The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ABL 3 Versus TB 303 Versus TT bass bot
Old 12th October 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
don't know I was happy with my x0xb0xes, I'd get one again i think if I had to decide now.. also since it's possible to tweak it a little bit.. and there are some choices of firmware, either anttos 303 style sequencer programming or sokk0s/mar0s which are more or less the "modern style" sequencers.

but don't forget about the re303, it's about 3 weeks now until the official release.. of course diy, but there might be occasions to get one.
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Out of the cheaper clones TT-303 and Acidlab Bassline 3 sound good, though not very accurate. If you manage to get a xoxbox similar to that of Evo, well, that would be a good option, too, sounding more accurate.
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ok thx
Old 17th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I was trying to enter the patterns into the TB-03 using the original entry mode and what I remember it being on the original TB-303 and ran into a weird issue.

When entering the Accent/Slide on the TB-03 you cannot change the Up/Down Transpose. You have to set the Transpose before you enter the pitch of the note.

I was pretty sure on the TB-303, you can change them as you pitch step through the notes using the Write/Next/Tap button. Like you can enter the pitch and go back and edit the U/D/A/S freely later. Also when you change the pitch of a note on the TB-03 using the note keys it erases any Accent/Slide you had on that note. Kinda annoying.

Haven't tried the new Step mode but will tonight when I have time.

Any TB-303 owners can confirm the behavior for changing the Transpose Up/Down?
Old 17th October 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
yes, up/down can be entered together with slides/accents and can be changed while stepping through the pattern in pitch mode.
Old 20th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Here is pattern 2 square wave on the TB-03. This was recorded over USB 16/44.
Attached Files

tb03_all.mp3 (1.22 MB, 1873 views)

Deleted User
cool, thank you
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioroid View Post
I was trying to enter the patterns into the TB-03 using the original entry mode and what I remember it being on the original TB-303 and ran into a weird issue.

When entering the Accent/Slide on the TB-03 you cannot change the Up/Down Transpose. You have to set the Transpose before you enter the pitch of the note.

I was pretty sure on the TB-303, you can change them as you pitch step through the notes using the Write/Next/Tap button. Like you can enter the pitch and go back and edit the U/D/A/S freely later. Also when you change the pitch of a note on the TB-03 using the note keys it erases any Accent/Slide you had on that note. Kinda annoying.

Haven't tried the new Step mode but will tonight when I have time.

Any TB-303 owners can confirm the behavior for changing the Transpose Up/Down?
Yeah, there needs to be an asterisk next to "Original Mode"

I don't hate the changes, but I'd rather have it work exactly as the original, alongside the streamlined Step Mode. That new thing is already streamlined, so why alter the original?

Hope they "fix" this in the next update. And by fix, I mean make it exactly as counterintuitive and convoluted and time-consuming as the 1982 data entry style. (And add the random battery trick mode)
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Spy View Post
Yeah, there needs to be an asterisk next to "Original Mode"

I don't hate the changes, but I'd rather have it work exactly as the original, alongside the streamlined Step Mode. That new thing is already streamlined, so why alter the original?

Hope they "fix" this in the next update. And by fix, I mean make it exactly as counterintuitive and convoluted and time-consuming as the 1982 data entry style. (And add the random battery trick mode)
What's the best way we can bring this to Roland's attention to get fixed? If they just allow you to enter up/down like the original, its actually a fast way or working since we now have the value knob to scroll through the steps. They really need to decouple the transpose from the keyboard. If you enter a C and then transpose Up, the C(2) lights up on the keyboard and the up button turns off. It just makes it more confusing. It's like you are paging through a virtual keyboard when it doesn't really need to.

I did try the new step mode, but it actually felt slower to work with but maybe I haven't spent enough time with it.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
What's the best way we can bring this to Roland's attention to get fixed?
Make the $$ signs glow in their eyes by telling them how much money they are gonna make with the TB-003
Deleted User
Quote:
If you enter a C and then transpose Up, the C(2) lights up on the keyboard and the up button turns off. It just makes it more confusing.
well, that actually makes sense, if you transpose the low c, of course it is the high c then.. no point in entering low c and transposing it.
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
that's a sign that the sequencer stores the "pitch" as an absolute value instead of "key/d/u" sepparately as it is on the 303
if that's so, then say goodbye to authentic mode
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto View Post
that's a sign that the sequencer stores the "pitch" as an absolute value instead of "key/d/u" sepparately as it is on the 303
if that's so, then say goodbye to authentic mode
That's probably how the sequencer works. But the TB-03 sequencer isn't code burned into ROM like the TB-303. The voice and the sequencer are all part of the flashable OS.

Roland could change or add anything they want to the sequencer, improve the voice and accent, add more effects, etc.
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah. They could do that. They also could allow the user to load the OS of the various boutique synth onto one HW the user buys once. They could allow the user to use a TR-8 plugin like the plugins with the System 1. They could bring a 303-like bass roll off to the TB-3's firmware. They could use isolated USB connectors on their devices to avoid ground loop hum. They could upgrade the firmware of the TR-8 to allow it to run at lower sample rates than 96k when connected to the computer. But... well... y'know... $$ signs in the eyes...
Old 21st October 2016
Deleted User
It's almost as if Roland was a company and not a wish granting charity for constipated gear nerds and their laundry lists.
Old 21st October 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Here's my acidlab bassline 2 doing pattern 2
Attached Files

acidlab bassline 2.mp3 (1.80 MB, 1236 views)

Old 21st October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Spy View Post
It's almost as if Roland was a company and not a wish granting charity for constipated gear nerds and their laundry lists.
I don't care any more... All of that low key Roland gear is out of the door. And the guy who got my like-new TR-8 for a super low price was attempting to sell it for the same price only a week after getting it.
Old 21st October 2016 | Show parent
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
All of that low key Roland gear...
I can assure you that you're not alone, usually it takes at least a decade to start appreciate Roland gear. It has to be out of production, prices will go up one day on Ebay, the hype becomes high and then... WOW ... why didn't I see it coming earlier?
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well, that's far from my scrnario. My first synth was a JD-800 in 1995
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so here is your first pattern
Attached Files

decoder_1013.mp3 (2.72 MB, 925 views)

Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
and here is file 2
Attached Files

decoder2_1013.mp3 (1.39 MB, 880 views)

Old 23rd October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
and here is file 2
Could you do pattern 2 with the square wave :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesign75 View Post
Could you do pattern 2 with the square wave :-)
phhh.... sure
Deleted User
thx for the effort hehe, now we are pretty much complete, at least with the clones which have a sequencer
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
square
Attached Files

decoder2square_1013.mp3 (1.45 MB, 862 views)

Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it's to explain the reso difference between the analogue and digital clones. liquid and bubbly v/s harsh and flat, IMHO ofcourse, before people go all bezerk again.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
square
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
avalon sounds really saturated? also some really weird noise leaks towards the middle end of pattern 1? are you using the extra EG settings?
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
An acid8 clip would be nice.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
TB vs TT vs TB3 vs TB03:

Squarewave is quite different in all four.

I'm surprised how few comments from this comparison video???

We have endless discussion on the microscopic differences and this video seems to illustrate them perfectly.

I'm also shocked at how tonally different the TT is to the TB-303 and TB-03... and believe me, I would have preferred the opposite (owning a TT and having sold a TB)

Is there anything about this video I'm not considering that isn't telling the whole story or is this pure tone to tone comparison?

-Andrews
πŸ“ Reply