The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Exploding JV2080 expansion card Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Nut

Exploding JV2080 expansion card

I was wondering why my Super Sound set expansion card was no longer working so I opened the JV2080.

Sure enough

Looks like there were significant flames. Good thing it didn't take the other cards or the JV or the rest of the rack with it!

Bruno
Attached Thumbnails
Exploding JV2080 expansion card-img_3823.jpg   Exploding JV2080 expansion card-img_3822.jpg  
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

WTF

how did that happen?
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Wow. You are very fortunate the flames or burn didn't expand beyond that card. Whatever happened definitely had potential to cause a lot more damage than it did. I wonder what could've caused that to happen.
Old 15th September 2016
There wasnt a mission impossible preset in there was there?

Crazy
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Nut

No idea how or even when it happened. I think the component that burst into flame is a capacitor. Apparently they do that sometimes when they get old. Worrisome though...
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

i have had many synths/modules/gear in the last 20 years and this never happened.
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

That's pretty extreme. Usually, the magic smoke just gets let out and it smells funny for a week.
Old 15th September 2016
At least it wasn't the Vintage Synth card! If I could only have one, that'd be it.
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Guru

But the JV still works?

(cue the bad jokes about how hardware definitely sounds warmer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
At least it wasn't the Vintage Synth card! If I could only have one, that'd be it.
It's pretty playable but the art is more in the programming than the accuracy of the emulation. Used to have that and the Keys of the 60s/70s card for my XP-30.
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

That's pretty unusual for a low-power component like a memory card! Glad nothing else burned.

I got an Alesis Midiverb III from eBay a long time ago and when it came, I set it on top of some other rack gear and powered it up. About 10 seconds later, there was a huge pop and it jumped a few inches off the top of the stack. Surprising to say the least!

When I opened it up, it was full of burned cotton fluff from the large power supply capacitor that had exploded. First and hopefully last time I'll see that.
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Geez.

Was the synth powered 24/7?
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Its vital you clean off the electrolyte on "all cards" as soon as possible since the electrolyte are corrosive, can also be seen in your picture. Pull out all cards and wash rinse in lukewarm soap water if you dont have a have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, dry in your kitchen oven/hair dryer whatever at 30-40degC for an 30-35min or over night in room temperature (less wear).
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
Its vital you clean off the electrolyte on "all cards" as soon as possible since the electrolyte are corrosive, can also be seen in your picture. Pull out all cards and wash rinse in lukewarm soap water if you dont have a have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, dry in your kitchen oven/hair dryer whatever at 30-40degC for an 30-35min or over night in room temperature (less wear).
Thank you very much. I didn't know that. I got some isopropanol and gave all the boards a good clean
Old 16th September 2016
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Contact Roland and describe the problem and send photos.
Old 4th April 2017
Here for the gear

Hazardous Roland SR-JV80 cards

Hi,
I found this to www.roland.co.jp.

https://www.roland.com/jp/support/support_news/170119/

translated by google translater:

To Expansion Board SR-JV80 Series Customers
Published January 27, 2017
Thank you very much for your patronage of our products on a daily basis.
The Expansion Board SR-JV80 series has been in production for more than 20 years since the initial production, electrolyte in use may rarely leak due to aged deterioration of the electrolytic capacitor used.
If electrolyte leaks out, in the worst case there is a risk of smoking.
Customers who are currently using the SR-JV80 series with sound module or synthesizer should stop using them immediately.
If you continue to use this SR-JV80 series in the future, please consult the Roland customer consultation center.
Roland Customer Consultation Center 050-3101-2555
* Follow the voice guidance, please press the repair reception desk "1 #".
Reception hours: Monday to Friday 10: 00 ~ 17: 00 (excluding holidays and our specified holidays)
We deeply apologize for any inconvenience to our customers who love their products. From now on, we will strive to further improve the quality. Thank you for your consideration
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

That sucks. I really like the drums, sound effects and patches on my SR-JV80-12 (Hip-hop) card.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

If they give specs for capacitors maybe they can be replaced before it nulls the card.

Roland may also encourage rebates for Integra 7 maybe?
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

The only capacitor that could leak is the surface mounted 100uF 6V electrolytic. It's a standard part and would be a straightforward replacement job. The good thing is that all parts on the card are visible and aren't hidden away in some plastic or epoxy casing. Once the board is removed from the synth it should be easily seen if that device is leaking.

Tony
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Wut?
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Since there is no official English translation of this notice on Roland's U.S. website and no widespread announcement, it makes me wonder if this only pertains to Japanese customers/users. Afterall, this warning only appears on the Japanese website. I don't know their electricity but maybe it's perhaps different from U.S. standards and voltages. IDK.

I just know here in the U.S., we use 110v. I know some other countries overseas use 220v. I don't know what Japan uses. I wonder if these differences (if there are any) in voltages could have an impact on the power supply of the sound module and the amount of current running through the capacitors of the SR-JV80 cards over time only in that particular region of the world. Any thoughts?

Last edited by kvmoore; 4th April 2017 at 11:29 AM..
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear
I have two cards in my XP80 (world and asia). Would be a great shame to loose them.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Chances are, the issue is not limited to the cards; there are probably other Roland products that use the same components.
Old 4th April 2017
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
I have two cards in my XP80 (world and asia). Would be a great shame to loose them.
And over a dozen of the same capacitors in your XP80.
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Nut

I had it happen to me a while back and I emailed Roland about it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...sion-card.html
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Kudos to Roland for offering service, I'm surprised because the average life of modern electrolytic caps are about 15 to 20 years.
Old 4th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Kudos to Roland for offering service, I'm surprised because the average life of modern electrolytic caps are about 15 to 20 years.
What service are they offering? I only read it as them telling us to stop using the expansion cards.

I have 4 cards installed in my JV-1080. Fortunately, this is a relatively small capacitor so a pop probably won't damage anything surrounding, other than the card itself. It probably is a simple replacement, but I've never done any SMT soldering. Also, a leaking capacitor won't necessarily cause the board to burn up. The material can potentially damage the PCB. I replaced capacitors in my MKS-80, and many of them were leaking onto the PCB. Never started a fire. I think this issue is probably more like what happened to @timespy. Capacitor exploded.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
That sucks. I really like the drums, sound effects and patches on my SR-JV80-12 (Hip-hop) card.
you can probably make all those drum sounds without the card.
the rest is just drum loops, weird vocal samples and a few more
synth waveforms.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
you can probably make all those drum sounds without the card.
the rest is just drum loops, weird vocal samples and a few more
synth waveforms.
I might just sample the drums. As far as synth patches go, I've got plenty of dedicated hardware synths for that. I can do without the loops. I really bought the card just for the drum sample waveforms and kits, which are great. There's a nice wah guitar sample in there too.

Futhermore, I wonder what this issue could mean for people selling these cards on ebay? I was strongly considering adding a "Vintage Keys" or "Keyboards of the 60's and 70's" card later on down the road for the classic e-piano and organs but after reading this, I highly doubt it now. Looks like the only safe bet for these sounds now is the Integra 7, which is still pretty expensive. I bet 5 years from now second-hand units will probably sell for $700-$800 or less. It's a good thing the Integra exists because it's a shame all of these sounds were not released on SRX, which means I can't use them in my Fantom S unless I sample them. With no digital out options on the JV1080, sampling will involve a D/A-A/D conversion step which could slightly affect the sound quality. It's all good though. The analog outs of the JV1080 sound really good.

Last edited by kvmoore; 4th April 2017 at 10:42 PM..
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

keep it on the hush hush until you've flogged them, i would..
i was thinking of taking the d*mn card out and flogging it
anyway.. i was triggering those sounds with the 626 and
getting some quite good stuff, but at the end of the day
they are not very high resolution and it tells. dry, anyway.
thing is, what's it worth, and is it worth being without..
got plenty of other drum sounds.
yes, i could do without the vocal samples jumping up at me
all the time. i mean, i think those cards are all a bit of a con
anyway: you get synth sounds that already have filter envelopes,
ie: (useless), you don't get extra preset memory, just a load of
presets made by someone else (that i can't use) -suppose it
was of its time but it's a weird implementation anyway.
i think i prefer the bare bones JV as it is. if only it could skip
all the waveforms you won't use..
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, once I sample my favorite sounds from the card, I'll probably be using my JV barebones as well. Then add the card samples to my MPC library of drums.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the XP30 which also has most of the cards built in. That's a good alternative to the Integra.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search