The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Synapse Audio The Legend - the new standard in analog modelling?
Old 20th September 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
Synapse Audio The Legend - the new standard in analog modelling?

Synapse Audio just released a new Mini Moog Model D clone. I know what you're thinking, but currently the only other good option is Monark. But this synth really takes things even further. It's uncanny how close it gets you forget you're using a plugin. It's currently released as Reason Rack Extension but the VSTi/AU should be ready in a few days from what I've heard. CPU consumption is much better than DIVA or Monark.

http://www.synapse-audio.com/rackext...thelegend.html



Quote:
The Legend is an analog-modeling synthesizer plug-in, faithfully recreating the most iconic synthesizer of all times. Developed in cooperation with the vintage synth specialists at Bigtone Studios, The Legend marks new territory in analog modeling technology. Every component, ranging from the voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs), voltage-controlled filter (VCF) and voltage-controlled amplifier (VCA), have been modeled to an accuracy never seen before in software. Furthermore the snappy filter and amplifier envelopes have been meticulously modeled, as well as the massive bottom end - even the most marginal effects like temperature drift or effects originating from the power supply have been taken into account.

On top of all this, The Legend offers additional controls not found on the original hardware, greatly enhancing its already impressive feature set. The most significant additions are the Unison and Polyphonic modes, allowing for fat stereo sounds, as well as enabling polyphonic play. Built around a vectorized core, The Legend is capable of synthesizing four voices for the cost of little more than a single voice, making it one of the most efficient analog-modeling plug-ins available today.

A bonus feature of The Legend is its on-board effects, comprising a high-quality delay and reverb unit. Both effects are tailored to the needs of the synthesizer, and offer just the right sound with only a few parameters each.
There's some comparison files as well
http://www.synapse-audio.com/legend/...VsHardware.zip
Quote:
Couple of notes on those files:
  • You hear the same sequence twicely in each WAV file. The first is always Legend, the second half is hardware.
  • The presets shown here are included in The Legend, under the same names, in the "Vintage" subfolder.
  • The hardware part is played using the vintage Model D we mainly used as a reference. It's a unit in excellent, serviced condition and with the Lintronics MIDI mod, so we were able to use MIDI here, and thus the overall timing of notes and controller data (pitch bend) is very similar - not 100% due to the usual MIDI inaccuracies, but much closer than if we had to play the hardware live.
  • The Legend models the two main revisions of the Model D, coined Early and Late. The files above are made with the late D, which has the big advantage of having stable oscillator tunings. Of course oscillators run freely as in pretty much every analog synth, so each note will sound slightly different.
Using the clips above (and a couple more), we performed various blind tests and so far noone was able to spot the real Model D reliably. If someone thinks they can, we're happy to send over more comparison clips, where we won't tell in advance which is which. We believe it is impossible though to tell them apart.
Edit:
VST/AU version with demo is released now
http://www.synapse-audio.com/thelegend.html

Last edited by miscend; 24th September 2016 at 10:35 AM..
Old 20th September 2016
  #2
Gear Head
I just downloaded the trial.. going to test it out later tonight. Looks promising
Old 20th September 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
gentleclockdivid's Avatar
 

Mr hofmann deserves way more credit .
Ever since he started coding r.e. Plugs he's on a roll.
Not a reaon user here . but Iam verry glad he focusses on quality plugs instead of orion ( which seemed not so popular)

Dune 2 is abs. amazing.
Looking forward to the legend vst
Old 21st September 2016
  #4
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Mr hofmann deserves way more credit .
Ever since he started coding r.e. Plugs he's on a roll.
Not a reaon user here . but Iam verry glad he focusses on quality plugs instead of orion ( which seemed not so popular)

Dune 2 is abs. amazing.
Looking forward to the legend vst

I agree Dune 2 is awesome.
Old 21st September 2016
  #5
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
sounds great, might grab this actually..
Old 21st September 2016
  #6
Gear Head
 

I've been on the beta team for the VSTi version of this. All I can say is prepare to be amazed! It's an extremely good emulation.
Old 21st September 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
Better than ACB?
Old 21st September 2016
  #8
Gear Head
 

Better
Old 22nd September 2016
  #9
Gear Head
 

Barring something unforeseen, the VST/AU will be released within the next 24 hours
Old 22nd September 2016
  #10
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Hm, should have modeled the reissue for that extra dedicated LFO.
Old 22nd September 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Synapse Audio - The Legend (Rack Extension for Reason)

This softsynth offers a really good approximation of the Moog Model D Sound.

I've compared it to my Sub37 and for certain bread-and-butter patches, it sounded practically identical (w/o EQ/FX). Astonishing!

The CPU usage is relatively low: 24 voices (6 instances * 4 voices, all playing at the same time) take ~30% on my i7 4770.

Synapse Audio said that each of the 4 voices are calculated in parallel on a single CPU core via some clever SSE optimizations (either the compilers have become really good at auto-vectorization or the devs really went to town with manual optimizations )

The RE works really well in the modular Reason environment.
Performance features that this synth does not offer out-of-the-box (e.g. velocity-to-cutoff or additional LFOs) can easily be added by placing the synth in a "combinator" and enhancing it with other devices/REs.

Some tipps and tricks:
  • the Propellerhead RPG-8 (with the arpeggiator switched off) can be used to turn MIDI input to CV/Gate signals (it is velocity sensitive and works with legato notes, too, unlike some other REs)
  • the Ochen K A-Series2 RE can be used to sample&hold gate (or other CV) signals (e.g. to implement velocity-to-cutoff that does not reset when a note is released) (this RE is a multi-purpose device that also has a ring modulator, noise generator, a simple filter, and a 6 channel CV+audio mixer)
  • the Lectric Panda Janitor CV Shaper RE is very useful for offsetting/scaling CV signals
  • the Propellerhead Pulsar device (included with the current version of Reason) is very useful for adding more LFOs. For example, you can route the LFO output to the synth's global fine tune parameter and use the modwheel to scale the LFO output (=> vibrato). When the modwheel input is switched off for the synth in the combinator programmer, the (hardwired) virtual synth modwheel routing can be used for other things (OSC or filter FM).

It also is possible to route external audio into the RE (pre-filter, pre-FX) (the ext-in level knob is on the back of the device).
Beside other things, this makes it possible to pre-process the oscillator signal by simply using two instances of the synth, or you can use one instance and replace the oscillator signal with something entirely different.

The envelopes are real snappy, something you won't get with filter REs that don't have builtin envelopes (unless Reason runs at very high sample rates (96Khz and up). The CV update rate in Reason is 64 sample frames and the effective update rate therefore depends on the audio interface sample rate).

Last but not least, the RE includes an FX section that has a delay, and a reverb that is modeled after the Lexicon 224. According to Synapse Audio, this is new code, not a recycled DR-1 reverb like in Antidote. Sounds good!

p.s.: I'm not affiliated with any of this companies, I just like their products and am in general amazed by these kinds of technological advancements!
p.p.s.: Don't get me wrong, I love hardware synths and definitely won't sell my Sub37 because of this but I love software, too!
Old 22nd September 2016
  #12
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Hm, should have modeled the reissue for that extra dedicated LFO.
It was discussed, but left as a possible future update.
Old 22nd September 2016
  #13
Those minimoog legato lines sound really authentic.
Old 22nd September 2016
  #14
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Hm, should have modeled the reissue for that extra dedicated LFO.
Why? You can have as many as you want thanks to Pulsar or other LFO
Old 23rd September 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 
gentleclockdivid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp804 View Post
The envelopes are real snappy, something you won't get with filter REs that don't have builtin envelopes (unless Reason runs at very high sample rates (96Khz and up). The CV update rate in Reason is 64 sample frames and the effective update rate therefore depends on the audio interface sample rate).

Last ![/SIZE]
This is incorrect.
Reaons c.v.update rate is not 64 samples..bur rather a 64 th. of the actual samplerate.
Running reason at 44khz, c.v.
updates @44100/64 =689hz .which is low..
Old 23rd September 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 

I think you are mistaken here (yes, there are websites that state the same info, does not mean it's legit).

In my experience, CV-modulated envelopes sound a lot more detailed when running at high sample rates.

What you said about the 689Hz update rate for 44.1khz is correct, though: 64/44100 = ~0.00145 sec per update, i.e. 1/0.00145 (to convert to Hz) is ~689.

For 96 kHz you get 64/96000 => 1500 Hz.

But I agree, 689Hz is low and I wish this would be configurable in Reason -- w/o resorting to unnecessary high sample rates (as far as I am concerned, I am sticking to 44.1Khz b/c it's enough IMHO, some synths/FX internally oversample to 8x of that, anyway).

EDIT: Just for the record, gentleclockdivid: We were both right since (samplerate/64) is the exact same thing as 1/(64/samplerate) :-) (I'm not good at math so very late at night but it dawned on me this morning)
Old 23rd September 2016
  #17
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerond View Post
Why? You can have as many as you want thanks to Pulsar or other LFO
I don't understand that sentence.
Old 23rd September 2016
  #18
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytospur View Post
It was discussed, but left as a possible future update.
Well, as a person who's got Monark, Mini V, Reaktor 6, and two hardware synths with Moog clone filters, plus a Moog Mother 32, I'm going to need something more.
Old 23rd September 2016
  #19
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerond View Post
Why? You can have as many as you want thanks to Pulsar or other LFO
Oh wait. That's a Reason thing, eh? I'm not a Reason user.
Old 23rd September 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Oh wait. That's a Reason thing, eh? I'm not a Reason user.
It's never too late to start using Reason

I just started learning Reason 9. I'm sure it will be a great DAW to use, both as Rewired into another DAW in my case (Cubase Pro 8.5 & Studio One Pro v3), and as a Standalone DAW.

I'm also discovering that Reason has a lot of cool RE's and Refills. and the flexibility you get with Reason devices is great for creative sound design.

I'm excited to see this new Synapse RE released by Synapse Audio, and that I can eventually get the VST version for free, once it becomes available.

Last edited by muziksculp; 23rd September 2016 at 09:22 AM..
Old 23rd September 2016
  #21
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Well, as a person who's got Monark, Mini V, Reaktor 6, and two hardware synths with Moog clone filters, plus a Moog Mother 32, I'm going to need something more.
4 note polyphony and unison. Under the hood tweaking. Early and late model Minimoogs. Reverb modelled on the Lexicon 224.

But as you say, you are well covered. I would recommend trying the demo though
Old 23rd September 2016
  #22
Gear Head
 

I hope it's ok to copy over this post from KvR, from BigTone, who was deeply involved in the development of Legend:

brok landers wrote:
hi fellas,

i think it's time for me to chime in here to clear up some stuff.
as maybe some of you know richard from synapse audio and me developed legend.
he did the coding (which was a tremendeous and very tedious effort), i brought the mini (in i must say _exellent_ condition - thanks, till!) and measured it via ear, waterfall diagrams, oscilloscopes and analysers and whatnot and tweaked the "rough cut" to as close as imo one can get. i also made the dry/wet demo comparsion files, which are posted on the propellerheads forum.

the minimoog, although not a very mojo-filled synth as one who only knows it from the myth behind it might think, is very tricky in quite some aspects, that, if you do not put weight on these aspects, lead to a sound that can never reproduce the behave of the minimoog.

the envelopes are complex beasts in terms of behaviour, they have a quite noticable amplitude-spike within the first milliseconds, which flattens as soon as the attack and the decay are raised (other fully analog synths show that behaviour, too). as you can imagine, _this_ makes the sound _very_ snappy. then there's some kind of dc-overflow in the filter env amount, which has the tendency to rise and add up from a lower point of the amount originally being set up with every keystroke, up until it reaches the full amount that has been set up. to get this behavoir right over the full range of the pots, we did sweat blood.
then there's, obviously the cascaded ladder filter which the minimoog is so famous for, which interacts with several filter-internal gainstages and dc-offsetfactors, of which the typical, characteristic drive behaviour comes from. the vca stage does the rest of the silky and round sound. also, the minimoog ladder, due to some kind of highpass in the feedback of the filter, is flat response at max resonance, down to around 150-100hz (depending on how carefully the original was maintained and serviced), then the resonance rapidly drops off into nirvana. this also is the reason, why the mini handles basses so well, as the resonance, as soon it reaches the first few harmonics of the osc, doesn't overlay these, as it drops away in level at below this frequency.

also the osc shapes _mandatorily_ have to be done perfect, otherwise the filter doesn't behave like in the original. the square and the two pulses were really hard and crucial, but the hardest was the triangle - because in the late versions of the model d (83/84) were _far_ away from a real triangle shape - strange enough the older versions were way closer to a triangle.

then the pink noise, which, when used for frequency/filter frequency modulation, is filtered down in the control path only to some kind of red noise, was also very crucial. if you want fm that sounds close to a minimoog, the osc behaviour as well as the red noise has to be quite acurately modelled, otherwise it will sound _nothing_ like a minimoog.

there' s plenty of stuff i could go on about, but you might understand what i am trying to say.
i myself owned three minis, one from 76 and two from the last ones in the 80s.

now as i was deeply involved in the development of legend i can tell you that up to now there is _no_ emulation of the minimoog coming so close as legend does - in all aspects. richard did a einstein-like job on this, sitting here in my studio day after day, programming like a maniac. but of course you don't have to believe me (of course you might think i'm biassed) - just listen to the dry comparsion wav files i did once they're on the synapse audio site, ready to be downloaded or get them from the link of the propellerheads forum (i believe someone posted the link to these here in this thread), if they're still there, and judge for yourself. and get the demo, once it is out and fiddle around with it.
i can only say, that legend sounds and behaves nearly identical to the minimoog we had here, and as i stated before, it was in excellent condition and well serviced.

the video demo which kevin made is a very nice one, but i can see some users wanting something completely different, when they have the sound of a minimoog in mind, so for them a rather contemporary edm/bigroom demo might be a red flag. but believe me - legend delivers.

so, to sum it up, if you are after the minimoog-sound/behave for your daw, legend is the closest to get there. while i know all minimoog emulations there are, and some of them are great synths in their own right, they fail when it comes to some of the above stated aspects, which make a great part of the minimoog sound (even monark fails f.e. deeply in the noise fm modulation). and on top of it legend offers quite some tweaking possibilities, that an original minimoog only gives you, if you open it and tweak the screwpots. and it's polyphonic - so _that_ is unique, as there obviously never was a polyphonic minimoog.

now there you have it.
Old 23rd September 2016
  #23
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Oh wait. That's a Reason thing, eh? I'm not a Reason user.
It's never too late to start

What it means it's that it's pointless to add another LFO, when in Reason you can add as many LFO's as you want with other rack devices such Pulsar or others.
Old 23rd September 2016
  #24
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytospur View Post
4 note polyphony and unison. Under the hood tweaking. Early and late model Minimoogs. Reverb modelled on the Lexicon 224.

But as you say, you are well covered. I would recommend trying the demo though
Oh, you couldn't stop me. I'm just waiting for the 64 bit VST. I'm too deeply entrenched in Live to jump ship and go Reason and there's not much in Reason that compels me to run it via Rewire.
Old 23rd September 2016
  #25
Gear Head
Finally got to play with Legend last night. Pretty good I must say. I can see myself using it in my travel rig instead of lugging along a minitaur or slim phatty for moog bass and leads. The poly sounds are pretty cool I admit. Some of the string/pad patches are very nice as well. I think I will end up buying it.
Old 24th September 2016
  #26
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
It's never too late to start using Reason

I just started learning Reason 9. I'm sure it will be a great DAW to use, both as Rewired into another DAW in my case (Cubase Pro 8.5 & Studio One Pro v3), and as a Standalone DAW.

I'm also discovering that Reason has a lot of cool RE's and Refills. and the flexibility you get with Reason devices is great for creative sound design.

I'm excited to see this new Synapse RE released by Synapse Audio, and that I can eventually get the VST version for free, once it becomes available.
Welcome to the club, I'm going to upgrade from 7 to 9 shortly, don't forget you can try all the RE's for 30 days before you buy them, this is a great way to really know if you want to spend your money or not..there are no limits on the try it before buy it either, you can write whole tracks to completion using them for free and there are no problems...I also like you change the entire look of Reason now too, so you can have it look like any other DAW should you wish or go crazy with your own custom color scheme..
Old 24th September 2016
  #27
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Welcome to the club, I'm going to upgrade from 7 to 9 shortly, don't forget you can try all the RE's for 30 days before you buy them, this is a great way to really know if you want to spend your money or not..there are no limits on the try it before buy it either, you can write whole tracks to completion using them for free and there are no problems...I also like you change the entire look of Reason now too, so you can have it look like any other DAW should you wish or go crazy with your own custom color scheme..
Hi fiddlestickz,

Thanks for welcoming me to the club

Yes, I think reason is unique, and has its own advantages when compared to traditional DAWs. I also like the fact that PH are working on moving it forward every year.

Q. You mention you can customize the color scheme of Reason, I thought there were only two options (Blue, or Dark) that one can choose from in Reason 9, did they add any more GUI/Color customization options in 9.1 ? or am I missing something ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 24th September 2016
  #28
Lives for gear
Let's not forget that you get a free VST version if you buy the RE.
Old 24th September 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
The Legend VST/AU is out now! There's a demo in this page.


Synapse Audio Software The Legend VST/AU
Old 24th September 2016
  #30
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
check out these A/B examples, first is the software, then hardware follows..



impressive modelling..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump