200$-250$ would be totally ok, but 400? I like to compare the tb03 with the korg volca bass, what's the price for the little analog bassline synth? do you really think the price is justified?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
On the other hand plugins are probably a lot harder to maintain. Think of all the possible combinations of host software and operating systems, then include the regular updates of both. In order to have satisfied customers and a good reputation, it has to work on all of them.
Quote:
On the other hand plugins are probably a lot harder to maintain. Think of all the possible combinations of host software and operating systems, then include the regular updates of both. In order to have satisfied customers and a good reputation, it has to work on all of them.
This why using Reason is so cool, all you purchases are there left with propellerheads, so any time you move or change computers or whatever major changes you have in your life, you can always just log into props and download them all again, even Reason it's self is always available to re download should you need it.. it's like they maintain everything, I just lease the software and use it whenever I want, it's a great way to have your music software I find.
πŸ“ Reply