The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Synapse Audio The Legend - the new standard in analog modelling?
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Cool, thanks for the 8 voice update. A single core of my 2017 i9 (Skylake-X) can run 5 "polychained" Legend instances (FX enabled), +1 Legend FX instance (=> 41 voices total). And it (still) sounds amazing !
Old 4 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Sandy Bridge (2011) onwards.
Sweet, I think I just snuck in there. I'll check it later, I really don't see it sounding better than monark but I'd be happy if it did.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
I really don't see it sounding better than monark but I'd be happy if it did.
I’ve got Monark. Don’t have The Legend. Yet. But this video certainly gives the impression that it sounds better than Monark in terms of a Model D recreation.

Sounds fantastic to my ears.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Monark sounds spot on to the actual Minimoog NI has in their offices, tho. I played them side by side. It screams like a mofo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
When will the RE version get updated?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I’ve got Monark. Don’t have The Legend. Yet. But this video certainly gives the impression that it sounds better than Monark in terms of a Model D recreation.

Sounds fantastic to my ears.

Yeah, from everything I've read and watched (alas, can't compare them myself), The Legend has edged out Monark for some (all?) time. Add in the additional features and there's no question in my mind which is better (starts with an "L"). Not that Monark is bad in any sense - nor could 99.999% of the world's population probably ever tell a difference. Even the iOS Moog Model D app gets close on some sounds - not quite as good as The Legend or Monark, but quite possibly #3 .
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They're just different Minimoogs. As I said, Monark is spot on to the actual early Mini in NI's offices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
They're just different Minimoogs. As I said, Monark is spot on to the actual early Mini in NI's offices.
I’m not sure that’s all it is, to be honest.

If you watch that Starsky Carr video, he’s comparing it to his own Model D, so obviously not the same one that either in the comparison was based on.

There are certain things that The Legend gets spot on both in terms of timbre and how it technically responds to resonance etc. Monark is good (in isolation) but it’s no match in that comparison - although not the worst by any means. It’s worth a watch.

As I said, I own Monark and don’t own The Legend as it’s great for my needs as it is. However, I am curious about owning a poly version that’s for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I watched that video quite some time ago, and I still stand by my statement. Especially after sitting right next to the Mini NI used to model and comparing them side by side. Actually they are not exactly the same - the original is more noisy and there's more crosstalk in it. But the filter behavior, envelopes, etc. all sounded quite identical to me. Could be that that particular Mini they have was calibrated quite differently, for some reason.

BTW, 8 voice poly mode in The Legend: fckawesome!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
BTW, 8 voice poly mode in The Legend: fckawesome!

Yeah, it’s tempting fo-shiz.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So when does their end of may sale starts this year? I am ready for this
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Yeah, from everything I've read and watched (alas, can't compare them myself), The Legend has edged out Monark for some (all?) time. Add in the additional features and there's no question in my mind which is better (starts with an "L"). Not that Monark is bad in any sense - nor could 99.999% of the world's population probably ever tell a difference. Even the iOS Moog Model D app gets close on some sounds - not quite as good as The Legend or Monark, but quite possibly #3 .
I downloaded the Legend demo, I think I’ll get this soft synth, I liked it a lot. I compared it to the Model D iOS app. I was able, in most instances, to get the Legend and the Model D app to sound identical. The knob values would have to be slightly different. It didn’t matter whether I started the patch on the Legend or the Model D, I was able to match them almost perfectly. Really really close. The Model D app sounds more “aged” right away, on the Legend I dialed that in, so I would say the Legend has the ability to sound cleaner and tighter. I want the Legend for having some Moog sounds inside of Logic, and now the extra polyphony is a great incentive. I haven’t tried Monark.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
The Model D app sounds more “aged” right away, on the Legend I dialed that in, so I would say the Legend has the ability to sound cleaner and tighter.
I agree...it can sound almost like a modern moog...It has a lot of control over the saturation and drive which is a great feature.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Legend has a slightly cleaner sound compared to my old Minimoog. The mini was more 'alive' with more saturation, despite having the new oscillator boards. But I had to sell it and that is where the Legend jumps in. Not as tactile, but really a very powerful and easy to control synth that does a convincing minimoog sound.
It is unfortunate the latest version wouldn't work on both my mac pro 5,1 and 2015 macbook pro: Live 9 crashes instantly. @ Synapse Audio
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
So when does their end of may sale starts this year? I am ready for this
I don’t know but I emailed them a few days ago to see if they offered any “cross-grade” discounts for Monark users but never got a reply.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrovolt View Post
The Legend has a slightly cleaner sound compared to my old Minimoog. The mini was more 'alive' with more saturation, despite having the new oscillator boards. But I had to sell it and that is where the Legend jumps in. Not as tactile, but really a very powerful and easy to control synth that does a convincing minimoog sound.
It is unfortunate the latest version wouldn't work on both my mac pro 5,1 and 2015 macbook pro: Live 9 crashes instantly. @ Synapse Audio
Download the Mac Legacy version, chances are it will run on both of your Macs. Probably your Mac Pro CPU has no AVX instruction set. About the MBP, it should have AVX but I'd need to know the model or even better the exact Intel processor number to be sure.

Richard
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don’t know but I emailed them a few days ago to see if they offered any “cross-grade” discounts for Monark users but never got a reply.
I just answered After an update like this there is always a large amount of emails to handle, so it takes longer than usual.

Anyway we do not offer cross-grades from other companies' products.

Richard
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse Audio View Post
I just answered
Ha! That was shpooky.

Thank you for your reply, Richard.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Download the Mac Legacy version, chances are it will run on both of your Macs. Probably your Mac Pro CPU has no AVX instruction set. About the MBP, it should have AVX but I'd need to know the model or even better the exact Intel processor number to be sure.

Richard
Maybe the installer should check for the AVX ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Maybe the installer should check for the AVX ?
Sure, we do this under Windows and use the proper version automatically. On the Mac, however, we also wanted to support older OS X versions and hence we made two installers instead. We'll see if we can find a better solution. Unfortunately it is much more complex on the Mac than on the PC, since the OS X version as well as Retina support are additional factors on top of AVX availability. If Apple really replaces the Intel processors next year, the nightmare will be complete

Richard
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Is there no equivalent to AVX on ARM?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If Apple really replaces the Intel processors next year, the nightmare will be complete
I would imagine that the nightmare would be on Apple. Can't see many professional users going to a non-Intel chip system if their software (and hence livelihood) depend on it.

I'm sure new buyers won't even care, but for existing users it reminds me of the change from OS 9 to OSX and the trouble that caused - with or without Rosetta.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I would imagine that the nightmare would be on Apple. Can't see many professional users going to a non-Intel chip system if their software (and hence livelihood) depend on it.

I'm sure new buyers won't even care, but for existing users it reminds me of the change from OS 9 to OSX and the trouble that caused - with or without Rosetta.
Professionals have nothing to worry about. The only reason Apple may be switching to their own chips is the lack of progress and innovation in X86. Apple feel their laptops are being bottlenecked by Intel. If you remember back in the day they switched from PPC because IBM’s chips were not power efficient and ran hot compared to the newer Intel core chips. Apple want their laptops to be thinner and have cooler thermals.

ARM has NEON and SVE instructions which are comparable to AVX512. I’ve been told.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The only reason Apple may be switching to their own chips is the lack of progress and innovation in X86.
Uh huh.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Professionals have nothing to worry about. The only reason Apple may be switching to their own chips is the lack of progress and innovation in X86. Apple feel their laptops are being bottlenecked by Intel. If you remember back in the day they switched from PPC because IBM’s chips were not power efficient and ran hot compared to the newer Intel core chips. Apple want their laptops to be thinner and have cooler thermals.

ARM has NEON and SVE instructions which are comparable to AVX512. I’ve been told.
Yeah, replacing the DSP parts is probably not even the main issue. It is more the many little things to do, like building and testing universal binaries (which means again doubling the already large number of distinct Mac builds), etc.

Richard
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

omg where have i been, thank you for the 8 voice update! To me, it sounds just like the old Omega 8 i used to have!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search