The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RE-303 project (it's not a TB-303 clone, it's a replica)
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

as I said kindly ask .. paul will know that already

there is another shop from andorra .. but you have to ask them friendly too ..

https://reverb.com/item/31723593-pix...03-tr606-tb303
Old 1st March 2020
I verified that Time Mode + D.C. sets the last bar of the Track. Track repeats after playing that bar. I also tested clear mode. That works with: With sequencer not running, Press+Hold Clear, Then Press + Hold Tap Button, Then Press + Hold Back (so you will pressing all three buttons before releasing). The track should clear.

I'll say that it is a bit to wrap your head around track mode. Just try to remember to identify which bar you are at. You will probably find yourself hitting the Back button quite a bit in Write mode. For example when setting the last bar of the track, Set the last pattern and hit Write as normal. This will move the sequence to the next bar, which you don't want to include, so you have to hit Back and then Time Mode + D.C. to set that bar as the last one. If you hit Time Mode + D.C. after hitting write on the last pattern, it will set the next bar as the end of the track.
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
I verified that Time Mode + D.C. sets the last bar of the Track. Track repeats after playing that bar. I also tested clear mode. That works with: With sequencer not running, Press+Hold Clear, Then Press + Hold Tap Button, Then Press + Hold Back (so you will pressing all three buttons before releasing). The track should clear.

I'll say that it is a bit to wrap your head around track mode. Just try to remember to identify which bar you are at. You will probably find yourself hitting the Back button quite a bit in Write mode. For example when setting the last bar of the track, Set the last pattern and hit Write as normal. This will move the sequence to the next bar, which you don't want to include, so you have to hit Back and then Time Mode + D.C. to set that bar as the last one. If you hit Time Mode + D.C. after hitting write on the last pattern, it will set the next bar as the end of the track.
Thanks man

Will give it a shot tonight.
Old 1st March 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry_Tross View Post
Anyone know a source for Pixie CPU's with the 303 emulation already flashed? Not wanting to swap out quite yet but woukd like to have one ready down the road.
Get in touch with me via [email protected] and I'll send you a flashed one for the purchase price.
Old 1st March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Thanks man

Will give it a shot tonight.
I made this video on how to use track mode and clearing the track. Figured it would be a good idea as I will probably forget myself and may be helpful for others.
I think the problem with programming the 303 is that it doesn’t behave the way most expect in comparison to modern sequencers. IMO, the Sonic Potions cpu is fine. When it comes to the 303 programming functions, it probably behaves the same as the original.

Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
I made this video on how to use track mode and clearing the track. Figured it would be a good idea as I will probably forget myself and may be helpful for others.
I think the problem with programming the 303 is that it doesn’t behave the way most expect in comparison to modern sequencers. IMO, the Sonic Potions cpu is fine. When it comes to the 303 programming functions, it probably behaves the same as the original.

You sir, are an absolute hero. Worked first time after watching your fabulous video. Thanks so much!

I’ve downloaded the vid as I’m sure I’ll need it again soon enough
Old 2nd March 2020
Quote:

You sir, are an absolute hero. Worked first time after watching your fabulous video. Thanks so much!

I’ve downloaded the vid as I’m sure I’ll need it again soon enough
Glad you got it working.

Some people seem to have trouble with programming on the SP cpu and think it is just bugs, but I’m not so sure it is bugs, rather dealing with the quirkiness of the 303 sequencer. For example, how the sequencer picks up on where it stopped in either Write or Play mode when switching between the modes. I don’t know for certain, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same on the original TB-303. The OG functions of the SP are said to be identical. There have been bugs with that, such as bar 1 playing twice in Track Play, but were fixed a long time ago. There may still be bugs, but I don’t believe I have encountered them for how I use it. There are many modern features that I don’t really use.
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0
Glad you got it working.

Some people seem to have trouble with programming on the SP cpu and think it is just bugs, but I’m not so sure it is bugs, rather dealing with the quirkiness of the 303 sequencer. For example, how the sequencer picks up on where it stopped in either Write or Play mode when switching between the modes. I don’t know for certain, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same on the original TB-303. The OG functions of the SP are said to be identical. There have been bugs with that, such as bar 1 playing twice in Track Play, but were fixed a long time ago. There may still be bugs, but I don’t believe I have encountered them for how I use it. There are many modern features that I don’t really use.
i watched that video, and it's not "identical" as on the original
first of all, not sure what's the point in using a weird button combo like NEXT+BACK to go back to bar 1 when the 303 has a "BAR RESET" button
on the 303, when you're writing tracks you don't have to "wait for the sequencer to start playing the pattern you chose" before pressing NEXT.. you can press NEXT immediately

the track from that video, can be programmed on a 303 with less button presses:
- switch to track write mode, press BAR RESET if you weren't on bar 1 already
- press RUN, press slot1+slot4 (chain), press D.C. (end of track marker), press WRITE/NEXT
- done

also, on the 303 you can see which bar you're on by holding the BAR key, and you can also dial-in a number to jump to a bar (works in full 256bars range iirc)

you can't "clear" a track, but seriously, do you need this?
press slot1 then WRITE/NEXT and repeat untill you're happy
Old 3rd March 2020
Lives for gear

seems the 303 front panel has been "cloned" too, so you have all the visual hints:
- buttons for pattern selection are labeled with red/orange on black (1 to 8, pattern sections A/B)
- buttons and labels related to track mode are indicated with the text in a box:
--- BAR
--- BAR RESET
--- D.C.
--- el signo
--- D.S.
--- WRITE/NEXT
--- selector 0 to 9, 100 and 200
--- DEL and INS
--- the track numbers on the track/bank rotary switch

just look at it

iirc there's no "BACK" in track mode on the 303, that button is for putting the Sign marker
Old 3rd March 2020
Gear Nut

Happy 303 day y´all !!!
Old 11th March 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm very quickly getting extremely frustrated with my RE303 and programming track mode. I've just watched several videos how to do this on a TB but evidently the same doesnt apply to the Sonic Potions CPU. I've read the manual back to front and still nothing.

Step 1: Enter track write mode
Step 2: Press play and it plays back my pattern (in this case slot 6)
Step 3: Press next and then select next pattern (so on and so forth)

However, this is where the issues start.

The TB process is to then select the final pattern, then press Pattern Clear followed by Write/Next in order to tell it that's the final pattern.
If I do this it doesnt really seem to do anything though.

Let's assume I entered an 8 pattern track and pressed Clear, Next at this point, my track plays the first 8 patterns then moves onto pattern 1 and plays that indefinitely.

Help!

Also, the manual says to clear a track:

Clear Track
- clear + next, then back = clear track

Just to be absolutely certain I assume I: Press Pattern Clear while simultaneoulsy pressing Write/Next, releasing them and then pressing Back. If so, it does nothing.
Track mode never worked with the sonic potions cpu, you're best bet would be the pixie cpu seeing as development on the sonic potions firmware has been dormant for quite a while.
Old 2nd April 2020
Here for the gear

Hello Guys,

I have a problem with my RE-303 which I purchased few days ago.

I played a sequenze with Cubase 10, but the 303 isnt playing all notes correctly. It has drop-outs from time to time.

I uploaded this little sequenze, so you can hear that in this case the machine isnt playing the "Accent" on the second bar. (I marked it in Soundcloud).

Sometimes the 303 is also missing complete notes.

I run Cubase as Administrator that cant be the reason.

MIDI Rx
MIDI Sync Rx
MIDI Tx

are all on

F = Internal timing is off.

Would be nice if you could help me out.
Thanks in advance!
Krys

https://soundcloud.com/krystianshek/test/s-6vBf66VtKuz
Old 13th April 2020
Here for the gear

So, I have an RE-303 with the Sonic Potions CPU...

How the fk do I use TAP mode? I cannot get this to work and the manual is beyond useless in the description part where it describes how to use TAP mode.

Would love to know how to do this, pretty essential part of using a 303.

Thanks
Old 14th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA LOADED View Post

How the fk do I use TAP mode? I cannot get this to work and the manual is beyond useless in the description part where it describes how to use TAP mode.

Thanks
hit clear while it's running in pattern Write. you should hear a metronome. then tap.
Old 14th April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA LOADED View Post

Thanks
This feature is not implemented with the Sonic Potions RE-303 CPU. You'll need to get the RE-CPU (Pixie) if you want the TB-303 to be fully reincarnated in your RE-303.
Old 14th April 2020
Lives for gear

aww
so did developement stop or something?
Old 15th April 2020
Gear Head

I installed the pixie CPU last night after a couple of years with the Sonic Potion CPU. The difference was "night and day".
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.colt View Post
I installed the pixie CPU last night after a couple of years with the Sonic Potion CPU. The difference was "night and day".
Can you share any more specific details on Sonic Potions vs. Pixie?

I was going to buy an RE-303 about 6 months ago, but held off when I read firmware development has basically stopped, so any bugs it has might never get fixed — such as the one where it skips the first note when you start playback if you stopped the sequencer while it was playing a slide note.

Seems like people are happy with the Pixie CPU so far, so I think I'm finally ready to order an RE-303, but would love to hear more feedback from anyone who has experience with both.

From what I've been able to gather so far, the Pixie is a straight emulation of the original CPU and has no additional features such as MIDI I/O or pattern randomization.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

The Pixie is a virtualisation of the original CPU, ie. to all intents and purposes it is the original CPU - buy with confidence
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
The Pixie is a virtualisation of the original CPU, ie. to all intents and purposes it is the original CPU - buy with confidence
Yeah, and that’s cool, but then the MIDI jacks on the back are meaningless, right? I guess there’s always DIN sync, but I was hoping to be able to play it via MIDI, where legato = slide and velocity > 100 = accent. If I understand correctly, the Sonic Potions CPU has those features…but also has some bugs?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Yeah, and that’s cool, but then the MIDI jacks on the back are meaningless, right? I guess there’s always DIN sync, but I was hoping to be able to play it via MIDI, where legato = slide and velocity > 100 = accent. If I understand correctly, the Sonic Potions CPU has those features…but also has some bugs?
In it's current state the Pixie only supports Midi Sync + Start/ Stop. By pressing Function + Pattern Clear you can select between Midi Sync Out (Time Mode Led lit) or Sync In (Time Mode Led off). The connection between the RE-303 and the other (Midi) device has to be done using the Midi Input or Output socket on the RE-303.

The seperate DinSync socket only works with DIN Sync devices.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlangGenerator View Post
In it's current state the Pixie only supports Midi Sync + Start/ Stop. By pressing Function + Pattern Clear you can select between Midi Sync Out (Time Mode Led lit) or Sync In (Time Mode Led off). The connection between the RE-303 and the other (Midi) device has to be done using the Midi Input or Output socket on the RE-303.

The seperate DinSync socket only works with DIN Sync devices.
Thanks for the info.

I'm kinda on the fence about this.

Although the Sonic Potions CPU has a couple of bugs (sometimes skips the first note, and tap mode doesn't work), the ability to generate random patterns and play it via MIDI notes are features I would definitely use. The first note bug will probably annoy me. Tap mode is not something I use much. There seems to be some hope that those bugs might still get fixed at some point though.

On the other hand, there's something reassuring about running the exact same code as the original. MIDI sync would work fine, and I can also use the trigger on my TR-08 or TR-09 (which is useful for applying shuffle).
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Playing a 303 externally is no fun - it sounds much better when playing the internal sequencer. I say that as an owner of the OG whose has been modded for CV/Gate/Accent In - I've never used it except to see how it works.

What's possibly more important is that you can sync it over Midi if you don't have any other DIN equipment, which Pixie does for you.

I don't need midi sync as I have a bunch of dinsync devices.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

That sums it up nicely! I actually unsoldered the MIDI out wires to remove any temptation to use future convenience features. It's the only way to experience the pain of programming a 303.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Perhaps a better question is whether the Pixie offers anything concrete that Sonic Potions doesn’t, besides avoiding the first note bug and non-working tap mode? Does it more accurately reproduce the timing jitter of the original sequencer, or anything like that?

I know how to use the internal sequencer and intend to do so (don’t need to be forced to use it by having no other options), but it actually is useful to be able to sequence with MIDI notes too. I often do that with ABL3 because it has no swing/shuffle (works very well), which is true of the original and RE-303 as well. The only way to add shuffle to an original is with triggers coming from something else that does have it (such as a 909).
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.colt View Post
That sums it up nicely! I actually unsoldered the MIDI out wires to remove any temptation to use future convenience features. It's the only way to experience the pain of programming a 303.
That is dedication.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear